Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/_mm85/status/1676821597934723075

bet you this guy would be arguing how the future of boats is still in sails and not these lovely coal-fired steamers

Lmao that is a terrible strategy my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ProductOfLabor/status/1678802350977187842?t=PpRuviGSCbp7GXK5P8tLdg&s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

most country's top executives don't have term limits

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

It's giving like... fascism. Oh my god.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The USA doesn't even need them any longer now that the CIA can just shoot uppity execs

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait until she finds out who the head of state of the United Kingdom and most European countries is.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
whats going on in thailand. i see some anti military party won but they have some stupid name like 'move forward' rather than 'communist party' so are they five star movement liberal types

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

whats going on in thailand. i see some anti military party won but they have some stupid name like 'move forward' rather than 'communist party' so are they five star movement liberal types

Their leader was begging Taylor Swift to add tour dates to Bangkok

Draw your own conclusions

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Their leader was begging Taylor Swift to add tour dates to Bangkok

Draw your own conclusions

so holocaust denying fascists, got it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

this is the only guy I know who covers Thailand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJOFH7yNkU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ8zSljxJZE

very insightful

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
also Tsai Ing-Wen’s disapproval rating rose from 37 to 48.2% in just one month

lets get nate silver on this

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

https://youtu.be/GJ8zSljxJZE

very insightful

goddamnit, i'd been able to avoid seeing zeihan's face until now

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Danann posted:

bet you this guy would be arguing how the future of boats is still in sails and not these lovely coal-fired steamers

literally Kodak's strategy for digital cameras. kodak is still #1 in the world for cameras, right?

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
when you have a good leader in power term limits are bad e.g. FDR (who was a dictator also (and also did internment camps but worse than China's))

"I would have voted for obama if he could have run a 3rd term" and "Xi is a dictator because he has a 3rd term" are the same people basically is what I'm saying

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a really funny thing to get hung up on because it's not even a unanimous feature in the west.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Also wasn't it only implemented by Hu, during his tenure?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/Eivor_Koy/status/1678750741190647809?s=20

at what cost

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the only time ive ever seen anybody care about term limits is when western shitlibs need an excuse to support some fascist coup in the global south

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Danann posted:

Remembering from my university course about innovation: innovation models (based on actually observed lifecycles) show that a bunch of innovation usually happens right at the end of a technologies' lifecycle, as the new technology that is going to replace them is starting to kick into gear. This leads to competition between the two until the new tech reaches a point where it becomes all upside rather than a tradeoff, after which the old tech dies quite suddenly. It is usually quite profitable for a firm to stay firmly committed to the mature tech during this whole process, though these firms do regularly disappear once the bottom falls out of the old tech.

So the expectation based on this model is that ICEs will become significantly more efficient over the next 5 years (cheaper to produce, better MPG, less pollution etc etc), but EVs (and crucially EV infrastructure) will eventually get to a point where they outcompete ICEs on everything (except maybe some emotional bullshit like the engine roar or whatever) and you won't be able to sell an ICE to anyone no matter how good it is.

Kodak was literally one of the examples given in explaining the model. Another was casettes vs CDs.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

"The Chinese government takes the use of illegal drugs very seriously. Unlike in the United States, where many homeless persons are drug addicts, the homeless Chinese are mostly destitute or mentally ill.

Those who don't work and depend on others are looked down upon in Chinese culture. If given the opportunity to work, most Chinese people would rather not live on the streets or beg."

