Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

... colour theory. ... is easy ...
No lol

not for me at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

contrast medium is completely unavailable in the United States. not in any LGS, not on Amazon or eBay for any reasonable price or shipping. there’s a listing for $49.99 on eBay for a pot right now.
is there any other “we have contrast medium at home” type of product I can use to turn contrasts into a glaze that will tint a surface a little better rather than running into cracks? lahmian medium kinda does the opposite of what I want.

I have been using this with good results. It's a bit thinner than lahmian medium, and does a bit of the pooling into cracks but not nearly as strongly. I've used it with contrast paints and inks to create glazes and filters and with metallics to cut down on their tendency to get gummy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 10, 2023

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

occluded posted:

Heya mini thread! As I near middle age I’ve been hearing the call of painting again - have been playing with an airbrush to do gunpla but am super inspired by all your great work and also amazing painters on tiktok who are talented professionals and I will never be that good so should stop torturing myself

Anyway, I’d like to get a set of interesting figures to practise on, some guys with some cool details but not too fiddly and definitely not as expensive as GW stuff. Long shot but does anything stand out as a fun thing to paint without a scary commitment? More interested in the robot / weird bug side of thing than people if that helps.

I've been painting some of the Victrix dark ages sets and they're a great combo of relatively cheap and cool models.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol I popped into grab a nice grey to undercoat with and some wash and ended up grabbing like 4 other paints. I have to be careful about this...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Remember the hobbyist who dies with the biggest paint collection wins.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Yeast posted:

Remember the hobbyist who dies with the biggest paint collection wins.

You know you're a true hobbyist when you have more paints than you do minis (finished or otherwise).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No lol

not for me at least

all your stuff looks great though? and also looks like you did the basic color theory thing of "a couple of colors at a 90 degree-ish angle from each other in the color the wheel plus some neutral-ish stuff" (that is what I mean by easy)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 10, 2023

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I sprayed Vallejo Metal Color Steel through a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity, and truly I have not known joy before today. All other enjoyment has been a lie.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know you're a true hobbyist when you have more paints than you do minis (finished or otherwise).

I used to pretty militantly argue in favour of a limited palette, but recently was given both of GW's big paint set deals and I must say it is so nice to just have all the colors ready to go. Also GWs paints have such a lovely matte finish.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Winklebottom posted:

Thanks! As long as you're patient and put down a few base layers, you'll get there in the end

Yeah it’s getting there. Also where did you get the chocobo? I’ve been enjoying painting cavalry recently and I’m probably going to put together all this cavalry into a bretonnian army whenever they get rereleased

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Current favorite rich gold recipe:

Any Vallejo chrome (brushed on VMA metalic in this case) with AP Speedpaint Zealot Yellow (a very orange yellow)
In this case all over Vallejo Metal Color Burnt Iron base

edit: wasn't going to post anything from this army. it is very much paint fast and simple so I actually have an army that is completely painted

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

all your stuff looks great though? and also looks like you did the basic color theory thing of "a couple of colors at a 90 degree-ish angle from each other in the color the wheel plus some neutral-ish stuff" (that is what I mean by easy)

I mean, I am *trying* but jebus it's hard

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Traditional Games > Minis Painting: Just start throwing some paint on these loving things

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's hard about it? Like what do you have trouble understanding?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Funzo posted:

I sprayed Vallejo Metal Color Steel through a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity, and truly I have not known joy before today. All other enjoyment has been a lie.

This post just reminded me that I got my Badger 105 like 3 years ago now and maybe it's time to get a nice airbrush for myself and do more than just prime and zenithal.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it’s getting there. Also where did you get the chocobo? I’ve been enjoying painting cavalry recently and I’m probably going to put together all this cavalry into a bretonnian army whenever they get rereleased

It's a "Chuco-strider" by RN Estudio. You can get it from various 3D printing sites or print your own. I got mine from Forgelord 3D (EU shop) and the print file is on MyMiniFactory.

They have a whole FF/JRPG series but they can be somewhat tricky to search for since they all have non-copyrighted names.

Ah yes, my favorite FF7 characters, Dhiva and Claude

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If anyone's interested, Tom Hibberd (ex GW 20yr product designer) just did a sit down on the painting phase and discussed heaps of inside baseball stuff with GW product design, marketing, decision etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-63A7cDkOm8

and most importantly, confirmed that GW Artificer brushes are exactly the same as Windsor & Newton Series 7.

