Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

stealie72 posted:

I'll keep working with the Vallejo and will eventually get some Mr Surfacer.

Mostly I don't want to have to keep rattlecans on hand as yet another thing, if that makes sense.

Both Tamiya and Mr Hobby offer their primers in jars as well for use with an airbrush. I stick to lacquer based primers as I feel they are the most durable. I've heard plenty of bad stories about acrylic based primers like how they sometimes gum up or don't dry all the way etc. And I've heard plenty of people say they have no problems with them at all :shrug: But for me I mostly use Tamiya. It dries super fast and is durable as hell. Plus it's very sandable which is nice for car models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I've never had great luck sanding acrylic primer. I tried Vallejo and Stynlrez or whatever the gently caress it's called both and they both pulled up instead of sanding. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough, but if it doesn't dry almost instantly, it's taking too long.

I bought some Stynlzlsrrs or whatever a few years ago because people were going on about its virtues and it showed up - all 3 bottles - the consistency of crunchy peanut butter. No amount of shaking, stirring, or cursing would get it to level out. I wrote Badger a support email and they never responded, so I pitched the bullshit primers and vowed never to buy another Badger product as long as I lived. gently caress them.

But, while we're on the topic of such things... Let's talk flat clears. What's everyone using for their flat/matt/matte varnishes? I've been using hobby-store-standard Liquitex matte varnish mixed with Vallejo airbrush thinner and some flow aid. It works well enough, but it gums up my airbrushes more than I'd like. Anyone got any non-rattlecan suggestions for a good flat clear that sprays nicely?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I use vallejo matt acrylic varnish thinned with vallejo thinners. It sprays really nicely, usually just needs 2 thin coats, and I've never had any frosting issues with it so it's all I've been using for years. However, it seems to be best suited as a finishing varnish as it doesn't grip very well on top of a gloss coat, so weathering over it can occasionally lift/peel it off (the vallejo curse). I'm going to give Windsor & Newton matt varnish a go soon though as I've heard it's really good.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Chuck_D posted:

I've never had great luck sanding acrylic primer. I tried Vallejo and Stynlrez or whatever the gently caress it's called both and they both pulled up instead of sanding. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough, but if it doesn't dry almost instantly, it's taking too long.

I bought some Stynlzlsrrs or whatever a few years ago because people were going on about its virtues and it showed up - all 3 bottles - the consistency of crunchy peanut butter. No amount of shaking, stirring, or cursing would get it to level out. I wrote Badger a support email and they never responded, so I pitched the bullshit primers and vowed never to buy another Badger product as long as I lived. gently caress them.

But, while we're on the topic of such things... Let's talk flat clears. What's everyone using for their flat/matt/matte varnishes? I've been using hobby-store-standard Liquitex matte varnish mixed with Vallejo airbrush thinner and some flow aid. It works well enough, but it gums up my airbrushes more than I'd like. Anyone got any non-rattlecan suggestions for a good flat clear that sprays nicely?

Tamiya acrylic flat clear. It has the same properties as any other tamiya paint, it airbrushes like a dream, dries fast as hell and is very durable. Thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner is good or Mr. hobby leveling thinner.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I have a hell of a time finding matte varnish locally, so I use whatever is available. I had best results with AK Ultra Matte.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Tamiya acrylic flat clear. It has the same properties as any other tamiya paint, it airbrushes like a dream, dries fast as hell and is very durable. Thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner is good or Mr. hobby leveling thinner.

Are you referring to XF-86?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Chuck_D posted:

Are you referring to XF-86?

Yep that's it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I got a free third rate ship from Wargames illustrated magazine while I was at salute 2023. I thought it was just a cool thing, but then I realised I could give it to my stepdad as a birthday gift. He is building a 1/64 HMS Victory, so this is never going to come close to that - but hopefully he appreciates the sentiment.

On one hand, I really enjoyed doing the rigging using EZ line, but on the other, I’m glad it’s finished, and I don’t know if I could cope with doing it all with thread and deadeyes!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Yep that's it.

Thank you! I'll pick some up and give it a go.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was super jazzed about the new 1/32 A-20G Havoc from HKM. My preorder kit came in a couple weeks ago and I've been doing a pretty extensive build thread over on the Large Scale Planes forum if anyone wants to see. It's been a super fun kit to build and I just may have to do another one someday.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/97222-cry-hkm-a-20g-havoc-and-let-the-fuse-be-closed/

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

I got a free third rate ship from Wargames illustrated magazine while I was at salute 2023. I thought it was just a cool thing, but then I realised I could give it to my stepdad as a birthday gift. He is building a 1/64 HMS Victory, so this is never going to come close to that - but hopefully he appreciates the sentiment.

