Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's the thing, it's mostly grody old guys who are the repositories of actual knowledge about poo poo while reddit is just riddled with poseurs. I genuinely question people who claim to learn poo poo from reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Heath posted:

That's the thing, it's mostly grody old guys who are the repositories of actual knowledge about poo poo while reddit is just riddled with poseurs. I genuinely question people who claim to learn poo poo from reddit.

it's a good place to read up on new hobbies but you have to dip before you buy into the gatekeeping bullshit that infests every sub

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

redshirt posted:

So what sword would be the best???

The Dragonslayer, obviously. So what if it weighs 450 pounds? A dedicated wielder'll figure it out!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

when I was loving around trying to get an rss reader to work with the forums I found out that youtube's notifications menu works as an rss reader, every channel's actually just an atom feed that can be aggregated

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 11, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

MonkeyHate posted:

I went to reddit for the local city sub and for machining subs but the city one is all wretched with politics and the machining subs are heavy on modern cnc gear where guys mostly have the exact same discussion about the best way to push the one button they have on their machine over and over.

Thankfully I found there are still old school manual machining bulletin boards where they make you fill out an application and list your equipment before they let you in.

I joined a couple and it’s awesome. Full of old school grognards who have really very strong opinions about stuff like lantern-style toolposts of the 1930s. Fools are not suffered, but everyone is otherwise helpful and supportive of each other and the depth of lost and forbidden knowledge they are willing to share with those who are not afraid to learn is unfathomable.

It’s like the same level of collectivized industrial autism that brought man to the moon but for you to use in your own gross basement.

Kinda jealous

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
There’s like one weird niche thing I’m accidentally an expert on. A family friend is the man who ran a huge project to revitalize a tourist attraction. A tourist attraction that gets criticized by locals for being designed the way it is.

Here’s the thing - it was designed by a huge team of professionals who do this for a living. People with phds in urban planning who now run research centers and head up architecture, urban planning and real estate colleges. It was a big prestige project and there were no shortage of experts who wanted to donate their time. Every decision was agonized over and empirically tested whenever possible.

For a while, when reddit people started up with their complaining I’d try to reply with the reasons things had to be the way they are and I’d get downvoted to oblivion. Meanwhile every know-nothing in the city would post the exact same “suggestion” for how to “fix” things, which is a thing that science says won’t work. Which is a thing that was tried like 15 years ago due to public pressure and sure enough it was a disaster.

I have access to studies to show all this and yet nobody there will hear it. A primary source for how and why these choices were made. No interest in that. Vote it down to the bottom. Instead, the upvoted comments are just a bunch of confident idiots racing to pat each other on the back for repeating the same ignorant poo poo. I stopped trying long ago.

Anyhoo I suspect most any specialized-knowledge topic you could imagine has the same problem so gently caress that place in the shitter.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Reddit is here! It's behind you!

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

MonkeyHate posted:

Thankfully I found there are still old school manual machining bulletin boards where they make you fill out an application and list your equipment before they let you in.

I joined a couple and it’s awesome. Full of old school grognards who have really very strong opinions about stuff like lantern-style toolposts of the 1930s. Fools are not suffered, but everyone is otherwise helpful and supportive of each other and the depth of lost and forbidden knowledge they are willing to share with those who are not afraid to learn is unfathomable.

It’s like the same level of collectivized industrial autism that brought man to the moon but for you to use in your own gross basement.

so like, the opposite of a car forum

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonkeyHate posted:

There’s like one weird niche thing I’m accidentally an expert on. A family friend is the man who ran a huge project to revitalize a tourist attraction. A tourist attraction that gets criticized by locals for being designed the way it is.

Here’s the thing - it was designed by a huge team of professionals who do this for a living. People with phds in urban planning who now run research centers and head up architecture, urban planning and real estate colleges. It was a big prestige project and there were no shortage of experts who wanted to donate their time. Every decision was agonized over and empirically tested whenever possible.

