Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I've been having fun with Brotato but it doesn't have its hooks into me the way VS did. I'm kinda looking for what might be that next fix. Looking at Halls of Torment but I'm not sure it'll be fun. I think I'd really enjoy another game with nutty metaprogression like VS, but overall what are people thinking most highly of these days? I've only played VS, Brotato, Holocure, and a few demos a few months back.

e - oh and some Project Lazarus.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Army of Ruin

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Brotato really yearns for Flash era vector graphics, getting all stretched and squashed.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

halls of torment is really fun but does not currently have enough maps or characters to play on imo. but it feels and plays great and rarely fails to be interesting. there is something very compelling about the upgrades in brotato that makes the gameplay more interesting to me, but halls of torment is worth a few bucks if you like this type of simple game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The "upgrades" in Brotato are actually a huge part of what makes it uncompelling to me. The more you unlock, the worse the RNG gets. It's actually reverse metaprogression.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Halls of tourney is big on aesthetic but slowwwww

army of ruin is really good but does not seem to quite get to the levels of batshit as some of the other games in the category

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

K8.0 posted:

The "upgrades" in Brotato are actually a huge part of what makes it uncompelling to me. The more you unlock, the worse the RNG gets. It's actually reverse metaprogression.

idk, most of them are quite strong and the game heavily skews rolls toward giving you items that work with your build if you don't do some scatterbrained bullshit.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The way HoT does equipment is something I really enjoy but it takes way too long to start seeing the charm of that system. It needs to frontload more stuff and also second it needing more maps, but I feel like it has some of the better potential in the genre.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I appreciate that Halls of Torment commits to, and fairly nails, the late 90s fantasy CRPG aesthetic.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The one thing I'd really like HoT to do is have an upgrade that lets you send two items up the well. If you're playing the game a ton it's not a big deal, but when you're playing other games too it's just slow enough to feel annoying.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

RBX posted:

Army of Ruin

i love army of ruin but i wouldnt say it has "nutty metaprogression." its pretty standard stuff.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

K8.0 posted:

i understand what you mean but i don't see it that way. i get upgrades all the way on wave 19 that are equally as powerul as upgrades i got on wave 3.

edit: to expand on this, part of the game of brotato is understanding what upgrades are valuable at the beginning that won't be valuable nearer the end, because they have a compounding effect over time. like harvesting. it's worthless on wave 19, but if you pick that early it does have a significant effect on your game. you can figure this out just from understanding what harvesting, a basic mechanic of the game, is. that's what i like about brotato.

MMAgCh posted:

I appreciate that Halls of Torment commits to, and fairly nails, the late 90s fantasy CRPG aesthetic.

if this sounds cool to you buy halls of torment for sure.

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 11, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MMAgCh posted:

It's Diablo 1 but zoomed out and it puts more enemies on screen, so everything is dialed back a bit compared to it.

The first hour of that game is slow, it is boring. I'm so glad the prelude/demo progress carried over to the paid release, because it needs some meta-progression for things to get going. Eventually you reach the point where after the first 10 minutes you won't lose unless you are needlessly risky. Transfixion is usually a must tho, so the final boss fights on the second and third map don't take forever.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Awesome! posted:

i love army of ruin but i wouldnt say it has "nutty metaprogression." its pretty standard stuff.

Nothing has touched the king yet sadly ......but we're gonna keep chasing that high we got from VS!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Most are sensible and don't go as crazy as VS because it drives the engine (even the new one) to its knees, begging to be put out of its misery, as it drops down to real minutes per game second. This is, of course, part of the charm of VS, but it's also not always possible to do without inviting an unacceptable risk of crashes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

K8.0 posted:

I haven't found this. My problem with Brotato is how impactful the tailoring in the game is (and the unlocks tend to be pretty rare). It's this black box that effectively decides your run that you have zero interaction with. The game would have a lot more replay value for me with less tailoring but more shop slots, or one extra tailored slot. If you start with a crystal weapon the game decides that you'll only ever see crystal weapons for the rest of the game, which I guess is balanced but it's really not what you want.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Onean posted:

The one thing I'd really like HoT to do is have an upgrade that lets you send two items up the well. If you're playing the game a ton it's not a big deal, but when you're playing other games too it's just slow enough to feel annoying.

I’m annoyed that if you beat a level with stuff you have in your bag it doesn’t extract with you as unlocked. I have most of the gear but having to leave behind potion capacity upgrades stinks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RBX posted:

Nothing has touched the king yet sadly ......but we're gonna keep chasing that high we got from VS!

