Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

I was not aware of any of that and that's a huge bummer.

Always worth keeping in mind though that a handful of reviews from 2016(early days for the UHD format) when the Bourne UHDs came out, aren't necessarily guaranteed to be accurate. You never quite know how qualified these reviewers are and especially in the early days some of them just had kneejerk negative reactions to UHD transfers that they might not be as harsh about today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I still have my HD DVDs of Identity and Ultimatum (I have no idea where Supremacy went).

Also have one of 300 too. Zero devices to play these on unless I dig out my Xbox 360 from the garage.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Went hog-wild for Prime Day and bought a bunch of 4Ks:

Kong Skull Island (I swear I owned this on Blu but my collection tracker says I don’t, I guess we’ll see when I get home!)

Oblivion

Inglorious Basterds

Apollo 13

Gladiator

Thinking about grabbing the Arrow release of Flatliners even though it’s not on sale.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It seems like all the same stuff from last year on sale again, and I can't do the just grab a thing I wasn't hot on strictly because it's 10 bucks. Nothing in my keepa list got discounts :negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

It seems like all the same stuff from last year on sale again, and I can't do the just grab a thing I wasn't hot on strictly because it's 10 bucks. Nothing in my keepa list got discounts :negative:

I just don't typically have the willpower to hold off on these things until the big sales come around. So I end up looking at a list of stuff that I'm lukewarm on, because if I really wanted it I'd have bought it already.

Best Buy usually gets me with their Black Friday deals just because I'm there physically in the store and it's so easy to just grab XXX: The Return of Xander Cage off the shelf for $5 or whatever.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

I just don't typically have the willpower to hold off on these things until the big sales come around. So I end up looking at a list of stuff that I'm lukewarm on, because if I really wanted it I'd have bought it already.

Best Buy usually gets me with their Black Friday deals just because I'm there physically in the store and it's so easy to just grab XXX: The Return of Xander Cage off the shelf for $5 or whatever.

I feel you, I only started waiting after buying something close to prime/BF sales, then it going for half of what I paid. Felt like it's rare for these catalog standard editions to go unavailable (not saying they dont ala goodfellas, but it's a slow process) so waiting to see what happens usually works out well if you can

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Kill me now

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im glad I own most of what I want already in that sale. Besides I'm saving this non-rent paycheck for the Criterion sale to grab the stuff I didnt a week ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
$17 for Apocalypse Now is a steal, that one's a must own.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

$17 for Apocalypse Now is a steal, that one's a must own.

This one hits 13 now and then, if you're willing to wait around, but that's still a solid price for a 6 disc set

it looks like they keep adding discs, so I'm still refreshing, but I doubt any of the stuff I've had on my list (batman 89 etc) are hitting BF prices during this

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Lebowski shows as $11 when I search for it, how did you get it for less?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm used to Prime Day deals being too random to bother with so was surprised with some of these, found Godzilla (2014) for $10 and the LOTR trilogy for a good discount.

(That said Amazon's site navigation is utter rear end these days.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zer0spunk posted:

This one hits 13 now and then, if you're willing to wait around, but that's still a solid price for a 6 disc set

it looks like they keep adding discs, so I'm still refreshing, but I doubt any of the stuff I've had on my list (batman 89 etc) are hitting BF prices during this

Batman 4-film 4K set is on sale for $40.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Xenomrph posted:

Batman 4-film 4K set is on sale for $40.

Yeah but then I'd have to throw away batman forever and batman and robin

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

But those are the only good batman movies?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zer0spunk posted:

I saw a really interesting “defense” of the Schumacher Batman movies as being genuinely made big budget updates of the Adam West Batman (and early comics Batman) formula.

Whether that’s what 90s audiences actually wanted in the wake of the Burton movies is its own discussion, but the thesis that they’re a perfectly valid interpretation of Batman with extensive historical precedent was sound, and it made me be a lot softer on those movies.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Xenomrph posted:

Big Lebowski shows as $11 when I search for it, how did you get it for less?

Clerical error?

I have no idea I'm practically shoplifting.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Does anyone have or know of the dimensions needed to replace blu-ray covers? I just purchased some blu-ray cases because I'm finally going to design my own cover art for that ginormous Twin Peaks box of the series and break down the entire thing by season in their own cases.

Season 1 is 2 Discs so that's easy enough for me to ccan
Season 3 is 8 Discs and I found a similar sized case in my collection I can scan the cover art for to get the dimensions of the cover.

but I can't find a 6 disc case in my collection that would have the equal size to the case I just bought for season 2.

Or maybe there are free templates online available somewhere I just cant find?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Xenomrph posted:

I saw a really interesting “defense” of the Schumacher Batman movies as being genuinely made big budget updates of the Adam West Batman (and early comics Batman) formula.

Whether that’s what 90s audiences actually wanted in the wake of the Burton movies is its own discussion, but the thesis that they’re a perfectly valid interpretation of Batman with extensive historical precedent was sound, and it made me be a lot softer on those movies.

yeah tell that to the kid in me who just wanted more Burton stuff and felt really let down in the theaters..and let's not talk about the 4th one with the batcredit card....

i'm not a camp fan, the burtonverse is about as much as i'll go in that vein with batman..call it childhood reverence for an admittedly really laughable one-note character

e: you also had heart of ice come out in 1992, an emmy winning ep of the animated series that gave mr freeze some pathos, especially for a batman thing. So when arnold rolls around in 95, even as a kid its like the gently caress is this

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 11, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Schumacher Batmans also look amazing on UHD due to the garish colors and the elaborate sets. Obviously that only goes so far, it's not gonna make them worth buying if you just don't like the movies at all but if you like them then you might be pleasantly surprised by how great the UHDs look.

