Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hockeyman posted:

I have a friend looking for a windows laptop to do some work/side projects whose been using all Apple stuff for decades. Anyone have a good recommendation for a laptop for running 3DS Max? I guess some gaming might be a secondary use for it too, but 3DS Max is the main use case. As far as I know the budget has some leeway but preferably topping out around $1500 at most.

Consumer graphics cards (like RTX) won't work well with 3DS max, so you need something like a Quadro or an A or T series.

This looks like a great deal, but you'd just want to make sure the t600 is supported. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...vcaAuJnEALw_wcB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

Lockback posted:

Consumer graphics cards (like RTX) won't work well with 3DS max, so you need something like a Quadro or an A or T series.

This looks like a great deal, but you'd just want to make sure the t600 is supported. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...vcaAuJnEALw_wcB

Awesome, thanks. I'll dig some more but that's a good start.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In general look around at the Thinkpad P series. Dell latitudes also are ok. But make sure the specs match what they're trying to do. $1500 is definitely lowend for a laptop in that class, but if your doing lower end stuff that's fine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone here fiddle with a Framework DIY laptop? Is the hardware good for the price? Or is it more of a faux DIY gimmick with a few extra self-repair options?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I haven't fiddled with them directly, but they are a little expensive for the price of the hardware, like their 13" is like 25% more than what you can pretty easily find a T14 for with the same specs. And I think people have complained the battery life, but they may have increased battery size on the newest laptops.

I think otherwise they seem solid and they do what they are advertised to do. Personally I am a little skeptical that if they'll be keeping the same form factor in 4 years when you'd actually want to upgrade, or if you'd want that same form factor then. That's not a criticism as much as just thinking through how something like that would work as they get old enough to start going through true upgrade cycles.

If its something that you have an interest in and like the idea, then I think they're well worth it and put together well. It's great for that type of enthusiast. If you're just looking for the best value in a laptop framework probably isn't it, but it's not too terribly far off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I look at it from a position of more than just upgrade. It's also the repairability, both in the ease of getting parts and the ease of replacing.

Sure some of the big laptop makers do that for the major components, especially when you get into corporate devices, but it's still not quite as easy as going to the marketplace and buying, say, new speakers in a few clicks if yours started getting buzzy.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I am in search of a used, fanless, ultralight Windows laptop, preferably for sub 500€. I guess the fanless requirement limits the selection quite a bit, and it seems tricky to identify which models are fanless. In my search the most promising options seem to be the Dell XPS 13 9365 or Acer Swift 7 2019 model. I assume my best source would be ebay.de, unless there are other good online stores for used laptops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Historically I've had more luck with local classified-like sites than eBay, but I don't know how Germany typically works.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I'm in Finland so there's probably too limited selection. In 2019 I got lucky and found my old HP Folio 1020 G1 from a Finnish online store selling used laptops, but I've checked the selection on half a dozen stores and I didn't find something that fits my requirements.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

thread consensus seems to be that framework laptops are at least ok if not good

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Instead of buying a new laptop I borrowed my mom's 5 year old xps 13 and installed ubuntu on it and the cycle begins anew.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

I have an XPS 13 9343, so like from 2015. I love it, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm going on sabbatical for a year and won't be taking my desktop but want to play bg3 when it comes out. Is there anything in the "ultrabook" (is that still a thing) form factor that will play games half decently?

The $800 3060 G14 is back at Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...white/6494633.p

As far as "portable machine that will play BG3" this is pretty much ideal.

Not sure that guy is still checking the thread though....

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

bull3964 posted:

I look at it from a position of more than just upgrade. It's also the repairability, both in the ease of getting parts and the ease of replacing.

Sure some of the big laptop makers do that for the major components, especially when you get into corporate devices, but it's still not quite as easy as going to the marketplace and buying, say, new speakers in a few clicks if yours started getting buzzy.

