Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Xaris posted:

oh yeah i remember that. that was those scary stories something, i think you could buy a 3-pack from price club in the early 90s.

were they actually scary? i just remember the cover/illustrations being scary but i don't remember anything about the actual content
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, yeah. They were creepy at least. The art did a lot of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tristeham posted:

what's that?

quote:

Jim Stewartson, Anti-disinfo activist 🇺🇸🇺🇦💙

Emmy-winning creative technologist being sued by Q aka Mike Flynn. @RadicalizedPod co-host.

RADICALIZED Truth Survives—invstgtv pod on disinfo

https://substack.com/@jimstewartson

MindWar: The Psychological War on Democracy

Writing, research and podcast for understanding and resisting the propaganda, psyops and malicious actors assaulting global liberal democracy. #IAmAntiFascist

I'm saying this guy sounds like a cop

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jim Stewartson, anti-disinfo guy VS Jim Watkins, disinfo guy

I guess their names aren't that similar but I'm still amused

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

he really doesn't miss

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive been reading Command and Control by Eric Schlosser and its making me want to check out Oppenheimer

great book tho. Equally hilarious and terrifying. Had no idea how many times we just dropped nukes on our own soil purely by accident

Good book, there's also a nova or American experience episode based on it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive been reading Command and Control by Eric Schlosser and its making me want to check out Oppenheimer

great book tho. Equally hilarious and terrifying. Had no idea how many times we just dropped nukes on our own soil purely by accident

in this vein, I would also recommend "The Dead Hand: The Untold Story of the Cold War Arms Race and its Dangerous Legacy", by David E. Hoffman

it's been many years since I've read it, but one of the things that stuck with me was a weapons inspector sent by the HW Bush administration to Russia after the implosion of the USSR, and they came up to a warehouse full of fissile material, with no guards, no lights, and a single broken padlock as the only security

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If you want the history of the scientific progress in the late 19th and early 20th century that led to nuclear physics, the politics behind the early days (including Nazis chasing out tons of Jewish nuclear scientists), and the Manhattan project, Richard Rhodes' Making of the Atomic Bomb is really good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

been seeing a bunch of the rightists around me pushing that Jim Caviezel movie really hard and it's very funny to watch them do the exact same "watching movies is Actually Praxis" thing we make fun of

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

been seeing a bunch of the rightists around me pushing that Jim Caviezel movie really hard and it's very funny to watch them do the exact same "watching movies is Actually Praxis" thing we make fun of

watching the right movies is praxis

https://emmajeanhistory.wordpress.com/2018/03/16/stalins-favorite-movie-soviet-film-in-the-1930s/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I mean I guess not, but these sorts of things always feel like wish-casting, or a blind squirrel finding a nut type deal.

Laterite posted:

wait til martin comes

has been living rent free in my head for close to 40 years

Ooooo I have not heard that phrase in a long time.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While exiled to Elba he has an incidental visit with the first mate of a cargo ship and gives him a sealed message to pass on...

people are losing their heads at jim caviezel in the post-credits scene

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

C-Euro posted:

I mean I guess not, but these sorts of things always feel like wish-casting, or a blind squirrel finding a nut type deal.

tbf we're talking about the intersection of z-list hollywood periphery and evangelical culture, the odds are pretty high some child molesters are involved somewhere

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

indigi posted:

goosebumps, AYATD, tales from the crypt. meh

this is how real 90s kids got their horror fix

:hai:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

high grant??! doing orange face!! in **2023**??????

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1678753207655211008

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like Tenet for it's music and protagonist.

The idea of future humanity sending people back in time to kill us before we destroy the climate is a really cool hook but it's handled very stupidly and most of the action sucks apart from a 5 second fistfight in a kitchen

I also like the concept that the only way to time travel is to literally reverse backwards through time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is no way Oppenheimer is going to have good politics. If you were expecting it to you're dumb.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Why is Wonka torturing that oompa loompa

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

mcmagic posted:

There is no way Oppenheimer is going to have good politics. If you were expecting it to you're dumb.

first of all, he did a cultural appropriation with his quote

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

mawarannahr posted:

I watched all 4 hours and 47 minutes of Until the End of the World (1991, by Wim Wenders). it's kinda hard to explain but starts with the world gonna be ending and sort of ends in recovering from dreamviewer/smartphone addiction. kinda sad that Solveig Dommartin died in 1997.

this was like 10 days ago and I keep thinking the name Coober Pedy. fun to say. coober pedy

On release, many people ridiculed the film, commenting on how the characters were obsessed with technology and always glued to their computers. Just one of the ways in which UtEotW was weirdly prescient.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

the spider planting eggs in you story still freaks me out

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I think it's related to the fact that the Christian adoption agencies they work with basically don't vet potential caretakers at all and will even go to bat for dangerous ones to preserve their reputations. A lot of those agencies basically function as resources for people who wouldn't qualify for secular adoption, i.e. predators etc, and conservative states wouldn't dare step on a religious organization's toes.

