Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

For point one, I think you’re downplaying the brutal fight that it took to get gay rights. Don’t start your timeline in 2000, start it before Stonewall. The right is using the exact same playbook now that they used then. It stopped working against gay people because over decades more and more were brave enough to come out, and the more openly gay people someone knows the less opposed they tend to be to gay rights.

I’m having trouble calmly replying to point two. Trans people are up against a large group of people including those leading state governments who want them dead. The invective is a result of that, not a cause. It reads like, and I’ll give you the benefit of a doubt this isn’t actually what you meant, you’re blaming trans people and supporters for the “debate” being acrimonious. And I again would challenge that it’s more acrimonious than the gay rights struggle if you actually go back to the beginnings of the movement.

I also think you have it backward on point three. Social media plays a huge factor sure, but I see it stirring up hate against trans a lot more than I see it doing whatever you’re implying here.

Well, i'm not that old to remember stonewall, i just remember the my time as a student who fought for gay rights the amount of acrimony surrounding gay marriage, until it was finally passed. It was far far less than the trans rights movement because even lots of normies thought it was dumb that gay marriage wasn't allowed. The trans rights movement is quite a bit different than the gay rights movement because there's friction even within feminists and the gay community over certain aspects of the trans rights movement that people on the left are uncomfortable talking about (but it's there).

What i'm implying about point number 3 is that social media is a bigger part of our lives than the mid to late aughts and that's going to have an effect at amplifying negative discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

2) Personally, i think gay people did a lot better job of making their case, rather than throwing invective, they were more than happy to debate their case and did a great job. The trans debate is far more acrimonious.

This is an extremely lovely thing to say about people who are having their rights and humanity stripped from them. They shouldn't have to to a good job at "making their case".

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mister Fister posted:

Well, i'm not that old to remember stonewall, i just remember the my time as a student who fought for gay rights the amount of acrimony surrounding gay marriage, until it was finally passed. It was far far less than the trans rights movement because even lots of normies thought it was dumb that gay marriage wasn't allowed. The trans rights movement is quite a bit different than the gay rights movement because there's friction even within feminists and the gay community over certain aspects of the trans rights movement that people on the left are uncomfortable talking about (but it's there).

What i'm implying about point number 3 is that social media is a bigger part of our lives than the mid to late aughts and that's going to have an effect at amplifying negative discourse.

When were you a student?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mister Fister posted:

If you’re not familiar it may help you understand how these struggles go to read up on the history of the fight for gay rights. Stonewall isn’t the worst place to start.

The gay rights struggle you’re familiar with was a very mature (as in, had been going on a long time, had clear, experienced leaders) movement that was mainly pointed at a single goal. By the time we were looking at gay marriage, it was not politically possible to go out and say you wanted to arrest gay people for being gay. That was not always the case, and when it was there was a good deal more what you’re calling acrimony. But I think what you’re really seeing is desperation.

Trans people are fighting for their lives. Large swaths of the country want to take away the medicine and treatments they need to live. Of course the fight is uglier. Losing is uglier than losing the gay marriage fight would’ve been.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Overseas bud light is extremely popular among a very very different demographic.

Out of curiosity, which demographic & which "overseas"?

DynamicSloth posted:

As far as newsworthyness I think it would matter that Desantis, Haley, Scott are all headed for a clown car primary with Trump even if it fizzles out after Iowa and New Hampshire, there will still be barnstorming, debates and live election night coverage. The DNC is not going to let RFK Jr. have a real primary with Biden any more than Bill Weld got a real primary with Trump in 2020.

Trump has said he won't debate his primary opponents & Biden's team has said the same.

The GOP can try all it wants, and the DoJ can keep bringing charges against Trump & cause his margin to widen even further, but Trump's as likely to be the GOP nominee as Biden is the Dem nominee.

In fact, Trump could waltz into the convention with a higher percentage of delegates than Biden on the Dem side, even if the DNC doesn't "honor" them, because several states have winner-take-all results from GOP primaries:

quote:

Republicans could try to stop Trump from seizing their presidential nomination with one simple reform – increasing proportional representation in the primary process. But to date, they have done the opposite. In fact, the number of GOP primary states that are winner take all increased from seven to 17 between the 2016 and 2020 election, according to an analysis by Gregory Korte at Bloomberg.

This is a big deal: In a polarized political environment, winner-take-all states allow divisive candidates to get ahead even if they don’t win a majority of votes in a state’s primary, creating unrepresentative results.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/opinions/trump-2024-republican-primaries-gop-win-avlon/index.html

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The biggest factor driving the sustained success of the bud light boycott (on the right) is there is no difference, in taste or effort to obtain, between bud lite, coors lite, Miller lite etc. it’s as easy as moving their arm a foot in a direction when they go to pick up beer.