Yeah, if you're okay with ribbon cables, ordering parts off ebay, small connectors and screws, there's no huge advantage to the Framework over a thinkpad or whatever other corporate fleet laptop you can get off lease for cheap. The appeal is being able to order a part and instantly swap it out with no faff because everything's a usb-c module, and when the chip is outdated you can do a realtively simple mobo swap to upgrade. Which is neat, and worth the premium for the target audience imo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, if you're okay with ribbon cables, ordering parts off ebay, small connectors and screws, there's no huge advantage to the Framework over a thinkpad or whatever other corporate fleet laptop you can get off lease for cheap. The appeal is being able to order a part and instantly swap it out with no faff because everything's a usb-c module, and when the chip is outdated you can do a realtively simple mobo swap to upgrade. Which is neat, and worth the premium for the target audience imo.

Also if you're a Linux user all their hardware works well under its kernel. This is not an insignificant problem with many laptops.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Lockback posted:

The $800 3060 G14 is back at Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...white/6494633.p

As far as "portable machine that will play BG3" this is pretty much ideal.

Not sure that guy is still checking the thread though....

I am but I'm temporarily relocated to Europe. Will consider shipping to a neighbor and picking up in the fall

Edit: this thing looks sick - why only $800? I'm not sure I understand..

Turds in magma fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 12, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gaming laptop prices tend to drop like a rock especially after a newer model gets released

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, it's a great deal, but they're clearing out old stock. We're entering the stretch that is the best time of the year for gaming laptops too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
new laptops whit the market circa august for the back-to-school season.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Are those Asus TUF laptops pretty sturdy?

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Worf posted:

I'd say so. I picked up the A15 in 2020, used it for a year and then shipped it to my stepfather in Florida and it's still running like a champ doing gigapixel renders almost instantly. Has three 2TB SSDs in it (2xNVMe, 1 SATA) and 64GB RAM. AMD R7 4800 series CPU and an RTX2060 in it. Served me well and it's doing a great job for him, and he does move it outdoors when he has it hooked to the telescope and camera. He's very technical at 80yo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Worf posted:

They're ok. They don't have the same build quality as the ROG line, but there's nothing wrong with them. I'd generally put them alongside MSI.

They are not like a rugged laptop like a toughbook or dells rugged line, but they are not dainty. Affordable, usually good value, tuf here means not thin.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Nulldevice posted:

I'd say so. I picked up the A15 in 2020, used it for a year and then shipped it to my stepfather in Florida and it's still running like a champ doing gigapixel renders almost instantly. Has three 2TB SSDs in it (2xNVMe, 1 SATA) and 64GB RAM. AMD R7 4800 series CPU and an RTX2060 in it. Served me well and it's doing a great job for him, and he does move it outdoors when he has it hooked to the telescope and camera. He's very technical at 80yo.

Cool, I might end up in a similar situation with only keeping it for 18 months or so. I mainly wanted something that wouldn't collapse on itself in that timeframe before I sold it to somebody else

Lockback posted:

They're ok. They don't have the same build quality as the ROG line, but there's nothing wrong with them. I'd generally put them alongside MSI.

They are not like a rugged laptop like a toughbook or dells rugged line, but they are not dainty. Affordable, usually good value, tuf here means not thin.

Interesting that the build quality isn't as nice as ROG- does ROG use metal parts vs whatever nicer looking plastic seems to be on the TUF line?

I don't really need something rugged, I just wanted something that wasn't outright flimsy. Also the cooling design on the TUF seems pretty decent for a stock laptop cooling setup (i still have a cooling pad from my last similar model anyway)

I also like how the TUF doesnt come with all the stickers and stuff on it, they keep them separately in the box for the user to add if they want.

fake edit because i wrote this all and then forgot to hit submit:

the 15 inch /4050 is at the lowest price its ever been i think, with 6% back because of amazon prime day, so i grabbed that. i dont need some super powerful dGPU but i definitely wanted "something", and I suspect that a 4050 is pretty good on that display. it should be a decent thing for $940

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I need a cheap laptop to connect to my project car for very simple diagnostic stuff. Specifically I need to use a USB to serial cable in conjunction with PuTTY and a virtual COM port to make a serial connection to one component, where I can use the terminal interface.

What is the lowest cost solution here? A brief search suggests PuTTY can be installed on a chromebook, but what about the virtual COM port aspect? That's the part which prevents me from simply using my work laptop, as I don't have admin rights and thus can't install VCP drivers.

