Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's vulvas all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Is there anything worth it in atomic heart or is it just a standard not-shooter.

I'm trying it on gamepass and so far my main weapon is an axe and I don't like it. Do I get more guns and ammo later or am I always gonna be relying on the axe due to ammo scarcity?

It's pretty to look at but so far it just feels like a bioshock-alike. With unfunny banter and characters and vulvas everywhere. Plus it's mostly checkpoints which Im not a fan of.

So what I'm saying is does the story get good and pay off or is this just not for me? I can sit through all the poo poo if the story is really good

haven't seen any chatter about the story, just the ballerinas

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Steam Thread: it's vulvas all the way down

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's also the horny fridge.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jack Trades posted:

There's also the horny fridge.

I take it back, this is my thread title nomination.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It is a spicy chicken game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
According to achievements, only 11% of Dave the diver players have fed the cat enough. Shameful. Disgraceful.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Det_no posted:

According to achievements, only 11% of Dave the diver players have fed the cat enough. Shameful. Disgraceful.

I hardly go to the restaurant during the day so managed to completely miss that there was a cat there. Thank you for bringing this oversight to my attention. Also explains the cat food I've been finding; was wondering what the hell Bancho was going to end up making with it

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for chiming in everyone; ended up cutting RE8, Kena and Beat Hazard (I never end up playing these 'use your own music' games) and threw in Slay the Spire. Played it a bit on Game Pass, bounced off, but wanted to give it another try.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

If nothing else Slay the Spire has an absolutely wild modding community. I only went up to like ascension 2 on the main 4 characters in core StS but I've sunk another couple hundred hours into mods.

Like its so moddable that one of the mods I played last week had a full painting program built into the mod to paint your own card art mid-run.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So does every musou game on Steam kind of suck? I used to love Dynasty Warriors games but it seems the only things available are the bad new ones, crappy PC ports of the old ones, and anime ones I'm not interested in.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Objective Action posted:

If nothing else Slay the Spire has an absolutely wild modding community. I only went up to like ascension 2 on the main 4 characters in core StS but I've sunk another couple hundred hours into mods.

Like its so moddable that one of the mods I played last week had a full painting program built into the mod to paint your own card art mid-run.

It even has a semi-official expansion on Steam. Downfall loads from a completely different executable even
https://store.steampowered.com/app/...3QtToUAnk2_3Vsp

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So does every musou game on Steam kind of suck? I used to love Dynasty Warriors games but it seems the only things available are the bad new ones, crappy PC ports of the old ones, and anime ones I'm not interested in.

Yeah the anime warriors games are the ones with decent gameplay and the rest are trash.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Weedle posted:

what is this poo poo. where's the quake 1 sequel

If it makes you feel any better we're most likely getting a Quake 2 remaster in a few month.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah the anime warriors games are the ones with decent gameplay and the rest are trash.

Which one specifically should you get if you want to try out those kinds of games and don't care too much if they're anime.

I've just always been curious about these games but couldn't deal with Dynasty Warriors 8's jank PC port.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Phigs posted:

Which one specifically should you get if you want to try out those kinds of games and don't care too much if they're anime.

I've just always been curious about these games but couldn't deal with Dynasty Warriors 8's jank PC port.

As somebody who intensely doesn't give a crap about One Piece, Pirate Warriors 4 was the single best Musou experience I've ever had.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pirate Warriors 3&4, the One Piece ones, are well regarded.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so uh can anyone lay out for me what the gameplay is actually like in Stranger of Paradise? i haven't paid any attention to it at all since the limp bizkit thing but people have been talking it up enough in here that i'm curious

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Phigs posted:

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 is the one I got and its more warriors gameplay than I'll ever need, and is also 4 dollars on the sale right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

so uh can anyone lay out for me what the gameplay is actually like in Stranger of Paradise? i haven't paid any attention to it at all since the limp bizkit thing but people have been talking it up enough in here that i'm curious

It’s basically a Final Fantasy take on the Soulsborne genre by the team behind the Ni-Oh games. Though, I found it a lot more fun that my, admittedly brief time with Ni-Oh. The progression tree constantly pushes you towards new jobs and you can switch between two at one time. It’s really fun. Levels aren’t very long. There’s a few different difficulty levels.

