Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shrecknet posted:

if you have two accounts, one JANE NORMALLADY and one MISTRESS SEXCREEP you don't log in to one and see the other. they're tied (ideally) to different emails and never intersected before today. why would Facebook merge then now?

she probably just posted horny on main and made a dumb excuse

Naw, ever since they implemented the real name policy, they've been shits about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've not really heard anyone else complaining about their name getting changed out the blue on Facebook. Ignoring the jab the poster made at sex workers, I also think it's more likely they were just logged in with their main account and didn't realize it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

if you have two accounts, one JANE NORMALLADY and one MISTRESS SEXCREEP you don't log in to one and see the other. they're tied (ideally) to different emails and never intersected before today. why would Facebook merge then now?

Facebook pinned me for having two accounts back when that was verboten, and I registered through two separate email addresses and never crossed the streams. They presumably used IP addresses to figure it out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
"Scraped my legal name from somewhere else" sounds pretty unbelievable, but I don't use FB or know much about it.
I'm sure somewhere in the FB ad machine knows the info, but there's no profit in putting in a whole system to change people's names.

Hatrack
Sep 29, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Not necessarily. I used to link digital information between social media accounts professionally for a political data firm. If they ever used the same phone to log into both accounts or even just the same home network they've likely been linked together in one database or another. If not Meta's database then the database of someone that Meta would buy that info from as a matter of course.

You can take different elements of Personally Identifiable Information and easily link it back to a persons name. This gets a lot easier to do with the amount of data the Meta has based on browsing/cookies/IP tracking. I don't know that they do but I would not be surprised if they have flags on accounts listing the other accounts linked to a given user. After all that sort data has a LOT of value.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah social media companies definitely don't have a long history of loving over sex workers, how unrealistic to think they might start now.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
It’s a real experience to be locked out of Facebook with an old account and have Facebook support wanting a picture of your driver’s license with your account name like “Baron dogshit” before they help you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Facebook actively does not want you to have privacy of any kind. Literally the whole thing with Threads is that it's banned from the EU because they actually have privacy laws and will enforce them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
zuckbook and social media in general seems like a cartoon paint explosion.

like yeah their metadata paintball points never ever asked or got a data point of your actual person, but godamn if they dont have a decent outline.

hell absence of data or a profile can also be a decent profile in of itself imo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's roughly a zillion people who use fake names on social media. I guarantee that if something like what she claims was happening, we would have a lot more people reporting it.

Wild claims sourced entirely from one random person on Twitter are almost always bullshit, either unintentionally (maybe they made a mistake) or intentionally (these kinds of "warnings" are practically guaranteed to go viral).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have only seen accounts locked demanding a real name, never a forcible change without the user’s involvement

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Almost certainly but it's something that her audience, sex workers and other people who need to protect their identity, need to be aware of.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Everything else equal, I’d trust a random sex worker over Zuck any day. That said, their claim does seem fishy in the sense that it feels like it would be talked about more if it was happening in any significant frequency.

And even if the story is 100% fake, I wouldn’t fault anyone for not signing up for any social media platform

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

StumblyWumbly posted:

"Scraped my legal name from somewhere else" sounds pretty unbelievable, but I don't use FB or know much about it.
I'm sure somewhere in the FB ad machine knows the info, but there's no profit in putting in a whole system to change people's names.

From personal experience, it sounds...plausible? I've done some Instacart shopping for my mom, using her account information in a separate browser profile (in Chrome, if that helps this make any sense). A couple of times I've gone back to my user profile and the Facebook ads showed me her full grocery list on my timeline. If nothing else, it felt like something crossed over that shouldn't have.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Main Paineframe posted:

There's roughly a zillion people who use fake names on social media. I guarantee that if something like what she claims was happening, we would have a lot more people reporting it.

Wild claims sourced entirely from one random person on Twitter are almost always bullshit, either unintentionally (maybe they made a mistake) or intentionally (these kinds of "warnings" are practically guaranteed to go viral).