I can despise the united states treatment of homeless people while still thinking this dude's a giant rear end in a top hat right'?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol literally one of the replies

https://twitter.com/Azzashood/status/1678799711577288705?t=T-Iisk-lKx3RIoDNapUfxg&s=19

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

"assume the cost not worth the benefits" = have an ideology that devalues the benefits.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

mila kunis posted:

yeah capital city liberal types got the most seats by appealing to chiang mai liberal types, promising to do something about seasonal smog and harvest smoke. they also edged out the northern red shirts in their strongholds by appealing to thai muslims who are nervous about hardline militant buddhist cults cleansing brothers in faith from myanmar.

still, expect the northern red shirts and the capital city liberals to join a coalition if they can dodge constitutional hurdles.

the 1st constitutional hurdle is that the outgoing junta installed unelected senators in house of lords type thing. they get a say in selecting the prime minister too, so the orange party needs more partners.

the 2nd constitutional hurdle is that yellow party ultraroyalists claim that the orange party's popular platform of free speech and lese majeste reform is dismantling the kingdom. attempting to amend the "he said she said social media witch trials" aspect of lese majeste law, if a court finds that is tantamount to plotting an overthrow, the orange party will be disbanded.

the 3rd constitutional hurdle is that the liberal orange party top candidate might have owned shares in a media corporation, also against election law. where in america election finance law is joke, playing politics in thailand is to use election law as a cudgel. thai politicians often remain informal power brokers despite having been banned from holding office or participating in a party for ten years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1679046687858507777?t=i5ySMFeMCo2MmxxTxLpR4A&s=19

Lmfao owned

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

Basically the recent round of military/royalty government (from 5 years ago) revised the constitution again, and make opposition parties very hard to win. You pretty much have to win around 75% popular votes to form a new government. If not the government goes back to the former general-Prime Minister.

So the two major opposition parties that dislike each other have to work together to try to form a government. The new kid on the block is the "forward" guys, represent the southern Bangkok metropolitan urbanites and small business. The other is "northern" Pheu Thai party. The Pheu Thai party in general represent the northern, "rice farmer" interest, had won a couple times previously and had 2 prime minister, Thaksin and his sister, both ousted by different coups that represent the royalty, is now headed by Thaksin's preggo daughter.

Thailand politic has a weird setup, it has a very powerful "Constitutional Court", so they really hold the sword over the "forward" party and can find faults in their campaign practice and disband them again. But maybe the power that be will let the opposition parties form a new government for a few years before unleashing the constitutional court, it depends on the haggling between the King, the military, and the opposition.

And the "forward" guys (Pita) and his cofounder, are all 40-something 2nd generation billionaires who hasn't worked a day in their lives. They got their US Ivy league education and went back to Thailand, took over their dead fathers mega business and went straight to politics. The joke is one of them is Hyperloop lover. Not just Elon Musk lover, a Hyperloop lover. I think its safe to label the entire Forward party a Baltic styled US alianed party.

Thailand politic is interesting because its very weird, the foreign policy affiliation is not widely discussed. IMO the Forward party is definitely pro US; the "northern" party is historically pro China; military government based on what they did probably pro China; the tatted up King probably neutral for now. There is also a KIng's more popular sisters you haven't heard from them in a while, they are the wild card.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the change from film to digital cameras happened without needed enormous regulatory changes and social investment in new infrastructure . I don’t know if it’s comparable

also Ice ve battery does the same thing. it gets you from a to b in the same amount of time. digital photography is a whole new level of what you can do with pictures and changes the experience drastically

film to digital camera is like going from walking or riding a horse to a car on a highway

euphronius has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Jul 12, 2023

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

"After two viewings of the movie"

Lmao

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Too engrossed the first time, didn't want to pause

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1678867445614882816

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

still shaped like a cow's tongue

point vietnam

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched a Chinese finance youtuber discussion of Yellen's visit. (He is the Author of "Currency Wars")

He has a much more convincing analysis of what Yellen asked for based on the recent western finance media narratives

He said Yellen is asking for China to forgive large chunk of BRI and Global South debts, if China doesn't comply, the West will re-cook the "debt trap" angle again. The west won't forgive their debts, why? "because they are private debts" owned largely by the 3 US private investment funds (BlackRock Invesco and Vanguads). Canada recent made a stink about "AIIB being controlled by China." So the 5 eyes countries are already working on this "Debt Trap 2.0" angle.

He said "per UN, since Covid IMF and World Bank has lent 280 billions to the developed countries, and only 8 billions to the developing countries." So a lot of developing countries are running into financial troubles and they need balt out from the AIIB or the Brics bank,. And the US is trying to shut down Beijing's alternative lending competition to the IMF.

