Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Reddish-brown stag beetle my wife found on the driveway. Spoilered ‘cause it’s dead, but you can’t really tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
vaguely related to this thread, I got recommended this random video of a guy's amateur terrarium with millipedes and roly polys and stuff he seemingly picked up outside and I think it's amusing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUUnud6CcE&hd=1

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Couple of damselflies that posed for me on my walk the other day

Also the rabbits in my local park are ridiculously chill despite the large numbers of dogs

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Captain Invictus posted:

vaguely related to this thread, I got recommended this random video of a guy's amateur terrarium with millipedes and roly polys and stuff he seemingly picked up outside and I think it's amusing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUUnud6CcE&hd=1

much more entertaining than expected, thank you for sharing this!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

A fresh batch of Phoebe fledglings just about ready to take the leap of faith.

Ever since I moved into this house 8 years ago (and for some time before that as they had already commandeered the sparrow nest before then) Phoebes have come every year to nest. I haven't done anything to it as it seems to be working well for them. This is the second batch this year. It's right above my bedroom window so I get to hear the chicks whine for food in the morning, and it's fun to watch the parents swoop around all day getting food and doing whatever else they do.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Always fun when young birds are just barely too young to move out of the nest, they always look funny when they're getting too big to be all crammed in there together.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
super bright green and yellow rear end spider strung a web between a chair and the door today so I snapped some photos before the cats got to her

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Always fun when young birds are just barely too young to move out of the nest, they always look funny when they're getting too big to be all crammed in there together.

I've been watching this momma Nuthatch raise her three kids. They follow her around and generally do what she does. It's cute.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think I saw a catbird feeding another catbird the other day. It looked fully grown but I assumed it was very young and just hadn't quite gotten a handle on this eating thing yet. They were both scrounging around under my bird feeder, but one would periodically go to the other which would open its mouth and then the first one would put something in it. Looked like feeding to me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Just saw one of the fledgings flying around :kiddo: it was hilarious, it was going super slow and going right at walls and stuff like 'oh god how do I steer, maybe I can grab onto this, oh no down I go' while the parent was nearby chirping away at it.

Edit: and they're all gone now

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 13, 2023

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Murdstone posted:

I think I saw a catbird feeding another catbird the other day. It looked fully grown but I assumed it was very young and just hadn't quite gotten a handle on this eating thing yet. They were both scrounging around under my bird feeder, but one would periodically go to the other which would open its mouth and then the first one would put something in it. Looked like feeding to me.

Yes, by the time birds fledge (fly out of the nest), they are fully grown. They might not have the same plumage the adults will have, but they're full size. The parents will still follow the fledgling around and continue to feed it and gradually wean it off of feeding it while it learns to hunt/forage for itself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Only tangentially relevant because I was mixing up catbirds and cowbirds, but there's a kind of funny part to the fact that cowbirds lay their eggs in the nests of other birds who are very often quite a bit smaller than they are. The parasitism part is unfortunate, but I can't help laughing when I see one of those parents feeding a baby bird who's already two or three times their own size, it just looks so absurd.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I had a bear attack on my bird feeder. The feeder is gone. Last time this happened it took me weeks to find it out in the middle of the forest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I loving love catbirds. It's probably my favorite of your average small everyday bird, they are just so hilarious to me, their calls are this incredible buildup of seemingly frustrated EEEH! EEEEEHHHHH! EEEEHHHHH!!!! and then it crescendoes into EEEEEHWEH! EEEEEHWEHH!!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We had a fledgling bluebird come to our porch feeder with its parents once. It was adorable. It had no idea what the feeder rules were so it did things like fly right up when a cardinal was already on it (which is Not Done by smaller birds and confused the heck out of the cardinal) or keep hanging out under the feeder to eat the fallen seeds while we ate dinner a foot away.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Captain Invictus posted:

I loving love catbirds. It's probably my favorite of your average small everyday bird, they are just so hilarious to me, their calls are this incredible buildup of seemingly frustrated EEEH! EEEEEHHHHH! EEEEHHHHH!!!! and then it crescendoes into EEEEEHWEH! EEEEEHWEHH!!

I heard one at a botanical garden once and did an apparently passable version of its call back at it, because it flew out of the tree it was in, landed on a cactus, looked at me and I swear it looked indignant.

