Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm sure NATO would have loved to stick their grubby little hands in Syria if they had half the chance to do so

my friend i have news for you about this group called The Kurds and boy did they get a raw deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Various NATO members are/did intervene in Syria, but NATO the organization didn’t go into Syria. Kind of like Russia is a CSTO member and Russia invaded Ukraine, but the CSTO did not invade Ukraine.

Turkey tried to get NATO involved in Syria, but the limit of that effort was NATO placing missile defense units inside Turkey to defend from stray rounds from the Syrian civil war.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I made a nato public forum livestream thread if anyone else is interested. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036386&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i like the unintentional bit of honesty that the march to war starts with a "free trade agreement"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

It rules that the nuke use nato panel keeps saying if nukes are used it was russia's fault because they were asking for it.

Edit: hell yeah now talking about how nato can be used as a nuclear deterrent against China to "get China onboard"

Dont know how anyone can look at these things and think nato should exist

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

It seems to me that they basically swapped out "overwhelming Russian FOOs, radio net and recce" with "overwhelming Russian armaments industry", with both relying on Russian casualty avoidance to actually take territory.

I'm a bit shocked the Ukrainians signed off on this though, because it's a strategy that meets NATO's need, prolonging the war and costing Russia, but does nothing for Ukraine and comes an extreme cost. I mean, philosophically they are literally spending flesh instead of steel to take trenches. It's 180 from the Great War.

Human wave tactics used to be an insult you'd throw at your enemies to demonstrate their inferiority, usually steeped in racial thinking. Or to cover up your embarassing loss behind the idea of the endless Asiatic horde, always steeped in racial thinking. Upon actual careful investigation I am not aware of it turning out that anyone has ever actually used human wave tactics.

Until now.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the ukrainian "human waves" are also more like small raiding forces. the goal is not to overwhelm by numbers, but to create just enough local force to generate the desired response. if this is indeed how they're playing it it's a strategy which requires a great deal of courage from the assault groups, seeing as how the desired response is the russians withdrawing and calling in a fire mission on their previous position

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah I guess technically it's infiltration tactics to try to use enemy artillery for your own benefit? Breaking a few eggs to make that omelette on the way.

Be real curious to see what happens to this tactic once they meet the actual Russian defensive line though. Seems like the whole thing falls apart once the Russians stop retreating and instead fight it out. Ofcourse if Russia can't stop to fight it out because either they still don't have the manpower across the whole line to do that succesfully or they are politically unable to do so due to casualties then this becomes an extremely bloody way to keep plodding forward for as long as the Ukrainian military is willing to bear the cost in blood.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's not a successful tactic, it literally can't succeed because they're actually killing anything but a few fortifications. It's a stalling tactic at best.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1678699399570939904

seems like an escalation when france is providing weapons to attack russia. but i'm no geopolitics expert

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah I guess technically it's infiltration tactics to try to use enemy artillery for your own benefit? Breaking a few eggs to make that omelette on the way.

Destroying enemy entrenchments not with your own artillery (which you don’t have) but by having them obliterate your men occupying them is hardly using their own weapons against them. It’s having them use their weapons against you, and destroying some trenches (again, which are filled with your men) in the process.

:psyduck:

Remember, in Paths of Glory it’s considered a sign of the indifference of French officers that they calmly recite X% of their own men will be killed by the barrage. Here, there is no friendly barrage, the trenches are destroyed by using your own men as targets for enemy artillery.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah isn’t that a huge escalation ??

nato is directly attacking Russia proper ?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Why would Russia want to change anything about how the war is going? Ukraine is trading lives for trenches which is literally what the trenches are made to do! They exist to stop the enemy from killing your dudes and equipment, to absorb shells so human beings don't have to.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

So my understanding of how Ukraine gets to participate in this conference is that their representatives get to sit in a side room while all the important discussions are happening and then they are wheeled out for photo opportunities?

Is the NAFO conference still going on? Ukraine will be treated with more respect over there :(

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So, Ukraine really did need to pull off a win before the conference started today, obviously.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe Zelensky should try winning the war before he makes demands

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

euphronius posted:

The pm of the neatherlands said nato needs to fight Russia in Ukraine or they will be fighting Russia in Europe.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1678699399570939904

seems like an escalation when france is providing weapons to attack russia. but i'm no geopolitics expert

euphronius posted:

the western ruling class is fine with escalation. they're fine with open war. either nato breaks russia and/or china, or their rule will be destabilized.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

this poo poo is dire, a close friend of mine has immersed himself in war videos and currently his ideology is that if the ukranians want to fight till the last man we should support them even though he believes russia will just wipe them out in the end
because we didnt commit hard enough in the beginning and that's why theyre going to lose now

I can't talk to him now that he's like that lol like bro

Viewing reality as an RTS where people are units that will fight till they die on command, and you can throw everything away to make sure the other player doesn't win.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This is a direct response to previous statements where he said he wouldnt go to the conferece if there werent any concrete plans for ukraine joining nato.

The US told him to go gently caress himself and get his rear end there. Hes ascting like he didnt know this would happen on his way there

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Viewing reality as an RTS where people are units that will fight till they die on command, and you can throw everything away to make sure the other player doesn't win.

he did say that ever since being a total war player he's been interest in wars and now he's witnessing irl
which like :bleak:

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Is that picture of the dudes with cargo shorts real or did they actually did slip in a pic from 2002 to see if anyone would notice?

lol, I just noticed the city name sports team shirt

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

the western ruling class is fine with escalation. they're fine with open war. either nato breaks russia and/or china, or their rule will be destabilized.

