Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh wait whoops that wasn't voxel doom, i could've sworn there was a project that was attempting something similar out there

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah but that moment at 17 seconds or so where she rotates the 2D sprite and it gets like 95% of the way there with making it accurately depict the figure being rotated despite being a flat thing, that was insane to me

like how do you even do that without procedural AI poo poo, making it understand what the fairly sparse number of pixels are representing and turn it into a 3D rotatable construct apparently on the fly like she shows, unless I'm missing something?

they're understandably vague about it, but what they've said in the comments is that it attempts to calculate per-bone depth data using educated guesses and then display them via UE4 shaders. i'm assuming it uses something like lightness/saturation to try and predict depth, similar to the depth models that stuff like controlnet uses in stable diffusion, though likely with less computational power required thanks to it being pixel art

some programs like spine have been able to fake 3D reasonably well for 2D art for a while via mesh layouts and clever mathematical deformation, so i'm guessing this is the next evolution of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I said come in! posted:

I played 0 for the first time this year too, and am in agreement with you. Game is amazing.

Same, and I probably owned it for like 2 years in a sale before actually starting it :negative:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
rf5 is the best the series has been as like, a game, but the writing is a lot less fun than 3 and 4, yeah, and that's usually the main draw.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

hell loving yeah I knew with the announcement of Super Mario RPG Remake that Jonny would go nuts on a cover of some sort for it, and he did not disappoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53R9x58XOvc&hd=1

:five::five::five::five::five::five:

This slaps so hard

PlushCow posted:

Same, and I probably owned it for like 2 years in a sale before actually starting it :negative:

Yak0 is easily a Top 10 GOAT game for me.

I always love that Kuze's theme changes the last time you see them, cause they're fighting you as equals - and not beating you down like a punk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59CAI-CbUA

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a goon consensus on whether the Steam Deck or Asus Ally is better, or is this one of those contentious topics that people are gonna fight over?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Argue posted:

Is there a goon consensus on whether the Steam Deck or Asus Ally is better, or is this one of those contentious topics that people are gonna fight over?

I think the goon consensus is «the Asus what?» Never heard of it before.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Is that the one that’s called like Rog? ROG? If it is Jeff Gerstmann of the Jeff Gerstmann Show said it’s a piece of junk with junky Armour Crate software and overheats to the point where it warps and the sd card falls out but it has a nice screen.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ugh... that's troublesome because the Steam Deck isn't officially out here where I live and you have to go through a third party reseller; the big draw of the ROG Ally for me is that it's an official release and so has an actual 2 year warranty that you can fulfill without dealing with sending it abroad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Steam Deck from what i've been able to tell from what goons have said, and others have said on the internet, is the more well rounded handheld console. Less powerful, but balanced well between performance, build quality, software stability, and flexibility in how you use it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Argue posted:

I have a Steam Dreck and it is a truly excellent bit of kit. I have a huge steam library and because the whole thing is designed and maintained by Valve I can trust them saying 'this game works' because like a console they have to make sure it works for one specific system.

Not only that but it is running on steam's version of linux which has less of an overhead for this stuff than the windows you would get on the Asus Ally - and probably a better battery life due to the way it has been designed to run.

There are also a ton of plugins for it which help you get games not valve supported working - like the proton DB which will display badges on the game page telling you if it is platinum (works out the box), gold (most likely works, may have to choose a different version of proton), silver (will probably have to change proton, maybe a different control scheme), bronze (I would not try).

I would seriously recommend the Steam Dreck more than the Ally because it has the full support of Valve and the community can assist with so much stuff, whereas the Ally looks like just a regular windows machine but you can hold it in your hands.

Other fun things I have are a plugin that plays the main theme of the game when I am on the page, cool artwork changing for the library so I can use some really fun box art and such, power modulation so I can tell the deck how much of the battery to assign to what to make certain games last longer (do not need full power for a game like Timespinner for example but do for Forza Horizon 4 - both of which work perfectly).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i have both - tl;dr: deck for fuss-free gaming + longer battery life, ally for much better screen and game compatibility

people tend to overlook that game compatibility for the deck is spotty - i'm playing dragon age inquisition and the deck doesn't handle controller support for it (at least the last time i tried) while the ally works. also, i get to play my pc game pass, epic game store, and blizzard games without doing to do any workarounds

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just finished the BG3 early access chapter and am going to try to squeeze in Octopath Traveler II between now and August 3rd.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Apparently they're adding like 30% new dialogue and stuff to the opening chapter for release

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

I just finished the BG3 early access chapter and am going to try to squeeze in Octopath Traveler II between now and August 3rd.

