Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which main event fighter are you most looking forward to seeing in July?
This poll is closed.
Sean StricHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Alexander VolkanHOLLY HOLM 9 30.00%
Holly Holm 11 36.67%
A.J. McKHOLLY HOLM 0 0%
Roman KrykHOLLY HOLM 1 3.33%
Dustin PHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Justin GaetHOLLY HOLM 3 10.00%
Tom AspHOLLY HOLM 2 6.67%
Total: 30 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1678755481433567234?t=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fury will probably win that but Francis will make more money than he ever did in the UFC in a single bout.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
gently caress Yea! Glad his bet on himself will pay off and get him an insane payday (but sad it's blood money but that's the world today)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dana could've had a bad bitch

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I hope Francis gets his payday, but I really doubt it will ever happen. Fury is notorious for not going through with these kinds of things, and he has a lot of big money fights that would actually mean something that he could make.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I made the mistake if looking elsewhere and Du Plessus is being hailed as a hero because of reverse racism and ignoring literally everything he said up to that point. Izzy was a gently caress too but the overtones of white saviour and Great White Hope are everywhere.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lid posted:

I made the mistake if looking elsewhere

I understand that you have poor impulse control, but why are you sharing this poo poo with us?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lid posted:

I made the mistake if looking elsewhere and Du Plessus is being hailed as a hero because of reverse racism and ignoring literally everything he said up to that point. Izzy was a gently caress too but the overtones of white saviour and Great White Hope are everywhere.

A white South African saying he was going to be the first fighter to bring a belt back home to Africa when Izzy, Kamaru, and Francis exist is pretty hosed. I can get why Izzy reacted the way he did.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lone Goat posted:

I understand that you have poor impulse control, but why are you sharing this poo poo with us?

The run up to this fight is probably going to be real bad for the sport so if that was too much for you the next few months are going to be deeply unpleasant.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

I hope Francis gets his payday, but I really doubt it will ever happen. Fury is notorious for not going through with these kinds of things, and he has a lot of big money fights that would actually mean something that he could make.

See, I feel like this one's likely to actually happen. It's a huge money fight that will get Fury more publicity than anyone else outside of the people he already doesn't want to fight except this time Fury's practically guaranteed a win.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Fury will never make so much for doing so little. Ngannou poses very little threat to him in boxing. I think it happens.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

The run up to this fight is probably going to be real bad for the sport so if that was too much for you the next few months are going to be deeply unpleasant.

Yeah that's a big part of why I've been drifting further away from ufc the past few years.

But the whole point of following MMA here and nowhere else is to avoid the world's shittiest opinions. I don't see the need for people to import them into this thread, and I'd prefer not to be involved with their bad take fetish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's why we have the quarantine thread

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

See, I feel like this one's likely to actually happen. It's a huge money fight that will get Fury more publicity than anyone else outside of the people he already doesn't want to fight except this time Fury's practically guaranteed a win.

See I don’t read believe Fury has it in him to duck Usyk for too long. Plus Fury could basically push the “easy money” button and fight Joshua at Wembley for all of the money whenever he wants. Just seems like a very weird thing for Fury to do now.

Marching Powder posted:

There seems to be some awareness on Du Plessis part that he hosed up, so I’m cautiously optimistic that this might not be awful. He backpedaled pretty hard after he made the initial comments about being the African champion, and all he said back to Izzy was “what will you say to the people in New Zealand” so I wouldn’t be surprised if this either dies down or just ends up as Izzy screaming the N word into the ether.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he’ll never fight usyk, whereas ngannou is easy money and he’ll probably get a million new fans in the process from all the mma fans who tune in just because you never know. good for ngannou though, hope he gets paid and fucks off into comfortable retirement with the last lingering whiffs of prestige of the ufc heavyweight division

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don’t care at all about the stupid drama with du plescis and izzy but the fight is basically guaranteed to be funny/weird/good (at least one of these) so i’m all for it tbh

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

Fury will never make so much for doing so little. Ngannou poses very little threat to him in boxing. I think it happens.

Yeah I came to post this exactly. He's just gonna show up for 1 day of work, make Francis look like an amateur clown and make enough money for every single person itt combined to retire 10x over

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Colby covington is rolling in his grave that he's not getting to profit off of all this Racism

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

What’s the reigning champ for worst press tour? Aldo-McGregor? Mayweather-McGregor?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah I came to post this exactly. He's just gonna show up for 1 day of work, make Francis look like an amateur clown and make enough money for every single person itt combined to retire 10x over

Is it still slated to be an exhibition match? Or does being in Riyadh allow them to dodge all commissions and do a "proper" bout?

If it's the former, then yeah I fully expect a six round dance routine like Mayweather vs Logan Paul.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm still mad at Hendricks. The version of him at UFC 171 is probably the best Welterweight in the sport up to that point. He finally delivered on all that promise. It all came together. His striking, wrestling, game planning. He even added leg kicks. And he dug deep. I don't agree with the decision, but being able to rally and win the last round after rounds 3 and 4 is bloody impressive. He finally won me over. And then he followed it up by never looking even passable as a fighter ever again.

has there been a fighter who's dropped off a cliff harder then Hendricks? he looked so good in those GSP/Lawler fights and then that Wonderboy fight happened and everything just went to complete dog poo poo.

mister
Dec 18, 2011
Barao is the first one that comes to mind. He was never the same after the Dillashaw loss.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

My first thought is Daron Cruickshank - when he first got into the UFC I loved his fights, but his career can definitely be summarized as "before the eye injury (16-5)" and "after the eye injury (7-9)"

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Marlon Moraes has been pretty depressing to watch imo

But it's still probably Hendricks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lone Goat posted:

But the whole point of following MMA here and nowhere else is to avoid the world's shittiest opinions. I don't see the need for people to import them into this thread, and I'd prefer not to be involved with their bad take fetish.

