Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i think generally your experience will only improve, the first 5 or so levels in PF2 are the weakest experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Coming from 3.5 almost anything is going to seem incredible, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's some Rage of Elements previews going live right now. Check Youtube.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is Vigilante still a possible class in 2E? I always wanted to play one in 1E because Medieval Batman/ Dr. Strange is a badass concept.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Vigilante archetype: https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=80

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Is Vigilante still a possible class in 2E? I always wanted to play one in 1E because Medieval Batman/ Dr. Strange is a badass concept.

It’s not a class any more. It’s an archetype that you can take no matter what class you are - the important thing about this change is that it means you don’t have mechanical support for your secret identity until you get to level 2.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

It's an Archetype now rather than a class, which makes more sense. The dual-identity stuff isn't enough for a class, and the superhero stuff was too much for one class. Now you can be an Investigator/Vigilante or Inventor/Vigilante if you want to be Batman, a Wizard/Vigilante or Sorcerer/Vigilante if you want to be Dr. Strange, a Barbarian/Vigilante if you want to be the Hulk, a Witch/Vigilante if you want to be a magical girl, etc.

Edit: Come to think of it, basically all the well-known Marvel superheroes are playable in Pathfinder 2e. Captain America is a Fighter or Champion, Iron Man is an Armor Innovation Inventor, Black Widow is a Rogue or Gunslinger, Wolverine is an Animal Instinct Barbarian...

Edit 2: The Anadi ancestry even lets you be Spider-Man, sort-of.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 6, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

It's an Archetype now rather than a class, which makes more sense. The dual-identity stuff isn't enough for a class, and the superhero stuff was too much for one class. Now you can be an Investigator/Vigilante or Inventor/Vigilante if you want to be Batman, a Wizard/Vigilante or Sorcerer/Vigilante if you want to be Dr. Strange, a Barbarian/Vigilante if you want to be the Hulk, a Witch/Vigilante if you want to be a magical girl, etc.

Edit: Come to think of it, basically all the well-known Marvel superheroes are playable in Pathfinder 2e. Captain America is a Fighter or Champion, Iron Man is an Armor Innovation Inventor, Black Widow is a Rogue or Gunslinger, Wolverine is an Animal Instinct Barbarian...

Edit 2: The Anadi ancestry even lets you be Spider-Man, sort-of.

If I wanted to make a 1E Cabalist/ Vigilante what would be the closest thing: starting Witch and going into Viligante, with a dip into Magus?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

If I wanted to make a 1E Cabalist/ Vigilante what would be the closest thing: starting Witch and going into Viligante, with a dip into Magus?

just go with one of witch or magus, whichever feels more appropriate, and take the vigilante archetype. you don't need to do both.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TulliusCicero posted:

How do you want to primarily fight in combat? If the answer is "with a weapon", then Magus (or Thaumaturge fits the flavor as well). If the answer is "with spells", then Witch. "Dipping" is no longer a thing, you just take archetype feats to get features of the other class you want.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Question about swashbuckler's precision damage from panache and finishers:

When I hit with a finisher like precise strike do I also add the +2 precision damage I have from being in panache or do the 2d6 replace that?

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Per the Precise Strike ability:

quote:

Precise Strike
You strike with flair. When you have panache and you Strike with an agile or finesse melee weapon or agile or finesse unarmed attack, you deal 2 additional precision damage. If the strike is part of a finisher, the additional damage is 2d6 precision damage instead.

From https://2e.aonprd.com/Classes.aspx?ID=15

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
That would have been super easy for me to find myself, had I bothered, so extra thanks for the answer :toot:

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Ha, no worries!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Government Handjob posted:

That would have been super easy for me to find myself, had I bothered, so extra thanks for the answer :toot:

Being able to ask stupid questions with zero fear of looking stupid yourself is an incredibly important part of tabletop gaming imo. There's a million fiddly little rules packed extremely densely into a lot of books, ain't no shame in just asking somebody.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Another question about Panache. The "wit" style swashbuckler gains panache when a bon mot succeeds. The swashbuckler at my table noticed that the effect of a bon mot can finish early if your target succeeds with a retort. The player asked whether in that circumstance he would lose panache.

My read is no, as it doesn't say in the rules that he would, but I thought I'd check and make sure I'm reading it right.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Another question about Panache. The "wit" style swashbuckler gains panache when a bon mot succeeds. The swashbuckler at my table noticed that the effect of a bon mot can finish early if your target succeeds with a retort. The player asked whether in that circumstance he would lose panache.

My read is no, as it doesn't say in the rules that he would, but I thought I'd check and make sure I'm reading it right.

I'd agree. It's like a spell that has an ongoing effect with subsequent saves. The spell still succeeded, they just didn't suffer the full duration.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 8, 2023

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Mechanically you're absolutely correct and it definitely shouldn't be ended by them removing it (after all, a grappler swashbuckler's panache doesn't get ended if a tripped enemy stands up), but thematically it's hard to argue against being a little shell shocked when your opponent responds "how appropriate, you fight like a cow".

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Zarick posted:

Mechanically you're absolutely correct and it definitely shouldn't be ended by them removing it (after all, a grappler swashbuckler's panache doesn't get ended if a tripped enemy stands up), but thematically it's hard to argue against being a little shell shocked when your opponent responds "how appropriate, you fight like a cow".

