Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Some games are harder to mod than others (the first Mass Effect didn’t have a lot of mods because the base code was such a mess) but even at their messiest the 2k games have had some impressive things done with them. So unless the code is really weird I can see at least that much getting done with FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i bet there are 34 people who will put out 1 mod for the aew game, and 5 people who will put out 2 mods. 20 of the mods will replace images in the game and the rest will replace various 3d models. love to be wrong. let's hear it for being wrong

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1678891419073691649?s=20
https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1678891423188279296?s=20

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Ah, so this is why Nintendo goes after modders on YouTube—it's because they are the hardest working developer today.

Because Nintendo is proud of what they create and don't want people changing that. THQ and Yukes were too half-assed and/or incompetent to make a complete game (but still charge $60+) and are cheering on the modding community to do the work for them.

I have no problem with modding. I do have problems when companies profit off of them because there's no incentive to do better next time when modders will just bail them out.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 12, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

okay definitely a complete freak

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mario yelling at kenny omega: oh you say ur for workers rights but you have shown the exact opposite to your modding community

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo is more particular than most (which is why they also move MUCH HARDER on fangames than any other dev/publisher.) Many devs/publishers do embrace their modding community or say "Hey, cool!" and there's one case where someone who made a total conversion mod for Saints Row 2's PC version (which was famously buggy and unstable) ended up getting a job at Volition out of it. Japanese studios tend to be less enthusiastic but usually turn a blind eye.

(Of course Nintendo's games are also exclusive to Nintendo hardware which is why they're a little harsher on modding since that involves digging into the console firmware.)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"nintendo are the good guys." truly radicalized pokemaniac stuff

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
How does Yukes and THQ profit off the modding community? It's not like whatever mods they are making will automatically get updated into the base game lol.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Jubs posted:

Because Nintendo is proud of what they create and don't want people changing that. THQ and Yukes were too half-assed and/or incompetent to make a complete game (but still charge $60+) and are cheering on the modding community to do the work for them.

I have no problem with modding. I do have problems when companies profit off of them because there's no incentive to do better next time when modders will just bail them out.

Can you hear that harmony?
I can hear it in my sleep.
I can hear it even louder in outer space.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they aren't trying to leverage labor to fix a barren game post-release. the game is fine for a first go and they're trying to connect with a small burgeoning community and keep it from dying quickly because they are in the process of continuing to create content for it over the next year or so and hopefully create a loyal userbase. that's how you make money with this sort of product, not wringing your hands as you trick someone into putting Street Fighter clothes in your create a wrestler mode. i see enough of this from people who think bethesda games are so bland because modding will fix it and it's like people don't realize literally less than 5% of users will use mods for any game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cavauro posted:

You pickin a fight with Papa Pikachu, Cav???

Edit: also Cav is 100% on the money with the post above

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no, that was a little thought that popped up and probably isn't relevant. i mean, i doubt that guy is a pokemaniac and if anything it was more like saying nintendo is honorable and their businessmen are artists, rather than good guys. But i know they aren't because they tried to gently caress me

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Right now I imagine most of the devs' attention is focused on the Stadium Stampede thing they're hyping up because it clearly is something they're excited about and also probably is the trickiest thing. I imagine they'll finally have to have dedicated servers for that because there's no way that works P2P.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Long-Time Lurker posted:

How does Yukes and THQ profit off the modding community? It's not like whatever mods they are making will automatically get updated into the base game lol.

When Steam Workshop gets support. Someone posts a clip on TikTok of all the things you can do. It goes viral. Incredibly impressionable kids (which there are a lot of on social media) buy the game. Who's getting the money from that sold game? It's the people who were too cheap to only include 5 face models for their CAW.

Cavauro posted:

they aren't trying to leverage labor to fix a barren game post-release. the game is fine for a first go and they're trying to connect with a small burgeoning community and keep it from dying quickly...

It's been out 2 weeks and people are already having to resort to mods to stay interested or fix basic things that the developer didn't want to do.

Cavauro posted:

...it's like people don't realize literally less than 5% of users will use mods for any game

Because almost all of those games don't need mods to feel complete. This one does.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 12, 2023

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Jubs posted:

When Steam Workshop gets support. Someone posts a clip on TikTok of all the things you can do. It goes viral. Incredibly impressionable kids (which there are a lot of on social media) buy the game. Who's getting the money from that sold game? It's the people who were too cheap to only include 5 face models for their CAW.

Is this an example of something that has happened before though? I've never heard of such cases.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this is what the entire Games forum is like, btw

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Is this an example of something that has happened before though? I've never heard of such cases.

People buying things they see on TikTok?

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Kids shouldn't be buying things they see on TikTok, they should be buying things they see on professional wrestling.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Mods are good, and mod support is good, and in a better world it would not even be a question that it existed wherever possible.

I do also think the game shipped in a pretty unacceptable state for a $60 product, but I was one of the unfortunates who ran into gamebreaking bugs, so it'd be pretty weird if I didn't.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also nobody should post their thoughts about the game or talk about it at all because that’s just letting them exploit you for free marketing

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Jubs posted:

Kids mistakenly buying a game they thought was representative of the modded version they saw on TikTok, which according to you is how developers profit off the modding community.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Nobody's denying that the game has flaws, it's just a leap from "the game is very feature sparse" to "it is unethical for the devs to support modders because that's unpaid labor."