I'll never forget the first time I encountered one and discovered what it was after googling "cat that sounds like a bird" and felt like a dummy.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Gray Catbirds flipping the switch from MYYEAH to their repertoire of mimicry is always a trip too like oh you actually have a crazy range of beautiful songs but your default is MNEEAH

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I like their rusty lil butts :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

free hubcaps posted:

I like their rusty lil butts :3:

me too!! A hidden burst of color.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

their black caps always make me think of jim carrey in dumb and dumber

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Catbirds sound like they're trying to sing every single song at once and meow every time they forget a line

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Gray Catbirds flipping the switch from MYYEAH to their repertoire of mimicry is always a trip too like oh you actually have a crazy range of beautiful songs but your default is MNEEAH

Oh my god, yes, I love them so much! :3: They're always so entertaining to watch/listen to. Aaaaa I love catbirds.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Guess who's back
Back again
Turkey's back
Tell a friend

Now this guy is a big turkey
He really likes some blueberries
Modern dinosaur, but smaller please
With a quirky personality
:slick:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Does the turkey have any friends?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Love wild turkeys. Back when I was a kid, we lived out in the country by some woods, and we raised chickens that we were able to let out to roam on nice days. One of my favorite things was when a local flock of wild turkeys would occasionally wander up to the yard, they and the chickens didn't know what to make of each other at first, but they pretty quickly learned to get along and would just hang out in the yard hunting around for food together :buddy:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

redshirt posted:

Does the turkey have any friends?

I’ve seen a couple others in a nearby field but only one so far that’s hung around close. Love the little quiet clucks they make :3:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Love wild turkeys. Back when I was a kid, we lived out in the country by some woods, and we raised chickens that we were able to let out to roam on nice days. One of my favorite things was when a local flock of wild turkeys would occasionally wander up to the yard, they and the chickens didn't know what to make of each other at first, but they pretty quickly learned to get along and would just hang out in the yard hunting around for food together :buddy:

I wonder if you are idealizing this memory. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem right to me domestic chickens and wild turkeys would just hang out. Or be allowed to hang out. Also, turkeys were much rarer decades ago.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

redshirt posted:

I wonder if you are idealizing this memory. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem right to me domestic chickens and wild turkeys would just hang out. Or be allowed to hang out. Also, turkeys were much rarer decades ago.

What an odd place to try gatekeeping.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

redshirt posted:

They probably shouldn't be allowed to hang out, as they can spread disease to each other, but they will coexist happily.

Also, op didn't post where they live that I saw, so it seems weird to speculate on the wild turkey population in their area at an unspecified point of time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There were plenty of turkeys where I grew up, turkey hunting was a big thing. Anyways, I didn't mean to make it sound like they were happily rushing to hang out together, they just peacefully coexisted like birds at a feeder.

I definitely didn't think about diseases at the time though, we had a small isolated flock so hopefully they didn't share anything with the turkeys.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

redshirt posted:

In rural South Dakota, you will find a pheasant or 2 that decides that it likes life with the chickens better than having to find food outside a farm. Not recommended to keep them together cause of disease, but it happens.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

redshirt posted:

:dafuq:

My late grandpa had a decent sized property in upstate NY with a chicken coop on the property & we'd see turkeys or other wild birds a LOT. Not in the "eat out of your hand" tame sense but just sorta mingling around the other animals & picking up any leftover scraps that were tossed about. I've actually been more fascinated with them & their behavior ever since I watched an older documentary called My Life As A Turkey, really shines light on how they react & how easily we overlook/miss little details in nature. Here's a link for anyone interested in checking it out, it's about an hour long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENr62-oWyPs

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What kind of spider did I rescue from my cat? They were tangled in hair/dust/cobwebs. I carefully pulled off as much as I can from their legs and let them outside. Location central Alabama.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Some kind of wolf spider I think.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah same, but some grass spiders look like they could be similar so I was curious. They are super common, this isn't even the first one I've had to rescue.

mystes
May 31, 2006

try posting it on r/spiders on reddit. that's probably the best place to get an id

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mystes posted:

try posting it on r/spiders on reddit. that's probably the best place to get an id

we will not besmirch the sanctity of this thread and its years of critter identification by sending people off-site for help!!!!!!!

i'm j/k do whatever you need to do to satisfy your curiosity, though coming here first is my favorite thing in the world because i like accidentally triggering a Goon Expert into multiple paragraphs about types of pedipalps and bee history

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

why did the tiny lobster cross the street?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

poverty goat posted:

why did the tiny lobster cross the street?

To snip snop a motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

chubby garter snake. probably got a toad in him