Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just got back from the derby, was awesome.

Highlights:
- all the team's mascots were there
- I saw billy the marlin
- the entire stadium (myself included) booed the astros mascot
- the entire stadium (myself included) cheered for the philly phanatic
- It was real cool when Rutschman switched to batting right and still crushed them
- Julio's moment was like 80% as satisfying as winning the whole thing would have been
- vladdy nailed one of those outfield kids in the face, and I laughed real hard like a horrible person (they got up eventually)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bummer that Rutschman was bounced in the first round but he hit a "respectable" amount, switching sides and hitting 7/8 for home runs is a very cool move. I hope he's in it again next year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

Julio hit 41 home runs in a single round and set the new record :stare:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1678577174549504000

I love him so much :swoon:

Very on brand for a Mariner to break the opening round record only to miss getting to the finals.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
We have to hang our hat on something :smith:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Kirios posted:

Very on brand for a Mariner to break the opening round record only to miss getting to the finals.

This should be known as the Hamilton maneuver when you do something amazing in the first round but still somehow lose.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Robert Jr apparently hurt his calf in the first round and will sit out the ASG and is DTD.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 12, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Robert Jr apparently hurt his calf in the first roiand will sit out the ASG and is DTD.

no apparently about it

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1678875583151853571

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The home run derby is stupid and no one should want players on their team to do it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

As a fan of THE CHAMP, you are wrong

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After extensive tests and an MRI last night following the Home Run Derby Vladimir Guerrero Jr is confirmed to have "That Dog" in him, he is day to day

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

After extensive tests and an MRI last night following the Home Run Derby Vladimir Guerrero Jr is confirmed to have "That Dog" in him, he is day to day

He's having kind of a meh year. Maybe this will help but it's just as likely to do nothing or hurt. I'm still not exactly sure how good he is tbh. He's been a pretty fine player other than his one awesome year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Home Run Derby has nothing to do with second half performance and it never has.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

The Home Run Derby has nothing to do with second half performance and it never has.

It does if you get hurt during it :v:

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I hope the WSox just choose not to come back after the break and forfeit the second half...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Poque posted:

It does if you get hurt during it :v:

Julio hurt himself but had a 2nd half wrc+ of 169 last season :colbert:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I wanted to be a little sourpuss bitch so I decided to revisit some of my excellent thoughts from the Meet the Team thread for the cardinals.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Catcher: Yadier Molina

Oh, I was wrong. Sorry. It’s former Cub Willy Contreras! Wil is our big free agent signing to replace Yadier Molina. He has said a bunch of stuff about how much better our organization is, how he knows Cubs fans hated him the entire time he was there, how Chicago’s crime rate is way worse than St. Louis’s. All accurate. Batting fifth behind Goldschmidt and Arenado. Cardinals fans have been spoiled with elite pitch framing and base runner gun downs for like twenty years straight so if Wilson’s even slightly worse he won’t hear the end of it, probably. But he’ll be hitting better than Yadi probably ever did so call it a wash. IMO

Incorrect! Dude has been a total disaster. His hitting in June was not bad but every other month was awful. He definitely doesn’t deserve all the blame on account of the relentlessly stupid campaign by our front office and manager to make him look stupid and stuff but this has been a huge disaster.

quote:

1st Base: NL MVP Paul Goldschmidt

Goldy mixed up his routine last year. Instead of having a slow start to the year, he started off hot and raked all year long…right up until September when he had an insane (for him) slump that lasted all the way into our playoff series, where he utterly embarrassed himself. He won the MVP, deservingly, but left a really bad taste in fans mouths. He has to have a better end of the season this year, it would suck for his legacy to be “great regular season player who chokes in the playoffs”.
Well he hasn’t been as good as last year but he’s still been very good. Kind of ineffective with runners in scoring position relative to his usual standard which is weird. Team should trade him but won’t.

quote:

2nd Base: Brendan Donovan and Nolan Gorman

Brendan Donovan was last year’s Devil Magic Rookie. He hit a ton, walked a ton, struck out never, and played competent defense at basically every position but 1B and C. He’ll play at about every position but the two I just mentioned, but will probably see the majority of his time at second base. He is working on adding more power at the plate, and is pencilled in as the lead off guy because he doesn’t strike out. Dude was awesome.