do you think you can keep up the pace and then completely double back in 3 weeks?

good luck, gamer :patriot:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There are many gamers for whom playing three 60+ hour RPGs back-to-back would be completely exhausting. They are weak, unlike me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will be back home in a little over a week and it will be FF16 into Baldur's Gate 3 probably

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Is that the one that’s called like Rog? ROG? If it is Jeff Gerstmann of the Jeff Gerstmann Show said it’s a piece of junk with junky Armour Crate software and overheats to the point where it warps and the sd card falls out but it has a nice screen.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlazingUninterestedBeanUncleNox-pUsBSeuXtq10EnKH

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Argue posted:

Nah for most recommendations people are gonna say the Deck. There are specific instances where the Ally is a better choice (If you need something beefier to play AAA games or if you play a lot of multiplayer so you want something running Windows to not get locked out by anti-cheat stuff and you don't wanna take the time to install Windows on a deck, etc) but as a general rule the Deck is the way to go.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will be back home in a little over a week and it will be FF16 into Baldur's Gate 3 probably

I've got about a week long break between games, but i'm probably going to end up playing Pikmin 4 into BG3.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I reached archon in dota 2 last night which means those 7000 hours were well invested and I can now claim to be an average dota player instead of below average

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I reached archon in dota 2 last night which means those 7000 hours were well invested and I can now claim to be an average dota player instead of below average

hell yeah congrats

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

hell yeah congrats

Thank you ShallNoiseUpon!

Hate to perpetuate a dota stereotype but I got fed up supporting and started slamming carry with Muerta and Juggernaut every game. Had 2 rampages this week. WOOOOOOOO

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Thank you ShallNoiseUpon!

Hate to perpetuate a dota stereotype but I got fed up supporting and started slamming carry with Muerta and Juggernaut every game. Had 2 rampages this week. WOOOOOOOO

sometimes you just have to slay, until you realize you're very bad at it and then go back to playing support.

not that i would know anything about this.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

JollyBoyJohn posted:

they claimed to have retooled the whole ranking system, and I'm slightly curious what my rank would be, but I just can't bring myself to play ranked again.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

bone emulator posted:

they claimed to have retooled the whole ranking system, and I'm slightly curious what my rank would be, but I just can't bring myself to play ranked again.

They did, most of my herald friends got pushed up to crusader, 2 of my 5k friends lost like 400-600 mmr.

It's probably not a good reason to go back to ranked dota, certainly not bigger than my 2 biggest reasons - friends and weed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why not use normal rank names instead these generic fantasy titles. Archon is above crusader is above herald is above berserker is above shadowdancer is above titan is above is warlord is above godrick the grafted

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

As far as I'm aware all of the tekken ranks are completely accurate to real life martial arts

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

Why not use normal rank names instead these generic fantasy titles. Archon is above crusader is above herald is above berserker is above shadowdancer is above titan is above is warlord is above godrick the grafted

Because where do you go after bronze silver gold

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

This is an intentional obfuscation. People don't like to be in "bronze" but being a "crusader" is fine

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

platinum and then further into the rare earths

This weekend I'm going to grind out my upgrade from tellurium to ytterbium

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

This is an intentional obfuscation. People don't like to be in "bronze" but being a "crusader" is fine

but everyone knows the rank hierarchy anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Very easy. Bronze < Silver < Gold < Platinum < Diamond < Meteorium < Truesteel

MMF Freeway posted:

Makes sense. Still not what I would prefer. Hearthstone does bronze-silver-gold-platinum-diamond-legend (each with "subranks" numbered from 10 to 1) and i think that's great

I don't play pvp

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

but everyone knows the rank hierarchy anyway

sure but it subtly changes how people feel about them. same reason they've starting calling easy modes "explorer" or "story" for instance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Real game difficulties are quotes indicating how much you need your mommy or how ready you are for bloated HP bars

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

crypto

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I miss when the easy difficulties were named like "I'm a Widdle Baby Pwease Don't Huwwt Me." I thought it was funny.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MMF Freeway posted:

sure but it subtly changes how people feel about them. same reason they've starting calling easy modes "explorer" or "story" for instance.

They should call them baby mode, normal mode, and gamer mode instead

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

They should call them baby mode, normal mode, and gamer mode instead

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In re4make the description of hard mode is like "for those that have played RE4 before". well I've played RE4 a lot so I picked it and uhh no capcom this is not the same game, too hard!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I miss low effort easy modes like Mickley mouse's Castle of illusion which ended after the first 2 levels on easy