On one hand, I really enjoyed doing the rigging using EZ line, but on the other, I’m glad it’s finished, and I don’t know if I could cope with doing it all with thread and deadeyes!

I am putting this on a little plinth and I think I would like the surface to be as water of the Atlantic sea. I've seen various tutorials - it seems to be the case of making little rumpled bits of tinfoil glued to the base, then a layer of tinfoil ontop and then a few layers of mod podge, followed by dark green and transparent blue and then pure white for wavetops. I've seen people use cotton wool and clear silicone for bow waves/etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a first timer on all this? My plan is to make the sea base insertable initially, until I'm 100% happy with the result.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I feel like such a vulture when I see ads for hobby stuff on Marketplace.
Invariably they are dealing with paw-paws collection and stash.

I will buy a couple of the dusty and crumpled ERTL kits while I skim the Tamiya and Vallejo cream and whatever quality tools that jump out but respectfully decline the pile of railway stuff and crusty half empty Testors Bottles.

I will proudly let my own kids continue this cultural keystone of the hobby when I finally pass to Mr. Afterlife.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Wow, GSI Creos think of everything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Finally opened my Fathers Day gifts yesterday (long, boring story) and my kids got me an old school Academy USS Enterprise 1:600 kit.

This is taking me back to my youth because I definitely built some carrier or another when I was a kid, but now that I'm learning how to do a good job, this is intimidating. I told them it would probably be a winter project since it requires painting a whole bunch of edit: 48 tiny planes.

This better not get me into liking ship models.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 7, 2023

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

A word of warning: it was an aircraft carrier kit that first got me into ship modelling, as I built it on the basis that all the wee planes made it basically an aircraft build.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finished Aoshima's 1/700 Fuso, with a bonus PT boat. A bit shoddier than I aspire to, but I'm still dang happy to have made it.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I love those crazy IJN pagoda masts, good work!

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Both with this and the Kirishima, pagoda masts are the most lego-like the hobby gets.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder if there is a large scale model of just the pagoda mast from a famous ship.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Fujimi do a 1:200 yamato bridge and a couple of extra kits that combine with it to build the yamato's central structure

moparacker
May 8, 2007

There might have been a post for this in the pastbut when it comes to desktop supplies, what are people using for:

- That green cutting mat thing (if that's what it's called)
-Storage of tools and such. Like using the space between the work surface and wall

There are pictures of people's entire work areas in the thread, but I'd like to know details (I have a feeling they're long standing things in people's collections). I don't have either of these and no local hobby shop to look around at. Have to purchase via online and don't want to wildly pick something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

moparacker posted:

There might have been a post for this in the pastbut when it comes to desktop supplies, what are people using for:

-Storage of tools and such. Like using the space between the work surface and wall

There are pictures of people's entire work areas in the thread, but I'd like to know details (I have a feeling they're long standing things in people's collections). I don't have either of these and no local hobby shop to look around at. Have to purchase via online and don't want to wildly pick something.

Someone in this thread turned me on to makeup display racks which are a much cheaper alternative to actual hobby paint racks.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Yebeauty-Acr...155&sr=8-7&th=1

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The self healing cutting mats are all pretty much the same. Find whatever size works for you and order away.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

moparacker posted:

If you are wanting some space saving stuff, I really like the stuff this company makes: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product

Specifically, this workstation that includes two led lights, one of which has a louvre, a cutting mat, a back to lay your instructions against, and a battery that lists 2-4 hours. Charges by USB-C: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product/workstationver2pro

Their masking slicer can be useful: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product/masteslicerv

I haven't used mine, yet, but their water slide tray looks like it can help: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product/decalingquicktray

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

tidal wave emulator posted:

Fujimi do a 1:200 yamato bridge and a couple of extra kits that combine with it to build the yamato's central structure

Today I learned about "Pagoda Masts", what a world.

moparacker posted:

I have never noticed much difference between cutting mats, other than price.

I have committed to the "Hobby Zone" storage system. I like the modular aspect and that the units click together. Kinda pricey though so I get one unit at a time with every order I get from Super Hobby.