Nolan Gorman was a highly touted midseason callup who should be at 3B but is blocked. His defense is ok at 2B and will probably be better with no shift. Hits for power well but had issues with high fastballs. Strikes out a lot, mostly on those. Supposedly looks like he’s ironed that out a bit in spring training. He’ll probably be at either 2B or DH when he plays.
Basically hit the nail on the head here. Donovan has been good again although not as good defensively. Gorman started the season off hot but had a really bad June. He’s hit like 18 homers though which is leading the team.

quote:

Shortstop: Tommy Edman

Devil Magic Alum Tommy moved to SS last year amid some concerns that he would take a step down defensively. Fortunately he was as usual a total stud in that regard. He started the season very hot and tailed off a bit at the end. We have a hot prospect waiting in the wings for shortstop and I wouldn’t be surprised if Tommy ends up getting traded in the future. He’s my favorite guy on the roster right now though.
A pretty typical edman season. Arguably the best defender on the team this year. Started as SS, got moved to CF due to all the injuries, now he’s hurt. He’s been hitting worse this season but he’s also been batting ninth so whatever I guess.

quote:

3rd Base: Nolan Arenado

Same story as Goldy but without the nice mvp trophy. Arenado was a killer last season and there’s a good chance he wins mvp if Goldschmidt wasn’t here. Oh well! Also turned into a playoff pumpkin. He’s on a relatively affordable deal so he’ll be here for a long time. I don’t know what else to say here. He’s really good.
Not great. He’s hit well since the first month of the season but his defense has gone from “best 3B in the league” to “below average”. Pretty inexplicable. Still probably the second best half season of the bunch but a bit of a disappointment IMO.

quote:

Outfield Mystery Zone: Tyler O’Neill and Dylan Carlson

Canadian Bacon had a rough go round last season. He was hurt a ton and couldn’t find a rhythm. Fast for a bulky dude.

Dylan Carlson was supposed to be locked in at CF after Harrison Bader got traded last year. He proceeded to have a wretched second half of the season and the team had to trot out injury excuses.

One of these two dudes is going to be the center fielder, and the other is going to be riding pine. At this point I’d bet on Carlson as the starter but who knows. Would not be surprised at all to see neither one with the team after this season. Hopefully they can both bounce back but I’m not holding my breath. If O’Neill isn’t productive I suspect he’ll be gone at the trade deadline, probably in a package for a pitcher. Ok I saved the best two guys for last. Let’s get it.
Total garbage. O’Neill got hurt but not before the manager decided to poo poo all over him. They basically have to trade him once he’s done at rehab. Carlson has barely played because of injuries and he’s not been good when he’s been healthy. Tommy edman has never played center field in his life and they’ve got him out there over these two lol. Unload them both IMO

quote:

Right Field: Lars Nootbaar

Noot is fresh off the WBC championship and hopefully a lot of conversations with shohei otahni about playing in St. Louis. As the only non-Wainwright person on the roster to win anything of consequence, I expect Lil Bro Lars to take a step forward as a leader this year. He played awesome the second half of last year and everyone loved him.
Lars has also been a disappointing performer, and he’s also been hurt a bunch on and off. Bummer!!!

quote:

Jordan Walker

After years and years of being told, no, THIS guy is the prospect that is gonna come up and instantly transform this team, shout outs Colby rasmus, shout outs Oscar taveras, shout outs Steven Piscotty, shout outs Dylan Carlson, shout outs Nolan Gorman…it seems like it’s finally happening. Jordan Walker is seven feet tall, nineteen years old, and is going to displace one of the outfielders listed above that isn’t named Lars. Dude raked at AA in both games I got to watch him there as well as basically all the other ones last season, raked at AAA, and raked this spring. All of the beat writers are comparing him to when Pujols was a rookie and was so good in camp that he forced the team to call him up. If the stodgy rear end cardinals beat people are already anointing this guy, it’s for real. I cannot loving wait to watch this guy play in the bigs.
Jordan has been really good and consistent offensively, and really bad in the field. Got sent down for a month to work on his launch angle, which lead to him giving a very grim interview where he said he was upset and frustrated at the demotion and that he decided to just do what he had always done instead of what the team wanted which is hilarious and probably for the best given how awful the big league team has been.