Like you just mentioned Arnold, his makeup looks incredible on that UHD.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

Like you just mentioned Arnold, his makeup looks incredible on that UHD.

I'm sure his sparkly glitter makeup shines like the sun in 4k, but I'm too far gone and bitter, friend. I feel like they don't discount the first 2 anymore in that set to move all 4..though I think they did hit 10 each one BF..so here's hoping.

e: I think I vaguely remember reading that tommy lee jones was absolutely miserable making that movie, maybe I'd rewatch 3 in that context just to see if I can see his soul leave his body mid scene

lol yep

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/tommy-lee-jones-hated-working-jim-carrey-batman-forever-1045176/

quote:

And he said, ‘I cannot sanction your buffoonery.'”

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 11, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

See I'm not actually sure they commit enough to that concept to really work.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maxwell Lord posted:

See I'm not actually sure they commit enough to that concept to really work.

While it’s on my mind, here’s the specific YouTube video I was referring to:

https://youtu.be/zKnGolObx0k

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My issue is that I already have a great steelbook for Batman 1989!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Joel Schumacher is a wonderful director and I have no doubt his movies look beautiful in 4K. I'm tempted to get The Lost Boys for that reason but my collection is meant to be sentimentality first, quality second so my partner's childhood DVD is good enough for me for now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

My issue is that I already have a great steelbook for Batman 1989!

Multiple times I've bought standard 4k releases and then taken the disc out and put it in the nice steelbook case that I already owned.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Multiple times I've bought standard 4k releases and then taken the disc out and put it in the nice steelbook case that I already owned.

I do that constantly. Hell I just did it yesterday with Escape from New York.

poo poo, it’s tripped me up a couple times when I look at movies I own - I was looking at my “DVD” copy of Master and Commander just last night and saying “how have I never upgraded this?” - turns out I had, I’d just kept the DVD set because the packaging looks nicer and has a ton of bonus features that weren’t ported to the Blu-ray.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

e: I think I vaguely remember reading that tommy lee jones was absolutely miserable making that movie, maybe I'd rewatch 3 in that context just to see if I can see his soul leave his body mid scene

I don't know if Carrey was full Method at that point in his career, but if he was I bet that set was a nightmare to be on with him.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trying to limit even more purchases since I bought stuff from the B&N sale and the Arrow sale already, but grabbed the first three John Wicks & EEAAO in 4K with on page coupons and the Cornetto Trilogy pack + The Big Lebowski today since I got a raise. I think with all of that it might be the exact amount of room I have left on my shelf without changing how they're on the shelf so that might actually stop me from getting things on sale for now. Maybe I don't need things like both cuts of superman 2 on my shelf at once or stargate universe on my shelf at all.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

graventy posted:

I don't know if Carrey was full Method at that point in his career, but if he was I bet that set was a nightmare to be on with him.

You gotta laugh though at a grumpy tommy lee jones in a half-magenta suit. Bro, what set did you think you were on?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

You gotta laugh though at a grumpy tommy lee jones in a half-magenta suit. Bro, what set did you think you were on?

I also like that he clearly didn't care about the Two-Face character specifically and decided he just wanted to do his version of Nicholson's Joker.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ordered Creed and Creed 2 on 4K for $23. Thanks, Prime Day!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Total Recall 4k for sub-10 bucks? Hell yes!

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

my Total Recall 4K from best buy is hosed up and idk who to even talk to about that. (receipt is long gone?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

)*

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Xenomrph posted:

I do that constantly. Hell I just did it yesterday with Escape from New York.

poo poo, it’s tripped me up a couple times when I look at movies I own - I was looking at my “DVD” copy of Master and Commander just last night and saying “how have I never upgraded this?” - turns out I had, I’d just kept the DVD set because the packaging looks nicer and has a ton of bonus features that weren’t ported to the Blu-ray.

My Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Fight Club DVDs have this going on. Half tempted to just put the bluray in a paper sleeve and fold it into the package.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

My Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Fight Club DVDs have this going on. Half tempted to just put the bluray in a paper sleeve and fold it into the package.

I do that all the time, too. A ton of my 1-disc Steelbooks have a paper-sleeve Blu-ray in them now to go along with the upgraded 4K disc in the main slot.

I figure I might as well keep the Blu-ray, mostly because a lot of special features don’t get ported to 4K but also as a courtesy to my philistine friends and family who refuse to upgrade to 4K but still want to borrow my poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oops. I left UHDs of Spartacus and The Northman in my cart and they sold out. Unless something really cool comes along I think I’m gonna sit this out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Do I pay $7 more to not get the flask that comes with the Justified complete series bluray set? Hmm.

Edit: well I'm not entirely sure why but if I use the link on blu-ray.com it offers me a $19.56 coupon for the version that doesn't have the flask??? So looks like I'm getting that.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just impulse bought the Lone Wolf and Cub set for $49.