Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

I've been playing Frostpunk and it's great, but it's a little too punishing and the setting is obviously very bleak. Can anybody recommend a relatively chill, low stakes city builder/management game? Where you're unlikely to run into a big cascading chain of failures that fucks up your whole game.

the lowest stakes, chillest city builder of them all is Townscaper

i mean, its barely a game, you just click and make pretty little towns, there's no economy or management or anything, but it's fun and you can make some nice looking stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

I've been playing Frostpunk and it's great, but it's a little too punishing and the setting is obviously very bleak. Can anybody recommend a relatively chill, low stakes city builder/management game? Where you're unlikely to run into a big cascading chain of failures that fucks up your whole game.

Play Kingdoms and Castles, it's a very relaxed Logistics/Supply Chain Management game (like Settlers or Anno). Vikings and dragons invade your city every 5-10 years but you have plenty of time to prepare and honestly don't need to engage with the combat much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

Islanders is my favorite chill city builder.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I really liked Void Bastards. The roguelite gameplay loop was well implemented. I thought it struck a good balance between upgrades being important, while skill and understanding the game mechanics let you get away with a lot of stuff. I had a lot of fun, I'm surprised to see so many people being down on the game.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Any recommendations for a 2 player couch coop game on PC or PS4?

We’ve already played through all the EDFs, coop Resident Evil games, Snowrunner, and Lovers in a dangerous spacetime.

Preferably something that’s mission based with some sort of meta progression

Thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bishop Beo posted:

We’ve already played through all the EDFs, coop Resident Evil games, Snowrunner, and Lovers in a dangerous spacetime.

Thanks!

Jydge
Magicka
X-Morph: Defense
Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga
one of the recent sidescrolling beat-em-ups like River City Girls, Streets of Rage 4, or TMNT Shredder's Revenge

Vampire Survivors is supposed to be getting local co-op on August 17

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

StoryTime posted:

I really liked Void Bastards. The roguelite gameplay loop was well implemented. I thought it struck a good balance between upgrades being important, while skill and understanding the game mechanics let you get away with a lot of stuff. I had a lot of fun, I'm surprised to see so many people being down on the game.

Me too, I think it's pretty good.

Though personally I think it's way better with Ironman enabled, the game actually has some really good resource management when you've only got 1 life to live.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bishop Beo posted:

Thanks!

Streets of Rage 4 is a perfect couch game. There isn't a ton of meta progression, but the game loving owns anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shine posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is a perfect couch game. There isn't a ton of meta progression, but the game loving owns anyway.

There's a bunch of meta progression in the DLC with the survival mode.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What's the best tower defense game right now?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I would say the Creeper World series, and Creeper World 4 is a good place to jump in.

1. basically a really cool flash game that introduced the concept
2. a weird take, very different from the rest but i liked it
3. a polished perfect version of #1. may be the actual best game in the series
4. really awesome, lots of fun, but maybe not as much content overall as 3. however, it is 3D, which is maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 9, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Vampire Survivors

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not exactly what you meant, but Touhou 9.5: Shoot the Bullet is a game about taking photographs of bullet patterns.
The suggestion I needed to hear and the one I didn't know I needed to hear. Thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

What's the best tower defense game right now?

X-Morph: Defense
Immortal Defense
Creeper World
The Riftbreaker

Defender's Quest 2 is supposed to come out sometime this year

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I recently built a new pretty beefy PC and am looking for something good to make the most of its new hardware. I'm also looking for something that's chill with beautiful outdoor environments, but not strictly a walking simulator. Games that kind of hit that spot in the past were The Hunter (though tracking a kill can be tense) and Farming Simulator (though the environments were just nice since it's mostly farms.) Is there anything out there that would fit that description?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

I recently built a new pretty beefy PC and am looking for something good to make the most of its new hardware. I'm also looking for something that's chill with beautiful outdoor environments, but not strictly a walking simulator. Games that kind of hit that spot in the past were The Hunter (though tracking a kill can be tense) and Farming Simulator (though the environments were just nice since it's mostly farms.) Is there anything out there that would fit that description?

Death Stranding

(It’s not a walking simulator, it’s a strand-type game)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Death Stranding

Death Stranding is incredibly good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Genpei Turtle posted:

Maybe Red Dead Redemption 2 if you can deal with some not-chill. Either play the single player campaign until maybe late chapter 3/early chapter 4 then just go wild in the open world, or play Red Dead Online maybe (which limits things like camping and has other players in it, which both make it less than chill). The outdoor environments are really beautiful and you can absolutely just abandon the plot of the single player game and go off hunting and camping in the wild - just best to get a bunch of stuff unlocked through the story before you do.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 10, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

I have found satisfactory to be a great chill game

You may want to turn on peaceful mode or something though because the spiders are pretty not chill

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's not taxing so might not be what you're after, but The Witness is gorgeous (and a great puzzle game).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If that beefy PC includes a GPU that can manage it you should give Minecraft a whirl with ray tracing on. It genuinely changes the feel of the game and even if you don't get deep into it it's worth a walk around.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Death Stranding

Thanks, this looks good (though maybe not so chill if there's a lot of combat in it by the promo movie?) I'll definitely take a look at it.

Party Boat posted:

If that beefy PC includes a GPU that can manage it you should give Minecraft a whirl with ray tracing on. It genuinely changes the feel of the game and even if you don't get deep into it it's worth a walk around.