Adam Wainwright

Uncle Charlie is back for one last ride. He was effective last season but dealt with a dead arm like I mentioned before. The writing is on the wall and I hope he is able to go out with some grace. Oh, and he’s already on the IL for the first month of the year.
Has been awful to the point that the team has manufactured a pretend injury to avoid him embarrassing himself any further. Has given up an average of seven runs in his last three starts, none of which went more than three innings if I’m remembering right. It’s really hard to watch.

quote:

Miles Mikolas

Just got himself a nice extension! Mikolas is the most consistent guy in our rotation. Ideally he’s a perfect 2 or 3, he can pitch deep into games and has that hardheaded shitboy attitude where he gets extra pissed if you take him out. Rarely spectacular but he isn’t gonna go out there and poo poo himself either. We about ran him off a cliff last year because our manager has a slow hook for him. Understandable but still stupid.
Inconsistent, has followed up every quality start with a shellacking. He’s pushing super hard to put the tball am on his back and can’t do it. Hard to watch.

quote:

Jack Flaherty

Jack was incredible four years ago. Unfortunately since then he’s been hurt a lot. Last year I said that he was going to bolt for California which may still come to pass but I think his injury issues might actually make it easier to keep him in St. Louis. A lot of the young pitching depth in AA and AAA is coming out soon though. I don’t know what to expect from Jack, he’s looked pretty bad in spring training.
Hugely inconsistent as per his last couple years. A small number front office would be desperately trying to unload him to a team that thinks they can fix him. I imagine the brain trust at the top is just excited that he might be a cheap option to bring back next year.

quote:

Jordan Montgomery

The cardinals traded for this guy last year. He was really good! The Yankees probably wish they still had him given their injury problems now. I suspect the returns will diminish a bit but he’s serviceable at worst. Keep the beard though homie.
The only consistent member of the rotation. Is playing himself out of Missouri at this rate…but hurt his hamstring right before the ASB. If you asked me a few days ago I think I said trade him but now I hope they don’t. He may not be incredible but he’s reliable and we’ll need somebody like him next season.

quote:

Steven Matz

Barely played last season due to injuries. If he’s healthy he’ll project well with our elite defense behind him but we’ll see. Has looked very good in spring. Fingers crossed!
Total garbage as a starter, got demoted to the bullpen for Matthew Liberatore who has also sucked dick, had good results as a reliever behind wainwrights corpse and is getting his old job back. I’m rooting for him but not holding my breath.

quote:

Jake Woodford

Woody is actually kind of an interesting story. Came up and played a bit in 2021. Had a good fastball. Barely got any run in 2022, was constantly negged by the manager whenever the beat writers would ask about why he wasn’t here. The team doesn’t like the way he pitches. Flash forward to now, he’s the next man up replacing Waino in the rotation. I’m rooting hard for Jake, this is a huge chance for him to show that our manager was wrong.
He sucked and got hurt, end of sentence.

quote:

The bullpen is a strength
No it loving isn’t. The end. Look up how many blown saves these bums have if you want a laugh.

quote:

Manager: Oliver Marmol

Our last manager was fired due to philosophical disagreements with the methodology of our front office, and Oli came in. I think most fans expected him to be a bit of a yes man as a result. Overall he managed some things better (more willing to platoon things), and hosed some other things up (deferred to older players too frequently, rode our closer into the dirt). His overreliance on Helsley specifically blew one of the playoff games. I don’t think managers win games but they can definitely lose them. He lost that one anyway. His need to piss on Woodford last year was also very weird and seemed a bit personal. The results were pretty dang good overall but it was a good team already so I’m reticent to give him much credit.
Oli has utterly butchered multiple players confidence and has managed the bullpen like a drunk. He is going to be the scapegoat next season if the team has a first half this bad again but I think he’s safe on the basis of the team not wanting to admit they hosed up firing Schildt.

quote:

