Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol I haven't thought of that in years, that's one of those games that I still have absolutely no idea what was going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

one thing i really appreciate in Slayers X is that the game opens in the players cool base with a gallery of all the weapons in the game. It's such a classic feature of like 'big name' total conversions and megamods from the era, stuff like Malice for Quake 1, Gunman Chronicles for goldsrc, the X-Men TC for Quake. Chaos UT and U4E (both for UT99) also had firing range maps to show off their new weapons, though they had no singleplayer.

its such a classic like display of enthusiasm, like the modders couldn't wait to get what they'd created into your hands (or at least show them off) before you'd naturally encounter them in the rest of the game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Convex posted:

Imagine if they made a TekWar 2 with a horde mode

Shatner interrupts to caution you for every 1,000 kills
Koei-Tecmo and Omega Force presents: TekWarriors

Good soup! posted:

lol I haven't thought of that in years, that's one of those games that I still have absolutely no idea what was going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9wasrV2c8

I was going to say this game looks like it's impossible to finish, but I looked a little further down the search results, and there was someone who managed to finish it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1sY9oN7eb4

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

juggalo baby coffin posted:

one thing i really appreciate in Slayers X is that the game opens in the players cool base with a gallery of all the weapons in the game. It's such a classic feature of like 'big name' total conversions and megamods from the era, stuff like Malice for Quake 1, Gunman Chronicles for goldsrc, the X-Men TC for Quake. Chaos UT and U4E (both for UT99) also had firing range maps to show off their new weapons, though they had no singleplayer.

its such a classic like display of enthusiasm, like the modders couldn't wait to get what they'd created into your hands (or at least show them off) before you'd naturally encounter them in the rest of the game.

Does Malice hold up? I googled it after this post, found a download and got it working with Quakespasm but is it good?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Finished Slayers X. It was awesome but I think my save got corrupted as I died fighting the last boss but when I respawned there was nothing there, just level geometry but no sprites or enemies of any kind. The last autosave worked but any quicksaves after that seemed to screw it up again. Fortunately the last boss isn't that difficult after a few tries, but could do with having less health probably.
IIRC this is a known bug with boss encounters and the latest patches try and fix it by disabling saving in those situations?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Mordja posted:

Does Malice hold up? I googled it after this post, found a download and got it working with Quakespasm but is it good?

i don't know because i got lost on the first map last time i tried it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's the firing range map for ut99

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Mordja posted:

I played it in 2020 and had a pretty good time! The voice acting and cutscenes are ultra hammy but it's impressively ambitious for the time

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

IIRC this is a known bug with boss encounters and the latest patches try and fix it by disabling saving in those situations?

Ah that's good to know. I wondered if it was a weird secret for a while.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the firing range map for ut99

they came with their respective mods, heres a vid of the Unreal4Ever one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDX10dLE1Q. i cant find one of the chaos UT mod bc youtube search is dogshit these days

edit: i gotta say theres something weirdly fitting about the system shock 1 remake and the slayers x soundtrack together

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 10, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well it took me 18 hours but I played boltgun since the first time I beat it weeks ago to run through on exterminatus + secret hunting, the real time sink, to round out the achievements and I gotta be honest, taking some time off from it made me like it more. It's not like I considered most of its problems glaring to begin with but this time around they seemed less pronounced and I just had a lot more fun with it. No clue why, I assume I just understood the game a lot more and the levels were slightly less of a problem. Anyway very solid game, blah blah we've been over all this, probably gonna put it on the shelf for some time while I get into something different.

Except for one thing:

Now that I'm a bonafide expert just gonna break from the mold and say that the shotgun not only isn't bad, it's actually pretty decent and bordering on one of the better weapons in the game, better than the boltgun in a lot of encounters and is the better candidate for upgrading. Not wildly so but I'd say it edged out total kills and certainly in far fewer shots fired and not just cannon fodder either. Going further on the subject I'd say the real loser among the firearms is the vengeance launcher and even it's not that bad. I guess it's supposed to be the game's grenade launcher but the plasma gun already overlaps that role better and has a higher strength so it's got a lot more utility against tougher enemies. The real stinker of the game though? The goddamn chainsword, a weapon I gave up trying to use a quarter of the way through the first act. What a piece of poo poo. A chainsaw that doesn't stunlock, a shameful chainsaw. And you're stuck in place too. God I hate this trash