Maybe the cheapest option is just something old and used from craigslist?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

I need a cheap laptop to connect to my project car for very simple diagnostic stuff. Specifically I need to use a USB to serial cable in conjunction with PuTTY and a virtual COM port to make a serial connection to one component, where I can use the terminal interface.

What is the lowest cost solution here? A brief search suggests PuTTY can be installed on a chromebook, but what about the virtual COM port aspect? That's the part which prevents me from simply using my work laptop, as I don't have admin rights and thus can't install VCP drivers.

Maybe the cheapest option is just something old and used from craigslist?

If you have an Android phone you can buy the app Torque Pro for $5, and Amazon Prime Day has a well-reviewed OBD2 Bluetooth dongle for $10: https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports-DashCommand/dp/B011NSX27A

Not sure if it'll do everything a laptop will but the Torque app has been around for over a decade and actively worked on.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - the cheapest option for a PC would probably be something used whether that's Craigslist, eBay, SA-Mart or whatever. I checked eBay and a Thinkpad T440 can be had for $90 there.

Lenovo and Dell refurb outlets get down around the $200 mark with systems that are either several years old or low-end, but they probably won't come close to $100 very often.

You could also try WinToUSB (https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/) to boot your work laptop off of a separate installation on a flash drive or external SSD. I was able to get it working just fine with an off-brand 240GB Type-C SSD.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 12, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

If you have an Android phone you can buy the app Torque Pro for $5, and Amazon Prime Day has a well-reviewed OBD2 Bluetooth dongle for $10: https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports-DashCommand/dp/B011NSX27A

Not sure if it'll do everything a laptop will but the Torque app has been around for over a decade and actively worked on.
if only my old Nexus 7 still worked...

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah - the cheapest option for a PC would probably be something used whether that's Craigslist, eBay, SA-Mart or whatever. I checked eBay and a Thinkpad T440 can be had for $90 there.

Lenovo and Dell refurb outlets get down around the $200 mark with systems that are either several years old or low-end, but they probably won't come close to $100 very often.

You could also try WinToUSB (https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/) to boot your work laptop off of a separate installation on a flash drive or external SSD. I was able to get it working just fine with an off-brand 240GB Type-C SSD.
maybe I could just boot ubuntu on my work laptop through a usb flash drive and run what I need that way

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 12, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Worf posted:

Cool, I might end up in a similar situation with only keeping it for 18 months or so. I mainly wanted something that wouldn't collapse on itself in that timeframe before I sold it to somebody else

Interesting that the build quality isn't as nice as ROG- does ROG use metal parts vs whatever nicer looking plastic seems to be on the TUF line?

I don't really need something rugged, I just wanted something that wasn't outright flimsy. Also the cooling design on the TUF seems pretty decent for a stock laptop cooling setup (i still have a cooling pad from my last similar model anyway)

I also like how the TUF doesnt come with all the stickers and stuff on it, they keep them separately in the box for the user to add if they want.

the 15 inch /4050 is at the lowest price its ever been i think, with 6% back because of amazon prime day, so i grabbed that. i dont need some super powerful dGPU but i definitely wanted "something", and I suspect that a 4050 is pretty good on that display. it should be a decent thing for $940

The TUF have more creaky plastic vs the more composite material on the rog. They usually don't have as nice of screens, and frequently it's more of a crapshoot for what kind of SSD or memory is used. Cooling is better on the rog line, though for a 4050 the TUF will be fine.

The 4050 is a good mobile card, it's just a hair behind the 3060, so it's like only 20%-25% behind a 4060. The mid to low 4000 series on laptops is really good, despite being crappy on desktops.