Well, no, because they hollowed out their states to the point where A) they can’t win, and B) there is no motivation to fight and die for them.

So, what’s their plan here? Nuclear war destroys capital, so that can’t be a solution either.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Good to see the US is getting what it wanted out of the Ukraine war. A recent near peer conflict to revise doctrine from. I'm sure those Ukrainian families with dead sons are glad they helped modernize the US war machine.

lmao they aren't going to change anything. No lessons will be learned.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

They did defeat the Russian BTG. Now they’re hosed because defeating the Russian MRD has been beyond their capabilities since 1995.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

Aren't scalp just Storm shadow with different branding?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Aren't scalp just Storm shadow with different branding?

From what I understand, SCALP EG, is essentially the same missile but uses a different interface to attach to the parent aircraft.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

From what I understand, SCALP EG, is essentially the same missile but uses a different interface to attach to the parent aircraft.

So they have to jury rig another interface on the soviet planes to use those I guess.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The pm of the neatherlands said nato needs to fight Russia in Ukraine or they will be fighting Russia in Europe.

Ive been reliably informed the Russian military is weak and incompetent. Why would anyone fear their attack?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"traditional" fire-and-maneuver is when you use indirect fire (i.e. artillery) to suppress a position, which lets your assault segment get in close enough to do the assault

"human wave" tactics as practiced by the DPRK and the Chinese Red Army during Korea (but specifically not the Soviet Union) is when you use direct fire to suppress a position, because you don't have enough artillery to do the fire half of fire-and-maneuver

infiltration tactics is when you use cover and concealment to close in on enemy positions without even needing to use the fire portion at all

I find it difficult to reconcile where Ukraine's reported tactics from that FF post fall within these very broad categories

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

They did defeat the Russian BTG. Now they’re hosed because defeating the Russian MRD has been beyond their capabilities since 1995.

Didn't Russia defeat the Russian BTG by discovering it didn't loving work and changing their strategy accordingly? I'm not sure how that counters 'the US will learn nothing and change nothing'

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Mr Hootington posted:

It rules that the nuke use nato panel keeps saying if nukes are used it was russia's fault because they were asking for it.

Edit: hell yeah now talking about how nato can be used as a nuclear deterrent against China to "get China onboard"

loving hell I thought you were talking about the NAFO meeting, not actual NATO.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nix Panicus posted:

i mean yeah them loving up the takeways is to be expected. if they are altering these wargames they did observe the things happening and are replicating them, which im sorry to say counts as learning.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

"traditional" fire-and-maneuver is when you use indirect fire (i.e. artillery) to suppress a position, which lets your assault segment get in close enough to do the assault

"human wave" tactics as practiced by the DPRK and the Chinese Red Army during Korea (but specifically not the Soviet Union) is when you use direct fire to suppress a position, because you don't have enough artillery to do the fire half of fire-and-maneuver

infiltration tactics is when you use cover and concealment to close in on enemy positions without even needing to use the fire portion at all

I find it difficult to reconcile where Ukraine's reported tactics from that FF post fall within these very broad categories

Manoeuvre-and-fire. You use MRAPs to close on enemy positions because you don't have enough artillery to do the fire half, or enough infantry weapons to direct fire, then the enemy destroys the position. You then feed new conscripts into the battle and receive new MRAPs from your sponsors - as long as they think you are damaging their geopolitical rival by taking those trenches.

Someone ITT described it as suicide bombing, which is essentially correct, and as a strategy that can’t win only prolong the war and cost Russia a small amount of casualties at huge cost to Ukraine, which is also true.

Easy enough to see it’s a strategy that benefits NATO, but again, why the gently caress did the Ukrainians sign off on this, even in principle? You can see it’s a losing proposition over any timeframe.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Jul 11, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1678787353786064896?s=20

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Didn't Russia defeat the Russian BTG by discovering it didn't loving work and changing their strategy accordingly? I'm not sure how that counters 'the US will learn nothing and change nothing'

By the very fact they have spec ops guys training to do terrorism behind the lines I think really shows we're just not going to change a single tacitic

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Destroying enemy entrenchments not with your own artillery (which you don’t have) but by having them obliterate your men occupying them is hardly using their own weapons against them. It’s having them use their weapons against you, and destroying some trenches (again, which are filled with your men) in the process.

:psyduck:

Remember, in Paths of Glory it’s considered a sign of the indifference of French officers that they calmly recite X% of their own men will be killed by the barrage. Here, there is no friendly barrage, the trenches are destroyed by using your own men as targets for enemy artillery.

Yeah but it gains them ground, and the stated strategic objective is recovering all occupied Ukrainian land no matter the cost, so this seems like the best shot they've got at achieving that goal.

The cost is horrendous, obviously, but as long as Russia keeps giving ground it technically works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Christ. Ukraine got hosed.

I mean, my sympathy is limited, I’m glad I ducked Babushka Duty so far, but… it takes 18 years to replace a soldier and we told them it would be worth it to impress us, to get more shells and long-term protection in the alliance, presumably saving lives. Now, they’ve spent flesh for nothing, because no steel or paper seems to be forthcoming.