I actually like the ones with more bite, balls of torment (not fixing) is more my speed

not a lot of those though, outside ones with unintentional difficulty via bad scaling and general design (sup soul stone survivors)

in general a lot seem to be wholesale copying VS without committing to over the top scaling or their own unique gameplay which is the worst of all worlds

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Yeah, VS is just a goofy and fun, totally non-serious and mindless game that is addictively paced and not afraid of breaking itself. Everything else that isn't a cheap asset flip has kind of taken the approach of serious mechanics and deeper progression with more polish which I simply don't enjoy as much.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Play Boneraiser Minions. I cannot stress this enough.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pope Guilty posted:

Play Boneraiser Minions. I cannot stress this enough.

I have stalled on this one. Just can't seem to be doing any progress after unlocking everything that looked like a useful power up and trying different minion combinations and even trying some of the enemy power ups to see if the extra resources from more enemies helped. Trying to get better at dashing and being able to see the enemy outlines helped to reach later waves, but not much more than that.

And I'm kind of losing interest because of that. After I figured out the initial growing pains with VS or Holocure I just could basically do any build with a little experimentation. With BM I'm completely stalled.

Help?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can do a proper effort post later especially if you have a specific Boneraiser to request but as much fun and options as Boneraiser Minions has you'll eventually realize which are better and need to aggressively pursue them, especially in relic picking, spell use, architecture set-up and limited Big Boners slots. Anything else is a luxury or even a liability. You either have 500+ Max HP or you don't when a gold meanie touches you for .5 seconds. If your build is substandard you'll be shown the door about six waves into NG+1, three waves into NG+2.

NOTHING is as important as learning to dash gud. I can't speak to super dashing because I almost never use it but I think you can see why I'll virtually always take +dash boots or +dash mushroom. Things like that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also experiment with different classes and find one that clicks with what comes naturally out just what interests you. If you like the idea of ramming enemies and summoning bats a lot, play the vampire, for example. It's way easier to branch out into the other classes once you've got good at a particular class. Or at least that's what worked for me.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hell Yeah posted:

if this sounds cool to you buy halls of torment for sure.

Mierenneuker posted:

It's Diablo 1 but zoomed out and it puts more enemies on screen, so everything is dialed back a bit compared to it.

The first hour of that game is slow, it is boring. I'm so glad the prelude/demo progress carried over to the paid release, because it needs some meta-progression for things to get going. Eventually you reach the point where after the first 10 minutes you won't lose unless you are needlessly risky. Transfixion is usually a must tho, so the final boss fights on the second and third map don't take forever.
I've already put a few hours into the free prologue. Got too much going on otherwise currently to justify buying the entire thing, but out of the VS-likes I've tried it is one of the more appealing titles for sure.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have a VS question.

How do I survive to 31 minutes in Gallo Tower for the achievement?

I did it just fine in Inlaid Library by using the clock lancet and laurel. The same strat doesn't work in GT because of the second Death (who can still be frozen) and more importantly, the water level that begins to rise.

Do I have to craft the unique evos in that stage to get this done?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There aren't any unique evos in Gallo? The evolved clock lancet and laurel are great for dealing w/ end-of-round Death, but you can get the components on any map.

Blue (raising water) Death can be hit and killed by conventional weapons, as long as you account for him always keeping a certain distance away from you. Knife and evolved axe can hit him.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Hello Sailor posted:

There aren't any unique evos in Gallo? The evolved clock lancet and laurel are great for dealing w/ end-of-round Death, but you can get the components on any map.

Blue (raising water) Death can be hit and killed by conventional weapons, as long as you account for him always keeping a certain distance away from you. Knife and evolved axe can hit him.

I guess I was referring to the evolved lancet & laurel.

The problem is I find I have to beeline it to both corners of the map to collect the components, which takes me 15-20 minutes and in that time I'm 2/3rds the level I should be, I then can't recover from there. I got to minute 31 easily the first time I tried this by just playing naturally, but found I couldn't get past Red Death and the water level bullshit from Blue Death.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
See if you can get 31 minutes in Mad Forest instead, that will reward you an arcanum which solves the problem of running around to collect stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

HoT's slow movement feels really bad coming from VS, BM, and Spellbook Demonslayers, but I keep going back for another run so I expect I'll keep at it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Anti-Hero posted:

I guess I was referring to the evolved lancet & laurel.

The problem is I find I have to beeline it to both corners of the map to collect the components, which takes me 15-20 minutes and in that time I'm 2/3rds the level I should be, I then can't recover from there. I got to minute 31 easily the first time I tried this by just playing naturally, but found I couldn't get past Red Death and the water level bullshit from Blue Death.

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd highly suggest taking Wings on that map to get everything. Even if you have to give up an evolution to do it. Doing it on Hyper, but not Hurry, for the move speed buff also works (or do both).