President of Baseball Ops I Think: John Mozeliak

I don’t think any fan of an MLB team likes their teams general manager. It is a thankless position. Mo has been here for an eternity and people are always pissed about everything he does or doesn’t do. I think he totally mismanaged our starting rotation last season, but he also pivoted strongly at the deadline and addressed the issue. But it was not timely enough. This year looks like we’ll be in the same boat. Adam wainwright is already on ice for a month, we’re relying on two good not great guys in Mikolas and Montgomery, two guys who can’t stay healthy in Matz and Flaherty, and a relative unknown in Woodford. This team really really should have brought in another starting pitcher, but they didn’t. Now that the negative is out of the way, here’s some positives. The cardinals are not known for loving guys on their service time. The cardinals have an excellent pipeline of talent from our farm teams. The cardinals haven’t had a losing season in like fifteen years. Overall I would say mozeliak has been an excellent GM who deserves to catch the poo poo he’s catching right now but we could do a lot worse.
It’s time man. Mozeliak has had a good run but you can trace about every issue this team currently has to things he’s done. On display this all star weekend: Zac Gallen as the NL starting pitcher (traded by mozeliak for marcel Ozuna, alongside last years nl cy young winner in sandy alcantara)! Adolis Garcia and Randy Arozarena in the HR derby (dumped without any major league run, traded to clear space for Harrison bader who is no longer on the team, in a return we got Matthew liberatore who has been terrible)! Sean Murphy (decided to cheap out and not give up trade assets, signed Wilson Contreras instead, who sucks butt)! Lane Thomas is hitting .300 for the nationals right now. Im sure there’s other dudes I can’t think of. But this poo poo team is his fault. It reminds me of why Jon Robinson got fired as the Titans GM over NFL yonder. Thank you for your efforts Mo but you should probably lose your job. Got a five year extension this off-season though so he will not be going anywhere.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yo I feel you man but it's a good thing salt doesn't contain alcohol or half this thread would go permanently blind reading that

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Speaking of salt....

Prime missed opportunity by MLB to just start the NWO music and Tucker walking out like Scott Hall.

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1678916364386418688?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Speaking of salt....

Prime missed opportunity by MLB to just start the NWO music and Tucker walking out like Scott Hall.

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1678916364386418688?s=20

Astros fans still being suprised that everyone hates their rotten cheating team always makes me chuckle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sean Murphy (decided to cheap out and not give up trade assets, signed Wilson Contreras instead, who sucks butt)!

Unless you actually work in the FO I cannot recommend enough that you not get mad about trades that don't happen. You can't possibly know enough to know if it was the Cards' fault on that one!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Astros fans still being suprised that everyone hates their rotten cheating team always makes me chuckle.

Oh I think Yordan come by it honest

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Tayter Swift posted:

Yo I feel you man but it's a good thing salt doesn't contain alcohol or half this thread would go permanently blind reading that

Lol. Thank you. I thought it would be fun to revisit and it was fun. For me anyway

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Inspector_666 posted:

Unless you actually work in the FO I cannot recommend enough that you not get mad about trades that don't happen. You can't possibly know enough to know if it was the Cards' fault on that one!

The reporting from the local beat writer was that the As wanted either Brendan Donovan or Lars Nootbaar and Gordon graceffo (AAA pitcher). Normally I would say take beat writer reports with a grain of salt but the guy who reported it would rather die than speculate anything. If he reported it it’s because it’s been given to him directly by somebody in the organization lol. At any rate it was a mistake especially with the incredible pile of underachieving outfielders we have lying around

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I appreciate you BB. What a strange season it's been.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Contreras is a lot like Javy in that a huge factor in his overall performance is vibes. He played like an AS in 2021 until the core was traded, and then he coasted the rest of the way. He played like an AS in the first half of 2022 trying to make the case for an extension, then when the Cubs put him on the block anyway he slumped miserably for two months, then bounced back a bit until all the media buzz hit about how the Cubs FO hated his game behind the scenes and would not even entertain bringing him back he started slumping again.

