Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

New game for a new page: why does Super Mario Odyssey have an unskippable dialogue scene where your sentient hat companion tells you very basic control tips every time you travel between worlds? It's part of a cutscene barrage that I assume disguises some loading time, but honestly I'd rather just have a loading screen than hear the hat guy go HEY DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN PRESS ZL TO CROUCH when I'm in endgame territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The two Zelda reboot games

What are the reboot games?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

credburn posted:

Every one of them besides the first two.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bawk posted:

Nope this is correct, it also locks quest rewards to your level and they don't scale with your level afterwards. So if you get the Dawnbreaker sword at level 15, you will forever have a Level 15 scaled Dawnbreaker sword. Any sufficiently magical and wondrous item, even ones gifted to you from the Aedra or Daedra themselves, would be less than worthless compared to what a Journeyman/Expert/Master blacksmith/enchanter could create using raw materials from a mine and some soul gems.

I think it's worth pointing out that the greatest NPC blacksmith in skyrim has a a smithing skill of 44.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
This "chase down Maddocks" mission in Everspace 2 seems much harder than everything that's come before it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that the greatest NPC blacksmith in skyrim has a a smithing skill of 44.

This is even funnier because you can't make Ebony weapons until Smithing 80, but they're all over the item pool as random drops. Somehow when you level up enough, enemies still find the random armory of weapons to distribute between every bandit in the world (that no smith could actually make besides you)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CJacobs posted:

That I don't agree with. The outfit menuing in TOTK is annoying as hell and holding X should either equip the whole outfit or loadout slots. It completely drains the tension in a boss battle or a climactic moment like approaching a dragon to lilting piano music when you get DING DING DING, LINK'S BALLSACK IS SHRIVELING

I hated having to do stupid mental calculations like - okay, I'm skydiving, is it worth spending the time navigating menus to switch to the skydiving armor for better air control (and then back to my previous armor afterwards) or is it faster to not bother? I feel like all those "utility" type effects should've just been upgrades I could unlock for Link permanently somehow.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

In Breath of the Wild the armor I wore was whatever last armor the game forced me to wear because gently caress changing armors all the time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Fallout 76 has cards that you swap around that give you various bonuses to combat or crafting. For the first two years of its release (maybe this still is the case) there was no way to create like a "deck" or handful of cards you would use for various instances. For example, if I want to craft something, I'd have to remove all my combat cards and swap them around for all my crafting cards, and then back again when I'm done crafting.

I got banned from Fallout 76 for using a mod that just let me hot-swap them :(

Because gently caress the literal hours that will add to a game that has two main focuses: combat and loving crafting!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bawk posted:

Nope this is correct, it also locks quest rewards to your level and they don't scale with your level afterwards. So if you get the Dawnbreaker sword at level 15, you will forever have a Level 15 scaled Dawnbreaker sword. Any sufficiently magical and wondrous item, even ones gifted to you from the Aedra or Daedra themselves, would be less than worthless compared to what a Journeyman/Expert/Master blacksmith/enchanter could create using raw materials from a mine and some soul gems.
See in puzzle quest a level 20-25 enemy that you encounter at level 20 will be a level 20 enemy, but if you wander off and come back at level 25 he'll also be 25. And the exact same reward drops regardless of the level you defeat them.

Rockman Reserve posted:

the thing about scaled content is even if it's implemented 'well', the end result is still to make a game feel boring and same-y. why the gently caress shouldn't there be areas full of high-level enemies that i shouldn't wander into unprepared? why is beating a boss any kind of accomplishment when its stats scale down to something the game is confident you can win against? it's one hard-to-implement change that has almost zero benefit and instantly sucks tons of variety and flavor out of a game. it's just wild that it's a design philosophy that so many major companies go back to time and time again.
That's what's great about the puzzle quest version. Your wander into a 20-25 area at level 10 you're going to get wrecked. Wander in at level 30 and it's a cakewalk. But levels 20 to 25 you'll be getting the intended difficulty and game experience whether you've blitzed into the dungeon as soon as you entered the zone or spent three levels wrapping up side quests first.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rockman Reserve posted:

the thing about scaled content is even if it's implemented 'well', the end result is still to make a game feel boring and same-y. why the gently caress shouldn't there be areas full of high-level enemies that i shouldn't wander into unprepared? why is beating a boss any kind of accomplishment when its stats scale down to something the game is confident you can win against? it's one hard-to-implement change that has almost zero benefit and instantly sucks tons of variety and flavor out of a game. it's just wild that it's a design philosophy that so many major companies go back to time and time again.

I think they do this poo poo to keep people from level farming too much. Except all they have to do is limit the opportunities to do that and make most things finite. Or, do like the Dark Souls games where leveling doesn't really make a huge difference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
WoW also does the thing where areas have a level floor and ceiling. It's a good system and keeps more content relevant and interesting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phigs posted:

In Breath of the Wild the armor I wore was whatever last armor the game forced me to wear because gently caress changing armors all the time.

I just never bothered changing out of the Fierce Diety set because why would I?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Triarii posted:

I feel like all those "utility" type effects should've just been upgrades I could unlock for Link permanently somehow.

