Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Starks posted:

Apologies if this has been answered, I try to keep up with the thread but it moves very quickly: is there a guide somewhere for itemization past level 50? I’m 56 and it feels like none of the item drops I find are upgrades to the gear I’ve had for the last 4 or 5 levels, not sure what im doing wrong.

Get more items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kaysette posted:

RIP my hardcore rogue, died like a dumbass to an elite death explosion because i lagged out

was having fun with him, torn between redoing rogue or going druid for s1 (softcore bc i am a babby)

This is not a game designed to be played hardcore. Its all fun and games until you get 1shot by a corpse arrow shooting from off screen in a dungeon where flying arrows are almost invisible

I wanted to play HC too but its just not worth it man. It demands extreme caution which sucks all the fun out of the game

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
how do you check your ping in game?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Starks posted:

Apologies if this has been answered, I try to keep up with the thread but it moves very quickly: is there a guide somewhere for itemization past level 50? I’m 56 and it feels like none of the item drops I find are upgrades to the gear I’ve had for the last 4 or 5 levels, not sure what im doing wrong.

Sounds like you're playing on Tier 1 or 2 and haven't finished the campaign.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

how do you check your ping in game?

Ctrl + r twice, on pc at least

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I didn't get a lot of upgrades from 50-60 but now that I can hang more in wt4 they're coming again. Could just be early good rng and late bad rng if you aren't grinding hard for those levels. I didn't run a lot of NM dungeons in those levels either just helltides and whispers.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

bus hustler posted:

I didn't get a lot of upgrades from 50-60 but now that I can hang more in wt4 they're coming again. Could just be early good rng and late bad rng if you aren't grinding hard for those levels. I didn't run a lot of NM dungeons in those levels either just helltides and whispers.

It is just lottery. You can go a full week without even a hint of an upgrade then get 3 upgrades back to back in a day

I once got 2 uniques off of 2 consecutive mob packs

But you gotta read your loot. Some people are just selling blindly or just salvaging without reading like cm'on. This is a game about reading after all, you read 1000s of items a day that is basically what you do

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

kumba posted:

i use rubies in armor as a barb
From a few pages ago, but it should be noted that Sapphires is the way to go if you are a class than can reliably Fortify, at least at high levels.

You can slot in rubies and get +2k life, or you can slot sapphires and get -2k damage received on every single enemy hit - not to mention it's even more effective against giant 1hit-ko hits. It's one of the reasons Barb and Druid are so strong at end game and can shrough off the capstone dungeon boss attacks that would 1hit kill a Sorc through her full barrier.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mr. Pickles posted:

This is not a game designed to be played hardcore. Its all fun and games until you get 1shot by a corpse arrow shooting from off screen in a dungeon where flying arrows are almost invisible

I wanted to play HC too but its just not worth it man. It demands extreme caution which sucks all the fun out of the game

with the evade death potion (and the wildly increased drop rate of animal parts to make them -and- super unique guaranteed to drop 5x off a particular kind) + scrolls of escape you generally don’t have to worry about much excepting bad crashes in exceptionally vulnerable locations. even my xbox can reboot after a crash and get me back in game before i died in a helltide. in s2 or 3 w/ the automatic scroll of escape on d/c i think the only reason you should have to die at that point is a misplay or risky play

That Italian Guy posted:

From a few pages ago, but it should be noted that Sapphires is the way to go if you are a class than can reliably Fortify, at least at high levels.

You can slot in rubies and get +2k life, or you can slot sapphires and get -2k damage received on every single enemy hit - not to mention it's even more effective against giant 1hit-ko hits. It's one of the reasons Barb and Druid are so strong at end game and can shrough off the capstone dungeon boss attacks that would 1hit kill a Sorc through her full barrier.

to be even more explicit, rubies only multiply your base health. a single state line for + health (on ring or hat for an easy one) is worth 2-3 rubies, class and level depending

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 12, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mr. Pickles posted:

i think if this is your reasoning, it is you who does not like HC rather than the game not being designed for it. if anything its too easy

harrygomm posted:

with the evade death potion (and the wildly increased drop rate of animal parts to make them -and- super unique guaranteed to drop 5x off a particular kind) + scrolls of escape you generally don’t have to worry about much excepting bad crashes in exceptionally vulnerable locations. even my xbox can reboot after a crash and get me back in game before i died in a helltide. in s2 or 3 w/ the automatic scroll of escape on d/c i think the only reason you should have to die at that point is a misplay or risky play

yeah this

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 12, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I don't know playing HC right now with the lags and forced online where my client might crash and the player character stands there seems like a raw deal.

