Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

turn off the TV posted:

modders aren't going to fix lovely writing
the only time i had real honest fun with fallout 4 was when i had a mod that multiplied the amount of enemies to the point where it actually became the borderlands it clearly wanted to be

i expect starfield to be the same way unless they literally plagiarize new vegas, which will be incredibly funny for a different reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I had a good time with Mass Effect Andromeda. I got to the city with native aliens and it crashed to desktop. The narrative was cool up to that point so I loaded up some episodes of Stargate Atlantis and never went back.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

prime day has a $300 6700 XT which is the best budget-friendly gpu deal we've seen in a grip, absolutely jump on this poo poo if youre in need of an upgrade

thisi s BULLSHIT...

quote:

Qualifying offers
Congratulations. Your new purchase just earned you a code to redeem the game Starfield when you bought a select AMD Ryzen 7000 processor. You will receive an email with your digital code within 2 days after you receive your item. Please note only qualifying select AMD Radeon RX 7000 or RX 6000 Series graphics cards shipped and sold by Amazon.com are eligible for this promotion. One benefit per customer. Offer runs July 11, 2023 - September 30, 2023 while supplies last.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Bethesda games are good and fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lpzie posted:

thisi s BULLSHIT...

lol owned

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vile amd

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kirby what starting class did you pick

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lpzie posted:

thisi s BULLSHIT...

Todd has conned yet another soul into buying his game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Better not have been Samurai

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedleWtFIJ8

Interesting video that shows that Fallout 1 and 2 really aren't big on choices and consequences in the way modern RPGs think of them; as the guy making this says, in Fallout 2 there are correct choices (doing the good thing and getting good rewards and XP for it) and contrarian rear end in a top hat choices (sabotaging everyone for the love of the game).

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Whirling posted:

Interesting video that shows that Fallout 1 and 2 really aren't big on choices and consequences in the way modern RPGs think of them; as the guy making this says, in Fallout 2 there are correct choices (doing the good thing and getting good rewards and XP for it) and contrarian rear end in a top hat choices (sabotaging everyone for the love of the game).

fallout 1 was a better game than fallout 2

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Whirling posted:

yeah fallout2 came out several years before the whole ["your choices *matter*"] idiom came about and writers started showing the downstream consequences of player decisions reflected in-game. F2 the most resolution you get for quests is a different line of dialogue like "well I guess my turd farm is safe from raiders for now" and then you leave and never have any reason to return to that area afterward, so why bother updating NPCs or whatnot

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ben Nerevarine posted:

there’s nothing quite like that first run through a newly released Bethesda game, dodging bugs and broken saves like a warrior monk

yeah, which is weird because fallout 4 launched relatively bug free.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Whirling posted:

it's worth mentioning that this sort of thing was actually mindblowing in the 90s, you didn't get that sort of thing very often (the biggest example I could find from the era was wizardry 4)

you see this a lot of similarly revered games like the first deus ex and system shock, they were actually quite simple in their problem-solutions charts because that's all a 3-5 million budget could really afford

as asset and development costs balloon a specific subset of people (of which I am included) have come to expect more, long not realizing the games they adore so much were the product of weird benders by any number of the developers (like morrowind) and for various reasons such games are not likely to be repeated because the conditions for creating them are very rare

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

silentsnack posted:

yeah fallout2 came out several years before the whole ["your choices *matter*"] idiom came about and writers started showing the downstream consequences of player decisions reflected in-game. F2 the most resolution you get for quests is a different line of dialogue like "well I guess my turd farm is safe from raiders for now" and then you leave and never have any reason to return to that area afterward, so why bother updating NPCs or whatnot

people who jerk off over fallout 1 and 2 haven't played the games my guy. They play New Vegas, hear its like the old fallout games and then project that backwards into the interplay fallout games. Todd howard's biggest crime was resurrecting that franchise so now you get to be inundated with annoying people who got strongarmed into voting for joe think they are revolutionaries for choosing the Yes Man ending.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
speaking of new vegas nuevo mexico looks cool

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, I am waiting for fallout london instead. At least its coming out.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
theyre all going to come out, actually, and be fun, andim going to have fun playing them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

croup coughfield posted:

theyre all going to come out, actually, and be fun, andim going to have fun playing them

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i know they didn't do it for engine reasons and lovely console per-core performance but i'd have enjoyed and been much more sold on the plot of fallout 4 a lot more if in the minuteman (and maybe brotherhood) playthroughs you went into open war with institute forces and synths after settlements you don't control (or left alone for long enough) eventually got slaughtered by the institute as they're implied to have been doing the entire time

20 settlers with inexplicably powerful .45 carbines vs 30-50 feral synths would have been loving amazing to play through

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

croup coughfield posted:

no bro, microsoft should give fallout to obsidian (please ignore outer worlds. Todd howard bullied them into making a breadtube video for a story)

