Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 and it's just like the PS2 days but they fixed all the lovely parts :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ten days until Pikmin 4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Slowpoke! posted:

I bet most people who own Mario Kart don’t have any other racing games.

The only other one I have is GTA V/Online.

Re-release Burnout 3! :argh: Paradise doesn't cut it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The boss fights in Metroid prime are weird in frequency. They take place at like:

1% of the way through the game parasite queen
10% of the way through the game flower boy
20% of the way through the game boulder dude
85% of the way through the game Omega pirate
99% of the way through Ridley
100% final boss

Where's all the bosses from 21-79%? Like, at least spread em around

I think a developer said that there were 2 or 3 bosses cut towards the end due to time. You’ll notice magmoor caverns has no major capstone boss. Doesn’t really have a mini boss either. I think they said Thardus wasn’t supposed to be in Phendrana Drifts but he had to get moved there because of those cuts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I think a developer said that there were 2 or 3 bosses cut towards the end due to time. You’ll notice magmoor caverns has no major capstone boss. Doesn’t really have a mini boss either.

What about that rotating flamethrower? That's at least a miniboss.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What about that rotating flamethrower? That's at least a miniboss.

I think that was in Chozo Ruins?

The magnet rail maze to get the Plasma Beam is kinda like a mini boss lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah the flamethrower beehive boss is in the Ruins, and should not be confused with the other beehive boss in the Chozo Ruins that gets you the missiles.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah the flamethrower beehive boss is in the Ruins, and should not be confused with the other beehive boss in the Chozo Ruins that gets you the missiles.

That’s the hive totem, totally different!!!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

the problem is too many so-called-racing games are boring driving simulators where if you are punished for not following The Line, and jailed for daring to scratch up the beautiful branded cars because car manufactures are more sensitive of how their IP is shown then deviant teenagers with Sonic OCs. (Do not steal.)

Let me smash up the cars you cowards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Slowpoke! posted:

As a racing game lover I have all three genres of racing games on the switch:

Kart Racer: Mario Kart 8
Futuristic Racer: FAST RMX
Racing Simulation: Cruisin' Blast

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't think Mario Kart has cosmetic kart damage either...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Electromax posted:

I don't think Mario Kart has cosmetic kart damage either...
I mean sure, but I just want to rant about how we don't get Burnout style racing games anymore. Or car combat stuff like Twisted Metal or Carmaggedon.

like, Burnout is closer to Mario Kart then it is Forza. I feel like there's a bit of lack of more arcadey racers these days, or the ones that are arcadey still lean pretty towards "you're not allowed to gently caress up the cars"

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Burnout 3, Split/Second, Wipeout, Extreme-G, all amazing.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Oxyclean posted:

I mean sure, but I just want to rant about how we don't get Burnout style racing games anymore. Or car combat stuff like Twisted Metal or Carmaggedon.

like, Burnout is closer to Mario Kart then it is Forza. I feel like there's a bit of lack of more arcadey racers these days, or the ones that are arcadey still lean pretty towards "you're not allowed to gently caress up the cars"

Does Wreckfest not count?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the cruise ship is the goated double dash track and im glad it's here

But that’s not how you say “Wario Colosseum” :confused:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Jigsaw posted:

well observed

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Playing Bayonetta Origins in the gap before Pikmin 4 lands and I want to give it a shout-out because it's excellent and I get the impression it sold terribly thanks to bad marketing and releasing about five seconds after Bayo 3.

It's really solid, incredibly beautiful stuff, the trailers and the demo they packed into bayo 3 did it very little justice. The combat's easier going than mainline bayo but it's still fun and frenetic and very recognisably platinum (it mostly reminds me of Astral Chain) and there's a Zelda-ish quality to the adventuring gameplay. I love Platinum's regular output but it's very rare they get to do something a bit different and a bit gentler like Okami, which is a shame because they're really good at it, and this is very much along those lines.

It's also secretly a great 2-player couch co-op game because all Cereza's movement and actions are handled with the left joycon and Cheshire's with the right, so you can hand one off to a friend and play that way.

Bayo Origins! Check it out. 's good.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Nintendo should expand the newest Mario Party the same way they've done with Kart.