This kind of stuff on Twitter is always bullshit or WILDLY exaggerated like science news headlines that say "scientists figured out [incredible thing]" and then the article is about scientists begrudgingly saying [incredible thing] technically could be physically possible years from now but not really. Like at best it's misinformed and maybe not malicious but the result is the same and people will generally not even take the tweet down after being mass corrected/misproven about something.

And given the specific type of people that are still using Twitter now I'm sure it's like 10,000x worse, so I'm glad I killed my account and can't even really see stuff on Twitter anymore lol

Anyway Facebook may have shed a lot of users but there's still enough that if it was auto-namechanging folks' names to their legal actual names there'd be a way bigger stink about it from more than one person.

That said I would still never sign up for Threads or use Facebook again/etc. because gently caress'em

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's possible someone reported her account for using a fake name - there's definitely enough assholes trawling the internet that have it in for any and all sex workers, and targeted harrassment via reporting stuff that usually goes unenforced is a very common tactic that most social media sites do nothing to counter

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Mistress Matisse is a pretty big name in sex work activism and education, partially regarding the business side of things and the internet safety. She has a regular column in the Stranger about exactly that.

Not that someone can never be wrong in their area of focus, but it's literally one of her jobs to stay on top of this stuff and talk about it.

Why yes, I do have a Magnum subscription to the Savage Lovecast, why do you ask?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Neo Rasa posted:

This kind of stuff on Twitter is always bullshit or WILDLY exaggerated

This is not one such instance. It's been happening to pretty much anyone who has anything tied up with Meta and hasn't legally changed their name, such as several of my trans friends.

It's not great.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kith posted:

This is not one such instance. It's been happening to pretty much anyone who has anything tied up with Meta and hasn't legally changed their name, such as several of my trans friends.

It's not great.

Yeah, Facebook can be hard-core about their demands that you use your real name on your profile, and if you link to it with something that doesn't have the "right" name it seems to trigger a response. I can absolutely believe that someone's name got switched to the "right" one.

Facebook being a website where you have to use your real name and also its searchable which means that my profile and those of half my friends have first name middle name for their profiles because people just DM you your home address when you say something they don't like.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
https://slate.com/technology/2023/07/twitter-community-notes-elon-musk-fact-checking.html

Nice slate article about the uselessness of fact checking on Twitter, with a comparison as to how it was slightly better (and improving) before the takeover and now it's only getting worse.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kith posted:

It's not great.
You’re saying Meta scraped your friends’ legal name off the interweb and auto-changed their handle to it? Because that’s the claim being made by that account.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Vegetable posted:

You’re saying Meta scraped your friends’ legal name off the interweb and auto-changed their handle to it? Because that’s the claim being made by that account.

Yes.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If you get flagged for a "fake" name facebook would basically lock your account until you entered the "real" one. Not surprised that signing up for Threads would take it a step further since Facebook collects so much data that they know who you are even if you dont' tell them. Also even if it wasn't automated its possible that a Threads/Instagram support person changed it manually after they were reported or whatever.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Who cares if they missed an opt out check box or some bullshit like that? It's still an issue some people need to be aware of and social media companies do not care if their sign up process has vulnerable people being accidentally exposed. It can irreparably damage people in certain circumstances.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Facebook hasn't really recovered from the Cambridge Analytica scandal in the eyes of many, even if the common understanding of it is very different from the specifics of what actually happened. It's not surprising that the Nymwars is still a millstone that hangs around their neck even now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's honestly pretty strange to me that so many goons lept to the defense of Facebook, given its history with privacy violations. Like... really? Facebook? As in "the company that's being blocked from even being allowed to launch Threads overseas because it's that much of a privacy nightmare" Facebook? THAT Facebook? You're finding it unlikely that they're doing sketchy poo poo with private information?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

If you get flagged for a "fake" name facebook would basically lock your account until you entered the "real" one. Not surprised that signing up for Threads would take it a step further since Facebook collects so much data that they know who you are even if you dont' tell them. Also even if it wasn't automated its possible that a Threads/Instagram support person changed it manually after they were reported or whatever.