Also leveling 1-50 in this game and doing all that renown is not super great!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Vic posted:

I don't know playing HC right now with the lags and forced online where my client might crash and the player character stands there seems like a raw deal.

Also leveling 1-50 in this game and doing all that renown is not super great!

i’ll say whoever brought up that consoles might have a different pool or server set or whatever might be right. with cross play turned off, being on an xbox and playing HC and being west coast, i have to be interacting with a vanishingly small number of other people. i saw my first person ever in kyovashad on my t3 rogue after level 60 some time.

i also have removed basically all latency, rubberbanding, etc. with cross play turned off. i turned it on b/c there was a world boss i couldn’t solo and it immediately started to be terrible networking again and i crashed after the boss. i haven’t had more than a crash a week for probably two weeks or so since turning it off and i got one within like 40 minutes after turning it back on. all that makes the HC stuff s lot more enjoyable/tolerable than before

like i regularly farm up about 100K pvp cinders before banking them because i’m sure i won’t d/c whereas before i could stick around long enough to get 5-10K before i started getting nervous. i saw starting to get stuttering b/c i would do all the gear i picked up but didn’t want in one spot and the screen would fill every time i went to that corner.

on the other hand there is no build with which i can kill uber lilith on my barb b/c i am on console, a land of contrasts

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

harrygomm posted:

i’ll say whoever brought up that consoles might have a different pool or server set or whatever might be right. with cross play turned off, being on an xbox and playing HC and being west coast, i have to be interacting with a vanishingly small number of other people. i saw my first person ever in kyovashad on my t3 rogue after level 60 some time.

i also have removed basically all latency, rubberbanding, etc. with cross play turned off. i turned it on b/c there was a world boss i couldn’t solo and it immediately started to be terrible networking again and i crashed after the boss. i haven’t had more than a crash a week for probably two weeks or so since turning it off and i got one within like 40 minutes after turning it back on. all that makes the HC stuff s lot more enjoyable/tolerable than before

like i regularly farm up about 100K pvp cinders before banking them because i’m sure i won’t d/c whereas before i could stick around long enough to get 5-10K before i started getting nervous. i saw starting to get stuttering b/c i would do all the gear i picked up but didn’t want in one spot and the screen would fill every time i went to that corner.

on the other hand there is no build with which i can kill uber lilith on my barb b/c i am on console, a land of contrasts

I turned off cross-play on PC, and also stopped seeing other people almost entirely, save for in Kyovashad.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hoping whatever class I choose for s1 can actually beat Uber Lilith because it sounds like some classes just cannot with current skill balance

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Verviticus posted:

man the world is empty everywhere

Looking to have been a big mistake development wise

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

The Grumbles posted:

I turned off cross-play on PC, and also stopped seeing other people almost entirely, save for in Kyovashad.

So it looks like you can only be matched with other people who've turned crossplay off, ie almost no-one.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

euphronius posted:

Looking to have been a big mistake development wise

I think that depends on whether it's empty for technical reasons that they can't overcome or to give themselves room to turn the density up later

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

except for helltides why are you even in the over-world ?

I would guess they will put no more effort into it and it will just be there for new players

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mr. Pickles posted:

I think there is at least one level 100 HC persob in this very thread!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

I would guess they will put no more effort into it and it will just be there for new players

I could see season mechanics using it. With the wide spaces and horse access, maybe some kind of blockade running mechanic stretched out over a few zones. It could be sweet.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If the open world is used as a big sandbox to drop new stuff into with later seasons then I think it will have been worth the effort. If everything they add is instanced content like the malignant tunnel stuff then I generally agree with your original statement

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

euphronius posted:

I’m sure we will see some new world bosses. Legion Events are good fun and can drop mounts.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

They've also got the tech to turn various settlements into little monster areas. You could have a season where they turn the whole map into a big game of risk or something and you could capture territory and stuff, or even do it like a Splatoon where you pick a faction and the map can respond to what players are doing

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

satanic splash-back posted:

Hoping whatever class I choose for s1 can actually beat Uber Lilith because it sounds like some classes just cannot with current skill balance

I think every class has a sub 4 minute kill, it's just most (if not all?) classes need very, very specific builds to do that.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think every class has a sub 4 minute kill, it's just most (if not all?) classes need very, very specific builds to do that.

