Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Apparently a bunch of DJs at Ultra had their USB sticks corrupted or otherwise rendered unplayable by the new CDJs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

Apparently a bunch of DJs at Ultra had their USB sticks corrupted or otherwise rendered unplayable by the new CDJs.

Lmao

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
It was Rekordbox, not the CDJs. I think there was a new Rekordbox update within the last couple of days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

*CDJ checks USB contents* “H-happy Hardcore?” *electric crackle*

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

keevo posted:

It was Rekordbox, not the CDJs. I think there was a new Rekordbox update within the last couple of days.

Rekordbox, like Adobe products, qbittorrent, and now Waves plugins, is one of those "get the version that works and never update it ever." I'm using a version from 2021 and I've literally never had a problem with it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Every time I've downloaded rb I get mad at how long and export takes and give up. Ive been using unanalyzed usbs for years and have never had any problem

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It really is maddening how slow it is to export. I mitigate this by making a weekly or bi-weekly habit of updating my sticks. Oddly, it's only slow as gently caress updating USB sticks; my 1TB SSD is a little faster and 128GB SD cards are WAY faster (you have to do a little trickery to get the software to recognize them though).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rekordbox is a weird piece of software in that I absolutely acknowledge that it feels incredibly bloated and slow, takes forever to start and quit, feels unresponsive when you dig into menus or.. do anything with the library at all. Exporting to USB is snoozy, etc.

.. and yet seems to work just fine in the sense that I only use it for cue setting, track star rating, and dj-link feeding my CDJs so I don’t have to keep exporting to USB whenever I download a new track. Can’t honestly say I’ve ever had an issue with it from that aspect.

I can just feel in my bones how massively poo poo the codebase must be though. Like I would put actual money on it.

I’m not terribly worried about exporting to USB on the reg just yet. Maybe when I actually have a reason to go somewhere and play…

e: I just started experimenting with gate/comp filter on my 900NX and it's batting a thousand for getting me out of a mix where the trailing track just isn't cooperating because I planned poorly. Stuttering it out feels so gimmicky but so far it's just... worked? I guess the trick is not going to it as a crutch :lol:

e2: I know I'm bouncing between genres a lot but it's fun to experiment and I think this week I want to dip my toes more into DnB and breaks. Something with a little more swing to it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 30, 2023

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Soon pioneer dj will charge :10bux: every USB export.

I thought I had read that one of my mixers would run rekordbox DVS so I figured I'd try it but nope you still need to purchase a subscription lmao.

Oh well back to serato to scratch that DVS itch. Never should have stopped updating my library in it, now I can't do my fav "sort by date added" as easily, and still no album art from bandcamp showing up (honestly this was a big reason why I wanted to go with rekordbox dvs at first, {well and an already prepped library} I like the way they integrate the album art; but on the other hand maybe this will help me memorize the names better, rather than by a vague location in the playlist and a picture). I wasn't that excited for stems but am very impressed so far; I gave it some really weird future garage and it had no problem sorting out pitched vocals, muddy basslines, and odd sounding kicks/melody (even on the fly analyzing on a poor spec machine). I think most of the time I'd use it to avoid vocal clashes while mixing and maybe to get acapellas.

Phase would be interesting to try too but I love my absolute mode. Remember those dicers that would stick onto the side of the turntable? They need something like that but just a touchstrip to quickly scrub thru a track when using Phase / relative mode. But then there'd be a bunch of dumb extra USB cables to mess with. You know what; they got it right the first time with just 1200s and CDJ1000, that's all you need, everything else is a compromise to some degree.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Here's a dumb question, is there no way to get beatport streaming songs to pop up in "related tracks?" It's only showing me local files and SoundCloud

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I did my first show this year and first one at a proper venue since covid and I opened for my friends night and it was way more packed then we anticipated. I had a whole plan to build up with like 80-100 bpm acid dubby stuff and early on I accidentally let a song run out to silence and then switched to another on the same lp in a panic but it wasn't what I intended and I forgot to pull the volume down so everyone heard ugly needle cueing noises and stared at me and I got jeered

And then I said gently caress it and tossed my plan and switched gears and got into my groove and it all ended great and I got a lot of compliments in the end and the night was a success and we're gonna have it as a bimonthly now

I love using vinyl but being in my bedroom so long has lead to some bad habits lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I REALLY need to remember to not crank the cans to 11 if I'm getting super into a track.