The impression I'm getting from these claims is that the people in question already had an account on a different Meta-owned service under their real name, and Meta "helpfully" linked the accounts together and merged the identities. Which is quite a bit different from "Meta scraped your friends’ legal name off the interweb and auto-changed their handle to it".

If Meta could somehow reliably magically conjure up your real name from your browser history, they wouldn't need to have a real-name policy in the first place, because they'd be perfectly capable of figuring it out without you having to enter it yourself. They require real names because they can't reliably link real names to online identities...at least, unless you already signed up for another Meta service and gave your real name there.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Is it really that different if you're a sex worker and you've had your real name exposed because the sign up process wasn't transparent or hid important information about what it was going to do?

Of course she's going to be angry and blame them, they set up a system where it was at best easy to accidentally do - they have to know the issues people have with exposing their real names, they aren't naive they just don't value that.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 12, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Elon's worst crime is making Zuck seem reasonable by comparison. I wish them both an exceptionally.... cozy... voyage on a tiny submarine. They both loving suck and we shouldn't put up with either of them.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Kith posted:

It's honestly pretty strange to me that so many goons lept to the defense of Facebook, given its history with privacy violations. Like... really? Facebook? As in "the company that's being blocked from even being allowed to launch Threads overseas because it's that much of a privacy nightmare" Facebook? THAT Facebook? You're finding it unlikely that they're doing sketchy poo poo with private information?

If a random person tweets that they found evidence that Hitler was a pedophile I would want a little more data not because I want to defend Hitler or don't believe him capable of it but because Twitter users encompass a vast group of people who can make mistakes and be wrong or are very dumb or have mental illness or are children or trolls making poo poo up or are paid agents looking to deliberately spread disinformation etc etc

If it's sufficient evidence for you, I think you'll end up with a lot of false beliefs. If you judge the credibility of a statement on your feelings about the subject you'll re-enforce and solidify your biases in a never-ending spiral towards more and more outlandish claims and conspiracy theories.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Facebook literally makes 'ghost' profiles of non users and former uses and keeps the names specifically to gather information and assign it to your profile instantly if you do sign up. They are aggressively against any kind of privacy beyond the bare minimum they are forced to. This is utterly unsurprising.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Adenoid Dan posted:

Is it really that different if you're a sex worker and you've had your real name exposed because the sign up process wasn't transparent or hid important information about what it was going to do?

Of course she's going to be angry and blame them, they set up a system where it was at best easy to accidentally do - they have to know the issues people have with exposing their real names, they aren't naive they just don't value that.

There is an entire world of difference between "you gave Meta your real name and it showed up on your other Meta accounts" and "you never gave Meta your real name, but they somehow figured it out anyway". Yes, it sucks either way to have your real name revealed, but those two things are still massively different and you shouldn't be shocked that people want to figure out which one is actually happening.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think this distinction matters because it is absolutely trivial to find your real name if you are Facebook. Like, I don't understand how this is in question. The problem is that they aren't respecting your desire for privacy, not that finding your name is supposed to be hard.

Edit: Honestly it sounds kind of like victim-blaming, in that you're saying "if you really didn't want this to happen, you'd have been more careful about protecting your identity!"

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 12, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

I don't think this distinction matters because it is absolutely trivial to find your real name if you are Facebook. Like, I don't understand how this is in question. The problem is that they aren't respecting your desire for privacy, not that finding your name is supposed to be hard.

If it was absolutely trivial for them to find your real name, then they wouldn't have a rule requiring you to give them your real name, with suspected violations being punished by having your account locked until you provide them a photo of your government ID.