Maybe the filmmakers are actually doing the abuse and trafficking themselves as well but if I had to guess they're probably just enabling it by turning a blind eye and silencing victims. Like how "groomer" rhetoric seeks to cover up heterosexual pedophilia, a lot of so-called "sex trafficking" rhetoric seeks to cover up local abuse.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I agree, but also I just realized that the vibe that tweet was giving me, and which I was trying to articulate, was the "boom!" guy on Twitter five or so years ago with his little cutesy teases for breaking news. So wholly separate from whether or not anyone involved in the QAnon movie is a pedi (which feels fairly likely). Just accuse the producers of pedophilia outright, it worked so well for them going the other direction.

Benjamin Wittes or whatever his name is, someone here knows who I'm talking about.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

Why is Wonka torturing that oompa loompa

that's always been how it works

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

caviezel sounds like your average qanon dad now

lol at going from a b-c tier celebrity to that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Underground_Railroad

In a December 2020 article, Vice News said that Tim Ballard embellished O.U.R.'s role in the rescue of a trafficked woman, stating that they did not find "outright falsehoods but a pattern of image-burnishing and mythology-building, a series of exaggerations that are, in the aggregate, quite misleading".[1]

A 2021 follow-up article further criticized O.U.R.'s practices, including using inexperienced donors and celebrities as part of its jump team, a lack of meaningful surveillance or identification of targets, failing to validate whether the people they intended to rescue were in fact actual trafficking victims, and conflating consensual sex work with sex trafficking.[42] O.U.R. reportedly consulted a psychic for intelligence on one mission on the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic.[42]

A 2021 article in Slate criticized an armed 2014 raid conducted by O.U.R. in the Dominican Republic, which was filmed live by a camera crew to use in a proposed reality TV show, saying that it was likely to have traumatized the trafficked children.[3] Anne Gallagher, "the leading global expert on the international law on human trafficking",[43] wrote in 2015 that O.U.R. had an “alarming lack of understanding about how sophisticated criminal trafficking networks must be approached and dismantled” and called the work of O.U.R “arrogant, unethical and illegal".[3][44]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I haven't seen any of the Expendables or Equalizer movies but the trailers they just showed before Dead Reckoning has me interested in both. especially the Equalizer, that trailer is very effective

e: holy poo poo The Creator trailer looks like it'll be poorly written but a lot of fun, never heard of it before now. gotta look into it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Wonka is doing MK Ultra on that poor Oompa Loompa. soon he will be programmed to make candy.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oppenheimer — canceled

napoleon — canceled

wonka — you guessed it, canceled!!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

indigi posted:

i own a hardback coffee table book of all three of these with the original art, fuckin owns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DoombatINC posted:

i own a hardback coffee table book of all three of these with the original art, fuckin owns

this made me curious so I checked Wikipedia and apparently they published a version of the books with new art and people got so pissed that the publisher apologized

PS the movie I bought a ticket for and am currently in was for 2. they're still showing trailers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

I haven't seen any of the Expendables or Equalizer movies but the trailers they just showed before Dead Reckoning has me interested in both. especially the Equalizer, that trailer is very effective

e: holy poo poo The Creator trailer looks like it'll be poorly written but a lot of fun, never heard of it before now. gotta look into it

the equalizer is fantastic, denzels equivalent of john wick but with an actual story

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Sorry Wonka, no Jeremy Allen White, no watch

Dude even SOUNDS like Wilder ffs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Justin Tyme posted:

Sorry Wonka, no Jeremy Allen White, no watch

the internet's hot new boyfriend

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NoOmD1Hy28

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Communist Thoughts posted:

I like Tenet for it's music and protagonist.

The idea of future humanity sending people back in time to kill us before we destroy the climate is a really cool hook but it's handled very stupidly and most of the action sucks apart from a 5 second fistfight in a kitchen

I also like the concept that the only way to time travel is to literally reverse backwards through time

Tenet is a great vibes film and I don’t think enough are made. Yes, I own a copy of The Nolan Variations, what of it, sir?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

I watched the Oppenheimer doc recently and it was surprisingly good about this

which documentary was this?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

What was the conservative message in Inception and The Prestige

corporate espionage is morally fraught and technology is evil because people use it to do stupid things

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

porfiria posted:

And yeah Oppenheimer will probably be a dumb safe conservative take on the bomb and its development which will spawn a thousand Reddit posts of "TIL the war department estimated TWO MILLION servicemen would die in the invasion of Japan."

(There's also a pretty good case to be made the bomb was used to prevent the Soviets from taking the country).

i was pleasantly surprised by the fifth episode of 1980 bbc oppenheimer doing a lot of this handwringing for the first half then a guy explicitly says "so this has fuckall to do with japan anymore because theres a secret agreement that the soviets will enter the war on our side the japanese are done"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
they should do an allen dulles biopic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1678573771282608129