Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Microsoft didn't go out and spend 70bil on Activision-Blizzard because they're in need of saving. They did it because they're as close to a sure thing as you can get in the games industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also in january of this year wow had 9.5 million players. obviously prices vary based on region/certain deals and but if you just say each of those guys paid 15 bucks at the start of that month thats almost 150 million dollars, but lets fudge it and say 100 mill.

heres a list of the significant new content wow released in january:

a wing of an lfr raid

done

i do not think this cost 100 million dollars to develop

and thats not even counting cash shop and people buying the base game/expac or buying multiple months at once

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

also in january of this year wow had 9.5 million players. obviously prices vary based on region/certain deals and but if you just say each of those guys paid 15 bucks at the start of that month thats almost 150 million dollars, but lets fudge it and say 100 mill.

a wing of an lfr raid

done

and thats not even counting cash shop and people buying the base game/expac or buying multiple months at once

Where are you getting the 9.5 number? Last I heard they were around 3, down from the all time peak of 12 around Wrath-Cata.

I would be hugely surprised if they had managed to get back above 5, much less 9.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Where are you getting the 9.5 number? Last I heard they were around 3, down from the all time peak of 12 around Wrath-Cata.

I would be hugely surprised if they had managed to get back above 5, much less 9.
oh gently caress me this was saying 'monthly players' not 'monthly subs' lmao. thats probably including free trial players, though its wild to me that there are that many free trial players, my bad. the actual monthly sub numbers seems to be 4.5 mill?

still though the point of 'an insane amount of free money' remains

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Endorph posted:

oh gently caress me this was saying 'monthly players' not 'monthly subs' lmao. thats probably including free trial players, though its wild to me that there are that many free trial players, my bad. the actual monthly sub numbers seems to be 4.5 mill?

still though the point of 'an insane amount of free money' remains

pure conjecture but i would be surprised if cash shop whaling wasn't at least 50% of the revenue for that game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

pure conjecture but i would be surprised if cash shop whaling wasn't at least 50% of the revenue for that game

yeah, theres a reason they forced it into classic even though they knew itd drive some people away

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1679105856863100928

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

People were saying COD was on shaky ground back in 2013-14 when Ghosts and Infinite Warfare shat up the joint. So “COD is dying” is very much in believe it when it happens territory. But also to get out of that Ghosts induced slump they had to pull out the emergency cards of “Back to World War 2” and “Remake Modern Warfare” and it’s going to be a while before they can play the second card again.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

njsykora posted:

People were saying COD was on shaky ground back in 2013-14 when Ghosts and Infinite Warfare shat up the joint. So “COD is dying” is very much in believe it when it happens territory. But also to get out of that Ghosts induced slump they had to pull out the emergency cards of “Back to World War 2” and “Remake Modern Warfare” and it’s going to be a while before they can play the second card again.

How long until they do a Ukraine v Russia CoD?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They are only doing the Iraq War *now* so I imagine it's gonna take at least 15 years. They will play with the *aesthetics* of Russia v Ukraine immediately though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

njsykora posted:

I never said dying, I'm saying with how their plans are structured Acti could be badly snookered by a bad release as they can't cycle fast enough and don't have fallbacks.

MS is thinking they can absorb some failed CODs to try and gain an advantage in the console wars.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

pure conjecture

New thread title.

Endorph posted:

a wing of an lfr raid

done

This isn't how profitability works, unfortunately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

obviously theres the cost of keeping the servers up and moderation staff too, and stuff that you're working on that hasnt come out yet, but idk how millions of people giving you 15 bucks a month could be, not, profitable

there was a period where square enix was kept afloat 75% because of ff14

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

StratGoatCom posted:

I never said dying, I'm saying with how their plans are structured Acti could be badly snookered by a bad release as they can't cycle fast enough and don't have fallbacks.

they've been making at least one new cod every year for 20 years dude what on earth are you talking about? one bad release is not going to sink activision

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Endorph posted:

obviously theres the cost of keeping the servers up and moderation staff too, and stuff that you're working on that hasnt come out yet, but idk how millions of people giving you 15 bucks a month could be, not, profitable

I remember back in the day that it was said that a large percentage of WoW subs from overseas (especially numbers from China) paid minimal since they paid by the hour to play or something like that. It's been so long that I've forgotten the specifics though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they've been making at least one new cod every year for 20 years dude what on earth are you talking about? one bad release is not going to sink activision

I already was over that, COD can no longer annualize.

Wouldn't be one, but it could easily be the start of a spiral

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

StratGoatCom posted:

I already was over that, COD can no longer annualize.

They keep saying this, and yet there's a full brand new title coming out this holiday season. I'll believe it when I see it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

leper khan posted:

How long until they do a Ukraine v Russia CoD?

Probably like 3-4 years? Last year's CoD lets the player do the Soleimani assassination (with a vaguely different name, of course), to give an idea of how long it takes for current events to flow into that pipeline.

