Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Stoltenberg says Ukraine is closer to NATO ascension than ever before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The road to NATO ascension is an ouroboros loop to nowhere.

Yeah that's never going to happen. Russia has 80-90% of the most productive parts already. Apparently. I didn't do the numbers. Even if Ukraine had zero debt they'd still be unable to self sustain.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sources say Ukraine's accession to NATO will be approved as soon as Barkley 2 is released

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Futanari Damacy posted:

Also at what point does military "aid" become conditional on the repayment of at least some of what's been fronted already? I cannot envision a future scenario that does not involve a Ukrainian default, because they are essentially engineering the necessity of one by taking on so much debt that is simply not repayable. The worst part is it's not even for anything that will benefit the country in the long run, just materiel to be wastefully expended in the field with no thought as to the human or financial costs.

Ask Vietnam about it

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ukraine will technically get to be part of nato when lviv oblast turns into lwów voivodeship

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sources say Ukraine's accession to NATO will be approved as soon as Barkley 2 is released

the promise has been made

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

it's really is hosed up how a bunch of countries never at any threat from russia got fast tracked into nato, but ukraine kept getting strung along with empty promises until they actually got invaded over said promises

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If they really respected Zelensky they would have banned high heels in the dress code

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

SplitSoul posted:

Stoltenberg says Ukraine is closer to NATO ascension than ever before.

Zeno's NATO membership

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bot 02 posted:

Zeno's NATO membership

Zeno-lenskyy

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Zeno-lenskyy

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

it's really is hosed up how a bunch of countries never at any threat from russia got fast tracked into nato, but ukraine kept getting strung along with empty promises until they actually got invaded over said promises

the former are idiots except they also know how to milk the biggest one

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Truga posted:

As predicted very explicitly by everyone left of... *checks notes* Bernie Sanders (lol).

I'm sure the pro-war left-liberals will apologize and adjust their assessment of leftist geopolitics accordingly (lmao)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PhilippAchtel posted:

As predicted very explicitly by everyone left of... *checks notes* Bernie Sanders (lol).

I'm sure the pro-war left-liberals will apologize and adjust their assessment of leftist geopolitics accordingly (lmao)

Mark Ames will pathologically apologize at the start of every episode of RWN that touches on the war.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The people of Ukraine* as represented by their democratic** government have exercised their Sovereign Right to be deceived by the United States and NATO.

How dare you question that Sacred Right?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Frosted Flake posted:

Mark Ames will pathologically apologize at the start of every episode of RWN that touches on the war.

I still think they can't be faulted for making that analysis, it *was* a dumb idea to invade with the force concentration that Putin had at the time, Putin not being known for making gambles, and that was what they were working off. There's just such a "gotcha" culture in public life that they got dogpiled for it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

NATO:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/12/uk-defence-secretary-ben-wallace-suggests-ukraine-could-say-thank-you

quote:

The British defence secretary, Ben Wallace, has suggested Ukraine needs to put more emphasis on thanking the west for its assistance after Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s complaints on Tuesday that his country had not been issued a firm timetable or set of conditions for joining Nato.

“Whether we like it or not, people want to see a bit of gratitude,” Wallace said at a briefing in the margins of the Nato summit in the Lithuanian capital, Vilnius, when asked about the Ukrainian president’s comments that it was “absurd” for Kyiv to be told it would be welcome in the alliance but not given a date or exact conditions.

“Sometimes you are asking countries to give up their own stocks [of weapons],” Wallace said. “Sometimes you have to persuade lawmakers on the [Capitol] Hill in America.”

The US national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, told a public forum at the summit he believed “the American people do deserve a degree of gratitude from the United States government for their willingness to step up and from the rest of the world as well”.

[...]

Wallace revealed at the briefing that he had travelled to Ukraine last year to be presented with a shopping list of weapons. “You know, we’re not Amazon,” he said. “I told them that last year, when I drove 11 hours to be given a list.”

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cookie Cutter posted:

I still think they can't be faulted for making that analysis, it *was* a dumb idea to invade with the force concentration that Putin had at the time, Putin not being known for making gambles, and that was what they were working off. There's just such a "gotcha" culture in public life that they got dogpiled for it.

Yeah even in hindsight I still think being very skeptical and not believing that Ukraine was about to be invaded in February 2022 was very reasonable.

The main proponent of that idea was the US (remember, even the Ukrainian government was telling the US to calm down and nothing would happen at the time) which both had a vested interest in increasing tensions *and* an extensive history of making that invasion prediction and being wrong about it. At the time negotiations were ongoing and Putin wasn't exactly known for being impulsive, and the disposition of the force being massed during the exercises didn't look like one you'd expect to pull off a succesful invasion if it met actual resistance... which it didn't. On top of that it was probably the least favorable time of year to do an invasion in terms of weather.

Like yeah, I was wrong, but imo very defensibly so.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Jul 12, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

There was also the fact the US has said Russia was going to invade, like twice a year, every year for several years. Going we should have listened, is like hearing the story of rhe boy who cried wolf and because a wolf actually showed up at the end thinking we should have believed the boy everytime

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cookie Cutter posted:

It wasnt really a gamble, it was a show of force to bring Zelensky to the negotiating table to work out a deal that probably included Ukrainian neutrality and a return to the Minsk agreement. And it worked, right up until the West came running in with promises of unlimited support and then Ukraine murdered their own negotiator. Then it became a full scale invasion that, yeah, Putin probably hadn't really planned for.