Or do this and use the Arcana it gives you:

Swilo posted:

See if you can get 31 minutes in Mad Forest instead, that will reward you an arcanum which solves the problem of running around to collect stuff.

Pope Guilty posted:

HoT's slow movement feels really bad coming from VS, BM, and Spellbook Demonslayers, but I keep going back for another run so I expect I'll keep at it.

I felt the same way, until I put some gold into the move speed blessing and sometimes take a move speed during level up. There's also a ring you can get, Guiding Star, that significantly increases either your attack speed when standing still or your move speed when moving. It's unlocked through walking 100,000 meters as an Archer. You can get really speedy with a combination of those.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
VS just got trading cards on Steam, in case you want to sell them for a few more pennies off the purchase price :v:

They also confirmed the new engine will be standard as of the co-op patch on August 17th.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Age old story - complain about it on the internet and get it on the next try (the 31 minute clear). I did it with out the evolved lancet & laurel: I got all the goodies leveled up right before Death spawned, and just needed a couple of chests for the items. I'll get them on a dedicated run.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Saoshyant posted:

I have stalled on this one. Just can't seem to be doing any progress after unlocking everything that looked like a useful power up and trying different minion combinations and even trying some of the enemy power ups to see if the extra resources from more enemies helped. Trying to get better at dashing and being able to see the enemy outlines helped to reach later waves, but not much more than that.

And I'm kind of losing interest because of that. After I figured out the initial growing pains with VS or Holocure I just could basically do any build with a little experimentation. With BM I'm completely stalled.

Help?

Enemy power ups are VERY important to reach later waves; the more enemies and waves that spawn, the more bones you get

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Another coming branch out of hopeful promise by a prior existing dev:

Let Them Come: Onslaught

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2050800/Let_Them_Come_Onslaught/

quote:

In Let Them Come: Onslaught, your survival depends on your ability to fend off a relentless offensive of alien creatures using a combination of strategy and skill. With rogue-lite elements in play, each playthrough will have different challenges and rewards, making it a unique experience every time.

As you progress, you will expand your arsenal of abilities, allowing you to take on even more formidable foes and progress further in each match. The game offers a thrilling sci-fi horror experience that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

MAIN FEATURES
AUTO BATTLER - Focus all your attention on positioning and strategic upgrade choices, the weapons fire automatically.
DEEP REPLAYABILITY - Every playthrough is different based on the choices you make. Expand your arsenal by playing the game and customize your loadout between battles by accessing the armory.
VFX BONANZA - LTC:O uses Unreal engine to great effect. Bask in the destruction your weapons create while battling the alien horde.
SCI FI SETTING - As a brand new game set in the Let Them Come universe, LTC:O will expand on the lore and offer new insights into this harsh universe.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hit up 20 Minutes Till Dawn to get the 1.0 achievements. Flanne made the skill balance better, the new weapons are good and there's great surprises for higher darkness and some enemies. Good stuff. I threw a few of my wishes into my steam review and two came true including the trees getting up to kill your rear end so I'm very happily surprised. Good game!

Plowed through Her Name Was Fire. It's painfully average. Some nice boss design, nothing too good about the rest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
20 minutes til dawn is strange because it has about as much content and variety as you'd expect from a $5 game. it's a good budget game. the rest of the games in the genre are the strange ones.

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

Some more Brotato stuff: I played Streamer for the first time in a while and good lord, I hate this character. To win, you need to 1. Not move, and 2. Save money between rounds. Both of those things are incredibly boring and go against all of my instincts. Plus, there's an extreme power curve where you either snowball out of control or fall behind with no hope of catching up. I'm actually going to rank him as harder than Soldier in terms of pure win rate. Definitely my least favorite character to play.

And maybe Farmer is harder than Entrepeneur. I just really hate that Entrepeneur starts with less materials than any other character on the first round, so I can't even buy two weapons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I put a good 3 hours into HoT yesterday and I like it but I don’t care for the level upgrades much. Like getting .1 health regeneration is just kinda meh.

I realize upgrades are cumulative but sometimes they just don’t feel meaningful at all.

I also put a good 3 hours into 20 minutes till dawn and I really like it but am I missing something or is there no way to heal the hearts? I got an upgrade that gave a bonus every time you healed but in all the runs I’ve never gotten any healing lol

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
A couple of the upgrade paths have a "heal for every 300 kills with this element" stuck in there. I think fire and maybe holy. No random drops with heals. There's also a meta upgrade that gives a heal every 10(?) levels.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Red Minjo posted:

A couple of the upgrade paths have a "heal for every 300 kills with this element" stuck in there. I think fire and maybe holy. No random drops with heals.

Ok thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going crazy with that one.

Game is pretty good though for 3.50 I like the music.