As far as CoD sales goes, for the record they've outright said that the latest game, MW2 (2022), has been the fastest selling in the series and was also the best selling game in the US in 2022.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't see CoD's release schedule changing anytime soon. It's still the best selling game every single year. People just have terrible taste in games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

they cant time travel into just the dead months with no content
they only have subs during those dead months because of the crap they release before and afterwards. for which they still have ongoing development expenses.
even when they don't finish anything in a given month, they still have to pay the salary of their full team of devs who are working on the next big patch or expansion or whatever

Feels Villeneuve posted:

How big is COD Mobile going still? I think that's been one of the big hits for them especially in places like India.

it is actually being shut down so they can replace it with "warzone mobile" aka cod mobile 2
however it's still in like the top 10 highest grossing apps on both ios and android. they're doing fine.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 12, 2023

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I remember back in the day that it was said that a large percentage of WoW subs from overseas (especially numbers from China) paid minimal since they paid by the hour to play or something like that. It's been so long that I've forgotten the specifics though.

That was mostly in China, and well.... Actiblizz notably isn't in China anymore

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

njsykora posted:

I think it's really a case of the series being the biggest money-maker also requires it to be the biggest money-spender, the machine needs to keep going or it will stall forever, which is why it's set up to pump out yearly releases, it literally has to. Everyone's aware that such development infrastructure is unsustainable, some are just placing early bets on when it collapses. But yeah, I think the 'A' in the 'ABK' deal is the riskiest part. The K is the easy money and a boon to future platform infrastructure for MS.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

CBD Corndog posted:

That was mostly in China, and well.... Actiblizz notably isn't in China anymore
Bobby Kotick personally hosed that up: https://www.eurogamer.net/activision-boss-bobby-kotick-reportedly-felt-threatened-by-netease-ceo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1679245993156710400?t=Yvv53TBKL-OeK1A8sqjb3g&s=19

https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1679246005827665920?t=ivvvj1uGcIp8l-7fWsV2HA&s=19

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 13, 2023

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trade-desk-inc-join-nasdaq-014600162.html

Looks like it's going to happen on Monday regardless of anything else.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Endorph posted:

a wing of an lfr raid
Sure if you ignore the brand new expansion that launched 1 month and 2 days earlier

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Also WoW Classic released Ulduar in January which was widely regarded as the finest raid Blizzard ever made.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1680578783718383616

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it’s a done deal lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Next call of duty game comes out and it's a pay to win tower defense game. At the same time Xbox announce new multi-player army shootery game "duty to call".

Honestly though I'd hate to read through the contract for a deal like this. I've seen how long and boring contracts for utterly inconsequential things can be, I'd imagine something like this involving two multinationals - with Sony probably very worried MS might try something fishy-- would be a nightmare to try and get through.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

You wonder how much Sony, the FTC and the CMA could’ve extracted in concessions from Microsoft if they’d actually tried. The FTC especially.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now just imagine if, after all of this wrangling around, Microsoft finally gets their hands on CoD… just after it somehow reaches peak saturation and comes plummeting back down.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Now just imagine if, after all of this wrangling around, Microsoft finally gets their hands on CoD… just after it somehow reaches peak saturation and comes plummeting back down.

Yeah that’s not gonna happen

https://twitter.com/charlieintel/status/1679498345507696641?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Regalingualius posted:

That would require COD players overcoming their illness, which I just don't see as by all current medical research the sickness is unfortunately always terminal. :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.zleague.gg/theportal/diablo-players-react-to-ai-writing-articles-based-on-reddit-posts/

This zleague site has an ai chatbot reading the diablo reddit and writing articles automatically based on what the redditors are saying, and the redditors notice and start talking about the ai chatbot writing articles based on the reddit, and the result is the ai chatbot writing an article about itself, feels like we're going to see a lot more of this

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Assepoester posted:

https://www.zleague.gg/theportal/diablo-players-react-to-ai-writing-articles-based-on-reddit-posts/

This zleague site has an ai chatbot reading the diablo reddit and writing articles automatically based on what the redditors are saying, and the redditors notice and start talking about the ai chatbot writing articles based on the reddit, and the result is the ai chatbot writing an article about itself, feels like we're going to see a lot more of this

Hahaha, I actually just reported that site to Google because after clicking on a couple of the articles, I could tell it was all written by AI and utter trash.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AI written articles have become a gigantic issue in the gaming space. I’m not sure about else where, I assume so? But I’ve just noticed it’s out of control now for gaming. Like, at least loving proof read the article before publishing, it’s not that hard lol.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They're hyper optimised for Google too so searching for any kind of guide is now starting to bring up this poo poo instead of the Reddit page or something written by an actual human.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
idk if it's related, but for me google results have been getting even worse than usual lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

njsykora posted:

They're hyper optimised for Google too so searching for any kind of guide is now starting to bring up this poo poo instead of the Reddit page or something written by an actual human.

GameFAQs time to shine again