More amazingly (to me), the GW Red brushes from the 90s, then the blue brushes in the 2000s, and the current black handle brushes, are all the same.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, aside from one off buys like my Imperial Fist contrast paint, I have a starting set of Vallejo Game Color. That shouldn't be...terrible, right? I'm trying to apply the black to white undercoated bolt guns and it's going on like a glaze? I applied some water to the paint, and it's a wet palate, did I maybe just apply way too much water?

It's so thin it looks like a homemade contrast paint over the white. In fact it looks quite a lot like the speeder painter grey I applied on some earlier guns.

for what it's worth I also find VGC black to be unhelpfully transparent. Not bad, if that's the effect you're going for, but absolutely nowhere near as opaque as either the Vallejo model black or Reaper black I also own.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 11, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lamuella posted:

for what it's worth I also find VGC black to be unhelpfully transparent. Not bad, if that's the effect you're going for, but absolutely nowhere near as opaque as either the Vallejo model black or Reaper black I also own.

For the price I've actually switched to liquitex mars black gouache. It's $10 for 57 ml while gaming stuff is $4 for 17ml at the cheapest. Has an extremely matte finish and very pigment dense.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Space wolf dread #8

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I used to pretty militantly argue in favour of a limited palette, but recently was given both of GW's big paint set deals and I must say it is so nice to just have all the colors ready to go. Also GWs paints have such a lovely matte finish.

A limited palette doesn't mean using fewer premixed paints. It means limiting the number of different hues you use. If you want to use readymade tints and shades, that can still be a limited palette if you'd like! Just use fewer triads.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought some blood raven transfers finally...soon...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Winklebottom posted:

It's a "Chuco-strider" by RN Estudio. You can get it from various 3D printing sites or print your own. I got mine from Forgelord 3D (EU shop) and the print file is on MyMiniFactory.

They have a whole FF/JRPG series but they can be somewhat tricky to search for since they all have non-copyrighted names.

Thanks a lot! I'm a big fan of Garett myself

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have the same problem too and mostly sidestep it now due to sticking with limited color palettes and vibes off things I really like. For me, vaporwave and neon sunsets are rad so it's easy to stick to that for my things.

What might help is in getting a book called "color and light" by James Gurney and/or a book of color palettes that you can flip through by color or number of colors like "a dictionary of color combinations". This latter book is expensive for what it is, you can find plenty of online color palette guides, but I like the physicality and being able to flip through pages.

The nice side effect of studying color combos and theory is that if you like to coordinate clothes via color blocking, it makes it easier to pick out what to wear on any given day.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 11, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks a lot! I'm a big fan of Garett myself

Surely you mean William Barr :shepface:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Winklebottom posted:

I love the fake names for these knockoffs. Weprintminiatures do a wide range of Arnold Schwarzeneggers from different movies and they're all called Barry Mcguffin.

https://weprintminiatures.com/products/barry-mcguffin-future-war-scifi-miniatures

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spanish Manlove posted:

Space wolf dread #8

Still need a few more dreads

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hell yes. You have exactly the right amount of Dreadnoughts, which is to say, you definitely have room for a few more.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Hell yes. You have exactly the right amount of Dreadnoughts, which is to say, you definitely have room for a few more.

There's ~500 points that aren't dreads, so I'll just wait until the standalone brutalis and another dread get released.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

AndyElusive posted:

I am going to run 3 Furisos, 3 DC Dreads and 3 Librarian Dreads this week to see how my Tau opponent likes it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Termyie posted:

I am going to run 3 Furisos, 3 DC Dreads and 3 Librarian Dreads this week to see how my Tau opponent likes it.

Please post an update after the battle.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

A limited palette doesn't mean using fewer premixed paints. It means limiting the number of different hues you use. If you want to use readymade tints and shades, that can still be a limited palette if you'd like! Just use fewer triads.

Yes, one could definitely do that, but no one does that, nor would that be in line with what people mean when they say "use a limited palette." It defeats the point of mixing colors, which is to always have a unique or perfectly accurate color for that specific work, but have all the colors you use look cohesive across multiple artworks. Obviously that is more of a concern for an artist, but a mini painter just wants ease of use and consistency.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you want a bunch of paints, do it - it’s fun!