Hard agree. Even if you wanted to keep the area-dependent stuff (hot weather gear, cold weather gear, glow armor for the depths), I think that: climbing speed, swimming speed (and waterfall swimming), lava-area fire protection, non-slip climbing, skydiving aerial control, sneakiness, Zonai device efficiency, and attack up should all have been permanent upgrades. It'd give you a lot more of a feeling of progression if you got to unlock a small climbing speed bonus instead of getting a hat that you're never ever going to put on because putting it on and switching back to the attack-up armor is going to take longer than the amount of time saved in climbing up one cliff.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Games with a useless title screen that has zero options aside from "press button to continue" which only then takes you to the functional title screen where you can start/load a game or set options. Bonus points if the only quit option in-game is to return to this screen rather than quit to desktop, more bonus points if the majority of loading time between starting the app and actually being able to hit game start is after the useless title screen rather than before, and a billion points if hitting escape on the useful title screen takes you back to the useless one instead of quitting so you need to wait for both to load again.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Games with only one save slot can go screw.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I presume cyberpunk doesn't have any level scaling because I side quested my way to level 50 and now I can just 'switch off' big groups of people like some kind of cyber god and it loving owns. If you can level a character up in a game you should be able to level them up into a terrifying dreadnought that can obliterate the final boss with a thought

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Breetai posted:

Games with a useless title screen that has zero options aside from "press button to continue" which only then takes you to the functional title screen where you can start/load a game or set options. Bonus points if the only quit option in-game is to return to this screen rather than quit to desktop, more bonus points if the majority of loading time between starting the app and actually being able to hit game start is after the useless title screen rather than before, and a billion points if hitting escape on the useful title screen takes you back to the useless one instead of quitting so you need to wait for both to load again.

Assassin's Creed, I'm looking at you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Breetai posted:

Games with a useless title screen that has zero options aside from "press button to continue" which only then takes you to the functional title screen where you can start/load a game or set options.

Metal Gear Survive hilariously had the opposite, where you could not quit the game from anywhere except the splash screen. Not even the start menu. So to quit the game you have to load your save, go back to the title menu (NOT character select), then hit quit instead of start. :downs:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Metal Gear Survive also had one of my other fundamental pet peeves in game design, always online requirements. Your router had a hiccup while you're doing single player and never planning to connect with an online player ever? gently caress you, we're shutting this poo poo down NOW

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it's honestly my only major complaint of an otherwise pretty stellar game. It was marred by microtransactions lengthening something that should have been a fun co-op adventure. Having to wait 24 real life hours between base defense waves, which you must be present for in realtime or else it'll be simulated, was just pointless.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah, Survive is a pretty decent single player game with a bunch of mobile/facebook game mechanics that drag it down that only exist for the tacked on multiplayer postgame.

Hel has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Jul 11, 2023

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Level scaling and all that gets weird when you’re playing a game like Witcher 3 and you’re a verified badass with two games of combat behind you, but oops you got swiped by a random wolf 5 levels above you and now you’re dead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doing the save the elf from the angry mob event when they were 6 levels above me and could kill me in 3 hits felt super badass tho

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Philippe posted:

Assassin's Creed, I'm looking at you

Oh yeah, trying to quite out of that was a right odyssey. Took almost a full minute if you did it as intended instead of just hitting alt+f4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pbita6u8xI

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Nuebot posted:

Skyrim was less obnoxious about it but I've never played a game where I liked levelscaling. The worst thing, in my opinion, a game can do is make getting stronger feel absolutely redundant. In most games you get stronger because the threats get stronger so you always keep on a sort of curve with them or else you find yourself getting murdered by the red slime. But in the recent elder scrolls and fallouts it's the reverse so the game starts off easy, and never really gets hard? Enemies just start getting better. The guy who takes two hits to kill will always take two hits to kill. In theory at least.

Because it's super hosed up at times, if you're someone like me who likes to level skills like thieving and stealth, so you wind up with a handful of non-combat skills bloating your level, go to a zombie cave and instead of it being full of zombies you can stab to death with your sneak attacks it's full of jacked up freaks that you can't hurt and will one shot you instantly because they don't give a poo poo what skills leveled you, just that you leveled.

Assassin's creed greece was the worst for this for me. It felt like levelling up actively made my character weaker because despite the ability unlocks my gear was suddenly poo poo

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Crying Suns is a perfectly acceptable little FTL ripoff with a quite intriguing plot hook. You wake up, in a cloning facility in the middle of far flung nowhere space, and have to try to figure out why all the AIs that used to run the universe have shut down, utterly fracturing civilisation. And of course there's the usual predictable space pirates and rogue AIs and religious zealots and mad scientists and all that good stuff.

Except there's a loooooot of references to sexual assault. And harems. And "babymakers". And the pirates crack jokes about it whenever you confront them. At least two minibosses I've encountered have said they're going to take me and my crew as sex slaves, and the first major boss has just gone on an extended tirade about how she's going to keep me as her pet and make me grovel at her feet. It's gone beyond "okay they're trying to emphasise that deep space is awful" and into "oh okay this is someone's fetish". It's really spoiling what would have otherwise been a nice little time killer.

