Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

I will get footage of her flying. It's a thing to behold.

Also, you're far too kind. :derptiel: I'm always thrown off hearing my voice, because I completely unintentionally have drastically different speaking voices that I don't control. Being raised by a family that divorced in '89, with one side being southern as gently caress and the other being all British immigrants, means my accent is a pretty amorphous thing.

I currently visualize her in flight as though she opens her wings, then floats jerkily across the room like a poorly animated balloon.

My only accent-related story is from when I was on holiday in Prague. I was in a jewelers and was talking to the assistant, who had very good English, and also to my mother.
After the transaction was done, the assistant asked us what language we had been speaking to each other, was it maybe Norwegian?
I had to explain that it had been English the whole time, but Irish people tend to speak very very quickly and basically have to slow it all down to talk to non-native speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sorry I don't have any pictures, but something odd happened on today's visit to the magpies.

Every day I visit Mrs Clogs' family, and when she finds me I crouch down and she walks up and takes her meatball from my outstretched hand. She then turns away slightly and and starts eating it without moving away, and after a while turns back to wait for me to offer her another (she carries off the half-eaten remnants to eat later or feed to her children).

Today she ate most of her first, took an offered second, and then she declined a third meatball and just kind of fluffed herself up a bit more and retracted her head and just sat there, occasionally looking at me but mostly apprently relaxing.

This is only the second time a magpie has decided to sit next to me and just hang out, and the first time an adult has done it.

I'm honoured and flattered that she trusts me enough to relax within arm's reach

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GotLag posted:

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but something odd happened on today's visit to the magpies.

Every day I visit Mrs Clogs' family, and when she finds me I crouch down and she walks up and takes her meatball from my outstretched hand. She then turns away slightly and and starts eating it without moving away, and after a while turns back to wait for me to offer her another (she carries off the half-eaten remnants to eat later or feed to her children).

Today she ate most of her first, took an offered second, and then she declined a third meatball and just kind of fluffed herself up a bit more and retracted her head and just sat there, occasionally looking at me but mostly apprently relaxing.

This is only the second time a magpie has decided to sit next to me and just hang out, and the first time an adult has done it.

I'm honoured and flattered that she trusts me enough to relax within arm's reach

:kimchi:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It occurs to me that I'm the only one in Mrs Clogs' social circle at the moment who isn't one of her children.

Poor little lady :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Pookah posted:

I currently visualize her in flight as though she opens her wings, then floats jerkily across the room like a poorly animated balloon.

My only accent-related story is from when I was on holiday in Prague. I was in a jewelers and was talking to the assistant, who had very good English, and also to my mother.
After the transaction was done, the assistant asked us what language we had been speaking to each other, was it maybe Norwegian?
I had to explain that it had been English the whole time, but Irish people tend to speak very very quickly and basically have to slow it all down to talk to non-native speakers.

I pity those people when they first run into a drunk Welshman.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/InaV5VS.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it's cute because i assume the bird was fine but ngl that gives me anxiety because a plush landing from that high up could do serious damage to a bird

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think he was trying to rescue the Pikachu.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Corvids are very smart

quote:

Nests recovered from trees in Rotterdam in the Netherlands and Antwerp in Belgium were found to be constructed almost entirely from strips of long metal spikes that are often attached to buildings to deter birds from setting up home on the structures.

The discovery prompted researchers at the Natural History Museum in Rotterdam and the Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden to scour the internet for further examples, leading to the identification of two more anti-bird spike nests: one in Enschede in the Netherlands and another in Glasgow.

“I really thought I’d seen it all,” said Kees Moeliker, the director of the Natural History Museum Rotterdam, who studied the crow’s nest found during tree maintenance near the city’s main railway station. “I didn’t expect this. These anti-bird spikes are meant to deter birds, they are supposed to scare them off, but on the contrary, the birds just utilise them.”

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is awful at Nest Building while being very Fake Angry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt4HcGINTBE

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

Serra is awful at Nest Building while being very Fake Angry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt4HcGINTBE

Has anyone ever been actually bitten by a cockatiel?
My own experience is both very old and was only shortlived, but my lovely Looloo never did anything more painful than an angry beak bop. Even when she was furious, she would never hurt anyone.
She was a little saint:3:

Edit: all the lost pets are buried in the garden, and because my Da is a sculptor, they have a headstone with all their names on it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Pookah posted:

Has anyone ever been actually bitten by a cockatiel?
My own experience is both very old and was only shortlived, but my lovely Looloo never did anything more painful than an angry beak bop. Even when she was furious, she would never hurt anyone.
She was a little saint:3:

Edit: all the lost pets are buried in the garden, and because my Da is a sculptor, they have a headstone with all their names on it.

My late cockatiel, Birdo, would bite and occasionally find a good spot right at the edge of a fingernail that would actually hurt. He actually got me hard enough once to draw blood. Not much, of course.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Yeah, Tux can get nippy. He's never drawn blood but he can give an ouchy chomp if he wants to. He does this weird thing where he'll find a foot and start singing to it, then he'll bite it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/z3bRJHKShtE?feature=share9

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Just because of the sheer volume of 'tiels I was exposed to at the bird shop, yes, and some will 100% go for gold. But most are doofy little angels that want nothing more than perpetual whistling and scritches.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

When I got Ozzy, he would 100% go for blood, 100% of the time. The moment he discovered that he could give me a warning peck and I'd respect his No was a big day.