I did not know this was a thing, though I haven't played Minecraft in forever. I'll have to try it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

Thanks, this looks good (though maybe not so chill if there's a lot of combat in it by the promo movie?) I'll definitely take a look at it.

There are a couple long boss fights and sometimes you will need to huck trash boxes at a lot of MULE heads, but for the most part BTs can be avoided or stealth-killed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Maybe Red Dead Redemption 2 if you can deal with some not-chill. Either play the single player campaign until maybe late chapter 3/early chapter 4 then just go wild in the open world, or play Red Dead Online maybe (which limits things like camping and has other players in it, which both make it less than chill). The outdoor environments are really beautiful and you can absolutely just abandon the plot of the single player game and go off hunting and camping in the wild - just best to get a bunch of stuff unlocked through the story before you do.

Fwiw I tried RDR2 to put my beefy new PC (3070 etc) through its paces a couple of years ago and it ran kind of badly and just ended up pissing me off lol

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

The combat is pretty forgiving and, even then, relegated to clearly marked and mostly avoidable camps

It's a mostly chill game about hauling cargo across beautiful landscapes and setting up some light infrastructure to make that easier. It also, not for nothing, implements DLSS so it's going to run like buttered lightning on your new machine

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The combat is pretty forgiving and, even then, relegated to clearly marked and mostly avoidable camps

It's a mostly chill game about hauling cargo across beautiful landscapes and setting up some light infrastructure to make that easier. It also, not for nothing, implements DLSS so it's going to run like buttered lightning on your new machine

Does it look OK without DLSS/is it required? The one game I have that supports DLSS (Hitman 3) crashes constantly when I have it enabled, though performance wise it seems fine. I suspect there’s something with my hardware/OS combination that doesn’t mesh well with it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Does it look OK without DLSS/is it required? The one game I have that supports DLSS (Hitman 3) crashes constantly when I have it enabled, though performance wise it seems fine. I suspect there’s something with my hardware/OS combination that doesn’t mesh well with it.

It runs fantastically tbh, I ran it well on OK settings on my old PC which I replaced... Basically just after playing it, to the point where it made me feel guilty getting a new one lol

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah it runs very well without DLSS (to the point that I was actually surprised they bothered to patch it in after release), it’s just a nice way of getting absurdly high fps if your hardware supports it. You won’t really be missing out

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Genpei Turtle posted:

there's not a ton, it's mostly avoidable except in a few moments. but a lot of the early gameplay is like, carefully picking your way over the terrain while carrying huge stacks of packages that make you fall over, so it can be a bit stressful but its definitely not like a shooter or anything like that. gets more chill once you get vehicles. and the landscape is cool, there are nice musical interludes, good story, overall its a great game

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Genpei Turtle posted:

I did not know this was a thing, though I haven't played Minecraft in forever. I'll have to try it.

Sadly it's only on the Microsoft version not the old Java one - but that's available on PC gamepass which you should definitely subscribe to if you're looking for lots of PC games

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's a java shader pack that kind of simulates raytracing in a dollar store way--nowhere near the real deal but still extremely impressive relative to everything that isn't raytracing. I think it's a version of SEUS. My computer can't quite handle it, it runs around 20-25 FPS.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Flight Sim may fit the bill, you can try it out on Game Pass, and there should be enough assists that you can play pretty easily with controller without knowing much about actually flying an airplane.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MikeRabsitch posted:

Flight Sim may fit the bill, you can try it out on Game Pass, and there should be enough assists that you can play pretty easily with controller without knowing much about actually flying an airplane.

its got so many assists that you can just sit and watch a plane fly on autopilot from point a to point b if you want. though it does tend to crash into mountains sometimes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I refuse to play Flight Sim with a single assist turned on and as a result I don't think I've ever made it more than about ten feet forward and don't enjoy playing it. Yes I do have a brain disease

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I refuse to play Flight Sim with a single assist turned on and as a result I don't think I've ever made it more than about ten feet forward and don't enjoy playing it. Yes I do have a brain disease

the basic prop planes really arent that hard to deal with, and you can set it up so you start in midair if you don't want to deal with everything involved in a takeoff sequence.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
What are great, more obscure Ameriboo games?

I'm talking games made in Japan and set in America, or with a very heavy inspiration from American 80's action and horror movies. I pretty much always love this tone and style, and I'm open to games that are in the vein even if they're not from Japan or take place in America.

Here's a list of ones I've played/tried

Resident Evil (series)
Metal Gear Solid(series)
Death Stranding
Dead Rising (series)
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Deadly Premonition (series)
No More Heroes 3
Parasite Eve 1 & 2
Vanquish
Die Hard Arcade
Dynamite Cop
D2
Blue Stinger
Illbleed
Wanted:Dead (takes place in Hong Kong but scratches this itch)

Somethings I like that pops up in a lot of these games are big villain characters, good voice acting, stories that are constantly escalating, stories that are confined to one location (helps the pacing) and jacked bros getting kinda homoerotic with eachother.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 14, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Binary Domain is not on your list and you should rectify that immediately.

Also No More Heroes 1&2.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Michigan: Report From Hell

..maybe Beatdown? I dunno on that one

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Michigan: Report From Hell

This game was a fever dream

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Killer7
Metal Wolf Chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Bishop Beo posted:

Thanks!

Unraveled 2 is really pretty and a ton of fun if you're even slightly into platforming.