Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Squiggle posted:

I'm holding out for the twink DLC personally

that's like the second party member you meet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Well they should put that on the Steam page!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The reigning megacorps easily have enough information on us that they can do the Nier thing of making buff version and a twink version of each game and then market the correct one to each individual user.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How much is missing from Baldur's Gate 3?

D:OS2 is so drat big, assuming this is the same could I start playing it today and get to the [current] end by the time the full game launches and then just seamlessly pick up where I left off?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sab669 posted:

D:OS2 is so drat big, assuming this is the same could I start playing it today and get to the [current] end by the time the full game launches and then just seamlessly pick up where I left off?

No because the current build available in EA won't have compatible saves with the full version. They also added to and improved much of the EA section for release anyways so best to just wait at this point imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

BG3 comes out in a month.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

The reigning megacorps easily have enough information on us that they can do the Nier thing of making buff version and a twink version of each game and then market the correct one to each individual user.

Pokémon Twink Edition and Pokémon SnuSnu Edition.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

No because the current build available in EA won't have compatible saves with the full version. They also added to and improved much of the EA section for release anyways so best to just wait at this point imo

Booo. I'm bored of everything in my library :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Pokémon Twink Edition and Pokémon SnuSnu Edition.

isn't this just Scarlet/Violet

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

oh yeah Oxenfree 2 is out today

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

I'm annoyed that I just finished D:OS 1, which burnt out on the genre for a good while. That game started out strong but the ending was incredibly unfun to play though. Why did they think that puzzle rooms full of insta-kill traps and buttons you had to pixel hunt for were a good idea? Lots of other decisions that gradually made the game unenjoyable too, like spreading out spell books on a bunch of different merchants all in various zones, and being able to have party members that you just use for the non-combat skills, but having to teleport to their location and add them to the party to use said skills.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kazil posted:

This made me realize that I never finished Oxenfree 1 on the switch and its only $1.99 in the steam sale right now, so hopefully it runs fine on the deck

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Personally I think it's a dumb idea to play an early access RPG unless you're purely interested in messing around with the mechanics. They're not demos that are 100% complete up to a hard cut-off, they're unfinished all over the place.

kazil posted:

sick

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the human kind or the other kind

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ah, the vaunted "player choice"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Personally I think it's a dumb idea to play an early access RPG unless you're purely interested in messing around with the mechanics. They're not demos that are 100% complete up to a hard cut-off, they're unfinished all over the place.

I mean sure, but also it's been out for 3 years and I trust Larian would've been doing a good enough job along the way for an EA title. It's not like it was just some random indie jank (and even that can still be a great time; see Gedonia)

I was definitely assuming EA saves would be compatible with the official launch though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is it cheaper now than it will be?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The EA build is over half a year old so it’s still very much a rough cut of the game. Larian themselves have said there’s about 33% more in the final product from that one section alone. It’s still easily 25-30 hours of content though, helpful if you want to mess around with the game systems and early quests.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

No, it was $60 since it entered EA :(

I guess I'll wait; don't want to partially get my bearings with the beginning of the game and then have it be all different for launch. I'm just starving for a good RPG like what Larian makes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

It specifically isn't to not tempt people to ruin the experience for themselves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I wouldn’t plan on it going cheaper than 60bux anytime soon.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I want to play Dark Souls 1 again, I already have the Prepare to Die Edition (PTDE) and I don't really care about online functionality, I just want to play through it for the PvE. Is my best bet to just download and install DSFix or are there any other kind of mods that you would consider essential for playing PTDE again?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone here plays Songs of Conquest? How feature-complete is the game right now?
If I just want to play some of it's campaign and then shelve the rest for later, is it complete enough to have a good time with that?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing some System Shock Remake. You can definitely tell it's an old game, they don't bother tutorializing the security mechanic at all. At one point they say "you can destroy cameras" but don't offer any reasoning as to why you would do that.

At one point I found a gun. After dying and reloading, I couldn't find the gun again so now I'm fighting off death-cyborgs with my wrench and zappy pistol.

The art style is absolutely stunning, like wow they did such a great job. I'm just hoping I can push through the classic-game meanness.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Been playing some System Shock Remake. You can definitely tell it's an old game, they don't bother tutorializing the security mechanic at all. At one point they say "you can destroy cameras" but don't offer any reasoning as to why you would do that.

At one point I found a gun. After dying and reloading, I couldn't find the gun again so now I'm fighting off death-cyborgs with my wrench and zappy pistol.