The story is also genuinely good. Despite the “gently caress CHAOS” memes from the marketing, Jack is genuinely likeable and he’s got a lot of parallels to another hero turned villain named Jack from another popular long running video game franchise.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Resdfru posted:

It's pretty to look at but so far it just feels like a bioshock-alike. With unfunny banter and characters and vulvas everywhere. Plus it's mostly checkpoints which Im not a fan of.

This is precisely what it is. Ammo scarcity is relieved later on*, but Bioshock-alike woth unfunny banter is the core gameplay loop.

*deconstructing is 100% efficient so you can always pull apart anmo and loot to make the ammo type you want without losing anything.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

If it makes you feel any better we're most likely getting a Quake 2 remaster in a few month.

it doesn’t! quake 2 sux!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

It’s basically a Final Fantasy take on the Soulsborne genre by the team behind the Ni-Oh games. Though, I found it a lot more fun that my, admittedly brief time with Ni-Oh. The progression tree constantly pushes you towards new jobs and you can switch between two at one time. It’s really fun. Levels aren’t very long. There’s a few different difficulty levels.

The story is also genuinely good. Despite the “gently caress CHAOS” memes from the marketing, Jack is genuinely likeable and he’s got a lot of parallels to another hero turned villain named Jack from another popular long running video game franchise.
if it's the Nioh team i'm guessing the game loving drowns the player in loot, right? nowadays sifting through a pile of gear makes me want to just turn the drat game off. never did finish wo long, for example - I just didn't want to deal with character/gear loadouts

weirdly specific dislike, i know

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ciaphas posted:

if it's the Nioh team i'm guessing the game loving drowns the player in loot, right? nowadays sifting through a pile of gear makes me want to just turn the drat game off. never did finish wo long, for example - I just didn't want to deal with character/gear loadouts

weirdly specific dislike, i know

It does have loot, yeah. There's a very good "auto-equip" which specs by classes and the party members if that helps.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

claw game handjob posted:

It does have loot, yeah. There's a very good "auto-equip" which specs by classes and the party members if that helps.
that helps a lot actually :v: suppose i'll give it a shot

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Wish more games treated gear like dress-up instead of stats explosion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kazil posted:

amen

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was thinking about Frankenstein OR The Modern Prometheus

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

To be fair most of SoP's outfits are pretty hilarious. The game's deadpan silliness does a lot of work selling the story.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, the auto-equip is a godsend. I never had to worry about micromanaging my load out.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

kazil posted:

One of the things I liked very much about Bloodborne: felt like all of the armor was pretty much the same so you could just focus on style and being dapper as heck. In fact, I think most of the Souls games are kind of like this: most of the fights are down to just blocking/dodging skill, and the amount of extra hits you can take with armor feels very negligible at times unless you go all-in extreme on it, so feels like you can just ignore it (which most people do, judging from all the loincloth cavemen speedrunners).

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh yeah, the auto-equip is a godsend. I never had to worry about micromanaging my load out.

Is there a point in SoP where the auto-equip or just equipping the highest numbers starts to become detrimental? I imagine it's one of those typical games where you can ignore gear until you hit the post-game which expects you to utilize gear to enhance your build, but perhaps SoP goes against the grain and demands it earlier? Just curious.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 12, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FutureCop posted:

One of the things I liked very much about Bloodborne: felt like all of the armor was pretty much the same so you could just focus on style and being dapper as heck. In fact, I think most of the Souls games are kind of like this: most of the fights are down to just blocking/dodging skill, and the amount of extra hits you can take with armor feels very negligible at times unless you go all-in extreme on it, so feels like you can just ignore it (which most people do, judging from all the loincloth cavemen speedrunners).

Is there a point in SoP where the auto-equip or just equipping the highest numbers starts to become detrimental? I imagine it's one of those typical games where you can ignore gear until you hit the post-game which expects you to utilize gear to enhance your build, but perhaps SoP goes against the grain and demands it earlier? Just curious.