However, I think the $800 3060 G14 I posted is a better laptop for slightly cheaper than that TUF, personally. That seems like an ok price for that laptop, not a particularly great one.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

maybe I could just boot ubuntu on my work laptop through a usb flash drive and run what I need that way

I can vouch for HP Elitebook 840, I had a fleet of these at work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266303508316

$80 shipped and everything works.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Yes - you will need something like minicom installed and the USB serial should show up at /dev/ttyUSB0 when you configure it. All of our lab laptops just run Linux Mint now which doesn't throw off our Windows techs too much.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Worf posted:

Just because it's pronounced "tough" has absolutely nothing to do with durability of any kind. It's an acronym for "The Ultimate Force".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Saw this Zenbook 14 OLED at Best Buy for $600 and almost bought it to replace my current lovely chromebook as my "shitpost and watch videos in bed" device but balked because $600 is still a bit much to me for that type of device. Are these things any good? I might try to find a deal on a refurb or used one if so.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

shitpost and watch videos? Have you considered an Android tablet? That might fit the bill better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Saw this Zenbook 14 OLED at Best Buy for $600 and almost bought it to replace my current lovely chromebook as my "shitpost and watch videos in bed" device but balked because $600 is still a bit much to me for that type of device. Are these things any good? I might try to find a deal on a refurb or used one if so.

Yeah they're pretty good. That model only has 8GB though which turns it into "not very good". Make sure you get something with 16GB at that price point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The screen looks spectacular because of the OLED and 120hz. If you're not in a rush you can keep an eye out for Open Box which will be like 30% off sticker price.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pixaal posted:

shitpost and watch videos? Have you considered an Android tablet? That might fit the bill better.

tablet is the correct option here, yeah. and then I have a 300 year old laptop that lives under the bed in case I need a real keyboard once a quarter

as much as i dislike the apple mobile products ecosystem, the iPad is a vastly superior tablet device than any android tablet. Most-all of the ipads have USB-C now so you don't need a stupid proprietary charging cable anymore

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pixaal posted:

I have a tablet that I never use because I hate typing on on-screen keyboards. Would much rather have a laptop with a real keyboard.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Oh my gosh I know it was over-priced but I love my new Alienware laptop. Going from a 7th gen dual core Intel i3 with 12gb of ram that had an intel HD graphics 620 to an 8 core AMD Ryzen 9 with 32gb of DDR 5 RAM and an Nvidia RTX 3070ti with 8gb of DDR6 RAM is loving amazing. The only other thing I had to do was buy a usb number pad because I type a lot of numbers working from home.

Edit: oh Also to add it has an M2 SSD rather than a mechanical hard drive but don't get me wrong my old Acer laptop served me well for almost 10 years playing old-school games from GOG. It finally started to die from constantly locking up or just randomly rebooting. I might try to fix it to get it working better by just reinstalling windows 10 and give it to my mother in-law so she can take it to the library and use wireless internet there. Wont be the best thing ever but for someone who doesn't have a computer or internet it might be the best thing ever. Might give her something to do rather than only leaving her house to go to the grocery store. It even has a dvd drive so she can rent movies from the library

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 16, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i picked up an asus zephyrus g14 with a 7940HS and 4090 for gaming on vacation after having generally good experiences with a work asus scar 16 (13980HX with a 4090)

kinda nuts how much more power efficent AMD (gaming) laptops are compared to intel - the g14 consumes about 9-10W with browsing workloads while the scar 16 easily hits double that.
it does run noticeably hotter than the scar 16 when gaming but that comes down to the 14" versus 16" form factors

neat thing about the g14 series also is that there's a very good open source taskbar app, the g-helper, that allows you to switch power modes and display settings quickly

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Heya goons, I’m in th UK and am looking to upgrade my laptop in time for Baldur’s Gate 3 (super stoked). I don’t really know very much about laptop specs, but I came across this and it seems like a pretty good deal. Am I missing something?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-erazer-deputy-p50-intel-core-i7-16gb-1tb-rtx-4060-fhd-144hz-15.6-inc-30035613/version.asp

i7, 4060 card, 16 GB RAM with another slot to increase to 32 potentially. No info on wattage, but for under £1100 that seems pretty nice? Like I said I’m really new to this whole world so could be missing something obvious.

I’m willing to go up to around £1400 in general, but if I can save £300 then neat. Any help/direction greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Lockback posted:

People should just send me their money and a laptop will show up.

This is what I'd get next:

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/16754060

I'm honestly struggling to find a reason to spend more than $1200 right now on a gaming laptop.

Maybe this guy if you want something really portable? But it sounds like you don't.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6535498.p?skuId=6535498

Thank you I got it and like it!