Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
plangdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

behnamoh 18 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I’m curious: what’s the alternative to ads then? How do you find new stuff that you might need?

same thread:

flangola7 15 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

>what’s the alternative to ads then? How do you find new stuff that you might need?
How did it we accomplish it for the earlier 99.99% of human history?

vikramkr 4 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

The earlier 99 percent of human history was pretty garbage. Ads are pretty garbage too but I really don't get why people keep doing this thing where they're like "well how did we manage in the past?" In the past we just died of war and disease and stuff. The past is awful.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
tfw you invade another country because you don’t know the new iphone 14 comes in Starlight

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Putin just needed more ads

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

When I'm looking into buying something I always google "best ads for washing machines" to find the product I need.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I simply never buy anything until an ad tells me to

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

convalescindrey 16 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: YouTube is testing a more aggressive approach agai...

> In my late 30s, I went serious about getting ads out of my life.
Have you also cut everything out of your life that's financed through ads? So I'm expecting you to not use any Facebook, Google, Twitter, Youtube or other modern web content.
I agree that ads are manipulative. That's their very essence. But they exist for a reason. Not to enrich people, but the uphold one side of a bargin. You can't expect everything to be for free.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Can't wait for the hn types to invent smart social contracts.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

placesalt 11 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I'm absolutely sure they've thought of this, but I do wonder why they don't just divert the rivers around it and mine the entire place like an open-pit mine. Cart the square km or two of material off to some processing location and be done with it. It'd likely cost less than what's been spent already.
Again, I'm sure this has been thought of and rejected for a good reason. Still, doing it piecemeal doesn't seem to be working.

guess the river: the Columbia

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
haha i hope the responses are all “divert it to where exactly”

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
mcpackieh 18 minutes ago | next [–]

Calling the reddit mods landed gentry was a stroke of genius. Perfectly calibrated to get under the mods' skin and piss them off, while at the same time driving a wedge between them and the various commoners who already had innumerable personal grudges against the mods. It undermined the perceived legitimacy of the mods and provoked the mods to react emotionally at the same time, making the mods play the victim while simultaneously reminding the commoners who the real victims of the system really were.

zouhair 9 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

The thing is if the mods stopped modding the site will crumble and fast.

shitlord 3 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's what mods have been saying the past few weeks, but somehow the site is working fine without them. It turns out that most of them don't add a lot of value and are easily replaceable.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mr.Radar posted:

mcpackieh 18 minutes ago | next [–]

Calling the reddit mods landed gentry was a stroke of genius. Perfectly calibrated to get under the mods' skin and piss them off, while at the same time driving a wedge between them and the various commoners who already had innumerable personal grudges against the mods. It undermined the perceived legitimacy of the mods and provoked the mods to react emotionally at the same time, making the mods play the victim while simultaneously reminding the commoners who the real victims of the system really were.

zouhair 9 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

The thing is if the mods stopped modding the site will crumble and fast.

shitlord 3 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's what mods have been saying the past few weeks, but somehow the site is working fine without them. It turns out that most of them don't add a lot of value and are easily replaceable.

ah the twitter theory

let’s see how that works out for everyone

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
time for some game theory folks

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
vollkornbrot 5 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Threads, an Instagram App

Might elon be damagin twitter to help mark push this?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

optimalsolver 1 hour ago | next [–]

These glimpses of powerful, future anti-aging treatments is why AGI research must not be slowed down under any circumstances. Immortality is in sight.
I have to say, it's annoying to have been born before radical life-extending technology becomes available, but late enough in the timeline to consider it an actual possibility

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luctct 22 hours ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: Sao Paulo: A city with no outdoor advertisements (...

I refuse to waste my time on anyone who defends Duchamp and Warhol (notice the spelling) or anyone who says "dialectical dialogue." Your poor education shows very clearly.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

fritz posted:

Luctct 22 hours ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: Sao Paulo: A city with no outdoor advertisements (...

I refuse to waste my time on anyone who defends Duchamp and Warhol (notice the spelling) or anyone who says "dialectical dialogue." Your poor education shows very clearly.

that thread really ticks me off

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hospitalJail 7 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Its one of the primal needs.
Its why some companies are so effective at selling Veblen goods to status seekers.
When I was growing up, I got abercrombie/american eagle because it was cool to girls. Today teens get Apple/Nike products.
Not that any of these actually change your status, but the marketers were able to sell that idea/feeling.
As an adult, you see people buying/leasing Tesla's or more expensive cars to do the same thing.
People desperate for social acceptance, which leads to girls, will pay anything. I get it, I used to spend half my time looking for girls before I got married. (other half of my time school, presumably so I could always get a gold digger if need be.)
Can you tell I was ugly growing up? (Lift weights my pals, it changed everything)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Unless this is a thing I've never heard of before, I think I found a new kind of loon.

quote:

DoreenMichele 9 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Perhaps. But if you don't want to be a statistic counted among the dead in the next heat wave, I recommend taking your trash out, getting rid of cardboard, etc to make the temp and humidity in your space more bearable.

quote:

headsupernova 5 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Can you explain the cardboard part?

quote:

DoreenMichele 1 minute ago | root | parent | next [–]

During my divorce, I and my two teenaged sons moved in with relatives and the three of us occupied a single bedroom for nearly a year. We slept there, we kept all our possessions there and we stored SOME of the food we ate in that room, separate from the kitchen pantry for the rest of the family.
This was in Georgia, which is very hot and humid in the summer, and initially we had trouble sleeping because the room just stayed too hot and humid, especially when it was warm.