You can keep slamming auto optimize through the entirety of NG on hard difficulty and continue to do so through the NG+ CHAOS difficulty. the NG++ BAHAMUT difficulty is the point where the game expects you to actually look at stats.

it's a good idea to go to the auto dismantle settings in the options every couple missions and bump up the item level of gear to be marked for auto dismantle. just do that, hit auto optimize once or twice a mission and you can ignore gear for a good 30 hours.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 12, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kazil posted:

But I go nude everywhere

EDIT: Or in one of those medieval diapers at MOST

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kazil posted:

It's more fun when you have to make a tradeoff between looking like a clown or having valuable gear imo

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Owl Inspector posted:

You can keep slamming auto optimize through the entirety of NG on hard difficulty and continue to do so through the NG+ CHAOS difficulty. the NG++ BAHAMUT difficulty is the point where the game expects you to actually look at stats.

it's a good idea to go to the auto dismantle settings in the options every couple missions and bump up the item level of gear to be marked for auto dismantle. just do that, hit auto optimize once or twice a mission and you can ignore gear for a good 30 hours.

Good to know: more generous than I thought, mayhaps a bit too generous, but hey, I usually like being able to ignore all the bizarre gear stats (great, I get 2% more chance for ignite to proc if it's a full moon and the enemy is electric element...wait, this isn't even a fire weapon!)

While we're at this, was curious if anyone had some opinions on some of my odder choices for potential Summer Sale games:

Rabi-Ribi: I like the idea of crazy boss fights, but I'm worried about the anime cringe quotient and I feel like dealing with bullet-hell patterns while being stuck on the ground might be very frustrating?
Tower of Time: I like the idea of a more fast-paced combat-heavy light-story RTWP CRPG, but I'm wondering if it loses too much as it seems a bit lackluster in some aspects, and maybe I should just get something like PoE2.
CRYPTARK: Seems fun going into raid ships and dealing with their security systems in certain orders: just curious whether it has enough variety/progression/gamefeel/etc to last.
Miasmata: Just came off of Amnesia The Bunker and remembered this. I like the idea of landmarking and having to watch your footing like Death Stranding and such, but wondering if it gets a bit tedious or boring or is outdated.
Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection: Wondering whether this is a good port, and curious whether someone has a better recommendation for a Mega Man Zero-ish game instead.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 12, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Weedle posted:

it doesn’t! quake 2 sux!!!

Yeah quake 2 is the worst id game imo. What I'd like to see is a quake 1 reimagined to its original crazy rear end ideas.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FutureCop posted:

While we're at this, was curious if anyone had some opinions on some of my odder choices for potential Summer Sale games:

Tower of Time: I like the idea of a more fast-paced combat-heavy light-story RTWP CRPG, but I'm wondering if it loses too much as it seems a bit lackluster in some aspects, and maybe I should just get something like PoE2.
Skip it. Combat in Tower of Time is the opposite of fast-paced--every battle is a wave/tower-defense-lite slog that takes several minutes to get through, even if your dudes are unstoppable juggernauts, and the game loves to throw stupid gimmick battles at you for no reason. The story is also actively bad and nonsensical, to the point where it starts to drag down the game and make you wonder why you're bothering. I made it about a quarter of the way in and gave up.

EDIT: If you need more details on just how bad the story is, there's a currently-running LP of it that rips it to shreds.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 12, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Started the system shock remake and while I'm embarrassed to say I actually bothered to look for the first keypad code instead of just mashing 451, I did eat enough snacks on floor 1 to get an achievement called Look At You, Snacker so I think I'm doing it right

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FutureCop posted:

Rabi-Ribi: I like the idea of crazy boss fights, but I'm worried about the anime cringe quotient and I feel like dealing with bullet-hell patterns while being stuck on the ground might be very frustrating?

IIRC there's an option to turn off some of the more blatant images, and you'll have a sense of how much you like it within the refund limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Owl Inspector posted:

Started the system shock remake and while I'm embarrassed to say I actually bothered to look for the first keypad code instead of just mashing 451, I did eat enough snacks on floor 1 to get an achievement called Look At You, Snacker so I think I'm doing it right

I overheard an NPC in Atomic Heart mention the code to something was 0451 and I rolled my eyes so hard that I nearly blinded myself.