For a while, when reddit people started up with their complaining I’d try to reply with the reasons things had to be the way they are and I’d get downvoted to oblivion. Meanwhile every know-nothing in the city would post the exact same “suggestion” for how to “fix” things, which is a thing that science says won’t work. Which is a thing that was tried like 15 years ago due to public pressure and sure enough it was a disaster.

I have access to studies to show all this and yet nobody there will hear it. A primary source for how and why these choices were made. No interest in that. Vote it down to the bottom. Instead, the upvoted comments are just a bunch of confident idiots racing to pat each other on the back for repeating the same ignorant poo poo. I stopped trying long ago.

Anyhoo I suspect most any specialized-knowledge topic you could imagine has the same problem so gently caress that place in the shitter.

Sorry man fastpass still sucks

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MonkeyHate posted:

I went to reddit for the local city sub and for machining subs but the city one is all wretched with politics and the machining subs are heavy on modern cnc gear where guys mostly have the exact same discussion about the best way to push the one button they have on their machine over and over.

I see you're posting on OWWM and vintagemachinery.org with my dad.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MonkeyHate posted:

the project in question?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bad Purchase posted:

the project in question?

I would do better by not making it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

the project in question?

Why does it say loo?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It clearly says "lars"

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

the project in question?

Ahh yes, a swamp with a tube

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOXO

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Heath posted:

as someone who's read record collecting/"crate diggin" forums for many years and once looked at the reddit equivalents of this I completely agree. it was 100% 19 year olds looking for rinked copies of Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and the same 40 other records, over and over, forever. like not just new to the hobby, which is fine, everyone starts somewhere, but literally missing the point of being into obscure physical media. just no curiosity or knowledge about music itself

if you're trying to learn about something other than like gamefaqs type info about a game released less than six months ago, I wouldn't trust reddit with poo poo.

any obscure field of knowledge that has weirdos who've done it their whole lives, i just don't think many of those types of people are climbing the reddit clout rungs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

as someone who's read record collecting/"crate diggin" forums for many years and once looked at the reddit equivalents of this I completely agree. it was 100% 19 year olds looking for rinked copies of Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and the same 40 other records, over and over, forever. like not just new to the hobby, which is fine, everyone starts somewhere, but literally missing the point of being into obscure physical media. just no curiosity or knowledge about music itself

if you're trying to learn about something other than like gamefaqs type info about a game released less than six months ago, I wouldn't trust reddit with poo poo.

any obscure field of knowledge that has weirdos who've done it their whole lives, i just don't think many of those types of people are climbing the reddit clout rungs

The upvote system is actually poisonous. Like actually, really, no-poo poo undermines the very loving concept of good faith or even interested discussion.

Edit: just for curiosity's sake, what do you mean by "rinked?"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

the project in question?

Loro is a great movie, absolute RIP Berlusconi

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Heath posted:

The upvote system is actually poisonous. Like actually, really, no-poo poo undermines the very loving concept of good faith or even interested discussion.

Yes. Even if you’re not consciously doing it you end up just signing on to a sub’s groupthink so you don’t get downvoted. If people used the buttons just to reward good or punish bad posting it would be one thing but they’re very clearly “agree” and “disagree” buttons.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yes. Even if you’re not consciously doing it you end up just signing on to a sub’s groupthink so you don’t get downvoted. If people used the buttons just to reward good or punish bad posting it would be one thing but they’re very clearly “agree” and “disagree” buttons.