I have no idea why we did this, but one day we took all the cans of sodas out of the cardboard boxes and threw the boxes out and took other food items out of the cardboard boxes and repackaged some of it in Ziploc bags. And suddenly the room was cool and dry enough to be comfortable.

We thought we were imagining this. Like "Noooo, that can't be."

But there happened to be a thermometer in the window of this room and on subsequent occasions we were able to determine by repeating this that the temperature consistently dropped five degrees Fahrenheit whenever we removed all the cardboard from the food supplies stored in our room.

So it eventually became policy to take everything out of the cardboard box and throw away the cardboard box right after we got all the groceries home. We STILL do this.

Removing cardboard, etc, drops the temperature and humidity and most likely it is because cardboard et al is more or less slowly rotting. Kind of the same reason hay bails catch fire.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
not sure about that one, doreen

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

zo1 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Dashcam images reveal where police are deployed

No. The big question is whether we want to live in a society that requires the police to randomly stop and frisk people in order to stop crime. There is crime, I don't think anyone can dispute that.
Honestly, I personally have no problem with criminal-looking individuals being stopped and frisked in high-crime areas. And I say this as someone that's been profiled as a white person in a black country, and held at gunpoint by assault-rifle wielding police.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
agreed, stop and frisk every white dude in a suit on wall street

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Jabor posted:

agreed, stop and frisk every white dude in a suit on wall street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvrGHsjD7g&pp=ygUad29uZGVyIHNob3d6ZW4gd2FsbCBzdHJlZXQ%3D

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

zo1 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: The internet's “town square” is dead

You could maybe argue they weren't pushing a leftist agenda, sure. But they conveniently didn't fight for freedom of speech either. They were just very comfortable so long as the prevailing opinion on the wider media matched their beliefs. The "right" doesn't have this luxury.
Even the fringe left or far-left have a media "free pass" that they enjoy. And no one seems to understand this part of the criticism of the media by the right.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

zo1 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: The internet's “town square” is dead

You could maybe argue they weren't pushing a leftist agenda, sure. But they conveniently didn't fight for freedom of speech either. They were just very comfortable so long as the prevailing opinion on the wider media matched their beliefs. The "right" doesn't have this luxury.
Even the fringe left or far-left have a media "free pass" that they enjoy. And no one seems to understand this part of the criticism of the media by the right.

https://mastodon.social/@snarthelg/110682899945596396

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RyanAdamas 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Tuition costs have risen 710% since 1983

Accreditation Boards
Textbook Publishers
University Tuition
It's a triangle scheme where one feeds the other and it's all fueled by non-dischargeable government loans.
Student Loans are the hill to die on. As someone who isn't eligible for Military Service, I don't get supplemental housing, free healthcare, free college education, hiring preferences, small business loan preferences, nor a lifetime of "OH THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!", and that's if you aren't one of MILLIONS of Veterans gaming the VA disability system.
The military decided asthmatics and ADHD kids will forever be second class citizens because we can't join the drunken sexfest that is modern military service; which has essentially become a daycare for 18-24 year-olds.
It's absolutely unconstitutional for the military to relegate individuals to specific spectrums of society given how they were born. I'm not gay so I guess that doesn't matter. But, who cares? If the Constitution mattered we wouldn't be where we are today.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

RyanAdamas 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Tuition costs have risen 710% since 1983

Accreditation Boards
Textbook Publishers
University Tuition
It's a triangle scheme where one feeds the other and it's all fueled by non-dischargeable government loans.
Student Loans are the hill to die on. As someone who isn't eligible for Military Service, I don't get supplemental housing, free healthcare, free college education, hiring preferences, small business loan preferences, nor a lifetime of "OH THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!", and that's if you aren't one of MILLIONS of Veterans gaming the VA disability system.
The military decided asthmatics and ADHD kids will forever be second class citizens because we can't join the drunken sexfest that is modern military service; which has essentially become a daycare for 18-24 year-olds.
It's absolutely unconstitutional for the military to relegate individuals to specific spectrums of society given how they were born. I'm not gay so I guess that doesn't matter. But, who cares? If the Constitution mattered we wouldn't be where we are today.
Ignoring the insane idea that military service is some sort of risk free pile of cool free stuff and people who aren't able to enlist are somehow being oppressed (lol), does the military even refuse to let people with ADHD enlist? It doesn't seem like it based on two seconds googling

Also do they think don't ask don't tell is still in effect?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mystes posted:

