Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sabathiel, like most inquisitors, thinks she Has It Figured Out, but does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Sabathiel, like most inquisitors, thinks she Has It Figured Out, but does not.

What? Inquisitors know exactly what they're doing. They're just borrowing that daemonhost and warp infused sword for this one job and can totally turn off the glowy purple eyes when it's done. It's the rest of the imperium that doesn't understand, dammit!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm reading Black Legion and just got to the part where someone explains to Abaddon and the Gang what's been happening in the Imperium while they've been living it up in The Eye. The reactions are so well done.

EDIT: I keep copies of all the Kindle books I buy and was organizing that folder on my PC. I came across an old "Books" folder that had loads of WH40k stuff in it, much of which I've already read. But there were forty that I hadn't, and most of it was not on my 40k book tracking spreadsheet. :cry:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 10, 2023

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Dog_Meat posted:

What? Inquisitors know exactly what they're doing. They're just borrowing that daemonhost and warp infused sword for this one job and can totally turn off the glowy purple eyes when it's done. It's the rest of the imperium that doesn't understand, dammit!
My heckles were raised in Eisenhorn when his sword started talking to him. Especially with how off-hand Eisenhorn is about it.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Sure inquisitors get exposed to all kinds of warp related horrors, but they are fine. Gotta blast those filthy heretics who even witnessed anything warp related though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Apprentice Dick posted:

Sure inquisitors get exposed to all kinds of warp related horrors, but they are fine. Gotta blast those filthy heretics who even witnessed anything warp related though.

The latter part is not even consistent throughout the lore, which is confusing. I think it's just dependent on the inquisitor.

Especially since memory wiping is apparently a very common and easy enough thing to do.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I thought you only get killed if you saw Grey Knights or very bad Chaos folks like Daemon Princes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't even think they kill you if you've seen the Grey Knights anymore. poo poo is that bad in the Imperium post Great Rift opening.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I don't think they're still doing that for 'regular' levels of exposure post "The Galaxy has been split in half, just look up" as trying to deny everything just wasn't viable past that point.

For the Grey Knights or serious chaos stuff like Daemon Princes. Maybe?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Was it daemon princes or the fact that it was Angron, a daemon primarch? Because Im fairly certain that the Tanith ran into daemon princes at least twice and it's not portrayed as tooo big a deal.

There's also inconsistencies Imperium wide (makes sense, variety in worlds) about how much folks know about the heresy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Telsa Cola posted:

Was it daemon princes or the fact that it was Angron, a daemon primarch? Because Im fairly certain that the Tanith ran into daemon princes at least twice and it's not portrayed as tooo big a deal.

There's also inconsistencies Imperium wide (makes sense, variety in worlds) about how much folks know about the heresy.

I can't recall a single instance of the ghosts encountering daemon princes- Their chaos stuff seems to top off at daemon engines and warlord sorcerers, afaik

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bloodthirsters were walking around on Terra in the middle of the day, yeah

Cats out of the bag on demons.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

I can't recall a single instance of the ghosts encountering daemon princes- Their chaos stuff seems to top off at daemon engines and warlord sorcerers, afaik

Im blanking on the story name and it might not have been the ghosts, but there was a daemon prince or daemon in palace or something that they ended up calling orbital lance strikes on.

Edit: Might have been a chaos spawn? Iirc it was portrayed as being strong enough that orbital lance strikes was reasonable.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 10, 2023

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Im blanking on the story name and it might not have been the ghosts, but there was a daemon prince or daemon in palace or something that they ended up calling orbital lance strikes on.

Edit: Might have been a chaos spawn? Iirc it was portrayed as being strong enough that orbital lance strikes was reasonable.

I think Armor of Contempt had a bloodthirster appear but there was only one ghost* there to see it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

It might have been a Cain story?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It’s one of the short stories in Ghostmaker. I want to say it is the one about Corbec?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

The demon they nuke from orbit is in one of the Ghostmaker shorts, and if we're talking 'inconsistent' the worst place to look is early 40k Abnett. Daemons definitely were just greebly monsters early on, much like the Ghosts chumping Marines fairly easily in the first two books.

The daemon in Armour of Contempt isn't explicitly a Bloodthirster. Abnett is good about not explicitly naming stuff like the models, no NounVerber Verb Nouns, just unspeakably horrid stuff he describes interestingly. That's a fantastic sequence, the daemon is barely seen and it instantly routs the Guard.