They do but the Barb HOTA sub 2 minute kill requires you to be on PC. Kind of a bummer that I have all the required gear for it but since I’m on console I can’t click next to her to get those massive crits that PC players can get with the quake legendary aspect.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

bus hustler posted:

OK the respec chat got me thinking, who are you even paying to respec? Where is that gold going? I realize that the game isn't that realistic but they aren't even pretending with that one
- Surgery to rearrange Str/Dex points
- Diploma mill churning out credentials for your new Int/Will points
- Drugs and alcohol to make you forget your past bad choices
- Horadric tattoo artists removing and redrawing paragon glyphs on your butt
- Tree of Whispers sending killers to take down everyone who knew the old version of you

It all adds up.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

They've also got the tech to turn various settlements into little monster areas. You could have a season where they turn the whole map into a big game of risk or something and you could capture territory and stuff, or even do it like a Splatoon where you pick a faction and the map can respond to what players are doing

Blizzard hire this goon.

Nah just kidding I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy but that's a p cool idea.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Hit 66 with my WW Barb and totally lost steam.

Can’t get the aspect that gives me basically endless shout uptime to save my life so that “mostly waiting for 15-20 seconds between burst windows” gameplay is boring AF.

Turning towards deciding on who is going to be my seasonal push and I’m currently down to Druid and Rogue… but maybe Necro? Necro bone spear seems insanely boring even if it’s super powerful. Any thoughts?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Psyker posted:

but maybe Necro? Necro bone spear seems insanely boring even if it’s super powerful. Any thoughts?

i play games to have fun, not to be bored so i wouldny

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Psyker posted:

Can’t get the aspect that gives me basically endless shout uptime to save my life so that “mostly waiting for 15-20 seconds between burst windows” gameplay is boring AF.

Turning towards deciding on who is going to be my seasonal push and I’m currently down to Druid and Rogue… but maybe Necro? Necro bone spear seems insanely boring even if it’s super powerful. Any thoughts?

Big balance patch on the 18th. Just wait to see how that shakes out and decide then imo.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Barring any network/system hiccups, the balancing of hardcore for release is really good. The game is very fair, if you understand the limitations and strengths of whatever build you're playing. For example, my necro is a bone man. I went for almost every armor node in the paragon tree that I could, and I'm wearing a shield most of the time. Because of the strength of bone spear I'm able to go 10+ levels above my character's level and still be comfortable. On my rogue (RIP), it was a lot dicier and I played only max +5 above my character level. All of the difficulty of HC is opt-in, so if you die it's almost always your fault. Bit off more than you could chew, or you misplayed. If you are really scared you can even chug cheat death elixirs like they're water, now, with the increased drop rates on monster parts. I try to avoid that as much as possible, though, since I kinda feel like it cheapens HC for me.

I've played rogue, necro, and druid to 95+ and only the rogue has died, and it was 100% my fault, being too cavalier near on-death explosions.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Who was the goon that asked about walking arsenal barb? Wudijo pulled one off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UTZp-h7tYU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

This looks really fun

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Psyker posted:

Druid can be a little slow to start out but it's super fun and has a pretty good variety of viable builds and playstyles, even into the endgame.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
pvp people are so mean I just want some cosmetics :(

Tokubetsu posted:

thank you

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 12, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I went to do some PvP with my thorns barbarian, some dudes came in, something happened, and I dropped my own ear with "Vic got killed by Vic" in the corner.

Two thumbs up. Kept the ear.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://i.imgur.com/zxJgssF.gifv

gently caress off dude I'm just here for the codex!!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I wish they’d preview some of the class/balance changes. Right now im only looking forward to seasons to play with my friends and that may not be enough, lol

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'll probably do druid again for season 1. I might barely break into WT3 on my current druid so I haven't really been able to mess around with higher-level builds but there's a lot of variety. also I get to be thicc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Vic posted:

what experience did you expect other than this. this is diablo

External Organs posted:

I think there is at least one level 100 HC persob in this very thread!

i think there's two of us?

Martian Manfucker posted:

Barring any network/system hiccups, the balancing of hardcore for release is really good. The game is very fair, if you understand the limitations and strengths of whatever build you're playing. For example, my necro is a bone man. I went for almost every armor node in the paragon tree that I could, and I'm wearing a shield most of the time. Because of the strength of bone spear I'm able to go 10+ levels above my character's level and still be comfortable. On my rogue (RIP), it was a lot dicier and I played only max +5 above my character level. All of the difficulty of HC is opt-in, so if you die it's almost always your fault. Bit off more than you could chew, or you misplayed. If you are really scared you can even chug cheat death elixirs like they're water, now, with the increased drop rates on monster parts. I try to avoid that as much as possible, though, since I kinda feel like it cheapens HC for me.

I've played rogue, necro, and druid to 95+ and only the rogue has died, and it was 100% my fault, being too cavalier near on-death explosions.

i drink them when im playing super high cause i need that extra timeframe to feel comfortable but ive never actually had one proc. barbarian is kinda hard to die on