Ignoring the insane idea that military service is some sort of risk free pile of cool free stuff and people who aren't able to enlist are somehow being oppressed (lol)

I'm not American, but when I learned of the phrase "chair force" I looked it up and apparently, throughout the '90s and '00s, airmen had a lower mortality rate than civilians in the same demographic bracket

so I figure if I were to get isekai'd into a late-teens non-rich american (worst isekai ever except for all others), signing up for the air force and declaring "no thank you, I don't want to be a cool top gun pilot I'm happy to be ground crew and get a ton of valuable certifications for free" would be pretty high up in my list of strategies to avoid debt slavery

mystes
May 31, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I'm not American, but when I learned of the phrase "chair force" I looked it up and apparently, throughout the '90s and '00s, airmen had a lower mortality rate than civilians in the same demographic bracket

so I figure if I were to get isekai'd into a late-teens non-rich american (worst isekai ever except for all others), signing up for the air force and declaring "no thank you, I don't want to be a cool top gun pilot I'm happy to be ground crew and get a ton of valuable certifications for free" would be pretty high up in my list of strategies to avoid debt slavery
I imagine there are ways to get cozy/safe gigs in the military if you get into the right branch / know what you're doing / have connections or something but probably if you're in that situation and have sufficient resources to swing that you also don't need to enlist in the military in the first place

I think the people getting the good jobs are usually in families that have a long history of serving in the military, but most of the normal people enlisting are doing it because they're desperate and don't have any other prospects. I think a lot of the better jobs also require people to do stuff other than just showing up and enlisting but I'm not that knowledgeable about it.

I guess whether it ends up being a good idea on the whole also depends on how many wars the US happens to be involved in while people are serving, which is basically a coin flip

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 11, 2023

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

mystes posted:

Ignoring the insane idea that military service is some sort of risk free pile of cool free stuff and people who aren't able to enlist are somehow being oppressed (lol), does the military even refuse to let people with ADHD enlist? It doesn't seem like it based on two seconds googling

the US military refuses to enlist (or commission as an officer) anyone who requires daily medication to live or function, but unscrupulous recruiters often lie about this or get waivers for people that are then immediately revoked, which leads to some pretty horrible situations. I've known people who went off their meds to enlist and were summarily kicked out within months.

also, technically speaking, the FAA bans people who require any DEA scheduled medication (including ADHD meds) from flying or having a pilot's license

e: the air force specifically notes you essentially can never have needed an accommodation of any kind and/or never had it affect you in the last 2 years before signing up:

quote:

If you have been diagnosed by a doctor as having ADD/ADHD, you must meet the following requirements in order to apply:
  • Must have a current note from primary care provider validating stable status of condition with summary of diagnosis, history of treatment and ruling out any residual of ADD/ADHD
  • Must be off medication for a minimum of two years
  • Show evidence of successful academic and work endeavors while off medication
  • Show evidence that assignments or tests were not taken with classroom aids such as private study area, special tutors or additional time for completion

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 11, 2023

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
my stepbrother has (had?) adhd and was in the army, he used to take medication but probably met those requirements or got a waver at the time. i was in the navy because i would've starved to death in my van otherwise, but it was alright. definitely spent a lot of time precluded from drinking or getting laid tho ...

e: i also have student loans lmao

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 12, 2023

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
oh yeah and as mentioned, you can just lie

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

aeons ago when i went to get my driving learners permit i made the mistake of ticking the box on the form and writing in ADHD. had to go to some random GP and get a note from them saying "yeah this dingus is fine let em drive."

jokes on them i never got my license and the last time i drove was drunk and without one!!!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cft 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

USA was doing very well before FTC was created in 1914. In fact, most of American wealth that the US has been riding on, was accumulated before then. Airplane, Ford Model T, etc where all created before then.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

USA was doing very well before FTC was created in 1914. In fact, most of American wealth that the US has been riding on, was accumulated before then. Airplane, Ford Model T, etc where all created before then.

[hacker news voice] there was no ftc when the wheel was invented 6000 years ago

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

"In fact, most of American wealth that the US has been riding on, was accumulated before then" is either so deliberately weaselly or unfathomably stupid.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

it's also very "i think you don't understand that that proves the oposite point that you think it does", i.e. that most of america's wealth is exploitative.

and generational, but whatever i'm not fighting that fight today.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

post hole digger posted:

"In fact, most of American wealth that the US has been riding on, was accumulated before then" is either so deliberately weaselly or unfathomably stupid.

id love to see the justification because it's obviously untrue under any reasonable interpretation.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
my first guess was they were going to claim that by "wealth" they mean gold reserves but the fort knox gold depository was built in 1936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the second half is literally defining what they mean by "wealth"?

They clearly have this typical imaginary american view where America became the technological leader of the world in 1915 through hard work and has remained that way ever since and america's power has absolutely nothing to do with coincidental stuff disconnected from america being the best country in the world like most other developed countries being turbofucked by ww2

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2023