I have found many misc organizer trays at the dollar store. I will never give up the one that is a perfect fit for the square Tamiya bottles

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I keep most of my stuff in some bargain basement toolbox/tooltray sort of things. They’re stackable and the interior compartments adjustable, keep everything from paints and brushes to glue and putty in them. I originally did that because I was in a studio apartment with a single table so I had to pack everything away at the end of a session, now I’m just used to it and while I have a dedicated hobby area I don’t just build models so I both like/hate having to pack everything away… usually it’s all out for weeks to months at a time though.

Like this but not this exact one:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DRINK ME posted:

I keep most of my stuff in some bargain basement toolbox/tooltray sort of things. They’re stackable and the interior compartments adjustable, keep everything from paints and brushes to glue and putty in them. I originally did that because I was in a studio apartment with a single table so I had to pack everything away at the end of a session, now I’m just used to it and while I have a dedicated hobby area I don’t just build models so I both like/hate having to pack everything away… usually it’s all out for weeks to months at a time though.

Like this but not this exact one:

I keep a handful of these around for storing in-progress parts, since I tend to break down the model and paint in sub-assemblies, so each step will get its own little slot for parts.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Arrrggghhhh!

Went back to do some farting around with plastic bits and found my thin CA had tipped over.

Wasn't too bad getting the bottle unstuck, but there's now a half centimeter high craggy lump of solid CA stuck to my work desk.

And as a special bonus, the flat platform for the launch table of the old Convair Space Shuttlecraft is also a semipermanent part of the desk. I tried debonder, but that's not going to do much when the CA is between two flat surfaces.

I'd already glued the launch table to the platform.

Guess I'll be cutting it free and making a new platform from sheet styrene.

As for the CA berg and the platform, any suggestions for removal of bulk fully cured CA that won't be entirely destructive to the desk? Please don't say "Chip away, my friend!"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I would normally think the bond would be brittle enough that with a little leverage you could pop it right off and yeah, just chip the CA-berg down until you can buff whatever is left out with sandpaper.

But I think I'm underestimating the hold that an entire bottle of CA provides. I've never had something quite that... extreme... I did have a whole vial of off-brand Extra Thin evaporate on me before while it was sealed in storage though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Some crossover content, mini-wargaming channel 52 Miniatures made a diorama using a Warhammer Dreadnought and 1:35 scale model figures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5CYcUYV9M

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Thumbnail looks like chapter serfs hosing out performing a ritual of cleansing on a dreadnaught to prep it for a new "occupant".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tidal wave emulator posted:

THere's one in 1/350 for the Fuso as well.

https://www.hlj.com/1-350-scale-ijn-battleship-fuso-special-edition-bridge-fuj60077

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is this where folks talk about model railroad stuff or is there a dedicated thread somewhere?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Count Thrashula posted:

Is this where folks talk about model railroad stuff or is there a dedicated thread somewhere?

:justpost:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Okay cool :cool:

I've always wanted to get into trains, and now that I have a young child I want to make a track layout to play with him. I'll post pics here as I make progress!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Count Thrashula posted:

Okay cool :cool:

I've always wanted to get into trains, and now that I have a young child I want to make a track layout to play with him. I'll post pics here as I make progress!

It is crucially important that this table include lizardmen hunting boy scouts.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It is crucially important that this table include lizardmen hunting boy scouts.

Do you mean "lizardmen, who are hunting boy scouts" or "boy scouts who are hunting lizardmen?" Either (or both) is fine, I'm just seeking some clarity is all.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fearless posted:

Do you mean "lizardmen, who are hunting boy scouts" or "boy scouts who are hunting lizardmen?" Either (or both) is fine, I'm just seeking some clarity is all.

Depends on how you feel about lizardmen and boy scouts, I suppose. But I meant the first.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Depends on how you feel about lizardmen and boy scouts, I suppose. But I meant the first.

I've long felt that a lot of model railroads are far too quaint and not nearly weird enough. We need more N or HO scale sasquatches.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fearless posted:

I've long felt that a lot of model railroads are far too quaint and not nearly weird enough. We need more N or HO scale sasquatches.
Too many people trying to recreate an idealized version of the past, and not enough people willing to get funky.

A model railroad that exists in a David Lynch town would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Boylei Hobby Time has been doing a long-running project of "What If Wild West But With Giant Monsters" themed dioramas and he just did a video about gunning up a model train so hopefully the layout he does for it is just as weird.