I genuinely do not know how much of the tales of his pitching staff and game prep mismanagement are actually true behind the scenes, but all moving him off the primary catcher spot and publicly making GBS threads on him will do is cause him to do is sulk and not hit well at all. :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Contreras is a lot like Javy in that a huge factor in his overall performance is vibes. He played like an AS in 2021 until the core was traded, and then he coasted the rest of the way. He played like an AS in the first half of 2022 trying to make the case for an extension, then when the Cubs put him on the block anyway he slumped miserably for two months, then bounced back a bit until all the media buzz hit about how the Cubs FO hated his game behind the scenes and would not even entertain bringing him back he started slumping again.

I genuinely do not know how much of the tales of his pitching staff and game prep mismanagement are actually true behind the scenes, but all moving him off the primary catcher spot and publicly making GBS threads on him will do is cause him to do is sulk and not hit well at all. :shrug:

This is true to an extent, but Contreras' hitting isn't completely dependent upon bat speed like Javy's is. As we've seen, as Javy has gotten older and lost just a little bit of velocity to his swing, his offensive output cratered. Contreras seems to be rebounding a bit, at least, but I think he's been the victim of what seems like a pretty toxic and petty organization.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
^^^Yeah pretty much. If you’re gonna pay this dude eighty million dollars maybe give it more than a month before you start doing everything but say he’s not smart enough to play his position.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I appreciate you BB. What a strange season it's been.

Thank you. I know my whining is probably unbearable. But drat does this team suck butt this season!

Sydin posted:

I think there is probably a fair amount of truth to him mismanaging stuff but it’s in comparison to like…the best pitch framer and game manager of my lifetime. He has been good offensively since June and deserves credit for pulling himself out of his tailspin but the defense has been bad and his vibes are royally hosed (again, this is obviously not his fault). It was a bad contract if the team is already wringing their hands over it but it’s definitely not all on him

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Cardinals are poop, from a butt

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thank you. I know my whining is probably unbearable. But drat does this team suck butt this season!

The worst thing to me is that the team has had insanely bad luck on top of everything else. It seems like none of the random coin toss baseball things ever go their way. I genuinely think the second half of the season will be much better but god drat, it's a lot to take in lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Very true and well said

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
can you imagine the cardinals letting one of their supposedly great catching prospects get meaningful PT (and not letting andrew knizner float for 3 years)?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I think there is probably a fair amount of truth to him mismanaging stuff but it’s in comparison to like…the best pitch framer and game manager of my lifetime. He has been good offensively since June and deserves credit for pulling himself out of his tailspin but the defense has been bad and his vibes are royally hosed (again, this is obviously not his fault). It was a bad contract if the team is already wringing their hands over it but it’s definitely not all on him

I definitely though it was really weird that the Cardinals were so aggressively targeting Contreras. They were coming off the end of nearly 20 years of having one of the best catchers in MLB history in terms of game/pitcher management (something I admit even as a person who does not really care for Molina to put it lightly!) and to replace him they targeted a guy who, even under the most charitable interpretations, is passable at that stuff at best? It just seemed like way too huge of a culture shock to the organization and that they tried to justify it by saying "oh well we'll bring Yadi into spring training and also put him in Willson's speed dial so he can pick up all the secret tips" was just asinine. Contreras isn't some rookie ready to be molded into Molina like silly putty: he's a 31 year old veteran who's been in the league for almost eight seasons and has a very established game by this point.

Timby posted:

This is true to an extent, but Contreras' hitting isn't completely dependent upon bat speed like Javy's is. As we've seen, as Javy has gotten older and lost just a little bit of velocity to his swing, his offensive output cratered. Contreras seems to be rebounding a bit, at least, but I think he's been the victim of what seems like a pretty toxic and petty organization.

Yeah I was really just talking about how both their performances are currently and have historically been pretty easily related to morale at any given time. They need that energy to thrive. But yes Javy also has huge bat speed reliance that made me personally super wary of signing him into his 30's and so far those seem to have born out, unfortunately.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is "dirty" craig kimbrel a hall of famer?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

He's got more saves than Dennis Eckersley

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think so. As long as he manages to stick around as a closer for another year or two he should move into 4th overall in career saves and he absolutely has the peak for a HoF closer, if not quite the career WAR total thanks to things getting rocky in his 30's.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Lol. Thank you. I thought it would be fun to revisit and it was fun. For me anyway

Thank you for revisiting it, you're a very funny writer and I like reading about your baseball thoughts. I can even forgive you for being a Cardinals fan. At least we're both suffering together this year.