I want to get it because it's always a fun treat to play but five boards kinda stings tbh, especially since its so much better than the prior game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There hasn’t been a good non Mario kart racing game since Beetle Adventure Racing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Seriously, skip ahead to any point in this video, the game owns so much. It suffers from the dreaded N64 Turok fog, but that can fixed nowadays.

https://youtu.be/64HStgMYTZY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raylax posted:

Playing Bayonetta Origins in the gap before Pikmin 4 lands and I want to give it a shout-out because it's excellent and I get the impression it sold terribly thanks to bad marketing and releasing about five seconds after Bayo 3.

It's really solid, incredibly beautiful stuff, the trailers and the demo they packed into bayo 3 did it very little justice. The combat's easier going than mainline bayo but it's still fun and frenetic and very recognisably platinum (it mostly reminds me of Astral Chain) and there's a Zelda-ish quality to the adventuring gameplay. I love Platinum's regular output but it's very rare they get to do something a bit different and a bit gentler like Okami, which is a shame because they're really good at it, and this is very much along those lines.

It's also secretly a great 2-player couch co-op game because all Cereza's movement and actions are handled with the left joycon and Cheshire's with the right, so you can hand one off to a friend and play that way.

Bayo Origins is genuinely one of the best games of the year and it sucks they marketed it so badly .

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Raylax posted:

It's not for me, I'm not a fan of Platinum's stuff, but this is like the 5th or 6th insightful and thoughtful review of this game someone has posted here. Pity it slid under so many radars because it does certainly seem to be quality.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Raylax posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Bayo Origins is genuinely one of the best games of the year and it sucks they marketed it so badly.
yeah the marketing and press coverage for that game uh

it wasn't great!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Blaziken386 posted:

it wasn't great!

game so good it turns you into the BABIES EVERYWHERE lady

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it is a really good game though, probably second best game featuring bayonetta

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

it is a really good game though, probably second best game featuring bayonetta

You are either dissing Wonderful 101 or Smash Brothers here and I'm not sure which one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jigsaw posted:

You're goddamned right.

I like Daisy's Cruiser and all, but Wario Colosseum is the all-time best track.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

There hasn’t been a good non Mario kart racing game since Beetle Adventure Racing.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed would like a word with you.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chieves posted:

If they would've fixed the physics, it would've been a perfect game :negative:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chieves posted:

Yeah that one comes close, fair enough.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

it wasn't great!

I wonder what made him think that. Is it about raising a child?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not going to look anything up but I'm assuming he's making a joke

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I wonder what made him think that. Is it about raising a child?

I like to think that the intention was "Cereza is so cute and lovable but has a tragic life that people will want to have a child and cherish them."

Well, more like hope cause otherwise :yikes:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Seriously, skip ahead to any point in this video, the game owns so much. It suffers from the dreaded N64 Turok fog, but that can fixed nowadays.

https://youtu.be/64HStgMYTZY

Still holds up. It's one of two N64 games that my son plays consistently, Wave Race being the other

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I'll join in going to bat for Cereza and the Lost Demon, it's a very well constructed little adventure. The time trials are crazy demanding, but outside of that it's very relaxed and engaging. Controlling each character with one hand combined with the bit of rhythm mini game makes for some good brain candy, and the art direction is top notch. Basically if the gimmick is any kind of intriguing I'd recommend it before it gets hard to find.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I don't think you could make a game like Beetle Adventure Racing anymore, which is sad because I would love to see a spiritual successor.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
BAR had the perfect blend of standard arcade racer, fun inventive courses and just the right amount of short cuts and secret stuff. One of the best ever.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Syrnn posted:

I'll join in going to bat for Cereza and the Lost Demon, it's a very well constructed little adventure. The time trials are crazy demanding, but outside of that it's very relaxed and engaging. Controlling each character with one hand combined with the bit of rhythm mini game makes for some good brain candy, and the art direction is top notch. Basically if the gimmick is any kind of intriguing I'd recommend it before it gets hard to find.

Sure,but did it make you want to increase the Japanese birth rate? :smuggo:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PowerBeard posted:

Sure,but did it make you want to increase the Japanese birth rate? :smuggo:

Thank you for this whack post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Rereleasing Beetle Adventure Racing will solve Japan's birth rate problem.