The art style is absolutely stunning, like wow they did such a great job. I'm just hoping I can push through the classic-game meanness.

By the time you find the exit out of the first level you'll notice the effects of lowering the security yourself, assuming you're somewhat thorough.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

homewrecker posted:

I want to play Dark Souls 1 again, I already have the Prepare to Die Edition (PTDE) and I don't really care about online functionality, I just want to play through it for the PvE. Is my best bet to just download and install DSFix or are there any other kind of mods that you would consider essential for playing PTDE again?

DSFix is pretty much it if PvE is all you want.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone here plays Songs of Conquest? How feature-complete is the game right now?
If I just want to play some of it's campaign and then shelve the rest for later, is it complete enough to have a good time with that?

Yeah you're good to play the currently available campaigns now. The game works fine and has all the features you'd expect, most of what's left for them to do is just balancing and finishing the campaigns.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

homewrecker posted:

If you don't care about online or the fact that DSFix's 60fps mode has some quirks (IIRC you can't jump quite as far and sliding down certain ladders might deposit you through the floor into the void) then you should be fine. Gameplay wise, there's a new bonfire in the Catacombs, you can swap between covenants that you've already "collected" at bonfires, and when you use or give an item you can choose to use multiple at a time. I don't think there are any other meaningful changes.

Mods-wise there's nothing essential either way.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

AI still needs some work and there is one campaign left to finish, but overall it's solid. Full release out of EA is this fall. So far the community has put out some really good skirmish maps here https://mod.io/g/soc and elsewhere, too. If you're wondering about getting your money's worth at this point, then yeah you'll be fine. I have a couple dozen hours so far and I bought it at EA launch. No regrets (except the overworld AI being a little dumb)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

wildshaped druid

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
me after meeting the first party member in BG3

huh you're cruel and arrogant, that can work at level 1, but better be sure

"hey are you a Regil or a Bishop?"
"huh? no, haha im a good party member"

...she's a Bishop

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Apparently Steam just made a pretty significant change to how community reviews are calculated, possibly due to the insane review-bombing of Skullgirls that happened a few weeks ago, leading to it going from overwhelmingly positive to overwhelmingly negative, with a 17% recent review positivity rating. the review bombing began because the devs edited some sprites to be less fanservicey, removed a piece of ingame art that was literally a dude molesting someone, removed armbands from the aesthetically-nazi faction, removed some art from the digital artbook, removed some clips from Big Band's storyline, and removed the Soviet Announcer voice.

The Big Band and Soviet Announcer thing I think were bad moves, with Big Band's thing it was apparently contextually about police brutality, and the soviet announcer was probably removed due to everything to do with Russia these days, but I don't think that means old Russian pastiches should be eliminated entirely.

the rest was a good move. but The Worst People In The World(gamers) got insanely mad and started dropping a crazy number of review bombs from almost entirely people who don't actually play the game, dropping it from about 96% positive to 17% positive.

Now, the rating is back to normal, with an asterisk denoting unusual review activity, shown here:

I haven't changed any settings so I'm guessing this is something new. but it's a good thing, because gently caress the incels getting super worked up over them adding skirt length to a character to cut down on the fanservice.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

The Big Band and Soviet Announcer thing I think were bad moves, with Big Band's thing it was apparently contextually about police brutality, and the soviet announcer was probably removed due to everything to do with Russia these days, but I don't think that means old Russian pastiches should be eliminated entirely.

This is easy to miss context unless you're deeply plugged into old FGC lore but the Soviet announcer was removed because it was disgraced sex pest Mike Z doing an old bit (it was originally Soviet Potemkin, his main in Guilty Gear.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The “off-topic review activity” message and effect on review score has been around for years

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Owl Inspector posted:

The “off-topic review activity” message and effect on review score has been around for years
I've never seen it before, so does it mean valve stepped in and was like "this is insane" and hid the 25,000 recent negative reviews, or what?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never seen it before, so does it mean valve stepped in and was like "this is insane" and hid the 25,000 recent negative reviews, or what?

Afaik they aren't hidden they just don't count towards the score.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Captain Invictus posted:

Jack Trades posted:

Afaik they aren't hidden they just don't count towards the score.

This is what happens every time there's an "off-topic" review bombing since that system was implemented (around the launch of EGS iirc), it just might be the first time you've seen both the before and after. It obviously has to be manually flagged, at which point the asterisk appears and you get the notice alongside the graph at the bottom of the store page where you have the option of toggling it to be included in the review average or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does reversal mean it was in the game and they removed it or they removed it and added it back or what?