Remember, Facebook doesn't disrespect people's privacy out of some ideological hatred for privacy, they disrespect privacy because they monetize the hell out of your personal data. They violate your privacy because they benefit from doing so, and while these benefits are occasionally somewhat remote, it's usually pretty easy to figure out a reason behind them. And the Facebook real name policy makes a ton of sense if they can't easily link your real name to your online identity, but makes very little sense if they can.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Okay, let's assume you're right. Maybe she had another facebook account under her real name and they used that to make the change. So what? How does that invalidate her concern that facebook changed the name of one of her accounts without permission? It's 100% irrelevant to the problem under consideration here, and focusing on it seems to be missing the point, imo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Clarste posted:

Edit: Honestly it sounds kind of like victim-blaming, in that you're saying "if you really didn't want this to happen, you'd have been more careful about protecting your identity!"

I don't think anyone is victim blaming here or defending Meta. Folks just want to understand the actual potential threat surface and not operate under a misunderstanding of what Meta is capable/actually doing.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I thought the main difference here was just how believable it is?

I mean it's a sex worker and now a user on a dead gay comedy forum VS Facebook so I'd believe it either way but I will admit the unwanted account linking thing feels was more likely (and was my initial understanding.)

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Clarste posted:

Okay, let's assume you're right. Maybe she had another facebook account under her real name and they used that to make the change. So what? How does that invalidate her concern that facebook changed the name of one of her accounts without permission? It's 100% irrelevant to the problem under consideration here, and focusing on it seems to be missing the point, imo.

If Meta did that then that was bad and wrong and they shouldn't do it. I think people here broadly agree on that so there's not really anything to debate.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, it sucks either way to have your real name revealed, but those two things are still massively different and you shouldn't be shocked that people want to figure out which one is actually happening.

This whole thing started with people accusing a sex worker of making this up to go viral. I'm saying it's completely understandable that she's angry about it even if she's wrong about how it happened.

And no I don't see a huge difference in missing a fine detail like a check box to merge the account with a real name vs something more secretive. It's the sort of manipulative crap that companies use to get people to reveal information and consent to more than they realize, all the time.

People are overloaded with terms and conditions they agree to as a matter of course.

Did she make a mistake? I assume so. Was that mistake something the company was able to mitigate if they wanted to? Almost certainly. Was that mistake something the company actively wanted to happen and designed their page to encourage? Quite possibly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Adenoid Dan posted:

This whole thing started with people accusing a sex worker of making this up to go viral. I'm saying it's completely understandable that she's angry about it even if she's wrong about how it happened.

And no I don't see a huge difference in missing a fine detail like a check box to merge the account with a real name vs something more secretive. It's the sort of manipulative crap that companies use to get people to reveal information and consent to more than they realize, all the time.

People are overloaded with terms and conditions they agree to as a matter of course.

Did she make a mistake? I assume so. Was that mistake something the company was able to mitigate if they wanted to? Almost certainly. Was that mistake something the company actively wanted to happen and designed their page to encourage? Quite possibly!

Nobody accused her of making it up to go viral, and nobody except you suggested that maybe it's her fault for missing a checkbox. Additionally, no one is defending Meta here.

When someone posts a public warning saying "if you do X, Y might happen to you", some people would like to ascertain whether X directly leads to Y, whether there are other conditions that need to be met for Y to happen, and so on. This is not out of some pathological need to blame the victim, it's out of a need for everyone else to accurately determine how to avoid Y happening to them.

If Meta's data wizards are conjuring people's real names from nothing and applying them regardless of one's own previous actions, then it's not possible to use Threads anonymously, period. If she just missed an account merge checkbox or something and got her real name copied over from one of her other Meta accounts, then that establishes at least two clear ways to use Threads anonymously without self-doxxing if you're sufficiently careful.

That distinction may not matter to her, but it certainly matters to other people who might want to use Threads anonymously, especially people who've already created anonymous Threads accounts and are now staying up at night wondering whether Meta is going to doxx them. If there is a hidden "please doxx me now" checkbox in Threads' signup workflow, then it is actually super loving important that people know where it is, and writing that off as victim-blaming bullshit is actively unhelpful to vulnerable people.