Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Emulation and piracy ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I've got covid atm, can't sleep, and my throat is nothing but fire and pain, but this did make me smile.

Microsoft have stated they're not going to stand in the way of unionisation of the studio
So get your loving golden handshake and gently caress off forever Kotick

If nothing else, at least Kotick is no longer harming the game industry with his presence in it. All of the employees that work under him are probably feeling safer today. I have my doubts about the union situation, but we will see. In the U.S. there are still a million different avenues a huge corporation can take in order to stall and squash a union even if the vote to create one passes. Passing the creation of a union is only step one in what is actually a pretty long process that can take years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sounds like an epic win for microsoft and an epic fail for joe brandon

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Unionize and demand to make something other than CoD for the 27th time in a row.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also PC gaming FTW, and any first party companies/devs that embrace the platform.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Don't let a nintendo fan hear this...

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Microsoft and the CMA have put a stay on litigation. Microsoft is open to modifying the deal to ease their concerns

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Don't let a nintendo fan hear this...

poo poo, don't let Nintendo hear this. They'll put you in the mines

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The deal is probably just going to be to keep putting Call of Duty on PlayStation, which honestly is sort of a given. It seems like it would be super foolish to not keep CoD on PlayStation.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1678755045947449344?t=xRoA0PJNMt5rejC9By0FmA&s=19

Casual reminder to pirate (older games and games as they get older) and be a digital packrat, for the good of preservation

That seems…disingenuous at best?

Like, most silent films are gone, not just not for sale anymore.

Also seems more than a little ironic to me that Activision, literally the first third party console game maker, is ending their run with becoming part of Microsoft. Sic semper corporations I guess.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i knew people were getting ahead of themselves when they were acting like the UK thing was the end of the acquisition

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

That seems…disingenuous at best?

Like, most silent films are gone, not just not for sale anymore.

Also seems more than a little ironic to me that Activision, literally the first third party console game maker, is ending their run with becoming part of Microsoft. Sic semper corporations I guess.

I don't think the statistic is wrong, just not necessarily important. If you then take a look at those games no longer being sold, but then compare them to versions that have had re-releases as remasters or remakes, then that number is much higher, its just that their original versions are no longer available. The question is why are they no longer available, and this is much more complicated and nuanced, and what can we do about it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I said come in! posted:

I don't think the statistic is wrong, just not necessarily important. If you then take a look at those games no longer being sold, but then compare them to versions that have had re-releases as remasters or remakes, then that number is much higher, its just that their original versions are no longer available. The question is why are they no longer available, and this is much more complicated and nuanced, and what can we do about it.

Yeah but even then, “no longer available” is still pushing it. I mean, sure we’ve got tons of old text adventure games that are worthless without their feelies, maybe that’s the most obvious loss, but piracy and archival efforts have done a hell of a lot of heavy lifting for game preservation. They’re not affected by problems like the BBC erasing their old broadcast tapes or old film stock self-immolating.

You can’t really compare the state of a medium that’s more or less infinitely copyable with hundred-year old films. Commercial availability is just a relatively small part of the picture.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Yeah but even then, “no longer available” is still pushing it. I mean, sure we’ve got tons of old text adventure games that are worthless without their feelies, maybe that’s the most obvious loss, but piracy and archival efforts have done a hell of a lot of heavy lifting for game preservation. They’re not affected by problems like the BBC erasing their old broadcast tapes or old film stock self-immolating.

You can’t really compare the state of a medium that’s more or less infinitely copyable with hundred-year old films. Commercial availability is just a relatively small part of the picture.

Right, I think we are in agreement. The articles criteria is "these games are no longer being produced with new copies and sold in stores." which I think is too narrow of a criteria.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the least available stuff generally speaking is pre-smartphone mobile games, which include a lot of notable VNs and RPGs from the Japanese market in particular

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I said come in! posted:

Right, I think we are in agreement. The articles criteria is "these games are no longer being produced with new copies and sold in stores." which I think is too narrow of a criteria.

They also list online stores but yeah it's specifically "can no longer legally be obtained" which is a very relevant distinction for retro games

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I had to get a VPN because my ISP harassed me for downloading a GameCube iso

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

Microsoft won the case, they will be buying Activision-Blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLtFUWzpKQE

1000 years of darkness, end times, gonna start a bbq

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the least available stuff generally speaking is pre-smartphone mobile games, which include a lot of notable VNs and RPGs from the Japanese market in particular

The G-Mode Archives and Archives+ releases are kinda neat for making some of these available again even if most of them still end up Japan only.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it'd be fine if there was an Orphaned Works bill but there's no way of pushing that through the US Congress without getting defeated by Disney lobbying

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont even know that there is a need for lobbying right now. The Senate is split pretty evenly currently so nothing gets passed anyways.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I'm an uncle now! Woohoo!

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Lmao

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1678781659255291906?s=46&t=-VZSxDkiWhxQSeyPFaKJQw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've got the lego bug now. but.... it's all too expensive -_-

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

i've got the lego bug now. but.... it's all too expensive -_-

Funny thing, last night YouTube recommended me this guy who's building a huge Lego city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMc-lddpyFA

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Draga posted:

Congratulations!

Remember to use your cool uncle influence to warp your nephew's minds with videogames in about a decade or so

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Draga posted:

Hello fellow uncle gamer. My newphew is three years old, so got a ways to go until I buy them their first console, i'm unsure which side of the console war I want them on. My sister and her husband are hardcore gamers too, so i'm sure they have a side, i'm pretty sure its going to be Nintendo, which is what I grew up with anyways.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I said come in! posted:

Hello fellow uncle gamer. My newphew is three years old, so got a ways to go until I buy them their first console, i'm unsure which side of the console war I want them on. My sister and her husband are hardcore gamers too, so i'm sure they have a side, i'm pretty sure its going to be Nintendo, which is what I grew up with anyways.

console wars? Who bothers with that now a days, just buy them a Steamdeck and a PC. Switch is cool too imo, it has Monster Hunter after all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

console wars? Who bothers with that now a days, just buy them a Steamdeck and a PC. Switch is cool too imo, it has Monster Hunter after all.

Hopefully there will be a SteamDeck 2, and Switch 2 by the time they are old enough to game. Deck 2 is more likely lol.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Jerma is hosting a House Flipper tournament at the moment with a whole mess of other streamers

https://www.twitch.tv/jerma985

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

Jerma is hosting a House Flipper tournament at the moment with a whole mess of other streamers

https://www.twitch.tv/jerma985

oh poo poo dougdoug's in it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who the Frick is doig doug

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Game Pass's value only continues to grow, further proving the success and power of capitalism

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I got the harvest moon itch, what's a good harvestmoonlike on switch?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dabir posted:

Who the Frick is doig doug

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sadly there are no farming games on the nintendo switch

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Been saying this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Rune Factory the Fourth

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Been playing harvest moon snes, and enjoying the callousness of the guide I’m using (« don’t talk to your kids. Don’t talk to your wife. Give her an egg every other day to offset the relationship damage »)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Stardew Valley is still considered the best one I think? Alternatively I think there are Harvest Moon games on Switch Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is there not a dave the diver thread?