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only just got Boltgun off the sale, but going by the start screen, I wonder if they have plans to add more characters? Like, just add left and right arrows to either side of the Sternguard Veteran picture and we're in business.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well it took me 18 hours but I played boltgun since the first time I beat it weeks ago to run through on exterminatus + secret hunting, the real time sink, to round out the achievements and I gotta be honest, taking some time off from it made me like it more. It's not like I considered most of its problems glaring to begin with but this time around they seemed less pronounced and I just had a lot more fun with it. No clue why, I assume I just understood the game a lot more and the levels were slightly less of a problem. Anyway very solid game, blah blah we've been over all this, probably gonna put it on the shelf for some time while I get into something different.

Except for one thing:

Now that I'm a bonafide expert just gonna break from the mold and say that the shotgun not only isn't bad, it's actually pretty decent and bordering on one of the better weapons in the game, better than the boltgun in a lot of encounters and is the better candidate for upgrading. Not wildly so but I'd say it edged out total kills and certainly in far fewer shots fired and not just cannon fodder either. Going further on the subject I'd say the real loser among the firearms is the vengeance launcher and even it's not that bad. I guess it's supposed to be the game's grenade launcher but the plasma gun already overlaps that role better and has a higher strength so it's got a lot more utility against tougher enemies. The real stinker of the game though? The goddamn chainsword, a weapon I gave up trying to use a quarter of the way through the first act. What a piece of poo poo. A chainsaw that doesn't stunlock, a shameful chainsaw. And you're stuck in place too. God I hate this trash

the chainsword stunlocks based on how low the enemies health is when you start chainsawing them, the higher health enemies can counter out of it if you start trying to stunlock them when they have higher hp

i do agree that like it should provide some degree of protection or health to compensate for it holding you in place during bigger fights, bc it is an easy way to get yourself killed if plasma gunners are around

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mordja posted:

I only just got Boltgun off the sale, but going by the start screen, I wonder if they have plans to add more characters? Like, just add left and right arrows to either side of the Sternguard Veteran picture and we're in business.

It's a good setting for throwback shooters I feel. It's totally silly but with some awesome locales and exotic yet familiar weapons

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ive either ruined or improved system shock with the slayers x soundtrack, sprinting around eviscerating cyborgs with the laser rapier

i would like a mod that gives the hacker zane's lines though

look at u, slayer... a pathetic creature of hack and blood bwl

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the psi sword has a psionic power charge

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ive either ruined or improved system shock with the slayers x soundtrack, sprinting around eviscerating cyborgs with the laser rapier

The System Shock Remake's usage of Public Image LTD's "The Order of Death", a la the song from the film "Hardware", is the best thing about it in my opinion.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Halo MCC has announced a new update for tomorrow. Highlights include the ability to join Firefight matches in progress, the return of the 3v3 "Generator Defense" mode from the original Halo Reach Network Test Beta, 8-player support for ODST firefight, Theater Mode for Halo 4 Campaign and Spartan Ops, Escalation Slayer for Halo 3, and some new toys for mod makers (including the source data for some unreleased, unfinished Halo 3 DLC maps!)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

the psi sword has a psionic power charge

i designed this space station in a notebook when i was 16

*kills a giant spider*

your dad sucks!

Convex fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 11, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mordja posted:

I've still got the game installed on this exact expectation/hope. I liked Boltgun enough that it won't take much to draw me back in and I'm down for any additional content they want to add.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The System Shock Remake's usage of Public Image LTD's "The Order of Death", a la the song from the film "Hardware", is the best thing about it in my opinion.

I would have gone with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ibU5dBTDo

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

'the order of death' is part of cyberpunk lore, system shock owes a fair amount to the movie Hardware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaVIAlJlnw

if you've not seen it i highly recommend it, a lot of little environmental scenes you see in FPS games like 'person cut in half by door and left there' started out as tributes to Hardware. the movie and early fps games have a fair amount in common; minimal story with juuust enough worldbuilding, carried by visual style and graphic violence

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t actually like Hardware but I agree it’s worth watching if you’re into cyberpunk stuff. The story is a ripoff of a short from legendary British sci-fi comic mag 2000AD. It also has some fun cameos by some musicians.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7UAWLNBKc

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Really been enjoying my time with HROT. Coming up on the end of episode 2 now.