Trans rights has nothing to do with it beyond it beyond one of many potential regressive triggers.

The same thing would have happened if AB had sent a swag bag to hunter biden and advertised going “Hunter Mode.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hunter Mode likely would have consisted of another substance than beer.

Wasn't the SS investigation of the dime bag found in the West Wing supposed to be wrapped up yesterday? Have there been any announcements?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FizFashizzle posted:

The biggest factor driving the sustained success of the bud light boycott (on the right) is there is no difference, in taste or effort to obtain, between bud lite, coors lite, Miller lite etc. it’s as easy as moving their arm a foot in a direction when they go to pick up beer.

Trans rights has nothing to do with it beyond it beyond one of many potential regressive triggers.

The same thing would have happened if AB had sent a swag bag to hunter biden and advertised going “Hunter Mode.”

Yeah, it's a boycott that requires literally zero actual sacrifice. There are tons of other beers that do just as good a job of being cheap and readily accessible and beer.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mister Fister posted:

The trans rights movement is quite a bit different than the gay rights movement because there's friction even within feminists and the gay community over certain aspects of the trans rights movement that people on the left are uncomfortable talking about (but it's there).

There are/were homophobic feminists and LGBT people that oppose gay marriage, it's not really that unique to trans people. In the 80s, the discourse about the people that need to be kept out of women's restrooms and sports was more focused at lesbians rather than trans women, with basically the same rhetoric about how lesbians weren't *really* women, and there were/are cishet feminists that absolutely join in on that.

As for the language, the state of trans rights in the US is that there are states that are actively seeking to re-criminalize being transgender, so the vitriol is matching the urgency of the issue. Kinda like how when sodomy laws were more of a thing in the US or when the AIDS crisis was ongoing, the language and attitudes of the LGBT community as a whole was quite harsher. I'd strongly recommend familiarizing yourself more with LGBT history

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Trans people have been in the fight for LGBT rights since the beginning of the fight (even if the language they used for themselves may have been different at the time).

It's kind of lovely to talk about how gay people did their fight for civil rights better when trans people were right there beside them in the fight!

It also elides how those fights were actually considered at the time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"Tommy Tuberville relents and says white nationalists are racist"

He's still holding up marine corps appointments over abortion tho

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There's nothing terribly new about the trans fight. The right did the same thing for black people, Muslims, gays, and eastern european immigrants over the last hundred years. Same playbook, different target. It just shows how weak their culture war is that they're targeting such a small segment of the population now in order to eke out some win.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FizFashizzle posted:

Isn't that the same case with shopping at Dick's Sporting Goods, Charmin, or the LA Dodgers? It seems like it would be extremely easy to not shop at Dick's, grab a different toilet paper roll, or not buy tickets to a baseball game. But, those boycotts all sort of fizzled out without any impact.

I can see why Target, Wal-Mart, or Amazon would be too ubiquitous and large to make any difference and fail, but those seem like easier ones that didn't blow up to nearly the level of the Bud Light situation.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Isn't that the same case with shopping at Dick's Sporting Goods, Charmin, or the LA Dodgers? It seems like it would be extremely easy to not shop at Dick's, grab a different toilet paper roll, or not buy tickets to a baseball game. But, those boycotts all sort of fizzled out without any impact.

I can see why Target, Wal-Mart, or Amazon would be too ubiquitous and large to make any difference and fail, but those seem like easier ones that didn't blow up to nearly the level of the Bud Light situation.

To shop at a different store you have to go to a different store and find the stuff you want. Bud is literally on a shelf next to Coors. It's literally no effort.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blue Footed Booby posted:

To shop at a different store you have to go to a different store and find the stuff you want. Bud is literally on a shelf next to Coors. It's literally no effort.

Wouldn't that be the case for Charmin toilet paper? Or that not purchasing baseball tickets and traveling to attend a baseball game is significantly less effort and cheaper than doing it?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wouldn't that be the case for Charmin toilet paper? Or that not purchasing baseball tickets and traveling to attend a baseball game is significantly less effort and cheaper than doing it?

If you want to go to a baseball game, there isn't an identical, same-cost alternative you can buy at the same place. And people are particular about their toilet paper.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

For a baseball fan the equivalent to just not going to games/watching would be if someone stopped drinking altogether in response to the bud light thing. Sports allegiances don’t tend to be that fluid and people are often cheering for the closest geographical team so a Dodgers fan probably isn’t going to mentally have an easy time just becoming a Padres fan.

