Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'm in if I can get the No Quarter Pounder with cheese

Black Dog with mustard and relish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Just an amazing quote: Mike Lindell Selling Off MyPillow Equipment: They ‘Did Cancel Culture On Us’

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The left has gone too far this time!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m a gonna do a cancel culture on you.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m a gonna do a cancel culture on you.

I would cancel me so fuckin hard

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The article ends with

quote:

He continues to stand by his debunked claims, insisting that machines were used to steal the election and filing an endless series of lawsuits, including one he claimed was “a class-action lawsuit against all machines.”
"a class-action lawsuit against all machines" is quite the line as well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zugzwang posted:

The man's trying to prevent Judgment Day and we dummies are trying to do a cancel culture on him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zugzwang posted:

The article ends with

Been hitting the spice a little too hard.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Selling machines to fund a lawsuit against machines

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That woke rear end free market.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Huh, looks like this is literally the only machine in the entire country, and it's in Hiroshima of all places. Certainly not a 'thing' by any means, although I guess if they opened one in Tokyo I might try it out for the hell of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Zugzwang posted:

The article ends with

The Lindellian Jihad

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

The Lindellian Jihad

This is the dumbest timeline.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
They Did Cancel Culture On A Grape

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, can I get a vibe check on one grape? Yes, one grape. Thanks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They Did Cancel Culture On A Grape Groyper

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Let me guess, it was a white grape? Of course, this wouldn't happen to a red one, because of phytochemical correctness

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Weatherman posted:

Black Dog with mustard and relish

When the leavening bakes, we'll have more cakes today

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 45 hours!)

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'm in if I can get the No Quarter Pounder with cheese

Get me a foot long Black Dog please.

E:f, b

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still can't believe just how insanely popular and prevalent twitter was, what a force in the world it was. How do you gently caress that up??

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still can't believe just how insanely popular and prevalent twitter was, what a force in the world it was. How do you gently caress that up??

By being Elon Musk.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He disrupted it by moving fast and breaking it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Fire everyone that knew the system (and then some, just to be sure), fire what was trying to pass as moderation staff, unplug random poo poo in various server stacks and wonder why things keep breaking, then bring in a new CEO to take the fall for you (that everyone immediately forgets about, because dipshit can’t stop posting EVER).

Oh, and blow $44 billion just so you can do all of the above. I know I missed a lot, but that’s a decent primer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The most important thing Elon did to gently caress up Twitter wasn't any of that, though. Even if he'd kept all the technical bits working his decisions to promote right-wing content and the blue check system would've killed Twitter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The whole getting rid of verified blue checks was also just the dumbest thing

Now it’s extremely hard to tell what is a legit account for a person or not, unless you already know

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's one of those instances where being a silent shareholder who does nothing would have been a net positive for the company

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Elon made so many obviously terrible choices with Twitter, it almost seems more parsimonious to think that he's deliberately killing the site.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
He didn't really want to buy it, right? And then he got forced to in court unless i misremember? So yeah he wants to kill it out of spite. He got forced to take care of this website and he's going to do a comically bad job so it dies and that will be a lesson to you for asking him to be responsible for things! Just like abusers do

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zugzwang posted:

Elon made so many obviously terrible choices with Twitter, it almost seems more parsimonious to think that he's deliberately killing the site.

He's shredding his reputation in the process, though. I think it's more likely that some of the people who encouraged him to buy it or who provided funding wanted to see Twitter go away and figured Elon was the man for the job.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

InediblePenguin posted:

He didn't really want to buy it, right? And then he got forced to in court unless i misremember? So yeah he wants to kill it out of spite. He got forced to take care of this website and he's going to do a comically bad job so it dies and that will be a lesson to you for asking him to be responsible for things! Just like abusers do

As I recall Twitter took Musk to court to try and force him to honor his agreement to buy it, and he noisily fought it right up until literally a day or two before his deposition for the court case, at which point he abruptly made an about face and bought it as agreed

There are some skeletons in Elon's closet that it was worth $44 billion to him for them not to come out in testimony

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So many funny things came out before the court date.

Like the fact that he whined that Twitter wasn't giving him enough ACCESS so he could make a good decision (which he had waived) and then Twit responded with

"We gave you access to like 100,000 search calls and you blew through that in 2 days wtf"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

You're still making assumptions that Elon has any clue what he is doing and is playing some kind of 10th dimensional chess. He's just a dipshit.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Justin roiland and Joe Rogan texting musk in a group chat saying how he must buy twitter while jack was going uh, yes! Yes!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ultrafilter posted:

He's shredding his reputation in the process, though. I think it's more likely that some of the people who encouraged him to buy it or who provided funding wanted to see Twitter go away and figured Elon was the man for the job.
Yeah, so much stuff is astroturfed these days that this crossed my mind as well.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah Elon is an idiot. There is no larger plan, there is no reason. He's just extremely stupid, but living in a society where his money obligated people to pretend he's smart.

A more extreme version of Steve Jobs killing himself with alternative medicine.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Justin roiland and Joe Rogan texting musk in a group chat saying how he must buy twitter while jack was going uh, yes! Yes!

Also texting his ex wife who encouraged him to buy Twitter to save mankind or whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ultrafilter posted:

For situations like this I prefer to use Occam’s Razor, and it seems obvious to me that what we want to explain as a conspiracy is far more likely just Elon being an overconfident dumbass who thinks he can do anything because he’s mostly succeeded with his previous business ventures.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

FlamingLiberal posted:

For situations like this I prefer to use Occam’s Razor, and it seems obvious to me that what we want to explain as a conspiracy is far more likely just Elon being an overconfident dumbass who thinks he can do anything because he’s mostly succeeded with his previous business ventures.

So .. Capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Oh yeah i don't think he's doing it in any kind of clever Machiavellian way. I just attribute a certain amount of sullen, stubborn, stupid "let it die then" attitude.