Disagree, I think a successful retort doesn't lose panache, it just begins a good ol fashioned HAVE AT THEE swashbuckle.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What are the 2e rules for sleeping in armor? And what's the best recommendation for a fighter's options for sleeping in armor? Just did a scenario where I had to wake up in the middle of the night and feels like I should have some plans in case it ever comes up again.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Sleeping in armour leaves you fatigued, unless you're sleeping in armour with the comfort trait.
If you're wearing heavy armour, it comes with a padded armour undercoat which benefits from the runes on the full set of armour, and it has the comfort trait so you can sleep in just the padded armour and still get your armour's runes. It's probably not the best solution, but it's better than nothing.

e: If you have Trick Magic Item or a caster dedication, you can grab a wand of Instant Armor and cast it every night before sleeping.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

What are the 2e rules for sleeping in armor? And what's the best recommendation for a fighter's options for sleeping in armor? Just did a scenario where I had to wake up in the middle of the night and feels like I should have some plans in case it ever comes up again.

My brain went straight to Wand of Instant Armor and Trick Magic Item the skill feat. You can also grab a level 2 Wand of Longstrider as a skill feat for +10 status bonus to speed is pretty good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Resting rules are on p499 of the core rulebook.

quote:

Sleeping in armor results in poor rest and causes a
character to wake up fatigued. If a character would have
recovered from fatigue, sleeping in armor prevents it.

If a character goes more than 16 hours without going
to sleep, they become fatigued.

quote:

Fatigued
You’re tired and can’t summon much energy. You take a
–1 status penalty to AC and saving throws. You can’t use
exploration activities performed while traveling, such as
those on pages 479–480.
You recover from fatigue after a full night’s rest.

So that sucks.

If it is something that only comes up occasionally you could buy a Drakeheart Mutagen.. The lesser only costs 4 gold, gives you AC +4, and lasts 1 minute. The moderate version is still pretty affordable at 12 gold, AC +5, and lasts 10 minutes.

The wand of instant armor may be a better long term solution. But on the other hand buying a mutagen is cheap and doesn't require a roll to work.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Roll isn't a big deal for a bedtime spell though. Trick Magic Item failure only means you can't trick it this turn. You have to crit fail to be barred the rest of the day. Depending on how your campaign handles armor in social situations it can be super handy to have as an option for that too. That said, the mutagen is a decent call and the wand costs 40 lesser mutagens.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you want to be spoiled on the final version of Kineticist a little early:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ust4H_7PvWY

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Hell yeah. I played a kineticist in 1st ed and it was so powerful. Give me the bending!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Does Pathfinder have an ancestory/heritage equivalent to D&D Dragonborn?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Does Pathfinder have an ancestory/heritage equivalent to D&D Dragonborn?

Not first party. Paizo's largely stayed away from it, because it would be very obviously copying WotC's stuff and they don't want to do that. The closest thing in first party stuff would be a kobold, which has dragon-themed ancestries of their own.

In third party stuff, there's the BattleZoo rules for literally playing dragons.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think the two closest are Lizardfolk and Kobolds.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arivia posted:

Not first party. Paizo's largely stayed away from it, because it would be very obviously copying WotC's stuff and they don't want to do that. The closest thing in first party stuff would be a kobold, which has dragon-themed ancestries of their own.

In third party stuff, there's the BattleZoo rules for literally playing dragons.

That said, the BattleZoo dragon stuff is pretty great.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CottonWolf posted:

I think the two closest are Lizardfolk and Kobolds.

Kobolds have multiple feat chains dedicated to becoming more draconic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3 Action Economist posted:

That said, the BattleZoo dragon stuff is pretty great.

Yeah, I haven't used it personally but it's written by Mark Seifter so the rules are good and I've heard good news about the narrative components.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Kobolds are objectively superior to Dragonborn. You can just be a little shithead with delusions of grandeur and adventure so hard they're retroactively justified! Yip!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Battlezoo dragon stuff is cool and the entire narrative justification is that a dragon does a ritual that drains out their essence and leaves them weak and small but allows them to regain that essence, and then some, even faster than they could before.

Going from level 1 - 20 (with all the attendant abilities, skills, and powers) in the time it takes a human adventurer is a crazy-fast power grab for a dragon, who normally get powerful on a MUCH slower timescale, and the assumption (for me anyway) is that they keep going afterwards. So they're adventuring and biding their time to beat their enemies and become the glorious top dragon of them all, the most dragon motivation possible. And they probably have 3 "friends" (read: helpful servants) to hang with afterwards.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
There's also a class and archetype (Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer and Dragon Disciple respectively) that let you be such a big Dragon stan you eventually end up becoming one.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Got any advice for someone who's got a new player who is going to be playing a melee rogue?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Got any advice for someone who's got a new player who is going to be playing a melee rogue?

Get familiar with stealth rules and how they work in combat. Figuring out how you're going to get your sneak attack in your party comp is another one.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Learn to use flanking.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah, the game with being a rogue is to try and find ways to make your opponent flat footed against your attack so that your sneak attacks really gently caress them up. Flanking, using an ability like Twin Feint, anything like that. If you have the Mastermind racket you can make your opponent flat footed by successfully recalling knowledge about them, and if you critically succeed in your recall knowledge check they are flat footed against you for ten rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Make sure you cover at least 2 damage types and have a game plan for enemies that are immune to precision damage.