I would also say toilet paper is a lot more brand personal than beer but that may just be me.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Wait, there was a consumer boycott against Charmin? :wtc:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Willa Rogers posted:

Trump has said he won't debate his primary opponents & Biden's team has said the same.
Yeah, I'd expect so unless his numbers nose dive, but there are plenty of other candidates and there will still be GOP debates. I doubt there are many democratic politicians in the country willing to be photographed with RFK Jr. much less share a debate stage with him (though that's obviously moot since none of them will be running for President either). All tea leaves indicate Trump will still win, but they are going to make him run a real primary, and Trump does not have the discipline to stay above the fray, he may not attend debates but he'll probably respond in real time when they attack him.

quote:

In fact, Trump could waltz into the convention with a higher percentage of delegates than Biden on the Dem side, even if the DNC doesn't "honor" them, because several states have winner-take-all results from GOP primaries:
Mayyyyybe but only if Trump literally has every delegate. If RFK Jr. really put his back into he might get 2 delegates like Tulsi Gabbard, but in all likelihood is heading for an Andrew Yang result.

At the end of the day none of it matters to Biden, he's the incumbent, Trump's not, the rules are not the same and never have been.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Beer also retains its branding from purchase to consumption, unlike toilet paper. I.e, if you bring bud light to a party you are publicly bringing a billboard that says bud light filled with smaller billboards that say bud light that you personally will be holding close to your face as you consume them. In comparison toilet paper is essentially anonymized after purchase and goes in a closet or something. I'm actually not sure of something that you end up being more tied to the branding of than beer, especially with the sort of 'bringing a six pack to a party' type ritual that exists. Most other food at least you take the wrapper off when you eat it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just presume turnout will be very low for many D primaries because there's no competition there unless there's any spicy lower races meanwhile R primaries will probably be very high due to Trump energy.

Also an R primary debate with no Trump would likely pull impressively low viewership. Who's that even for aside from like a dozen opinion columnists?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Out of curiosity, which demographic & which "overseas"?

UK and Europe is the big one I’m thinking of. Bud light was #4 worldwide and bud was # 2 in 2022. Snow and Tsingtao are #1 and #3 (Snow is only sold in China).

It was very much a young trendy folks demo but then my observations of that were a over a decade ago. It’s still wild to see it sold as a “premium” beer in other countries.

The point it it’s international branding is in conflict with its US branding.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

UK and Europe is the big one I’m thinking of. Bud light was #4 worldwide and bud was # 2 in 2022. Snow and Tsingtao are #1 and #3 (Snow is only sold in China).

It was very much a young trendy folks demo but then my observations of that were a over a decade ago. It’s still wild to see it sold as a “premium” beer in other countries.

The point it it’s international branding is in conflict with its US branding.

Modelo being the biggest selling beer of the month would be good news for InBev... if we were talking about a country other than the United States.

I didn't know until reading about the controversy how all the branding rights have been spread around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Wait, there was a consumer boycott against Charmin? :wtc:

It was apparently Cottonelle. Different toilet paper brand.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2019/03/cottonelles-pro-gay-ad-gets-a-lovely-response-from-conservatives/

https://twitter.com/rjlarrivee/status/1101310847257853952

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

Modelo being the biggest selling beer of the month would be good news for InBev... if we were talking about a country other than the United States.

It’s AB InBev, so it’s literally the same company they’re buying from.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s AB InBev, so it’s literally the same company they’re buying from.

InBev had to sell Modelo's US business to Constellation Brands in order to avoid antitrust trouble. It's a rival corporate conglomerate benefitting from all the increases in Modelo's popularity.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2021/09/ab-inbev-sues-constellation-over-modelo-beer/

So it's not like they're totally laughing in secret here. If it was really that circular, InBev's corporate leadership would probably not have made the mistakes they did.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eh, that corduroy-rear end tp should've been boycotted bc of its quality.

But I don't see anything about a boycott in your linked story, only a bunch of randos' tweets.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Speaking on astroturfing, misinfomation, and trans rights, a hair salon in MI is banning T+ people because:

quote:

I have no issues with LGB. It’s the TQ+ that I’m not going to support. For those that don’t know what the + is for, it’s for MAP (Minor Attracted Person aka: pedophile) This stance was taken to insure that clients have the best experience and I am admitting that since I am not willing to play the pronoun game or cater to requests outside of what I perceive as normal this probably isn’t the best option for that type of client.

Yeah, those pluses like Asexual people are definitely known for being sexually attracted to kids. Just shows how misinformation just flies willy-nilly in getting right wingers all worked up about the dumbest stuff, and the Supreme Court rulings and stuff just help this to run rampant.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...bpMsrEf6gSBH6kA

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Willa Rogers posted:

Eh, that corduroy-rear end tp should've been boycotted bc of its quality.

