Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It knows your time is running short and is doing you a solid by letting you consume twice as much media before your doom. Sorry.

The problem has just fixed itself without me doing anything so… I guess I did some good deeds and extended my life a bit longer on this dead planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, dodged a bullet and used lost mode for the first time. My phone fell out of my pocket while on a roller coaster today. It was one that went partially over water so I chalked it up as toast and accepted my fate of spending $1000 a couple months before new phones. My wife enabled lost mode on it, and within the hour, someone found it, turned it into the park employees at the ride, and I got it back shortly after when I got a notification that it was found. My case is shredded in one corner so it definitely took a gnarly fall, but the phone is still perfectly intact.

Super loving lucky.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I did finally switch from KeePass to 1Password since I was tired of janitoring my passwords, and figured $60 for a year was perfectly worth paying someone else since I could get my wife to finally use one and we can share logins for streaming poo poo and such.

Welcome to the future.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Question: my wife’s 13 Pro iPhone battery is at 91% and has the usual noticeable less battery life, etc.

Will apple give me any trouble on taking it to the Apple Store and paying $90 to swap it?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’ve heard that Apple is stingy with that if the battery doesn’t actually come out as bad in their diagnostics.

I’ve also heard that it needs to be below 80% for Apple to even consider it.

No clue why they care so much if I feel like paying the $90 they should just do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’ve always assumed they don’t make their typical profit margins on battery swaps between labor and parts.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skeezy posted:

I’ve heard that Apple is stingy with that if the battery doesn’t actually come out as bad in their diagnostics.

I’ve also heard that it needs to be below 80% for Apple to even consider it.

No clue why they care so much if I feel like paying the $90 they should just do it.

Due to the glue based manufacturing on almost all their phones it’s a real pain to do and has a real non-zero percentage chance of breaking the phone.

I got a refurbed / as new replacement when I did a battery swap a while back because they busted the phone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ah okay that makes sense, I didn’t know there’s that big of a potential to mess up the replacement.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

Question: my wife’s 13 Pro iPhone battery is at 91% and has the usual noticeable less battery life, etc.

Will apple give me any trouble on taking it to the Apple Store and paying $90 to swap it?

Nope, it's 80% or bust

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-replacement

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drat this sucks. She has a 13 Pro and I’m hoping to wait for a 15 until upgrading. And for me, I can’t get either of us the new iPhone until mid to late October ish (dumb company policy), so that’s fun.

My 14 Pro is still at 100%, maybe we’ll swap phones for a few months, since I work at home and don’t need the battery as much.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

drat this sucks. She has a 13 Pro and I’m hoping to wait for a 15 until upgrading. And for me, I can’t get either of us the new iPhone until mid to late October ish (dumb company policy), so that’s fun.

My 14 Pro is still at 100%, maybe we’ll swap phones for a few months, since I work at home and don’t need the battery as much.

Get one of those 1000-5000mah tiny power banks and keep it charged along the phone? It’s not nice but it will keep it alive until the 15.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In Safari is it possible to temporarily turn off the “highlight text in an image” thing? I want to long press an image of a logo that’s all text to copy/paste it elsewhere and it will only highlight the text in it.

Copying image text is neat functionality but not when it effectively removes a whole other feature that I’ll use way more often.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Question Mark Mound posted:

In Safari is it possible to temporarily turn off the “highlight text in an image” thing? I want to long press an image of a logo that’s all text to copy/paste it elsewhere and it will only highlight the text in it.

Copying image text is neat functionality but not when it effectively removes a whole other feature that I’ll use way more often.

The whole feature is kind of unruly. Even in the Photos app it doesn't seem like a reliable process to select the subject out of photos.

Feels like one of those "sounded good in a boardroom" deals but doesn't work fantastically in practice

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The public betas for everything Apple are dropping now.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Macichne Leainig posted:

The whole feature is kind of unruly. Even in the Photos app it doesn't seem like a reliable process to select the subject out of photos.

Feels like one of those "sounded good in a boardroom" deals but doesn't work fantastically in practice
Ah yeah that’s annoying too. Sometimes I wanna long press to see the Live Photo animation and the select subject gets in the way of that. Or sometimes I wanna select the subject but the phone has decided that something else is the real subject and doesn’t pick it up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

The public betas for everything Apple are dropping now.

Slick. Will grab for my iOS devices at least.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It may be too early to ask this but how has the battery life been on the 17 betas so far? I've beta tested in years past but I don't want it to destroy my phone's battery this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rageaholic posted:

It may be too early to ask this but how has the battery life been on the 17 betas so far? I've beta tested in years past but I don't want it to destroy my phone's battery this year.