The brown aesthetic is a little grating at times, but theme appropriate for sure. Also, the shotguns feel good, which is obviously the most important aspect of a boomer shooter.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the shotguns feel real good, the soviet shotty is a real solid workhorse weapon with the others filling niche roles like long distance, splash kills, needing to do extremely high damage really fast to someone who's all up on, and crowd control. A solid weapon lineup all around, really.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i still feel like the SMG sucks poo poo. but the other weapons are all good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think it's that bad, I wish it was more likely to stun enemies or was more accurate or had a slightly higher DPS. It's not my favorite but if I'm low on shells it's a decent weapon to fall back on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It'd be better if it dropped more ammo or had a larger pool. I was always running out

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

david_a posted:

I don’t actually like Hardware but I agree it’s worth watching if you’re into cyberpunk stuff. The story is a ripoff of a short from legendary British sci-fi comic mag 2000AD. It also has some fun cameos by some musicians.

I land about here with Hardware. As a piece of art, the visuals, tone, music, the whole aesthetic really is amazing and you can feel its influence all over tons of stuff you already like. As a movie to watch for entertainment, it's pretty substandard even when grading on a generous "VHS era sci-fi horror" curve.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
My only real problem with HROT's weapons was an over-reliance on the shotgun and supershotgun. The first few levels were real tight on ammo so it trained me to use what I had the most ammo for, which was shotguns. Every time I needed to snipe something I would run out of pistol and SMG ammo real quick so back to the shotgun! And I never really found electrical closets after the first act, so electrical ammo was incredibly sparse and was saved for boss encounters.

I think doubling the amount of SMG ammo from each pickup, doubling max SMG ammo, and making something drop pistol ammo would go a long way toward fixing my problems with HROT's weapon feel. I also admit to not liking the Soviet Shotgun, but I feel like that's a me problem and not something that really needs to be fixed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The 7th Guest posted:

i still feel like the SMG sucks poo poo. but the other weapons are all good

I find the rof and dps on the smg is good, but the "feel" of it kinda sucks.

Still works for mowing down mopes though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I rarely used the lightning gun for bosses anyway. I found it better for tough mobs.

Anyway I was playing the metal hellsinger demo and holy poo poo am I bad at rhythm games. Actually playing an instrument is less of a pain in the rear end. Shame because I kinda like the premise enough

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the lightning gun's big draw is that it arcs to nearby enemies so it's great for taking down crowds and when a boss is spawning mobs like Gustav in episode 2 or the final boss' final form.

Smaskous drop pistol ammo, but only a couple bullets and not often enough.

I kind of wish the game included headshots for the pistol and crossbow. Overall the crossbow could use some better damage feedback too I think.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DoombatINC posted:

I land about here with Hardware. As a piece of art, the visuals, tone, music, the whole aesthetic really is amazing and you can feel its influence all over tons of stuff you already like. As a movie to watch for entertainment, it's pretty substandard even when grading on a generous "VHS era sci-fi horror" curve.

I liked Hardware a bit more than that, but I will agree that its aesthetics stand out more than the film itself. I think it'd be a fun marathon night to do Hardware, Death Machine, and Screamers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

catlord posted:

I liked Hardware a bit more than that, but I will agree that its aesthetics stand out more than the film itself. I think it'd be a fun marathon night to do Hardware, Death Machine, and Screamers.

Death Machine is the one where Porkins from Star Wars gets eviscerated in a lift, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fil5000 posted:

Death Machine is the one where Porkins from Star Wars gets eviscerated in a lift, right?

It's been a little bit since I watched it, but that sounds about right. Brad Dourif as creepy incel programmer who makes a killer robot and lets it loose to kill his boss.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyway I was playing the metal hellsinger demo and holy poo poo am I bad at rhythm games. Actually playing an instrument is less of a pain in the rear end. Shame because I kinda like the premise enough

I like everything about Hellsinger except playing it. :sigh:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it's that bad, I wish it was more likely to stun enemies or was more accurate or had a slightly higher DPS. It's not my favorite but if I'm low on shells it's a decent weapon to fall back on.

I feel like is this is any SMG in any game ever maybe minus HL1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thrift shop has somebodies cd copies of Hexen and all Quake 1 and Quake 2 mission packs and was about to buy then the FTC lost their preliminary injunction against Microsoft.