Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
a lot of people self medicate beforehand as well. I have one friend who avoids flying if its remotely possible and if he has to fly does it drunk and with a buddy so that flight attendants aren't stuck with him. My other friend has to fly for work reasonably often just pays for the seat upgrade and adds pills to the mix and wakes up where he's going. To be fair to him he was fine with flying until his friend since old times died in a plane crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

oldpainless posted:

There’s a reason it stands for anal rifle

Rookie mistake, it actually means assault rectum.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Maldraedior posted:

My other friend has to fly for work reasonably often just pays for the seat upgrade and adds pills to the mix and wakes up where he's going.

My wife and I were flying to Hawaii and we had to turn around after half way due to engine failure. Never been so glad to be in first class with a bottle of xanax.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Why did they turn back if they were past the halfway point? Wouldn't it be safer to travel the shortest distance?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I always find flying to be zen as hell, because either I’m getting where I’m going or I’m not and there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it so why worry

It’s like the one thing I can control my anxiety over lol

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Government Handjob posted:

Why did they turn back if they were past the halfway point? Wouldn't it be safer to travel the shortest distance?

idk probably easier and cheaper to fix the plane on the mainland.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
I just don't like how cramped flying is

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I always find flying to be zen as hell, because either I’m getting where I’m going or I’m not and there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it so why worry

It’s like the one thing I can control my anxiety over lol

I find the cabin noise soothing. I even like the ding dong before announcements. I like the feel of the air. It makes me nostalgic for childhood holidays. And these days I like being forced to use flight mode.

E: oh and the views, obviously. I don't mind airports either, I like having a set route you have to walk round.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everything is fine until the person in front of me reclines their seat

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Turbulence can die in a loving fire you know what trains don't do? Drop you large distances for no good reason

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
There's no greater punishment for your sins than to be stuck in an airport waiting with no idea how long the wait will be. The real fun starts when security and restaurant staff all leave for the night and the cleaning crew comes out and you start wondering if anyone even remembers you're there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

Turbulence can die in a loving fire you know what trains don't do? Drop you large distances for no good reason

Usually.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mauser posted:

There's no greater punishment for your sins than to be stuck in an airport waiting with no idea how long the wait will be. The real fun starts when security and restaurant staff all leave for the night and the cleaning crew comes out and you start wondering if anyone even remembers you're there.

I once got flown to an entirely different city because the flight got delayed so long that we couldn't land at our destination bc of noise curfews

They got us a loving overnight greyhound for the rest of the trip lmao

To be fair, the train didn't do that, the bridge did

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Killingyouguy! posted:

I wish I could just hop on a train and get wherever I pleased instead of flying but The Haters have decided no bullet trains here, not even a Eurostar...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate flying and generally feel like I'm about to have a breakdown even before I get on the plane just from the extreme amount of waiting and invasive security poo poo at airports. I can very much understand why people with legit mental illness constantly snap and flip out on planes. I think the real shocking thing is how many people don't lose their poo poo on planes, because flying god drat sucks. You've paid like $1400 to wait around in an airport for 2 hours after people take nude pictures of you and root around in your underwear, then you're stuck on a cramped metal tube for 10 hours with a wailing baby 2' from your ear. Within the first few hours half the bathrooms are out of order for some reason with perpetual lines. And you're almost certainly going to get sick. Once you finally actually land you find out they lost your luggage again.

At least the food is usually pretty ok. That's the one complaint I never understand, I've always had pretty fine to actually good food on flights.

I do love seaplanes though. None of the security theatre poo poo, you just show up 30 min before your flight, hop on, and you're at your destination in like 15-30 min. Fly low enough for an amazing view the whole time. A bit bumpy. Also since they usually fly downtown to downtown you can walk to the seaplanes and then walk from them. It's cool being able to visit seattle or vancouver and never use any sort of ground vehicle.

