Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

as to whether it's an external experience or internal, the most obvious answer is that it's internal

False dichotomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

gileadexile posted:

My dad took this video the night before last while letting the dog out to do her business.

Starlink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv09dfEAiOA

Depends. Starlink would be moving in a straight line at a steady pace but with the lack of other reference points in the video I can't tell if that is moving or not. If it isn't it's not starlink.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

False dichotomy

im just trying to meet someone on their own terms vOv

like if it's some phenomena that doesn't interact with anything outside your own meat it's still really cool. and if you're a slave to a really boring ontology, i get wanting to lean on what's more 'rational' so vOv idk

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

If you turn the brightness up, you can see the blinking lights of a transmission tower in the bottom right. Not sure if it's radio or what but it's been there for decades.

Dad said if it was moving at all then it was in an easterly direction but it wasnt a steady pace or constant.

I have another version that he says he applied stabilization or something to. I don't know, he uses an IPhone and I'm not very familiar with their stuff.

Here is the "sharpened" version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqLBbzQcDOE

gileadexile has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Jul 12, 2023

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Frog Act posted:

I don’t think I really accept the idea of astral projection as being a legitimate external phenomenon that is in some way capable of discerning or interacting with the physical world outside of the projector, but the idea is cool and the typical model that kind of characterizes it as a type of like ultimate intellectual autonomy, a sort of energy being traversing vast distances across space and time, etc manifesting itself in different ways in different traditions implying it’s a universal experience of some kind pique my woo woo interest.
If we think our bodies are hosts for our actual consciousness and we can astral project that consciousness wherever we want , then it stands to reason we would need to AP ourselves into another host to interact with the physical world again. Just need to find us some robots or grey aliens to jack into...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Marzzle posted:

already hearing lib folks just say "oh it's just 4d chess to convince the russians the USA has secret superweapons and it's very good :smuggo:✊🇺🇦" so I wouldn't get your hopes up

if that's the truth here then they're pretty fuckin dumb to put Grusch out there saying that Russia and China have recovered vehicles too

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

im just trying to meet someone on their own terms vOv

like if it's some phenomena that doesn't interact with anything outside your own meat it's still really cool. and if you're a slave to a really boring ontology, i get wanting to lean on what's more 'rational' so vOv idk

Of course, that's perfectly fine

Human.Frank posted:

If we think our bodies are hosts for our actual consciousness and we can astral project that consciousness wherever we want , then it stands to reason we would need to AP ourselves into another host to interact with the physical world again. Just need to find us some robots or grey aliens to jack into...

Thinking of the body as a host for our "actual consciousness" isn't the correct way to think about it, but it's not bad enough to get in the weeds about either. You have a physical body and a subtle body (sometimes called etheric body or astral body) at all times when you are here. You don't need to send your consciousness into another host, even under your framework, you just are shifting your attention and experience towards the subtle body - something which you do routinely anyway, just without conscious involvement, notice, and/or recollection by the physical mind. AP is one way of doing it with conscious involvement, notice, and/or recollection.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah theyre right though? like thats not all there is to it but its been a value added track for seventy years?

their assumption is usually that there's still no aliens it's just human tech and this is a propaganda campaign to hype it up

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my bony fealty posted:

if that's the truth here then they're pretty fuckin dumb to put Grusch out there saying that Russia and China have recovered vehicles too

contradictions? in MY liberal worldview? it's more likely than you think!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

im going to astral project into jeffreys computer and delete gbs

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Wheeee posted:

I stand with you

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRiItYUF2Ow

A good video and it seems like he's gone down the path many of us have. Sure sounds like he's crack pinged and realized it's either real or the psyop is coming from inside the house and it's so hosed up we're eating our own misinformation, with it looking increasingly likely we're the tribal native trying to pick up j'rooti's trash to fashion arrow points out of them.

Give me the space pepsi

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wheeee posted:

at least target fyad first

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

:lol:

https://twitter.com/RepTimBurchett/status/1679211450831630339?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Give me the space pepsi

just a taste. just a little sip, J'rooti. let me get a hit of that nutrient paste.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

doesnt that caveat make this completely toothless

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*flares nostrils, inhales deeply* smells like....piss

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
ll

mediaphage posted:

doesnt that caveat make this completely toothless

yeah. I think select congress committees will be the new gatekeepers preventing us from getting the truth, rather than the MIC and private corps. they'll know, but the rest of us won't and that will be good enough for them

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022
*drives up to p'nutti window*
Yeah I'd like an A76, two A93s, and a couple of sides of A25, thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/14wgb0n/the_secret_files_of_jacques_vallee/

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

isaboo posted:

ll

yeah. I think select congress committees will be the new gatekeepers preventing us from getting the truth, rather than the MIC and private corps. they'll know, but the rest of us won't and that will be good enough for them

They will actually be lobbied very handsomely for it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFWFN-lzZ48

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Human.Frank posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/14wgb0n/the_secret_files_of_jacques_vallee/

Dead Scientists you say

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Human.Frank posted:

those are the names of the first two hundred episodes of jacques' new podcast he's been working on. coming to you only on stitcher, january 2031

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

the greys must have some feature on their suits to dump their secreted piss out otherwise they’d turn into walking piss balloons

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/cosmicjudas/status/1678926273031069697?t=axYcKFQP4j25RtsOWvsScA&s=19

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

i did it all for the aitee (come on!)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Just gotta have faith

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wheeee posted:

i did it all for the aitee (come on!)

