Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dabir posted:

Who the Frick is doig doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsYWZSTbEPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPybJCLeDpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlwK6ioJ8w8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Is there not a dave the diver thread?

dige the duger

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hello I am in the Finale Chapter of Yakuza 0 and I'd like to say the last few chapters have been gut punch after gut punch

This game is so loving good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yakuza owns :thatsrad:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Been playing harvest moon snes, and enjoying the callousness of the guide I’m using (« don’t talk to your kids. Don’t talk to your wife. Give her an egg every other day to offset the relationship damage »)

Lmao, does talking to them take a long time or something?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I got the harvest moon itch, what's a good harvestmoonlike on switch?

Harvestella

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Harvestella is an action rpg with light farming elements

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

code:
Before proposing, it is STRONGLY recommended that you get your wife's affection 
score as high as possible, at least to 10 hearts in her diary.  It is much 
easier to raise this score while you are single, and getting married with a 
high score allows for some leeway to neglect her when wed.
code:
The goal of marriage is to keep your wife happy enough to have two children.  
This is required for the best ending in the game.
code:
That's right, you almost never need to talk to your wife, you never need to 
even touch your own children, and you can freely flirt with other women.  None 
of this bothers your wife at all.
code:
Most guides stress the importance of going to bed each night with your wife.  
Practically speaking, this is a huge waste of time and money.  It is nearly 
impossible to make a decent amount of money in year 2 if you need to have all 
your chores done by 6pm every night.
code:
Children will grow slightly during the game (from baby up to walking 
toddler), but they never grow enough to speak coherently or assist you in any 
way. 
code:
Once your wife delivers the child, there is no additional work required on your 
part.  You never need to speak to or pick up the kid.  Your wife does not care 
and the children do not have individual affection scores, so there is no effect 
at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

Harvestella is an action rpg with light farming elements

But it’s good though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

code:
code:
code:
code:
code:
way. 
code:
at all.

How important is it to go out to the bar and/or to the convenience store for smokes and not come back

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Hello I am in the Finale Chapter of Yakuza 0 and I'd like to say the last few chapters have been gut punch after gut punch

I played 0 for the first time this year too, and am in agreement with you. Game is amazing.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

verbal enema posted:

I said come in! posted:

I played 0 for the first time this year too, and am in agreement with you. Game is amazing.

Heeeeey boys.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

code:
code:
code:
code:
code:
way. 
code:
at all.

:lmao: what the heck

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Jay Rust posted:

code:
code:
code:
code:
code:
way. 
code:
at all.

Yup, that sounds like optimized farming sim gameplay. Sociopathic and profit-driven in search of the "best ending". :hmmyes:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If your wife is going to bed at 6pm while you’re in the mines fighting ghouls then I think it’s okay to flirt with the towns many floozies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

code:
code:
code:
code:
code:
way. 
code:
at all.

Been saying this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Odd Wilson posted:

Yup, that sounds like optimized farming sim gameplay. Sociopathic and profit-driven in search of the "best ending". :hmmyes:

The funniest part is following a guide like this for the best ending instead of just, like, watching a video of the same thing. Gotta get those best endings to up the counter in your gamefaqs signature.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

The funniest part is following a guide like this for the best ending instead of just, like, watching a video of the same thing. Gotta get those best endings to up the counter in your gamefaqs signature.

Depending on when it was written that video may not have existed yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Text is way better than video for game guides

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So bear jokes aside, this is an interesting contrast to BG3, which Larian took great pains to stress is trying to create believable romances. Whether they’ll succeed, who knows? But I applaud the effort.

There was a snippet of a kinda adorable date with the barbarian companion, and they stressed they’re trying to avoid beep boop right option get laid.

Funny that they let the stream direct that interaction, because that pretty much guaranteed everyone would be seeing that loving bear thing and they have to have known that would happen.

Either it ends up a hilarious joke or they succeed. I avoid romance subplots in RPGs, cause they’re always cringe, but I admit my curiosity is piqued just because they’re apparently trying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
accomplishing things is way better than watching a video of the cutscene you get for accomplishing it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't have time to accomplish things, I only have time to watch a video of a wizard loving a bear

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watching the ending is reading a synopsis, using a guide is sparknotes, playing something blind is the only way

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

I don't have time to accomplish things, I only have time to watch a video of a wizard loving a bear

Same though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Depending on when it was written that video may not have existed yet

Oh yeah whoops lol. I was watching the first season of Curb Your Enthusiasm the other night and I kept getting so irritated at Larry pestering people for where to get something gift wrapped, just look it up on your phone!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why is twisted metal a show?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Ask Sony.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Because what if they did Twisted Metal, and instead of the show being entirely in vehicles all the time, 80% of it was just people talking?