Rereading the GG series at the moment. Early books characters refer to Chaos forces and Chaos stuff a lot, which I always found pretty lame. Then around the time he writes Legion Abnett starts calling Chaos stuff different names, The Primordial Annihilator, the Sanguinary Tribes, the Archonate. His Chaos is some of the most interesting, he fleshed out the culture of it.

I forgot Anarch opens with an Urdeshi religious quote that ostensibly applied to The Emperor but could easily be read as referring to the Chaos gods, and there's references throughout to the Urdeshi playing both sides and just seeing them both as occupiers.

He's seeding this stuff too in The Vincula Insurgency, implying something similar about Tanith.

Not sure what I was trying to say here but I just think they're neat.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm reading Black Legion and just got to the part where someone explains to Abaddon and the Gang what's been happening in the Imperium while they've been living it up in The Eye. The reactions are so well done.

EDIT: I keep copies of all the Kindle books I buy and was organizing that folder on my PC. I came across an old "Books" folder that had loads of WH40k stuff in it, much of which I've already read. But there were forty that I hadn't, and most of it was not on my 40k book tracking spreadsheet. :cry:

It was a youtuber doing a reading of Black Legion where the one Children of the Emperor I think just starts laughing, and explains through his fit "They won. They loving won! The Word Bearers, the loving shits with their stupid book actually won!"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finished The King of The Spoil. It was excellent. Probably my favorite crime book so far. Highly recommend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a friend of mine was discussing warhammer books with me, despite not having been involved with the property in quite some time, and was asking for recommendations. I recommended the usual, your Dan Abnetts, your Graham McNeills, and for pulpy garbage that I absolutely LOVE shoveling into my brain, the Gotrek and Felix novels. but it's funny, the first thing that came to mind, instantly, to recommend, was a short story. It's a Dan Abnett short, and in my opinion, it's the best piece of 40k fiction ever made.

It's The Fall of Malvolion, about a Mordian Guardsman witnessing a Tyranid invasion firsthand. It's probably the best thing involving Tyranids I've ever read, and truly captures the horrifying nature of them.

it's kind of hosed up that they charge for it now, I absolutely remember reading it for free online before decades ago, there were a bunch of the short stories available for free ages ago, but now they sell them individually. I'm sure google cache has those pages somewhere but gently caress if I remember the original URLs.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

gently caress me but Praetorian of Dorn is fun. Keeble helps, of course, but the dialogue is fantastic, the action is incredibly snappy and the structure is engaging. For some reason I had French pegged down as one of the boring BL authors, but now I'm wondering if I've mistaken him for someone else.

The scene where Dorn lectures Alpharius on how he would've conquered a world using the methods of the XXth is great, because you can choose to believe that Dorn is right or that he thinks he's right and fails to see the layers of conspiracy A&O might've applied, but either way it boil down to the hubris of primarchs.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I’m reading Soul Hunter and it’s really good. ADB doesn’t miss but this is his magnum opus yes? He is great at Chaos space marines. Although his fellas are always cutting their tongues licking their fangs, that was a First Heretic thing too

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Pron on VHS posted:

I’m reading Soul Hunter and it’s really good. ADB doesn’t miss but this is his magnum opus yes? He is great at Chaos space marines. Although his fellas are always cutting their tongues licking their fangs, that was a First Heretic thing too

I think First Heretic and Betrayer are both better than the night lords books, especially together, but the night lords trilogy is really great.

Betrayer especially (and I feel like a dipshit saying this about a warhammer book somehow) is unbelievably, incredibly tragic. it's the book that really drives home that all hope is lost imo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

your Graham McNeills

Not a very good friend?

Black Griffon posted:

gently caress me but Praetorian of Dorn is fun. Keeble helps, of course, but the dialogue is fantastic, the action is incredibly snappy and the structure is engaging. For some reason I had French pegged down as one of the boring BL authors, but now I'm wondering if I've mistaken him for someone else.

The Horusian War series by French is definitely a must read IMO

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

D-Pad posted:

Not a very good friend?
idk I remember liking some of his books. I recommended them Nightbringer and Storm of Iron of his stuff. Nightbringer isn't particularly great, but I liked it, and I loving LOVE Storm of Iron. Storm of Iron is just an insanely brutal and huge battle almost the whole way through that he did imo an excellent job at depicting so that you can envision it and the scale of it in your mind's eye, and while the ending is weird, I didn't hate it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Captain Invictus posted:

It's The Fall of Malvolion, about a Mordian Guardsman witnessing a Tyranid invasion firsthand. It's probably the best thing involving Tyranids I've ever read, and truly captures the horrifying nature of them.