Definitely willing to back up the theory that the Cards FO's inexplicable, nonsensical smear campaign against their big offseason acquisition has had something to do with his subpar performance. It certainly seems like it can't be a coincidence that Contreras, who was beloved by Cubsposters, comes to the Cardinals and is almost immediately rear end. The Cubs FO doesn't strike me as savvy enough to be shelling teams with pieces on the verge of collapse, at least based on (again) the Cubsposters' statements about how the Cubs FO is trading away everything of remote value for basically no good reason.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 12, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs-Contreras situation was really weird. He was a beloved team darling for many years, then in mid-season 2021 there started to be rumblings about the FO not being happy with him that just so happened to surface right around when Contreras publicly called out what he felt was a lack of effort in the clubhouse to the media just prior to the fire sale of the core. The Cubs then aggressively shopped him in 2022 and, failing to move him at the deadline, proceeded to absolutely trash him publicly as having none of the soft skills valued at his position to the point that they considered Tucker fuckin' Barnhart an upgrade. Then Contreras started talking publicly about how he was dreaming of being a Cardinal while still being a Cub and how his old org sucked and it just became this huge petty slapfight that made nobody look good, the Cubs FO least of all.

It's clear that at some point Contreras had a falling out with Cubs management, I'm just not sure if it was specifically the incident in 2021 or if things had been simmering under the surface for a while that that was just the incident that caused everything to boil over. There was certainly no public indication prior to 2021 that the Cubs were unhappy with how Contreras worked with pitchers. Yeah Darvish kinda bounced off him and ended up partnering with Caratini instead, but on the other hand Hendricks constantly praised Willson's game calling and had him as a more or less personal catcher 2017-2021 during which he was a bonafide ace 4/5 years.

Anyway I sincerely hope that Contreras goes on to have a phenomenal career and has lots of success against every other team but the Cubs, and that his success ends up being a non-factor in the Cardinals greater WS aspirations and they flame out year after year despite pristine effort from him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

No. Because of the arm thing. Unforgivable bullshit.

This Alabama baseball betting scandal is absolutely nuts:
https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1678504272508469251

quote:

Three people familiar with the investigation told Sports Illustrated that Neff wanted to bet more than $100,000 on a college baseball game that night: Alabama at No. 1 LSU. The game had gotten virtually no gambling traffic, and Neff’s desired bets on the Tigers far exceeded the sportsbook’s established house limit on college baseball. It was a foolhardy act that created a surreal scene, and the ripple effects from that incident continue to be felt more than a month later.

Fueled by hubris and, perhaps, desperation, Neff – an obscure youth-league coach from Mooresville, Ind., with a penchant for networking in recruiting circles—stood at the window and pleaded his case for making the huge wager to the book’s staff, the sources say. He indicated that he had inside information on the game—and he did, in the palm of his hand.

Neff was texting with Alabama baseball coach Brad Bohannon via the encrypted messaging app Signal while at the betting window, attempting to place the wager, the sources say. His texting was indiscreet, to the point that the book’s video surveillance cameras were able to zoom in on the details of Neff and Bohannon’s text exchange, making Bohannon’s name visible later in screenshots.

“[Video cameras] can see the [text] conversation back-and-forth,” a source familiar with the incident says. “It couldn’t have been any more reckless.”

The inside information that Neff had received: Alabama was scratching its ace starting pitcher for the game, Luke Holman, due to back tightness. He was being replaced by Hagan Banks, who hadn’t started a game since mid-March.

Bohannon was not an unwitting pawn, the sources say. The Crimson Tide coach was aware that Neff was placing the bets on LSU and against his team, they say. It’s unclear whether Bohannon was himself wagering on the game through Neff, but Bohannon knew what was transpiring. One of the people familiar with the investigation says Bohannon was part of an ongoing text chain with Neff and his gambling associates.

Also he tried to place these bets at the MGM sportsbook at the Great American Ballpark

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1679150138751844352

lol right fit