Skulker has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Jul 11, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skulker posted:

Crying Suns is a perfectly acceptable little FTL ripoff with a quite intriguing plot hook. You wake up, in a cloning facility in the middle of far flung nowhere space, and have to try to figure out why all the AIs that used to run the universe have shut down, utterly fracturing civilisation. And of course there's the usual predictable space pirates and rogue AIs and religious zealots and mad scientists and all that good stuff.
Tell me more

Skulker posted:

Except there's a loooooot of references to sexual assault. And harems. And "babymakers". And the pirates crack jokes about it whenever you confront them. At least two minibosses I've encountered have said they're going to take me and my crew as sex slaves, and the first major boss has just gone on an extended tirade about how she's going to keep me as her pet and make me grovel at her feet. It's gone beyond "okay they're trying to emphasise that deep space is awful" and into "oh okay this is someone's fetish". It's really spoiling what would have otherwise been a nice little time killer.
Please do not tell me more

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it doesn't really come across as a fetish imo. it just comes across as insanely hamfisted and one-note. kinda like the game, which i disliked

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The ending is also dumb as gently caress, after a plot that is a series of

Protagonist: Hello! AREA BOSS! YOU TOTALLY RUINED THE WORLD.
Boss: No I didn't, I am just an unrelated rear end in a top hat.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it doesn't really come across as a fetish imo. it just comes across as insanely hamfisted and one-note. kinda like the game, which i disliked

Ah, like the Someguy series of New Vegas mods.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm giving Dying Light 2 another try since a recent patch supposedly improved it quite a bit, but the whole day/night mechanic seems way more annoying than interesting. The basic concept is solid: The zombies hate light, so during the day they're usually holed up inside various buildings, making those no-go zones. During the night they go outside and are way more aggressive, which means navigating the city is a lot more dangerous but now also all the buildings are largely empty and you can scavenge those for goodies.

So far so good, but the main problem is that they way they're trying to impose extra danger during the night is through a chase mechanic. There are various super zombies patrolling the rooftops and if they spot you they'll start chasing you, drawing other zombies to them, and the only way to end it is to run away to a safe zone. And the issue is that those fuckers are everywhere, and at least in the early game appear to be functionally unkillable. So in practice what the day/night mechanic works out to is: If you want to do any of the interesting activities it's gotta be at night, but then you'll either be stealthing around those guys or interrupting whatever you're doing to escape a chase, both of which very quickly become more tedious than interesting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I played it back at release, but the screamer zombies were very killable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I played it back at release, but the screamer zombies were very killable.

Not the screamer ones, the... volatiles, I think the game calls them? The kinda armoured-looking ones with the split jaw like the one that bites you in the prologue. I tried fighting them at first, but they basically take off half my health on a hit, seem to have huge health, and will regularly lock you in a QTE if they catch up to you during the chase.

fake edit: Looking it up, it looks like at release those used to only come out during very prolonged chases, and the recent patch changed it up so that they just kinda hang out outside and can start a chase directly. So much for the patch making things better :psyduck:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah those guys are much tougher. It's either explosives or the crossbow for them.
(At least at release the crossbow was incredibly OP)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the way volatiles work post-patch is not at all how they used to. Previously they only came to explore when you made significant noise, THEN patrolled, and were nigh unkillable to encourage you to flee. They basically never roamed the street unless noise happened before you got there. Now you can fight them pretty easily and they are just tougher, more aware standard zombies. Except they still trigger the huge chase. It stinks!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hitman 2 is a great game so far but on a technical level it is unreliable.

The biggest thing is that it crashes frequently. Is there some memory leak problem that they could never fix?

The constant online connection the game requires has probably been griped about enough I don't need to add my own 2 cents but I don't care about it except for the fact it cuts out. Being interrupted during play with a dialogue box about the dropped connection is annoying, especially since it could just be patient or try reestablishing connection itself without my input and solve the problem every time because it's not my internet that's cutting out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thing dragging down Bioshock Infinite that also drags down a lot of 2010s PC ports: you sprint at all times. They made it so that wasd moves you at the maximum player speed, so you can't make tiny movements and adjust in gunfights because one tap shoves you a whole body length away. But it also means you rush through the environments in seconds and don't have time to admire the detail.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

During the pandemic, I got back into playing games regularly after a 10 year+ hiatus, so I had a lot of stuff to catch up on.
I was really looking forward to Alien: Isolation. The reviews were great, the screenshots I saw looked amazing, and the whole sneak around, avoid combat as much as possible thing really suits the way I like to approach games.

But even putting the pacing issues and endless backtracking aside, the design of the Sebastopol as a coherent, interconnected space is just terrible. I felt lost 90% of the time, no-where felt realistically connected to anywhere else. Even within a fairly small area, the placement of the doorways linking one room to another felt arbitrary and meaningless.

It was a real pity, because the visual design and audio aesthetic evoked the 'feel' of 'Alien' perfectly.