Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FutureCop posted:

Good to know: more generous than I thought, mayhaps a bit too generous, but hey, I usually like being able to ignore all the bizarre gear stats (great, I get 2% more chance for ignite to proc if it's a full moon and the enemy is electric element...wait, this isn't even a fire weapon!)

While we're at this, was curious if anyone had some opinions on some of my odder choices for potential Summer Sale games:

Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection: Wondering whether this is a good port, and curious whether someone has a better recommendation for a Mega Man Zero-ish game instead.

I can’t say if the PC port specifically is good or not, but I can confirm they did a great job with the collection overall. They actually redid the games from scratch rather than dumping the ROMs in a container like most collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So does every musou game on Steam kind of suck? I used to love Dynasty Warriors games but it seems the only things available are the bad new ones, crappy PC ports of the old ones, and anime ones I'm not interested in.

Most musou games since DW8XL kind of suck. It's really disappointing.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

"anime cringe quotient" please never talk about anime again

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aurora posted:

Nah, they're right though.
Different anime requires varying thresholds of cringe tolerance. Exposure to high levels of anime without sufficient anime tolerance can have disastrous side-effects, including but not limited to involuntary trying to stab nearest utensils into ones eyes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Aurora posted:

Please never talk again, period.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anime...

was a mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6Cp2cB-30

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mordja posted:

you first babe

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordja posted:

they're right and it's extremely gbs to get worked up over anime stylings in tyool 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Relax. They weren't attacking your precious animes, they were just trying to feel out if a purchase was right for them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the most problematic aspect of the "anime cringe quotient" measurement is that falsely implies that some portion of a work may remain non-cringe

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
simply accept the cringe and invite it into yourself. allow it to permeate your being entirely

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
dont play rabi-ribi though
i bought it because it was a metroidvania but the platforming combat outside of boss fights was so dull I couldn't bring myself to keep playing

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There are at least 3-4 distinct circles of anime hell and it's worth asking which one to expect

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

dont play rabi-ribi though
i bought it because it was a metroidvania but the platforming combat outside of boss fights was so dull I couldn't bring myself to keep playing

i thought exploring was pretty fun but you also will probably die a lot even doing that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The animeness depends on the amount of ahego weeb grunts in the game

E: Wait this isn't the final fantasy thread?

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 12, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So does every musou game on Steam kind of suck? I used to love Dynasty Warriors games but it seems the only things available are the bad new ones, crappy PC ports of the old ones, and anime ones I'm not interested in.
I don't know any specifics about the Steam port, but Warriors Orochi 3 was great on PS3/Vita.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

instead of saying "how anime is this game", it'd be more accurate to say "does it have weird fanservice" because that's all people are really asking

no different than talking about, yknow, actual anime shows. just a vibe check

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
those questions mean the same thing unless you are really defensive about liking anime

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

those questions mean the same thing unless you are really defensive about liking anime
i'm generally against generalizations (this could be a TMBG lyric)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
how anime is the witcher 3

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't watch anime--don't even particularly like anime--but I will fight to the death your right to consume it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

3/10
There's only a couple of disgusting big-eyed small-bodied creatures.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the first witcher is the fanservicey one right. it has... the Sex Cards

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Witcher 2 and 3 were worse games for not having the sex cards

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks for the input on Rabi-Ribi everyone: sorry for starting a big anime fight!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

simply accept the cringe and invite it into yourself. allow it to permeate your being entirely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzi8TiGJqCc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I felt the same as Woolie there when I heard that.

People should compare THAT poo poo to something like Black Lagoon and tell me with a straight face that one doesn't require more cringe tolerance than the other.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Way too anime for my tastes, made it hard to make progress.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hogama posted:

Way too anime for my tastes, made it hard to make progress.

I bet it did :wiggle:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo. River City Girls 2, a game with practically mandatory grinding having a higher difficulty where not only do the enemies get harder but they also drop significantly less money, prolonging the grinding multiplicatively, is one of the most stupidest and/or malicious features I've ever seen in a game.

Game goes out of it's way to waste your time if you decide to not play on baby difficulty.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was never too interested in XCOM Chimera Squad so I never bought it but heads up that if you're like me and have all the other XCOM games but not Chimera Squad, the Xcom Ultimate Collection bundle (containing only Chimera Squad) only costs 81 cents.

e: I'm glad I waited until it was under $1 :colbert: It feels like a weird xcom mobile game, not a fan.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 12, 2023

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Controller Chat

I've bought 8BitDo SN30pro+ roughly 2 years ago and yesterday when playing a game the rubber cap on one of the analog sticks just broke. I've basically only used it to play ~200 hours of Elden Ring, I don't know if that counts as too much, but if has literally never happen to me before with any other controller (the original Xbox one, DualShock 4, Switch Pro Controller, DualSense) and I've had most of them for that long or more.

Now, there are replacement caps on the official shop (with a huge "SHOP.8BITDO.COM EXCLUSIVE" label like that is a loving good thing for a replacement part) but they cost $3 and since I'm not from the US the shipping alone is $5.99 :suicide:. They apparently used to send these out for free but not anymore. I don't have anything to substantiate this claim but I will just assume it's because this probably happens a lot? It kind of sucks because it's a decent controller, has replaceable battery (!!!) and can connect via several different modes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They ship em out from China. I am in the US and had to pay $10 shipping for the things. (e: or maybe it was also 6.99 for $10 total price)
I dunno what you mean by the rubber cap "breaking" but I had the rubber coating on the rim of the thumbstick eventually wear through so part of the bare plastic underneath it was exposed. Didn't really get in the way except the weird texture was annoying and distracting.
Anyways the replacements came in a set of two. Now my second thumbstick is wearing out ~10 months later and I can't for the life of me figure out where I left the dang extra one. But the replacement stick still looks good as new, so I think they switched to a better more durable material for them or something. (It also feels a bit harder and less rubbery to the touch.)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 12, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Aurora posted:

please never talk about anime again

:hmmyes:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Can we just maybe stop with the Anime Wars every time the subject gets mentioned?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They kinda do sadly. I've yet to come across a decently ported version that doesn't have crappy control issues for the most part.

They also don't work right on the deck graphically.

It's almost like trolling at this point.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Commander Keene posted:

Can we just maybe stop with the Anime Wars every time the subject gets mentioned?

I agree. People will say the crunchyroll subs are good enough but if you really want to enjoy Anime Wars (or アニメーションバトル) you're just gonna have to learn Japanese, and you're not gonna do that, are you? Pointless.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Geralt is a lone wandering master swordsman with silver hair and cat features, more grim yet honorable than all the dumb sheeples around him, traveling the world to get in card duels and bone down on witch babes until he can finally find his purple-eyed tsundere waifu

basically the only thing missing is that he's not a teenager

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 12, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was never too interested in XCOM Chimera Squad so I never bought it but heads up that if you're like me and have all the other XCOM games but not Chimera Squad, the Xcom Ultimate Collection bundle (containing only Chimera Squad) only costs 81 cents.

e: I'm glad I waited until it was under $1 :colbert: It feels like a weird xcom mobile game, not a fan.

Chimera Squad is actually quite solid. The early game is a bit annoying because you don't have the tools and are forced to take shots, but after a few upgrades it becomes fun XCOM-lite without the need to worry about the strategy layer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm holding out for the twink DLC personally

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 12, 2023