Zelensky is a stupid chump who destroyed his country because he believed in the west.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I do wonder if Putin had really been so isolated/cooped up by COVID (for real) that enough bad advice from the political inner circle was what got to him to fully buy into the war, coupled with untrustworthy sources in Ukraine itself. It seemed like something went very wrong in terms of the people he was trusting at the time, considering how far off the mark they were. Moreover, the whole Pirgozhin thing may have also been a way to flush out the rest of the inner apparatus (since Putin and him were meeting recently, I have a hard time believing Pirgozhin wasn't in the loop in some capacity).

One thing that was fundamentally clear was that the military itself didn't seem to be in on it in the slightest, except for a week or two before it happened, and even then, much of the brass probably still thought it was a power move.

I think it was still a possibility, but it was just also very unclear what was going on until Putin's speech tipped the scales that maybe something was going to happen. As I said at the time, if something cooked off, it would be in the Donbass first (which it did).

------------

I do think Putin thought he could just bring Zelensky to the table with force and that a fairly minimal force was all that was necessary but I don't think it was a well-informed decision, and there was something that went wrong internally.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Jul 12, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nix Panicus posted:

The Al-Saqr turns

In a widening gyre

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I do wonder if Putin had really been so isolated/cooped up by COVID (for real) that enough bad advice from the political inner circle was enough for him to fully buy on coupled with untrustworthy sources in Ukraine itself. It seemed like something went very wrong. The whole Pirgozhin thing may have been a way to flush out the rest of the inner apparatus (since Putin and him were meeting, I have a hard time believing Pirgozhin wasn't in the loop).

One thing that was fundamentally clear was that the military itself didn't seem to be in on in the slightest, and except for a week or two before it happened, much of the brass probably still thought it was a power move.

I think it was a possibility still, but it was just also very unclear what was going on until Putin's speech tipped the scales that maybe something was going to happen. As I said at the time, something cooked off, it would be in the Donbass first (which it did).

did they actually follow through on anything that would support the theory that the prigozhin thing was some kind of plan or whatever

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

speng31b posted:

did they actually follow through on anything that would support the theory that the prigozhin thing was some kind of plan or whatever

I think that would have required high ranking figures other than Prigo to have declared for his team, which I don't think happened(?)

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

Prigozhin's force were split up with minimal fuss but still armed with a force still camped out in Belarus (possible to counter a Polish brigade), while Prigozhin himself is not only a free man but has met with Putin. Surovikin hasn't been seen, this may or may not be anything. It is unclear if there were other internally shake-ups as well.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Prigozhin's force were split up with minimal fuss but still armed with a force still camped out in Belarus (possible to counter a Polish brigade), while Prigozhin himself is not only a free man but has met with Putin. Surovikin hasn't been seen, this may or may not be anything. It is unclear if there were other internally shake-ups as well.

so basically no

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ardennes posted:

I do think Putin thought he could just bring Zelensky to the table with force and that a fairly minimal force was all that was necessary but I don't think it was a well-informed decision, and there was something that went wrong internally.

wasn't the peace negotiations in april 2022 a sign that something like this might actually have worked if boris johnson hadn't paradropped in and blown the whole thing up?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The Ukrainian government is absolutely full of nazis who thirst for Russian blood, but I'm sure they'll surrender in a day or two to a show of force by an army designed for colonial expeditions,

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

wasn't the peace negotiations in april 2022 a sign that something like this might actually have worked if boris johnson hadn't paradropped in and blown the whole thing up?

Yeah, absolutely. Johnson did his best Churchill cosplay just utterly loving a country.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

so basically no

I would say Pirgozhin meeting with Putin is enough on its own. Even if you want to spin it as a "labor dispute" you probably wouldn't have it that quickly, but less everything else that didn't match up (the Chechens, the shootdown, Mcdonalds runs etc).

Comrade Koba posted:

Not to defend him, but Johnson is a rhetorical scapegoat, the real issue was that US backed Ukrainian nationalists weren't going to give up any territory (much less the NATO issue) and that the negotiations were pointless before they began, and Kiev was clearly stringing the Russians along. The question is: how did the Kremlin sign on to such a screw-up, and it must have been terrible or purposefully terrible intel/advice.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Jul 12, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

In the sense that armies prepare for the last war it makes a lot of sense. After all, they didn't have to fight a battle of Tbilisi, they just had to park a few tanks a couple miles out. Of course it doesn't speak for the quality of the Russian leadership that it took them most of a year to figure out a workable plan B. The non working plan B was to make the offer worse by formally annexing a bunch of oblasts and pull Kiev back to the negotiation table before the offer gets worse.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

On one hand, I hate NATO so under no circumstance do I ever think a country should be "grateful" for their "help"

That said, there shouldn't be any doubt that without NATO/US (ultimately the same thing if we're being honest) equipment and support Ukraine's military and even their entire government would have collapsed like 8 months ago.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

In the sense that armies prepare for the last war it makes a lot of sense. After all, they didn't have to fight a battle of Tbilisi, they just had to park a few tanks a couple miles out. Of course it doesn't speak for the quality of the Russian leadership that it took them most of a year to figure out a workable plan B. The non working plan B was to make the offer worse by formally annexing a bunch of oblasts and pull Kiev back to the negotiation table before the offer gets worse.

I don't think it took a year to figure it out, it took just that long to get the wheels in motion. Russia simply wasn't prepared for a large-scale conventional war, and it took months to get everything together behind the scenes. It was lucky for them that most of the MIC was still intact but dormant, but it still took months to actually get it in gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I don't think it took a year to figure it out, it took just that long to get the wheels in motion. Russia simply wasn't prepared for a large-scale conventional war, and it took months to get everything together behind the scenes. It was lucky for them that most of the MIC was still intact but dormant, but it still took months to actually get it in gear.

How long did it take the countries in WW1 to scale up to industrial wartime production?