I'm ok with knowing context going into a fight. Carl's previews continue to confront the industry/ landscape in which fighters work, and that lets us be informed fans. As he's shown, it is impossible to separate the sport at this level from the capricious and unsatisfying matchmaking. We're basically always rooting against Dana in every fight and every inconveniencing outcome.
We root against Colby cuz he's a willing participant to the MAGA movement. I suppose some might not like his style in a vacuum, too. I have zero problem keeping up to date in as objective way as possible how much of a shithead every fighter is. Keep reminding me that Izzy is transphobic. Let me know if GSP rolls with Elon again.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

Agreeing with this post

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

He didn't get that much done in the UFC but if you followed Hector Lombard's earlier career his dropoff was pretty brutal

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Weidman

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It has to be Barao. He won the belt and defended it three times before losing to TJ twice. Five fights (1-4) later, he was losing to Andre Ewell while missing weight. At least Chris lost to respectable names and neither he nor Hendricks had an 0-5 streak.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 11, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm ok with knowing context going into a fight. Carl's previews continue to confront the industry/ landscape in which fighters work, and that lets us be informed fans. As he's shown, it is impossible to separate the sport at this level from the capricious and unsatisfying matchmaking. We're basically always rooting against Dana in every fight and every inconveniencing outcome.
We root against Colby cuz he's a willing participant to the MAGA movement. I suppose some might not like his style in a vacuum, too. I have zero problem keeping up to date in as objective way as possible how much of a shithead every fighter is. Keep reminding me that Izzy is transphobic. Let me know if GSP rolls with Elon again.

I think the objection was not to posts about the fighters (or dana) directly, but something like "here's what the worst bystanders with a blue checkmark said", you know?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Uncle Creepy could make a case. Yan is 1-4 his last 5.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Bigfoot Silva is probably the most depressing slide now that I think about it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah to be clear, the problem isn't finding out which fighters are shitheads (most of them), but this:

Brut posted:

I think the objection was not to posts about the fighters (or dana) directly, but something like "here's what the worst bystanders with a blue checkmark said", you know?

It's bad enough we got fighters shaking hands with Trump in the arena, or giving unhinged post match qanon child safety rants, but I absolutely do not need to know the opinions of some dipshit on another social media outlet.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pretty big news.
https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1678887788463423489?s=20

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If you somehow haven't seen this fight, go watch it now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRSavbVM_s4it's genuinely one of the best fights the sport has ever produced. Ideally, show it to someone who has watched very little MMA up to this point.

As for major drop offs, I'd still say it's Hendricks. A lot of those guys lost a physical trait that made them good. Chuck and Moraes' chins utterly went, for instance. Yan's fought high level guys and been hosed over by a bad decision. Barao was clearly mentally broken from the two very sustained beatdowns. Hendricks...just lost it. Every aspect of his game suddenly went. He went from being able to box with Lawler in the pocket to looking confused about what a jab was. He stopped kicking only a fight after he started. He could no longer set up his takedowns or complete them when he shot. His gas tank turned comically bad. Like, literally everything fell apart for him. I don't think any of the others fell apart so consistently across the board. Even before the Thompson knockout, he looked like absolute lukewarm dogshit against Lawler the second time and was terrified to engage against Matt Brown. That was one of the worst instances of 'lay and pray' i can remember. Something snapped in him. I mean, missing weight, really badly, a weight class up, when you're loving 5'9 is completely incomprehensible.

I'd actually like to read a genuinely honest autobiography from him. I wonder if he even knows what happened to him

Ah, he must have heard me when I said he should quit and just stand around being good looking.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't really understand why any B-league would voluntarily adopt USADA

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

moctopus posted:

Uncle Creepy could make a case. Yan is 1-4 his last 5.

By the numbers maybe, but if you look at the actual fights, yeah his last one was a blowout but Merab is arguably the second best bantamweight on the roster right now, the fight before that was complete bullshit (see attachment), before that it's a relatively close decision loss to the champ, and before that it was a fight he was winning until he lost it for himself in the most hilarious way.

Moraes is probably my answer as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

sausage king of Chicago posted:

has there been a fighter who's dropped off a cliff harder then Hendricks? he looked so good in those GSP/Lawler fights and then that Wonderboy fight happened and everything just went to complete dog poo poo.

Weidman is the first that comes to my mind.

Anderson after the first knockout is probably the second

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thought of another, Cody Garbs

11-0 leading into fighting Cruz. Styled on him like no one ever did and won the title. Went on to lose 3 straight, all KOs, and 2 back to backs against TJ

2-5 since the Cruz fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
BJ Penn fell off hard too. A work ethic issue according to news outlets and various social media posts.