My ears can only take so much abuse until the ringing is permanent :/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ear Peace makes a good set of inexpensive musician's earplugs that come in a fancy metal keychain holder, and they're only like $20. They're soft and low-profile so you can wear them underneath a pair of headphones.

The problem is you have to actually wear them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It also costs me nothing to not jam the Level dial all the way to the right but I'm too dumb to do a free thing because music is fun :(

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

some kinda jackal posted:

It also costs me nothing to not jam the Level dial all the way to the right but I'm too dumb to do a free thing because music is fun :(

Haha, don’t worry, this is really common especially for new djs, but even us older folks do it sometimes. I say take it (your post) to heart and learn from it, and do your best to keep it reasonable in the future.

My Apple Watch’s decibel meter has been a godsend. When I’m at a party I’m throwing I keep it to 90 dB max (usually less), to avoid the crowd needing earplugs and to let them still be able to hold a conversation. It’s plenty loud ;)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The r/DJs subreddit has occasionally got some choice stupidity in it. (Please help me excise Reddit from my life it's so terrible but I crave content) Usually it's run-of-the-mill stuff like "let's debate the advantages of controllers vs CDJs" or "what headphones are best" or "help me make a mix," but once in a while something as novel as it is imbecilic comes along.

Yesterday some guy asked why DJ controllers don't have two independent sliders for each deck; one for tempo and the other for pitch. When I pointed out that having the ability to control track transposition/tuning via a smooth slider not stepped/detented in discrete intervals is a very bad idea with virtually zero useful applications, he doubled down and insisted that it'd be useful "for sample-based music" where a vocal sample could be off-key from the rest of the song on the order of a percentage point or two... and insisted he has "thousands of songs produced like this." Never mind that no matter how you adjusted this mythical 'pitch-only slider' you'd still be out of tune with your own song.

Just a completely incorrect understanding of the fundamentals of pitch and time, and buddy was NOT having it when multiple people told him to "learn some music theory." "No. I know what I'm talking about and this would be a good feature. Perhaps it's you who need to learn."

This is why I cannot in good conscience call DJs 'musicians'. I realize that's reductive, but for every one who knows key signatures and modes or how to calculate metric modulation on the fly in their head, there are thousands of cretins like this who think their 'artistry' is changing the world and not just making them look stupid.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
My kontrol s5 has a pitch knob and it sometimes comes in handy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah but it's stepped by semitones, is it not?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

The r/DJs subreddit has occasionally got some choice stupidity in it. (Please help me excise Reddit from my life it's so terrible but I crave content) Usually it's run-of-the-mill stuff like "let's debate the advantages of controllers vs CDJs" or "what headphones are best" or "help me make a mix," but once in a while something as novel as it is imbecilic comes along.

Yesterday some guy asked why DJ controllers don't have two independent sliders for each deck; one for tempo and the other for pitch. When I pointed out that having the ability to control track transposition/tuning via a smooth slider not stepped/detented in discrete intervals is a very bad idea with virtually zero useful applications, he doubled down and insisted that it'd be useful "for sample-based music" where a vocal sample could be off-key from the rest of the song on the order of a percentage point or two... and insisted he has "thousands of songs produced like this." Never mind that no matter how you adjusted this mythical 'pitch-only slider' you'd still be out of tune with your own song.

Just a completely incorrect understanding of the fundamentals of pitch and time, and buddy was NOT having it when multiple people told him to "learn some music theory." "No. I know what I'm talking about and this would be a good feature. Perhaps it's you who need to learn."

This is why I cannot in good conscience call DJs 'musicians'. I realize that's reductive, but for every one who knows key signatures and modes or how to calculate metric modulation on the fly in their head, there are thousands of cretins like this who think their 'artistry' is changing the world and not just making them look stupid.

Its a hilarious sub and I love reading it to shitpost and get material for r/djcirclejerk.

There was a good post either in there or beatmatch recently where someone was saying they couldn't understand why their music kept falling out of time after they would use the jog to line up the tracks. They thought the jog adjusted the tempo like a pitch fader

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah but it's stepped by semitones, is it not?