Can we have the Blink guy back?

Or is this some sort of goatee thing? :tinylue:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

my partner and I were talking about this when the Grusch interview aired, disclosure is pretty meaningless because its up to each person to decide what the bar is. even if Biden came out and said yep its all real I would have lots of doubt still. only meeting an alien and seeing a craft myself, or President Xi proclaiming disclosure, would truly convince me.

Yeah, it's the sort of claim that's of such an immense magnitude that (at least for me) it requires actual direct evidence, beyond just the claims of individuals/organizations or unexplained photos/videos (and the more years that continue to pass without it, despite imaging becoming better and more common, just casts increasing doubt).

I think that's where most disagreements over this topic come from - basically exactly how plausible you think the idea of intelligent aliens visiting Earth is (because that determines how you interpret the evidence that does exist). I think the common way of thinking is "where there's smoke there's fire," with people either thinking that 1. it's implausible for certain personal accounts to be inaccurate and/or dishonest or 2. photos/footage we don't understand are likely caused by aliens. I consider it to be similar to someone claiming to have discovered a time travel machine or magic - it's the sort of thing that basically implies that something fundamental about our understanding of the universe is completely wrong (in this case its size and special relativity, which basically mean that anything aside from probes or one-way trips isn't very plausible, because the very concept of a coherent "interstellar civilization" doesn't really make sense without a level of technology that is akin to magic). I think it's just very hard for people to wrap their heads around how big the universe is. It's one thing to "know" how big it is, but another to really grasp what that means. And it's pretty easy/tempting to handwave away that sort of technological advancement ("we went to the moon so quickly, so surely in hundreds of years it should be possible to travel through the galaxy").

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Human.Frank posted:

Tag yourself I am baboon glow

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

finally!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's the sort of claim that's of such an immense magnitude that (at least for me) it requires actual direct evidence, beyond just the claims of individuals/organizations or unexplained photos/videos (and the more years that continue to pass without it, despite imaging becoming better and more common, just casts increasing doubt).

I think that's where most disagreements over this topic come from - basically exactly how plausible you think the idea of intelligent aliens visiting Earth is (because that determines how you interpret the evidence that does exist). I think the common way of thinking is "where there's smoke there's fire," with people either thinking that 1. it's implausible for certain personal accounts to be inaccurate and/or dishonest or 2. photos/footage we don't understand are likely caused by aliens. I consider it to be similar to someone claiming to have discovered a time travel machine or magic - it's the sort of thing that basically implies that something fundamental about our understanding of the universe is completely wrong (in this case its size and special relativity, which basically mean that anything aside from probes or one-way trips isn't very plausible, because the very concept of a coherent "interstellar civilization" doesn't really make sense without a level of technology that is akin to magic). I think it's just very hard for people to wrap their heads around how big the universe is. It's one thing to "know" how big it is, but another to really grasp what that means. And it's pretty easy/tempting to handwave away that sort of technological advancement ("we went to the moon so quickly, so surely in hundreds of years it should be possible to travel through the galaxy").

i’m not saying i have any idea what’s going on but - you can get away with interstellar travel within the laws of known physics if you can approach close to light speed and never exceed it. it would require passengers of any kind to not care about the world outside the ship since it would be subject to extreme time dilation effects

naturally this is still far and away outside anything we’re capable of by a large margin so i don’t know if the distinction truly matters

edit: for that matter warp drives are also theoretically compatible with known physics even though we can’t do it

mediaphage has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Jul 12, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ytlaya posted:

We already 100% know this to be the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_physics

Even sticking to the limitations as we currently understand them, we're just over 100 years removed from inventing loving planes. There's virtually nothing to infer regarding the practicality of sending self-replicating machines around.

edit2: We also have proof of concept for warp drives with distant galaxies seemingly receding from us ftl.

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Jul 12, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Whoopsie it all does

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/tinyklaus/status/1642848084714553345?s=20

Humans aren't special

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Humans are special and we will conquer the empty stars and number will continue to go up

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Humans aren't special

oh yea? i dont see no naledi around here

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wheeee posted:

oh yea? i dont see no naledi around here

They've ascended to orbhood

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

this guy (Klaus) has some fun articles, he's doing one now linking the Golden Lily fund and general Western intelligence pro-fascism organizations to UFOs, funny stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
xposting from the cryptids thread in PYF, I was going to wait until something else dropped next week but I can't stand it, I finally up and scanned the book Mute Evidence that I can never shut up about, a 1984 analysis of cattle mutilations by Daniel Kagan and Ian Summers with tons of granular detail. This marks the book's digital debut and I feel like it's a vital resource for current UFO/conspiracy research: https://archive.org/details/mute-evidence-compressed/mode/2up

please excuse my amateur cropping at times, also I committed a cardinal sin and just smushed my battered copy down on the scanner for 500 pages :sweatdrop: