Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He made the only good season of Enterprise, and for that he'll have my eternal respect. What a lovely way to go though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Family is one of the best Star Trek episodes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At least the Borg going to sleep & self-destructing was, in spirit, a very Trek way to resolve the conflict. As opposed to them finding a magic weapon or something. A hard sell as a resolution to the best cliffhanger of all time, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I always thought the Picard recovery operation was cool

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

zoux posted:

I always thought the Picard recovery operation was cool

Miles O'Brien there to pull the three of them out of that shuttle mid-explosion.

Without which, the Cube doesn't get stopped later on (with him assisting in that, too), and the Federation probably gets wiped out over the course of a few years.

Just one more reason of many that he qualified for Most Important Person in Starfleet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No Dignity posted:

He made the only good season of Enterprise, and for that he'll have my eternal respect. What a lovely way to go though :(

I don't think he had much say in that final episode though?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This morning I watched Trials and Tribble-ations and Far Beyond the Stars.

Trials is a super-fun episode. I love all the attention to detail they put into duplicating the aesthetics of TOS, like the door and tricorder sounds, the corridors, the lighting, even the choice of lens and film stock. And to me, the insertion of the DS9 cast into the Trouble With Tribbles shots looks great.

Far Beyond the Stars is another of my favorite Trek episodes of all, and IMO it’s Avery Brooks’ finest performance ever. What a powerful episode.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Aoi posted:

Without which, the Cube doesn't get stopped later on (with him assisting in that, too), and the Federation probably gets wiped out over the course of a few years.

THE BORG IS EVERYWHERE

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 11, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MrMojok posted:

This morning I watched Trials and Tribble-ations and Far Beyond the Stars.

Trials is a super-fun episode. I love all the attention to detail they put into duplicating the aesthetics of TOS, like the door and tricorder sounds, the corridors, the lighting, even the choice of lens and film stock. And to me, the insertion of the DS9 cast into the Trouble With Tribbles shots looks great.

Far Beyond the Stars is another of my favorite Trek episodes of all, and IMO it’s Avery Brooks’ finest performance ever. What a powerful episode.

i think "trials" would be a good candidate for a trial balloon remaster. obviously, a lot of the shots (but not all, they did rebuild some sets too) of the DS9 crew were composited into footage from TOS, which we already know looks great in HD, and you can tell; it's kind of obvious if you know what to look for. but there's been a lot of advancements in compositing and color-correction techniques since the mid '90s, it could look better. it's a delightful episode that builds on a mostly beloved one, so it'd probably even sell pretty well. make it happen paramount

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FuturePastNow posted:

THE BORG IS EVERYWHERE

You have to get down on your knees to use those control panels.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

FuturePastNow posted:

THE BORG IS EVERYWHERE

I don’t want to live in a timeline where the bolian barber didn’t make it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I hope I’m not getting too annoying with my constant blathering about what episode I just watched.

But in further blathering, and my quest to watch some of the greatest Trek episodes, as well as my newfound appreciation for the Ferengi, I just watched… The Magnificent Ferengi.

And this one was LOL-funny all the way through.

Early on is the scene where Quark and Rom are crawling through the access shafts, and mistakenly emerge in Sisko’s private quarters.

Their two gigantic-eared heads popping out of the hatch together and spotting Sisko, who gives them a withering look and says “May I help you, gentlemen?” was :roflolmao:

There are so many fantastic moments in this one, but another favorite of mine was:

Brunt: A child… a moron… a failure… and a psychopath. Quite a little team you've put together!

Quark: What do you want, Brunt?

Brunt: I'm here to sign up!

I now find myself firmly in the Ferengi Are Awesome camp, and I need to find a list of best Ferengi-centric episodes and work my way through it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I hope I’m not getting too annoying with my constant blathering about what episode I just watched.

But in further blathering, and my quest to watch some of the greatest Trek episodes, as well as my newfound appreciation for the Ferengi, I just watched… The Magnificent Ferengi.

And this one was LOL-funny all the way through.

Early on is the scene where Quark and Rom are crawling through the access shafts, and mistakenly emerge in Sisko’s private quarters.

Their two gigantic-eared heads popping out of the hatch together and spotting Sisko, who gives them a withering look and says “May I help you, gentlemen?” was :roflolmao:

There are so many fantastic moments in this one, but another favorite of mine was:

Brunt: A child… a moron… a failure… and a psychopath. Quite a little team you've put together!

Quark: What do you want, Brunt?

Brunt: I'm here to sign up!

I now find myself firmly in the Ferengi Are Awesome camp, and I need to find a list of best Ferengi-centric episodes and work my way through it.

Please, continue with the updates.

Also, the only way you're going to see all the ferengi content? A complete watch through

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Ferengi's tendency to cry out with a high pitched whine when injured or upset initially annoyed me until I realised that it makes perfect sense given their people have insanely acute hearing - in an emergency the most direct way to get the information out is to utilise the most powerful sense, in their case their sense of sound. It's just how Gayla alerts the others to the fact that he's hosed up so that they can fix it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Screaming is hardly unique to Ferengi.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

thotsky posted:

Screaming is hardly unique to Ferengi.

Yeah, but it's how they use it. It feels more deliberate in how it's applied, like a siren more than just a human's much less consistent methods of screaming, because it's a long modulated wail that not only comes when injured but when major setbacks happen too.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Wailing.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, but it's how they use it. It feels more deliberate in how it's applied, like a siren more than just a human's much less consistent methods of screaming, because it's a long modulated wail that not only comes when injured but when major setbacks happen too.

For real, in this episode one of them started screaming offscreen (because he fell asleep and let their prisoner escape) and at first I thought it was either some kind of bizarre alarm klaxon, or perhaps a shrieking bird.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Also, the only way you're going to see all the ferengi content? A complete watch through

This is the correct answer. There's so much excellent ferengi content sprinkled throughout DS9. Just watching the Ferengi specific episodes will have you missing the root beer speech, or Quark teaching a Vulcan about logic.

Or there's "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" which finally demonstrates how Ferengi culture can function as a cooperative society.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 12, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Awe that really sucks. I was happy when he seemed to turn ENT around, though of course he didn't get very long with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

THE BORG IS EVERYWHERE

This is probably the most hosed up scene in TNG history, I can remember watching this episode when it was current and there's so much story in just that 20 second scene, it's so evocative. And really what it is is that we know Will Riker and we know what it would have to be like for him to try and kill fellow starfleet officers to avoid doing the right thing. It's something that's always stuck with me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always wondered what would have happened if they beamed those guys over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

This is probably the most hosed up scene in TNG history, I can remember watching this episode when it was current and there's so much story in just that 20 second scene, it's so evocative. And really what it is is that we know Will Riker and we know what it would have to be like for him to try and kill fellow starfleet officers to avoid doing the right thing. It's something that's always stuck with me.

Hell, even for Wesley. Riker tells him to fire one torpedo to disable them, only that Enterprise is so badly damaged that the single torpedo destroys it instead, so Wes just accidentally killed who knows how many otherwise innocent people. That's gonna be a mortifying thought too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

I've always wondered what would have happened if they beamed those guys over.

Well time turned back at the end of the episode so :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell, even for Wesley. Riker tells him to fire one torpedo to disable them, only that Enterprise is so badly damaged that the single torpedo destroys it instead, so Wes just accidentally killed who knows how many otherwise innocent people. That's gonna be a mortifying thought too.

Oh that reminds me of another TNG moment that hosed me up, it's Riker ordering Wesley to kamikaze strike the Borg cube at high warp and he's half way through "engage" when Data is like "stand by". I imagine that kept Wes up at night.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

zoux posted:

I imagine that kept Wes up through all of space and time.

:hmmyes:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Mods, I’d like to report a dangerous amount of empathy for Wesley Crusher in this thread.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Decompress Wesley's quarters.

No reason.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Tea, Wesley, Decompressed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1679272596271923201?s=20

Oh Harry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Janeway just going "Biiiiiiitch, please" with her body language :newlol:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

holefoods posted:

I don’t want to live in a timeline where the bolian barber didn’t make it

I was always disappointed that they showed that Bolian women had hair.

Why?

Before, the idea that Mott was a good barber was funny. He was obsessed with hair when he came from a world where it didn't exist. Something so funny about that.

Now we know that he just learned to cut hair because it was a good way to meet women.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

As a bald I had honestly never thought about it

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Lowen SoDium posted:

I was always disappointed that they showed that Bolian women had hair.

Why?

Before, the idea that Mott was a good barber was funny. He was obsessed with hair when he came from a world where it didn't exist. Something so funny about that.

Now we know that he just learned to cut hair because it was a good way to meet women.

Ok, then let's make it funnier. They were probably wigs, because the entire culture is now desperately obsessed with hairstyling after joining the galactic stage and seeing all of the cool hairdos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Janeway going absolutely apeshit on Harry after he contracts the sparkly space clap is a top ten Voyager moment

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I always found this kind of funny because what difference would it have made had he been promoted, other than a boost to his self-esteem? They're stuck in the Delta Quadrant so it's not like they have regular crew rotations. What extra authority or responsibilities would he have gained that he didn't already have as part of the senior bridge crew? Who could he order around now that he couldn't before? It seemed like he was always in the Captain's position in the Night Crew for instance, and could order the other ensigns around when the show remembered they existed.

Whether you see this as an argument for or against Harry's promotion I'll leave up to you. :v:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
through s4 of voyager and most of the way through 5 now and it's been fairly consistently watchable- some dull episodes but nothing too grating, a marked improvement on 3 and better than 1+2

there's a major decrease in the amount of technobabble being thrown about both as conversation filler and as solve the shite plot from whatever hole they wrote themselves into which has been nice, and the plots just seem a bit tighter/more thoughtful and more relevant to "we are traveling to go home" rather than "how can we make this tng reject script fit"- seems to coincide with nick sagan showing a bunch on the writing credits but that might just be me

No Dignity posted:

seconding both, I would be posting more if there was much to remark on other than "the best seasons of voyager don't make me want to poke my eyes out"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I always found this kind of funny because what difference would it have made had he been promoted, other than a boost to his self-esteem? They're stuck in the Delta Quadrant so it's not like they have regular crew rotations. What extra authority or responsibilities would he have gained that he didn't already have as part of the senior bridge crew? Who could he order around now that he couldn't before? It seemed like he was always in the Captain's position in the Night Crew for instance, and could order the other ensigns around when the show remembered they existed.

Whether you see this as an argument for or against Harry's promotion I'll leave up to you. :v:

Well how would you feel if you saw dipshit Tom Paris get promoted, demoted, and then re-promoted right in front of you.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I'm doing my first full watch on TNG (only really ever been a strict TOS/first six movies Trekkie) and I'm doing the thing multiple people always told me not to do; starting from season 1. Uh, kind of loving it so far?

Sure, you have stuff like Code of Honor, Angel One or the one with the Bynars (which all feel very much like what I suppose Star Trek looks like to somebody who doesn't like Star Trek), but it all feels so inviting and warm! And gosh darn it, I like Wesley and his big dumb grin. It's interesting seeing Patrick Stewart looking quite awkward and uncomfortable in a couple of the episodes, delivering some very mechanical line readings at times. I'm assuming he had trouble finding his feet to begin with? Meanwhile Brent Spiner just sort of rolls out fully formed as the standout, I guess?

Just got through the episode with the negotiator fella who turns up at the start wearing old age makeup that somehow looks even more wonky than what they did in the 60s and sat there grinning like "Oh, he's definitely going to get young somehow". That was very silly, but also quite fun!

MuddyFunster fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You're going to be in the middle of season 3 and it'll hit you why people think s1 is weak. I do agree that people exaggerate how bad it is, I recently did a full rewatch for the first time since Netflix was a DVD in the mail company and I was like, you know, this isn't nearly as bad as I remember.

It's funny that you mention the old man makeup because I am doing the opposite thing of you and watching TOS for the first time all the way through and I thought the old age makeup in The Deadly Years, which used way less prosthetics than Too Short a Season and relied on shadow and contouring instead, looked much better.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 13, 2023