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
they should give the fallout franchise to me but failing that i will trust the modders

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i know they didn't do it for engine reasons and lovely console per-core performance but i'd have enjoyed and been much more sold on the plot of fallout 4 a lot more if in the minuteman (and maybe brotherhood) playthroughs you went into open war with institute forces and synths after settlements you don't control (or left alone for long enough) eventually got slaughtered by the institute as they're implied to have been doing the entire time

20 settlers with inexplicably powerful .45 carbines vs 30-50 feral synths would have been loving amazing to play through

you nuke the institute. Hard to do an open war afterwards if you blow up their base. The game's biggest crime was not allowing us to invade nuka world as a postgame option. Just rebuilding america with strontium laced coca cola.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

fallout 2 multiplayer with pvp was hilarious...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lpzie posted:

fallout 2 multiplayer with pvp was hilarious...

the period of time before the devs patched out all of the ways to get guns and grenades was hilarious

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

the period of time before the devs patched out all of the ways to get guns and grenades was hilarious

they organized a bare boxing match and some goons went and we put c4 in peoples pockets in the crowd

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Lpzie posted:

they organized a bare boxing match and some goons went and we put c4 in peoples pockets in the crowd
drat I missed a good time

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lpzie posted:

that's how you robbed people at the shady sands merchant

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

people who jerk off over fallout 1 and 2 haven't played the games my guy. They play New Vegas, hear its like the old fallout games and then project that backwards into the interplay fallout games. Todd howard's biggest crime was resurrecting that franchise so now you get to be inundated with annoying people who got strongarmed into voting for joe think they are revolutionaries for choosing the Yes Man ending.

I think a lot about the people that allege that Fallout 1 and 2 are these big anti-capitalist games when trying to own right-wing people online ("Hah! You say you hate politics in gaming, but you like Fallout, a left-wing political game?"). I don't really think there's much to that kind of thinking. Fallout 1 either has you deal with these small holdings whose politics stops and ends at "don't die to raiders or mutant wildlife", or presents places where capitalism is reemerging (like the Hub) as a good thing. Fallout 2 likewise presents the NCR, which is explicitly modeled after the pre-war USA's form of government and free market economy, as a force of good in the wasteland. While both games do show the old US government doing bad things (Fallout 1 opens with US soldiers murdering a Canadian rebel and then waving to the camera, and Fallout 2 has everything to do with the Enclave), it's presented in the very liberal way of "you just need good people like Tandi instead of bad people like President Richardson, and things will be good".

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
video games: in mods we trust

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its anticapitalist in the epic gen-x "I don't even care way" which means not at all. Fallout 2 also has the 90s equivalent of memespeak and incessant pop culture references. New Vegas' big opposing factions are a somewhat corrupt miniature USA and a bunch of literal football rapists and slavers. I really blame hbomberguy's video essay on fallout 3 for this current outbreak though.

Bethesda of all people actually put some actual thought into their game. The epic capitalist deathbot liberty prime that spouts red scare slogans? You use it to laser the remnants of the US government and give people access to a critical resource for free. The NCR equivalent in fallout 4 requires a literal deus ex machina in the form of the player to bring them back to life. The most morally upright main faction in the game has you be the equivalent of a partisan in a blasted hellscape. The bad guys have mechanical incentives that tempt the player to join them in the game for added benefit.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

Kirby what starting class did you pick

Prisoner with the Health Amulet. I like having a magic dump for the early game, I want this dark souls to be the one I learn how to Parry in so I went with the small shield instead of the buckler so I could learn to git gud.

My first session is done in the span of a toddlers nap. I jumped into the cave of knowledge. Avoided a glowing badass on the road and got to my first fight: the giant and the crossbow dudes. It was cool learning a fight again. I first used my magic to kill crossbowmen, then I used sword to kill crossbowmen, then I learned to use giant to kill crossbowman.

Then I had to kill giant. That was rough, but one of the signs said to try close quarters battle and I did and it worked after I got better and pressed the correct buttons at the correct time.

I saved all my mana for when the giant pulled the sword out of his shoulder. That was scary and I didn't want to learn that so I just pressed magic bolt at him until he died

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i have mixed news about parrying in elden ring...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah you put the lucaria parry enchantment on your shield and spam the parry button.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if you want to learn to parry you should play fromsoft's best game, sekiro

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

croup coughfield posted:

:stonk:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

World War Mammories posted:

if you want to learn to parry you should play fromsoft's best game, sekiro

No, I hesitated and died

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Str/vig/end is all u need but the important thing is bumbling into things with whatever seems most interesting at the time. When you've given up on parrying, don't sleep on shields, the guard counter mechanic is new and loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

bedpan posted:

fallout 1 was a better game than fallout 2