It's like what if you made a Transformers movie and 80% of it was focused on humans.
That'd be dumb

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like romance options in RPGs because i'm very lonely

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Twisted Metal but you can date the cars

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gaius Marius posted:

The clip they showed at summer game fest introduced by a hungover will arnett was one of the worst pieces of mainstream media I've seen this year

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Jay Rust posted:

I got the harvest moon itch, what's a good harvestmoonlike on switch?

stardew valleys prob the big one but theres also rune factory 4 s and story of seasons friends of mineral town which are both p cool, imo its stardew = rf4s > sos fomt (both by the og devs of harvest moon)

theres a new story of seasons out too also (a wonderful life) but i haven't played that one so idk if its good or not

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like most Story of Seasons games nowadays, it's just a remake of a game from back when it was Harvest Moon and from what I've heard people say, it's fine, but also it's starting to get a bit frustrating how the series kinda refuses to meaningfully evolve especially with Stardew having eaten and still kinda eating its lunch after like 7 years

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

there seems to be rune factory 4 but also rune factory 5 is that one no good?

gonna be on vacation at the end of the month so lookin' to have something on the switch to play

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell loving yeah I knew with the announcement of Super Mario RPG Remake that Jonny would go nuts on a cover of some sort for it, and he did not disappoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53R9x58XOvc&hd=1

also, amazon's having a fire sale on MTG stuff, a bunch of collector and draft boxes and stuff, but there's some stuff that would be great for someone getting into MTG for the first time if anyone's curious.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/34E30745-6BA8-4E8B-9B17-34078791329B?ingress=0&visitId=fb2dc2d4-918d-466c-878c-0bb7db3e56e1

there's a whole bunch of Commander Decks, complete 100-card decks playable right out of the box, being sold for $20-$30, there's the 2021 Orzhov Auras Pioneer Deck being sold for 20 bucks which is a steal for a competitive deck that can be easily updated with only a few cards, Game Night comes with 5 mono-colored decks that can be played straight out of the box by new players as well as life counters, tokens, etc. worth taking a look if you've ever wanted to give MTG a try. the Orzhov Auras deck in particular at that price, it's selling for less than half the price of the cards in it, it's kind of nuts it's still in stock. And even though Lurrus of the Dream-Den has since been banned for being one of the most broken cards ever printed, I believe so long as you play the deck as-is without modifying it, it's still allowed in official tournaments and stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also this is neato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUks4wuYkUU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

that popped up in my feed a couple times and it's a really innovative-looking technology. i believe it uses something similar to voxel doom where it attempts to emulate three-dimensional thickness for individual portions of the sprite

it's still kinda rough around the edges from what i've seen, but i might give it a shot and see if it makes animation any easier. there's always obviously the dead cells method of 3D -> pixel 2D conversions, but 3D modeling's a lot goddamn harder by far than making a cutout sprite

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kerrzhe posted:

there seems to be rune factory 4 but also rune factory 5 is that one no good?

gonna be on vacation at the end of the month so lookin' to have something on the switch to play

4 is better. If you must buy 5 be aware it's a bit of a mess. Runs slow, and I don't think the overall cast of characters are as bonkers as previous games. They're not bad but it felt like a downgrade. I also think the 3d doesn't work as cleanly as the overhead gameplay of games prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vermain posted:

that popped up in my feed a couple times and it's a really innovative-looking technology. i believe it uses something similar to voxel doom where it attempts to emulate three-dimensional thickness for individual portions of the sprite

it's still kinda rough around the edges from what i've seen, but i might give it a shot and see if it makes animation any easier. there's always obviously the dead cells method of 3D -> pixel 2D conversions, but 3D modeling's a lot goddamn harder by far than making a cutout sprite
yeah but that moment at 17 seconds or so where she rotates the 2D sprite and it gets like 95% of the way there with making it accurately depict the figure being rotated despite being a flat thing, that was insane to me

like how do you even do that without procedural AI poo poo, making it understand what the fairly sparse number of pixels are representing and turn it into a 3D rotatable construct apparently on the fly like she shows, unless I'm missing something?

literally cannot comprehend how that works, she's rotating the 2D thing as if it's a 3D model, but as soon as she stops she can walk around it and it's perfectly flat.