These days he doesn't bite, but he screams as though he will.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

alex will only get pretty bitey if you ‘harass’ him or dare to approach the cage door at night (like to close it lol)

otherwise he has about three levels of warning bite before it hurts. never blood before but i bet he could do it if he wants

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So there really are savage 'tiels who will pinch to the point of "owwie!"

Those little monsters :kimchi:

GotLag posted:

I know they are a completely different species, but I had a very similar experience with one of the grey crows (aka carrion crows) who lived for decades near my family home. We'd been feeding them and helping with the chicks for years at this point. One afternoon, when I was sitting outside with the Budgies and Pookie beside me in their outside cages, the father of the family flew down within 6 feet of us and stood on a flowerpot. There was no food around, no physical benefit to him, but he sat there and preened and just looked around generally for at least an hour.
I really think he just wanted to hang out for a while :3:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 12, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ah

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Thought the nostrils were lil' eyes for a moment

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

it does look really funny that way, lol.

oh guys look

a babby

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Maximum fluff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

grace doesn’t want to go to bed
she just wants to borb

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
:kimchi:

There is some Top Notch Floofery happening on this page.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

After months of trying I finally managed to entice the magpies down for a snack. Also saw some lorikeets and an eastern rosella, but neither of those compares to the joy of having magpie buddies again.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Feeling chill on a Sunday arvo

Then he heard a magpie lark outside

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

Feeling chill on a Sunday arvo

Then he heard a magpie lark outside

looooong neck

perfection

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Unsinkabear posted:

Welcome back LAB and congrats and your new family member from the Universal Cat Bird Distribution System. He is perfect and I love him.

The universe recently distributed me an otherwise wonderful cat who is disturbingly efficient at bird murder (on the street for at least a year with no weight loss or food anxiety, hunts feathered toys exclusively, and JUMPS... needless to say she is never going back outside in any capacity). So my dreams of bringing in a parrotlet or pigeon are wholly dashed for the foreseeable future, and I will be depending on this thread for my birbfren fix more than ever.

Hi Bear!! Thank you!! My forums use is definitely more sporadic than it used to be but it's nice to be back :lovebird: congratulations on your new family member too! I hope she is a wonderful friend to you. Given the dashed pigeon hopes, I will try to do my pigeon picture part :patriot:

baftime

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

He made Art in his water dish today after I gave him some wicker balls the parrots didn't like. He turned the whole thing bright green and he is proud of this, I know this because every time I approach he makes eye contact and then points his head at it and puffs up his happy face and quivers and flicks his wings in the ways that mean "I'm proud of this."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
On yesterday's visit with Mrs Clogs I saw her feeding one of her juveniles, and trying to feed the other even though it was not interested.
These juveniles are almost a year old and normally you'd expect the parents to stop feeding them after about six months or so, and stop begging by 8-9 months.

Mrs Clogs is still trying to feed them, I'm not sure if it's the sudden relative abundance of food when I hand her a couple of meatballs or if the death of Cleverclogs hit her harder than I previously thought.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 17, 2023

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Papa Grey Rump tends to shuffle off the nest when I come outside to water my plants, giving me a good chance to snap some quick shots of the babies. The parents are probably surprised I haven't eaten their them and their babies yet. I hope they figure out I'm on their side. I gave the parents corn but they did not accept.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He made Art in his water dish today after I gave him some wicker balls the parrots didn't like. He turned the whole thing bright green and he is proud of this, I know this because every time I approach he makes eye contact and then points his head at it and puffs up his happy face and quivers and flicks his wings in the ways that mean "I'm proud of this."

I really want a pigeon eventually. I think I should make that a goal. HE'S SO PRETTY.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

He is such a pretty pigeon :3: and I LOVE the pigeon babies. Thank you for your chronicles.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bet I could potty train Sinbad pretty easily. Today he was sitting quietly and vibing on my arm for like an hour. Then he got kind of agitated and chirpy, so I cooed at him and scratched his head. Then he pooped. In hindsight I think he was trying to tell me something.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely! I haven't been deliberately trying to train Tux, but he does seem to try and fly off me or wiggle his butt way out from my arm before he poops now. He seems to have figured out that if he poops on me, I'll get up and go to clean my shirt or change it and this interrupts his scritches time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm afraid I have accidentally taught one of my 'tiels the opposite. It's not uncommon for him to fly over, perch on my finger, take a dump on my shirt, then fly off again.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

nielsm posted:

I'm afraid I have accidentally taught one of my 'tiels the opposite. It's not uncommon for him to fly over, perch on my finger, take a dump on my shirt, then fly off again.

Banane figured that out too. He was such a little poo poo (working on paper artwork? DESTROY! Trying to eat pizza? WELL ITS MINE!!) and was the best.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

nielsm posted:

I would have Pinto out and she'd perch on top of my laptop screen and I didn't want her making GBS threads on the keyboard or whatever. So I set out a napkin or something for her to poop onto and when she did I made a big deal of going "GOOOD GIIIIIRRRRRLLLL!" and giving her a little sunflower niblet.

Did she learn that pooping on the napkins was good? No, she learned to poo poo while on the laptop.

Peanut, on the other hand, will gently nibble my ear to let me know he's gotta go. Peanut is easy to train because he is so drat food motivated. Pinto is motivated only by shoulder rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera likes to poo poo on the laptop and then he laughs when I wipe it up.