That should still be out there for free, but it's absolutely worth your $4. Nothing has ever made a Tyrranid invasion so existentially horrifying as this. This is absolutely what it's like when the mycetic spores start raining down. I'd do the same drat thing, and probably sooner.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I absolutely agree if there's even a single thing of warhammer worth paying for, it's that short story, but there's something about a thing that was free now being charged for that rubs me the wrong way.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

D-Pad posted:

The Horusian War series by French is definitely a must read IMO

I'll trust your advice and add it to the list, cheers!

Captain Invictus posted:

idk I remember liking some of his books. I recommended them Nightbringer and Storm of Iron of his stuff. Nightbringer isn't particularly great, but I liked it, and I loving LOVE Storm of Iron. Storm of Iron is just an insanely brutal and huge battle almost the whole way through that he did imo an excellent job at depicting so that you can envision it and the scale of it in your mind's eye, and while the ending is weird, I didn't hate it.

Don't trust D-Pad! There's a lot of fun McNeill, especially Storm of Iron.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The * of Mars books were fine, and weird

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Storm of Iron is just nonstop :black101::black101::black101: the entire time. It’s great. Best thing he’s ever written.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

sharknado slashfic posted:

The * of Mars books were fine, and weird

It also has my favorite gag in the whole drat franchise. Spoilers: the heroes realize something is about to go wrong because the guy they've spent 3 books reaching doesn't decorate with skulls anymore.

It's a shame that nobody's gonna pick up on the plot threads left behind. This was RIGHT before 8th edition so no Guilliman, etc.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

French is excellent when he's writing with characters he intrinsically gets how to write and the Imperial Fists are definitely some of those. His Sigismund novella is excellent, the Horusian Wars trilogy as already mentioned, The Solar War, and a bunch of the HH novellas (Crimson Fist, Templar etc).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

MariusLecter posted:

It was a youtuber doing a reading of Black Legion where the one Children of the Emperor I think just starts laughing, and explains through his fit "They won. They loving won! The Word Bearers, the loving shits with their stupid book actually won!"

Turns out I still have a screengrab of that moment still uploaded.

Also BL has announced a mega ultra FOMO edition of Fall of Cadia.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/11/the-epic-fall-of-cadia-mega-edition-is-packed-with-incredible-artefacts

Apparently the book is 544 pages. Which is pretty impressive.

quote:

Only 1,750 of these Mega Editions will be printed – each individually numbered and signed by the author – so make sure to keep your eyes peeled for a release date here on Warhammer-Community.com.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Congrats to Nate Crowley for writing the second ever series of actually good warhammer books (following Gaunt). Reign and Ruin were enjoyable reads, and it makes me sad that so far at least we don't get to follow the flayer Oltyx in his ongoing adventures.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay so I joked about it earlier and I haven't read them in a long, long time, and I don't even know how many they wound up making nor will I check at this point, but what do people think of the Gotrek and Felix series

I don't even remember what one I last read. Was there a Manslayer? I feel like there was a Manslayer. they were starting to run out of things to add -slayer on the end of it felt like when I stopped

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Khizan posted:

Storm of Iron is just nonstop :black101::black101::black101: the entire time. It’s great. Best thing he’s ever written.

IIRC Storm of Iron is literally the first book where BL had the "bad guys" win (in the sense that Chaos is bad). I remember a few interviews where McNeil faced push back because they didn't think a Chaos story would succeed.

And now Chaos is ADB's main bag, and some of yall consider McNeil bad.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The only thing of McNeill I've ever read is A Thousand Sons because it was marketed as a companion piece to Prospero Burns, which I quite liked. Can't say it left me with any particular urge to read the rest of his books.

That said, I checked out those two books on goodreads recently and A Thousand Sons actually has a slightly better user rating than Prospero Burns, so maybe I'm just a big dummy with bad opinions.

e: \/\/ lmao

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 11, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I mean McNeill has written some decent books but recommending him to a friend coming back into the BL stuff from a long absence instead of something like Chris Wraight's stuff is like telling somebody who hasn't had a TV for a long time to watch Big Bang Theory instead of Chernobyl or something.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I mean McNeill has written some decent books but recommending him to a friend coming back into the BL stuff from a long absence instead of something like Chris Wraight's stuff is like telling somebody who hasn't had a TV for a long time to watch Big Bang Theory instead of Chernobyl or something.

this the most terrible thing anyone has said about anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Might wanna walk that one back, yes.

I mean, yeesh.