By default yeah

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

this person and like 90% of r/DJs are going to do some horrible poo poo with AI-powered stem separation. i can feel it in my bones

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Posted this in the wrong thread and was wondering why I couldn't find it:

I just got a job at a large music equipment retailer and it looks like my tech knowledge (esp. of DJ gear) thoroughly impressed. They encourage employees taking home equipment to test it out and learn it, so expect some trip reports about new DJ gear :cool:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Mister Speaker posted:

Posted this in the wrong thread and was wondering why I couldn't find it:

I just got a job at a large music equipment retailer and it looks like my tech knowledge (esp. of DJ gear) thoroughly impressed. They encourage employees taking home equipment to test it out and learn it, so expect some trip reports about new DJ gear :cool:

I am luckily in a similar position, although not with retail, and it's fantastic to get to check out gear without having to buy it first.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm playing a wedding today for which I am wildly unprepared. Any quick tips and tricks to mixing a bunch of pop and country garbage? I just want to look competent enough to get paid well. Or like how do I make Rekordbox automix do a good job? I'd like to be able to step away since it's gonna be like a 12 hour day.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I'm playing a wedding today for which I am wildly unprepared. Any quick tips and tricks to mixing a bunch of pop and country garbage? I just want to look competent enough to get paid well. Or like how do I make Rekordbox automix do a good job? I'd like to be able to step away since it's gonna be like a 12 hour day.

It's a wedding, you can generally just crossfade and nobody will notice or care. Not really sure what automix does so can't comment on that.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

from my limited experience automix literally just crossfades in key

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I wouldn't bother "mixing" just fade between songs. Unless something really worked well or a short series of tunes / no one will really notice, it's about the wedding party not showing off mad DJ skillz [but show off your mic/mc work if you're confident]. I would use radio disney, billboard top 40 and billboard country charts to find tunes I didn't get from pools. Have plenty of those line dance songs where the vocalist tells the floor exactly what to do.

For a playlist that will run through while you're away I never really trusted the DJ specific programs and just used itunes.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I already got all my selections from the bride, shoulda said. I the have songs that should play around the ceremony, happy hour, dinner and reception ripped from Spotify playlists at 320. It's just up to me to put em together.
Also we're breaking for karaoke for two hours, but that's all sorted.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, work and travel got in the way and I haven't touched the CDJs in two months. I definitely feel the rust. Very discouraged today. But I mean, I should have expected nothing less. Time to stop pouting about a thing being hard, roll up my sleeves and put in the work to rebuild that muscle memory.

e: Huh, looks like the CDJ-3000 got beatport streaming support if I trial a $14/mo plan.. interesting :O

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 28, 2023

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Looks like Pioneer bought Serato. I luv $ubscription $ervices!

https://the-drop.serato.com/announcements/alphatheta-corporation-acquires-serato-audio-research-limited/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m honestly surprised it took them this long. So the whole DJ market is basically inMusic and AlphaTheta now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The pioneer website and associated alphaTheta extended universe is the slowest, most painful set of user experiences I’ve ever had the misfortune of trying.

I think their entire site is powered entirely by an old repurposed cdj2000

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

So should I buy an FLX 10 like I was thinking of or

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's the DDJ1000 replacement, yeah? I was eyeing that one when I started but Pioneer's perpetual stock shortage made me look at something else instead. I couldn't even find one to demo :(

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

ben shapino posted:

I'd go for it; what I would avoid now is any non pioneer dj branded serato

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ben shapino posted:

Get the newest s4 and enjoy motorized platters and save a bunch of $

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I love my S4 mk3. It’s great. Has every feature I want.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Wasn't Native Instruments bought by a private equity firm? I like my S2 (Mk II, I think), but I wonder if they are going to get shittier.

I sometimes wonder if I made a mistake going the NI route. I need some DJ functions, but do not care about 90% of the stuff these things can do, because I do not need to mix smoothly from one song to another, and I wonder if Serato would have been a better choice. Probably doesn't really matter, if I'm only using the most basic 10% of the functions any of the big players would probably have been fine.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

guppy posted:

Probably doesn't really matter, if I'm only using the most basic 10% of the functions any of the big players would probably have been fine.

Even the little players would probably be fine. Im very seriously considering just getting an iPad with a compatible interface to run whatever the well known freeware dvs program is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Ive used traktor for a long time but there's a couple things in rekordbox I really like, hence considering going with the hardware to use it. The interface is pretty ugly compared to traktor but some functionalities like quick preview, tidal integration, dmx output are tempting me away. Plus a buddy is getting into DJing and went rekordbox so it would be nice to b2b easier on the same machine.

Decisions....