If you want fewer paints, do it - it’s fun!

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Christ. The new dreads are xboxhuge.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think they like Space Wolves

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

52 Miniatures made a pretty neat diorama using a Dreadnought and 1/35 scale figures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5CYcUYV9M

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

loving hell. I didn't grasp how much bigger the new dreads are until now. It's a little weird that the very shooty new dreads are the only ones that can't take a rocket pod on top.

I've got some advice to ask for a customisation project. I really like Heavy Intercessors as a gaming piece and want some for my army. However, they just seem to be begging for some kind of cloak or great coat or something. I always really like the look of the Helghan's in Killzone or the Galactic Marines from Star Wars. Examples below

I have a few questions:
-Is this idea viable at all? I feel like Heavy Intercessors might be a little to bulky for this look to work.
-If it is, I assume green stuff rolled very thin is the material to use. Is it?
-Is it advisable to file or trim the model to get the cloak to fit or am I better off just making the green stuff thinner.

I'm interested in any and all tips on making green stuff cloaks, essentially.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

52 Miniatures made a pretty neat diorama using a Dreadnought and 1/35 scale figures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5CYcUYV9M

that is cool as hell. really straightforward but really great execution.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Yes, one could definitely do that, but no one does that, nor would that be in line with what people mean when they say "use a limited palette." It defeats the point of mixing colors, which is to always have a unique or perfectly accurate color for that specific work, but have all the colors you use look cohesive across multiple artworks. Obviously that is more of a concern for an artist, but a mini painter just wants ease of use and consistency.

okay like none of this is true

in traditional art, a limited palette is using a limited set of primary pigments that create an overall effect defined by the limitations of those pigments. but you do actually mix those pigments. on minis, most likely we are not doing that. i mean you can if you want but idk why you'd mix your paints from the primary pigments with quick drying acrylics.

instead using a limited palette on minis with hobby acrylics means limiting yourself to give the same effect as a limited palette. this is not painting all of your dudes the same main color, but rather choosing the colors that you would naturally have if your yellow primary was warmer or cooler or your blue primary was brilliant or soft or whatever.

you can take art classes to see what various pigments can do but you can get like 80% of the effect by picking about 4-6 paints that look good together (your hues), a tint (white or something close), and a shade (a black or dark grey, or even a brown or a purple). rather than fooling with primaries like you're painting a painting, you're skipping a step ahead and only mixing your (probably half or mostly secondary) hues with your tint and shade. you can mix your hues too, you just probably want fewer of them if you do that.

at this point you can use the good old base-shade-rebase-highlight wargamer classic. as long as you pick citadel-style triads that match your hues mixed with your tint/shade colors, you can just use those. the point is not literally less containers of paint (since these triads are just readymade versions of the ways both fine artists and wargamers mix their paints as needed anyway) but rather fewer overall hues.

there are two cool benefits of this.

first, if you're disciplined and do not give into "well, maybe one more color" (too often), it will make your whole army look cohesive without needing to all be the same color. wargamers obviously benefit from all of their work look cohesive! not only that, but it gives you more freedom to experiment with which colors are the main ones, because the warm yellow details on one squad match with the dominant warm yellow on the tank.

second, it is so much less hassle. you have so many fewer paint pots to sift through and so much less worrying about finding the perfect color. you can just put away the bulk of your paint collection and focus on arranging the colors you already decided on. (this also dampens the temptation to buy new paints midproject. a little. i've heard.)

a nice side benefit is that you really get to appreciate the qualities of a particular paint. you really get to see VMC's sunbeaten dull mattes or citadel's bold satin colors with just the weirdest mixes sometimes. (how is orruk green a warm pea green? wizardry i swear.) also how VMC pale sand is skill in a bottle 2.0.

there is some more advanced parts of this and i'm not gonna pretend to have a keen grasp of all that but it is a tool you can you to achieve both consistency and ease of use.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I should paint more and effortpost less, even if it's :effort: painting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There has got to be a way to apply red in less layers, right? should I have done a brown undercoat first?

Interestingly, Mephiston Red is much more opaque than pro acryl's red, which is still fairly thin. Same issue with some of their paints, it's good and bad.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer a completely opaque paint than lower opacity paint

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 12, 2023