That's the correct way to use the buttons. It's also why the buttons are bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like how if you reply to someone it counts as an upvote, so even replying to someone to point out that they're wrong pushes their post further up the ladder of visibility, and any comment that provokes replies ("engagement") gets rewarded.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Heath posted:

Edit: just for curiosity's sake, what do you mean by "rinked?"

like an ice rink. scratched to hell

to be fair that's not really a fair judgement, i was implying they didn't know how to tell if a record would sound good or not, and didn't care, but sometimes you buy something thrashed and promise yourself you'll find a nicer copy one day.

the point is mainly just that they're all teaching each other nothing and they all want rumours and aja and poo poo that you'd never get much benefit owning even if you were specifically into it, because it's always going to be reissued and streaming etc. till the end of time

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 11, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
When I use reddit I don't upvote anyone but I downvote ever post I wish wasn't there and that's most of them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the Reddit owners admitted they fake upvote counts to “deter bots” so outside of small communities I would bet there’s a lot of algorithm fuckery going on

if the system works “honestly” the success of your posts is totally dependent on the opinion of the first few people to see it

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 11, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's been over a decade and nobody uses the upvote/downvote system the way it's intended, the behavioral disconnect is obvious, and they haven't done anything to fix it or even really acknowledge that there's a problem

their solution is just to have communities emphasize the rules in the sidebar and in automod messages, i'm sure that will right the ship, any day now. it's not the system's fault, it's the dang users you guys!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Reddit for popular topics are fan forums. If you really want discussion, its best to find the daily/weekly question threads where you get actual answers.

Like the farming subreddits are a healthy mix of beginners, memes, and people who know. But its rare out of most subreddits. I've learned a lot about chickens while having 0 interest in raising them.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

it's been over a decade and nobody uses the upvote/downvote system the way it's intended, the behavioral disconnect is obvious, and they haven't done anything to fix it or even really acknowledge that there's a problem

their solution is just to have communities emphasize the rules in the sidebar and in automod messages, i'm sure that will right the ship, any day now. it's not the system's fault, it's the dang users you guys!

I like the subreddits that think if you get a link into the page you aren't allowed to up/down vote but then the button works just fine

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

like an ice rink. scratched to hell

to be fair that's not really a fair judgement, i was implying they didn't know how to tell if a record would sound good or not, and didn't care, but sometimes you buy something thrashed and promise yourself you'll find a nicer copy one day.

the point is mainly just that they're all teaching each other nothing and they all want rumours and aja and poo poo that you'd never get much benefit owning even if you were specifically into it, because it's always going to be reissued and streaming etc. till the end of time

Is that why Aja is so loving expensive all of a sudden? I was looking for a copy recently and I couldn't find one below $30

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Bad Purchase posted:

We've tried nothing and are all out of ideas.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oh jay posted:

Why does it say loo?

lap, like forum favorite literally a person

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Heath posted:

Is that why Aja is so loving expensive all of a sudden? I was looking for a copy recently and I couldn't find one below $30

Stupid people jumping on the vinyl bandwagon not realizing that stuff that is popular has millions of copies out there and are willing to pay that price. Honestly I'd just keep my eyes open for a Santa Maria copy for cheap eventually or if you are desperate for one pluck down the money for the recent UHQR. You will pay a frankly obscene premium for it but I can't imagine anyone will do a better pressing of it ever again.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
aja is also a weird case as guys who install their own private mains transformers to their house to get better quality electricity for their colossal audiophile bass tomb (surprise!) are also not actually into music and love to test their new $30K cabling with aja because they can't think of any other music to put on

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What the gently caress is aja

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big black turnout posted:

Ja worship sect.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

big black turnout posted:

A album by the 70s rock band "Steely Dan". It is generally considered one of the best recorded records of all time so a lot of audiophiles like to test their equipment with it. People getting into vinyl like to get it for that same reason.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you're cool you get The Nightfly instead

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just blue tooth stream an mp3 of it sounds fine

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bip Roberts posted:

I just blue tooth stream an mp3 of it sounds fine

I can't find the down vote button!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Djarum posted:

A album by the 70s rock band "Steely Dan". It is generally considered one of the best recorded records of all time so a lot of audiophiles like to test their equipment with it. People getting into vinyl like to get it for that same reason.

Oh that makes sense I never really got into them. Cheers