This analysis makes a lot of sense when you think about the recent news of China lending RMB to Argentina to repay their IMF debt. Argentina exchanged part of the RMB to USD before repaying, and paid about half to IMF directly in RMB. This act probably touched a lot of old money red lines.

Secondly, Yellen asks for Beijing buy more US debts (well no surprise here).

Yellen is not going to touch the tariff issue because the US officials are very good at point the responsibility to other colleagues. She won't answer on the semiconductor sanctions either.

-

BTW on the subject of tariff, if the US keep this tariff up for a few more years, IMO the oversea drop shippers (Temi Aliexpress Shein ) are going to steal alot of business from the US retail stores.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Jul 12, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched a Chinese finance youtuber discussion of Yellen's visit. (He is the Author of "Currency Wars")

He has a much more convincing analysis of what Yellen asked for based on the recent western finance media narratives

He said Yellen is asking for China to forgive large chunk of BRI and Global South debts, if China doesn't comply, the West will re-cook the "debt trap" angle again. The west won't forgive their debts, why? "because they are private debts" owned largely by the 3 US private banks. Canada recent made a stink about "AIIB being controlled by China." So the 5 eyes countries are already working on this "Debt Trap 2.0" angle.

He said "per UN, since Covid IMF and World Bank has lent 280 billions to the developed countries, and only 8 billions to the developing countries." So a lot of developing countries are running into financial troubles and they need balt out from the AIIB or the Brics bank,. And the US is trying to shut down Beijing's alternative lending competition to the IMF.

This analysis makes a lot of sense when you think about the recent news of China lending RMB to Argentina to repay their IMF debt. Argentina exchanged part of the RMB to USD before repaying, and paid about half to IMF directly in RMB. This act probably touched a lot of old money red lines.

Secondly, Yellen asks for Beijing buy more US debts (well no surprise here).

Yellen is not going to touch the tariff issue because the US officials are very good at point the responsibility to other colleagues. She won't answer on the semiconductor sanctions either.

-

BTW on the subject of tariff, if the US keep this tariff up for a few more years, IMO the oversea drop shippers (Temi Aliexpress Shein ) are going to steal alot of business from the US retail stores.

To do what though? Raise the dollar exchange rate? Which might slow inflation, I guess?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Benagain posted:

"The Chinese government takes the use of illegal drugs very seriously. Unlike in the United States, where many homeless persons are drug addicts, the homeless Chinese are mostly destitute or mentally ill.

Those who don't work and depend on others are looked down upon in Chinese culture. If given the opportunity to work, most Chinese people would rather not live on the streets or beg."

I can despise the united states treatment of homeless people while still thinking this dude's a giant rear end in a top hat right'?

a lot of people with china hardons are law-and-order types. Also people anywhere when given the opportunity would work rather than living on the streets or begging.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tankbuster posted:

a lot of people with china hardons are law-and-order types. Also people anywhere when given the opportunity would work rather than living on the streets or begging.

But if there aren't people starving to death from lack of work, how will there be incentive to work?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Consumption of drugs (as that term is commonly understood) is illegal in China and drug addicts are imprisoned. Make what you will of that policy, but it enjoys widespread popular support and the average Chinese person would be perplexed as to why that wasn't also the case in other countries.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Important context is that time when foreign powers, chiefly Britain, forcibly flooded the whole country in drugs as part of an effort to subjugate, colonize and rob it of all its wealth.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Orange Devil posted:

Important context is that time when foreign powers, chiefly Britain, forcibly flooded the whole country in drugs as part of an effort to subjugate, colonize and rob it of all its wealth.

lol that the US did it domestically instead

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Was there any followup to "you should forgive debt because you own it, we shouldn't because it's corporate debt" or was it literally just "you should be punished for not being beholden to corporate interests"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
right right I just got a lol out of "unlike the degenerate, drug-addicted homeless population in the US ours just have mental issues and are easier to deal with"