But I don't see anything about a boycott in your linked story, only a bunch of randos' tweets.

what are they tweeting about? :allears:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I thought Republicans hated cancel culture, why are they trying to cancel Bud Light and Cottonelle?!?!?!?!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Darko posted:

Speaking on astroturfing, misinfomation, and trans rights, a hair salon in MI is banning T+ people because:

Yeah, those pluses like Asexual people are definitely known for being sexually attracted to kids. Just shows how misinformation just flies willy-nilly in getting right wingers all worked up about the dumbest stuff, and the Supreme Court rulings and stuff just help this to run rampant.

I wonder what they think Q stands for.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

InsertPotPun posted:

This is just people talking past each other - obviously if you look for #BoycottBrandName you will probably find at least one random result, but that doesn't mean it was, like, a trending tag or an actual controversy that got broadly reported on. I don't consume any news shows, but I still heard about the Bud Light and Target poo poo - I have no clue what this Cottonelle thing is in reference to, but it also seems like it was literally just "an ad with a gay couple somewhere" which isnt exactly spicy in 2023 (or 2019 for that matter) - if someone is going to boycott for that they would have to boycott anyone who has a float at Pride or whatever, it's such a settled issue in comparison to the trans rights fight which is current and pressing and charged on both sides

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Darko posted:

What is it with barber shops? Growing up it seems like everyone one we went to had crazy “Proctor and Gamble worships satan” stuff posted on the walls or other stuff of that kind.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
if you own your own small business, you can put mostly whatever the hell you want up in your window*

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

World Famous W posted:

if you own your own small business, you can put mostly whatever the hell you want up in your window*

Yeah I know they can, it just seems weird that it seems like it’s always barber shops that actually do. Like I never see it at a little sandwich shop or whatever.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
you just ain't looking hard enough!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

What is it with barber shops? Growing up it seems like everyone one we went to had crazy “Proctor and Gamble worships satan” stuff posted on the walls or other stuff of that kind.

Barber shops often have set clientele already and get a lot of referral based business. Pandering with or agreeing to a certain type of client probably won't really hurt your business. Plus they are EXTREMELY local-based in most instances.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

It's going to come to a shock, but in a country of 330 million people a lot of them have stupid opinions. :ssh:

I meant that the story didn't include some organized boycott as we've seen with Target & AB, just some idiots tweeting. Nor were there any links to affected sales, unsurprisingly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Fister posted:

Trying to pivot from your customer base of working class rednecks to upper middle class white liberals over a cheap lovely beer that only the former would drink is monumentally stupid, and i'm not surprised that a wealthy harvard educated marketing vp would be this out of touch. It didn't happen in a vacuum though, i imagine most conservatives are upset at having no cultural influence in any important institution of note, and it sort of boiled over.

Say what now? I was with you up until that last part there. Can you elaborate on why you think they have "no cultural influence?"

Because it could just be where I live but they seem to be culturally influencing poo poo like a motherfucker.

Morrow posted:

There's nothing terribly new about the trans fight. The right did the same thing for black people, Muslims, gays, and eastern european immigrants over the last hundred years. Same playbook, different target. It just shows how weak their culture war is that they're targeting such a small segment of the population now in order to eke out some win.

"Where will it all END?" - conservative assholes

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lichen Subscribe posted:

I find the rising cost of living in traditionally low-cost states like Florida an intriguing opportunity for the Democratic party. Florida's transition from a low-cost haven to a state with costs rivalling urban California and New York has been driven by significant population surge largely due to desirable weather conditions, absence of state income tax, snd the allure of coastal living. This is cautionary news for Republicans, as such a shift often comes with a demographic change that could sway political leanings towards Democrats, as seen in states with higher cost of living like California and New York.

Meanwhile, the Twin Cities persist as major urban areas with a lower rate of inflation and cost of living, which, although an appealing option for some looking to avoid the rising costs of warmer climates, might not warrant the anticipated exodus. The trend seems to be many are favoring warmer locales despite the rising costs. This is underscored by the surging costs in other warm areas such as Atlanta, Austin, and Waikiki.

As such, we could anticipate an increasing influx of Democratic-leaning residents in these traditionally Republican-stronghold states. But what will be essential to investigate is Florida and Arizona's economic strength to retain the new residents. If they fail, and people perceive the trade-off between cost and quality of life as not being worth it, it's going to be a rather severe blow to the Republican power base, tipping the scale of power even further in favor of Democrats.

Lichen Subscribe posted:

While there's merit to your argument, we're witnessing unprecedented shifts towards the Democratic party in historically staunchly Republican suburban areas. The sun-seeking snowbirds, too, are not a monolithic group politically. Of course, only time will reveal the full impact of these changes, but dismissing the possibility of political shifts in red states, or underestimating the Democrats' capacity to gain ground in these areas, could be a grave mistake.

I’m 95% sure this is a ChatGPT response. It’s a new account just summarizing the post it’s replying to without actually saying anything in response.