Last one was fairly bad for me (was having to charge my phone after like six hours but the latest seems closer to normal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

The beta's have been fine for me overall.

The buggiest stuff I've seen is on MacOS. I had a 2019 intel iMac and it runs like absolute dogshit. It was work's property anyway, so I ordered a new Mini for myself. Sonoma seems fine on all the ARM stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I haven't installed the beta yet (still trying to decide whether or not I should), but there's a new rapid security update for 16.5.1. Feels like there was just one of those a few days ago, but yeah, now there's another one.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Rageaholic posted:

I haven't installed the beta yet (still trying to decide whether or not I should), but there's a new rapid security update for 16.5.1. Feels like there was just one of those a few days ago, but yeah, now there's another one.

It’s the same one, they pulled it because it broke some websites.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The betas are fine for the most part. Only annoying thing I’ve had so far is the disappearing keyboard thing. Minor bug but no biggie.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

Get one of those 1000-5000mah tiny power banks and keep it charged along the phone? It’s not nice but it will keep it alive until the 15.

Yeah, we actually have a bunch of battery packs so it’s def doable. I just want to have her taken care of. So one of us will be using the battery packs lol.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's nothing on that page that says an out-of-warranty battery replacement needs to be 80% health?

I just got back from the Apple store that swapped my 85% battery on my Mac no questions asked.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

FCKGW posted:

There's nothing on that page that says an out-of-warranty battery replacement needs to be 80% health?

I just got back from the Apple store that swapped my 85% battery on my Mac no questions asked.

It’s one of those “they might but don’t expect it”.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you're going to pay the stated cost for the battery replacement you can do it any any health level.
The Genius might try to talk you out of it if you're at >90.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
Updated my watch and phone to the public beta last night and honestly it barely feels different from iOS 16. It's kind of nice that it seems it's largely a quality of life update but I miss the days when updates were a huge deal. I think my last beta I participated in was for iOS 7 and that was exciting at the time. So far my battery life seems on par for iOS 16 and really the only bug I've encountered is the keyboard bug. All my apps I use for bills, banking, and credit cards work no problem along with my 2FA apps (Duo, Authy).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

17 is definitely a lot of little QoL stuff as opposed to big sweeping changes. I'm guessing since the big thing for Apple is visionOS that all the big updates are going to be on that for a while.

Having the new autocorrect changes and that swipe to reply thing in Messages has been nice imo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s the upgraders dilemma. “I wish they changed stuff more.” “Ugh I hate this major change, just revert it.”

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'll take a smaller update with bug fixes and stuff over a big one with a bunch of stuff that sucks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I kind of see it as phone UX maturity and a good thing. I would be more than fine if the next handful of updates focused on perfomance and using less energy.

Okay maybe they could fix some of the lock screen customization design.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

new OS releases also have new features and improvements for enterprise stuff. Things most users will never think about but are godsends for us who manage these things for work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thinking about people who demanded to downgrade to iOS 6

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The nightstand feature looks legitimately useful and is the biggest thing I miss from my Pixel. Does that only work for the iPhone 14 pro though? Will it keep your display switched on even if you're using a regular iPhone?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only major change they’ve made recently that I can’t stand is the new MacOS Settings app. It sucks poo poo

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

The nightstand feature looks legitimately useful and is the biggest thing I miss from my Pixel. Does that only work for the iPhone 14 pro though? Will it keep your display switched on even if you're using a regular iPhone?

It works on the 13 Pro but without AOD it does eventually turn the display off.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Linus isn't even an Apple guy and he loves iOS 17's new features. They're definitely smaller QoL updates, but I think they add up to a lot. The keyboard certainly feels better.

It's not in the iOS 17 beta, but I'm particularly excited for the Journal app, mainly because I'm too cheap to pony up for DayOne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUOdC2tYzM&t=1s

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 13, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Skeezy posted:

It works on the 13 Pro but without AOD it does eventually turn the display off.

Is it like nightstand mode on the watch where if you bump your night stand it’ll light back up? If not, then lol at having it on anything below a 14.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is it like nightstand mode on the watch where if you bump your night stand it’ll light back up? If not, then lol at having it on anything below a 14.

Yeah it's basically that, I have it on a MagSafe stand rn and if I bump the table it'll come back up.

Edit: Also there's supposed to be this thing with Standby called MagSafe Memory, where it should remember your settings on every stand you use it on.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-ipados-17-first-impressions/

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been tempted to pick up one of these Belkin 3-in-1 Charging Stands just for iOS 17 Nighstand.