Baronjutter has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Jul 11, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Would love to have shitloads of passenger rail in the US but I do love flying too. I love looking out the window. I love being in the big weird machine that makes absurd levels of force to whisk me through the air smoothly like an ancient deity while I just chill and do whatever the hell. Even as a tall person with long legs it’s pretty great overall

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Baronjutter posted:

I hate flying and generally feel like I'm about to have a breakdown even before I get on the plane just from the extreme amount of waiting and invasive security poo poo at airports. I can very much understand why people with legit mental illness constantly snap and flip out on planes. I think the real shocking thing is how many people don't lose their poo poo on planes, because flying god drat sucks. You've paid like $1400 to wait around in an airport for 2 hours after people take nude pictures of you and root around in your underwear, then you're stuck on a cramped metal tube for 10 hours with a wailing baby 2' from your ear. Within the first few hours half the bathrooms are out of order for some reason with perpetual lines. And you're almost certainly going to get sick. Once you finally actually land you find out they lost your luggage again.

At least the food is usually pretty ok. That's the one complaint I never understand, I've always had pretty fine to actually good food on flights.

get a prescription for xanax for flying, it's the don't care drug

also don't use it for anything else because benzo withdrawal (from continuous use) is worse than heroin

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah I have klonopin for anxiety attacks and it is great for about 2h of bravery followed by an entire day of 'no you may not have more klonopin'

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Turbulence just turns a boring wait into a fun ride. loving love turbulence

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Turbulence just turns a boring wait into a fun ride. loving love turbulence

This website is frequented by madmen

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
still can't believe TSA hasn't been abolished yet. poo poo has been a joke since day one, and they stole my loving duty free booze cause they're bastards.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

My booze never has doody in it…

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
oops

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just take a single weed gummy and that's enough to kick in by the time I get to the airport, and last until I'm at least on the plane and in the air. Though I guess there are some people that are just too midwestern to do a weed, (it's legal in Massachusetts) so they just jump straight to crystal meth and stuff like this happens.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not have irrational fears about flying

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mauser posted:

Yes, that's the spot. I call this 'stagnant chaos' - things are constantly happening but none of it matters to you. Add to that most airports have awful acoustics and are packed with loud and/or invasive advertising.

While you're up in the air you're at least getting closer to your destination.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I used to take the Amtrak from VA to NYC all of the time and it loving rocked because the six hours on the train wasn’t that much longer than dealing with the whole airport rigamarole, plus you disappear under the Hudson and ten minutes later you walk up some stairs and you’re in the middle of Manhattan

Then on our last trip the conductor got on the intercom 20 minutes after leaving the station to announce that someone had taken a poo poo in the bathroom sink and we wouldn’t have a bathroom on our car for the rest of the trip

That was cool

Content:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Classic NYC

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Blame Hitler for there not being more trains in the USA

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...

well yes but actually you're forgetting about having to share your cabin with 3 other strangers, 2 of which are drunk and wont shut the gently caress up, and another elderly gentlemen who doesn't stop farting throughout the night, and then you think "oh I can just go to the train bar and hang out there" then you meet some crazy bulgarian dude who just opened a coffeeshop in amsterdam and I should totally check it out I'm gonna check it out right yeah totally I'm totally gonna go yes please share your contact details and socials and make sure I follow your lovely instagram page sure dude sure

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I would simply not have irrational fears about flying

more like oldplaneless

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

They got us a loving overnight greyhound for the rest of the trip lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GR4h6d4sa8

I'm the "GATE: Curb" on the airplane ticket.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pastor of muppets posted:

I used to take the Amtrak from VA to NYC all of the time and it loving rocked because the six hours on the train wasn’t that much longer than dealing with the whole airport rigamarole, plus you disappear under the Hudson and ten minutes later you walk up some stairs and you’re in the middle of Manhattan

Then on our last trip the conductor got on the intercom 20 minutes after leaving the station to announce that someone had taken a poo poo in the bathroom sink and we wouldn’t have a bathroom on our car for the rest of the trip

That was cool

Content:

that was you, right

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

still can't believe TSA hasn't been abolished yet. poo poo has been a joke since day one, and they stole my loving duty free booze cause they're bastards.
No politicians can ever get rid of stuff like that because they would be blamed for any bad things that happened after that (even if the TSA completely fails to stop people from bringing weapons on planes most of the time)