Mod support is good. Being disappointed in the game doesn't change that.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
They don't even support mods. They just said they aren't gonna do anything about them as long as it's not interfering with online gameplay. Them providing tools to at least inject stuff into the game would be support.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Mod support that lets people be creative and have fun with the game is good IMO. From stuff like your 'Turn Dhalsim into Luffy' or some of the crazier stuff Bethesda game people make(discounting mandatory stuff like Unofficial patches), yeah, sure. I see nothing wrong with people making their own questlines for say, Fallout 4.

If the mod community is charged with making the game playable, that's inexcusable. This is the aforementioned Bethesda unofficial patches for Skyrim, or like how World of Warcraft is basically unplayable at anything beyond the most basic level without mods.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nintendo makes a guy pay them money for the rest of his life because they're a collective of honorable artists with pride in their work

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

Hes right

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Doing RTE with Shida now, I ended up in two back to back gauntlet matches against the likes of Paul Wight and Luchasaurus. Won both of them, very curious where things go from here and if I'm on the path to unlocking Paul Wight yet.

I did get Brodie Lee; he's a lot of fun to play as.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jubs posted:

It has functionally replaced Google as a search engine for a lot of people, especially young people, now that Silicon Valley is amped up on letting the public beta test their buggier piece of poo poo “AI”. TikTok’s targeting is really good.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 12, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

beware the 4 way the week before the ppv, i forgot to save and was punished with my only loss.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

NameHurtBrain posted:

Mod support that lets people be creative and have fun with the game is good IMO. From stuff like your 'Turn Dhalsim into Luffy' or some of the crazier stuff Bethesda game people make(discounting mandatory stuff like Unofficial patches), yeah, sure. I see nothing wrong with people making their own questlines for say, Fallout 4.

If the mod community is charged with making the game playable, that's inexcusable. This is the aforementioned Bethesda unofficial patches for Skyrim, or like how World of Warcraft is basically unplayable at anything beyond the most basic level without mods.
Bugfixing is typically the most significant thing modders can do in most cases, short of texture swaps that invariably make the game look worse in motion but make for pretty screenshots to show off. You might be able to fiddle with numerical values — increasing or decreasing damage on a given move, etc — but hoo boy if you think multi is bad now, wait til those hacks come through. Something like custom models or arenas, though? Probably hard to do without dev tools.

As for the ethics of it all, no developer expects on modders to fix release versions. There are always things that require patching, known and unknown, that are included in release builds if studios are to hit their deadlines. If post-release patches stop coming it’s not because the devs are shifting responsibility, it’s that as professionals they have to get paid for their work, and QA budgets are decided by the publisher. As I’ve said, long-tail post release support tends to come from devs who are subsidized or spectacularly successful.

Ofc there are exceptions — Gearbox was accused of doing an intentionally botched job on Aliens: Colonial Marines so that they could divert its funding to whatever Borderlands sequel they were working on at the time. A modder famously found a single character in the enemy AI coding that, when changed, improved the game from “total disaster” to “bargain bin shooter”. YUKES might be a historically bad studio but they’re not THAT bad.

Plus, as any Skyrim modder will tell you, official patching invariably breaks mods as referenced code changes, requiring adjustment to the new environment (the big reason ppl really hated SSE was bc it didn’t add enough to the base game to justify how much work remaking mods for its new data structuring required). So if they’re smart, they don’t start working on the game until major patches have slowed or stopped.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This is a good move, or if it was always like this it’d a good way to handle this. Matching rage quitting dorks up with only other rage quitting dorks is a hilarious way to deal with rage quitting.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Doom and Unreal let modders run wild and now Fortnite makes the GDP of several nations and Doom 2016 was good. (source: pulled from my rear end)

Modding has been around for about 30 years. I thought the kids were still into Roblox and Minecraft but I wouldn't really know.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think putting rage quitters in their own lobby is funny but it isn't much of a deterrent from people doing it in the first place if there are no perceivable consequences, just secret backend changes that might gradually make their games online worse. Game's already a ghost town on PC so allowing disconnects to happen just drives everybody away.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That relationship troubles RTE is kinda weird. Things just sort of happen for no reason. Why does sting hate me now. Why is Anna Jay interfering. None of this is clear.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

projecthalaxy posted:

That relationship troubles RTE is kinda weird. Things just sort of happen for no reason. Why does sting hate me now. Why is Anna Jay interfering. None of this is clear.

I think I had the same story happen to me. I started hanging out with Tay, then Ricky Starks put me through a table and told me to leave her alone. I ended up getting superkicked by Tay after a match, then had to face both of them in a handicap match. I won and JR said something like "We may never know what happened here or why it happened".

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think I had the same story happen to me. I started hanging out with Tay, then Ricky Starks put me through a table and told me to leave her alone. I ended up getting superkicked by Tay after a match, then had to face both of them in a handicap match. I won and JR said something like "We may never know what happened here or why it happened".

Yeah that. Shida only wanted to take funny facepaint man out to a sponsored dinner :smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

Mine was hanging out with Starks and then Statlander kept showing up and kicking my rear end for it until he turned on me

I wonder how it picks the other wrestlers to use

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Tony booking simulator 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I'm playing as Eddie, and Abadon and I had a nice lunch.

I can't wait to see who I pissed off.