Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Welp, lost a pearlscale goldfish, rip. Water parameters all normal. I think a 35g (heated) container pond just isn’t suitable for fancy goldfish with the temp swings around here in the Bay Area

Edit: maybe I should’ve had the heater set on something higher like 72 instead of 65

goldfish are famously cold water fish

like the archetypal “cold water fish”

in the summertime in hot climates people run chillers on their tanks to keep their temps subtropical

(TLDR, I don’t think having a heater “too low” at 65 in Bay Area summer is the problem)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

goldfish are famously cold water fish

like the archetypal “cold water fish”

in the summertime in hot climates people run chillers on their tanks to keep their temps subtropical

(TLDR, I don’t think having a heater “too low” at 65 in Bay Area summer is the problem)

Maybe the water just got too hot then :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

You don’t bother with a heater? Whereabouts are you? I’m in Dublin.

I'm near Concord

And yeah goldfish don't need a heater. They were bred in outdoor ponds for 500 years in Japan that would ice over in the winter, they're not tropical fish at all

Mine lived outside (on the east coast) all last year including a three week stretch where the water was so cold ice was forming on the surface

That's also why I have rice fish, they also tolerate 32F-104F for brief periods of time 1-2 weeks. I think goldfish are slightly less tolerant, they're more like 32F-95F but they will deal with a frozen over pond for several weeks, they are the definition of cold water fish

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

Maybe the water just got too hot then :(

I have a bunch of water pond plants you can have

Note two platinum rice fish near bottom of photo

Plants do triple duty:

1 hide fish from predators
2 slurp up 99% of fish pee
3 shades the pond keeping water temps way way down

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What’s that one stalk with the rings of leaves in the lower left? I’m always looking for more options.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

What’s that one stalk with the rings of leaves in the lower left? I’m always looking for more options.

In red is water lettuce with the ruffled leaves, it does ok at 3 watts/gallon

Orange is water hyacinth , I have two strains a tall one and a "dwarf" shorter denser one

Blue is parrot feather

Orange and blue need full sun

This is what water lettuce (and I guess parrot feather)looks like after a month under indoor led lighting. The big one was harvested from the outdoor pond. I think floating aquarium plants really need 6+w/gal to thrive/eat nutrients

I threw an oak leaf in there in an attempt to leach trace minerals into the water as my existing leaf has mostly dissolved to nothing

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 12, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’d be putting them outside seasonally, so that’s like a hundred watts per square foot…my indoor greenhouse project I’m working on that I hope to overwinter some plants in is based on a similar level of lighting.

The parrot feather is what I was looking at there, thank you. And the water lettuce is interesting too, didn’t even notice that one.

I already have some water hyacinth going and it’s super duper happy for sure. As is the anacharis but as I understand it, it’s almost impossible for that stuff to not be happy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Parrot feather does great in direct sun. I started off with 7 x 8" stalks and this is what I have after ~6 weeks. It does this cool thing where it "closes up" at night and then opens up and looks like a redwood tree during the day

This side of the pond has more of the dwarf hyacinth. If you scroll through my posts in this thread the plants are pretty well documented

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks!

Now tell me you’re in Iowa so I can steal a few 🤔

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I have a bunch of water pond plants you can have

Note two platinum rice fish near bottom of photo

Plants do triple duty:

1 hide fish from predators
2 slurp up 99% of fish pee
3 shades the pond keeping water temps way way down

I thought what I have was providing sufficient shade but perhaps not

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 12, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rated PG-34 posted:

if the tub itself heats up in the sun then you’re going to have to shade more than just the interior/top with water plants. You wanna make sure the sun isn’t baking it from the side either

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm on the western border of Iowa it's just an 1800 mile drive :v:

I got all my plants off eBay, this is where I bought mine from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144080930033

Canton Aquatics is a pretty good supplier but they tend to over dry their plants

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 12, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

Honestly I'm probably gonna trash a good third of these plants at the end of August (after it cools down and the sun isn't right overhead), I can't see my fish right now except the rice fish and usually only two at a time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure if duckweed actually shades the pond and/or does an effective job since the leaf is in direct contact with the surface of the water. It definitely decreases the greenhouse effect. That's a pretty good coverage though

Edit: it's only 35 gallons filled to the top , that's probably more like 30 gallons due to the way volume of cones work

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 12, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The container pond is actually on a covered patio so only gets like direct sun for a few hours a day. Just moved it now so that it gets less direct sun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh are we posting duckweed grow ops now

Just kidding, I finally fixed it this year

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Oh are we posting duckweed grow ops now

Just kidding, I finally fixed it this year

Lol, this rules. Duckweed grow op. Hahaha.
Comets are keeping a handle on my duckweed, but salvinia is taking off.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks!

Now tell me you’re in Iowa so I can steal a few 🤔

Parrot Feather is on the invasive species ban list in Nebraska, looks like you are all clear in Iowa though.

https://www.pondplantsonline.com/pages/2016-list-of-regulated-or-illegal-aquatic-plants

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
man i want some ricefish but it's 111* daily here. no one survives being shipped in that.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Stoca Zola posted:

I tried for a long time to keep pandas and gave up, after experiencing the same thing. I don’t know if currently available livestock are genetically weak or if they are heat sensitive or what, I tried different providers and other fish in the same tank were fine. One batch I got had a really awful skin disease that didn’t respond to any kind of treatment. I will love panda cories forever but watching them die off is too sad, and I’ll never keep them again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yes, I won't do panda cories again for the same reason. I've tried for years to keep them but something always seems to happen. Not sure if they're more high stress than other cories but I can never get them to go long-term sadly.

:smith:

The remaining three seem to be doing ok for now. The one stopped vertically hovering, at least. Only thing I can think of is that the water got too hot. The two that died were smaller - maybe younger and less able to adapt. I'll wait a couple weeks at least to see if the survivors continue to survive and maybe consider getting some more pals, but I definitely don't want to keep buying them just to watch them die.

As I said, right now we have a few cherry barbs, the pandas, and three XL-size Amano shrimp. The tank seems pretty understocked at the moment. Anyone have any thoughts about potential additions for a 20g?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

man i want some ricefish but it's 111* daily here. no one survives being shipped in that.
Bit of trivia that I can't back up with a link right now: I've heard that ricefish ship and adapt far better as fry. JAXA launched theirs as fry for this reason.
This doesn't have anything to do with temperature, but something to keep in mind for the future. If you can get fry, you might have a better chance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My goldfish who were previously kind of skittish around us have suddenly become obsessed with nibbling on us. They will methodically nibble all over hands or feet put into the pond, it's pretty cute. It's been ridiculously hot recently so we'll often sit outside with our feet in the cold pond to thermoregulate.

Oh also the fish love these frozen yogurt things. We give them the sticks with a little left on them and they go berserk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah rice fish ship as eggs typically, in a test tube. Rice Fish are like the white lab rats of aquariums. Usually by day 3 you know if they're viable eggs and you throw those in a test tube with some water and a drop off mycelin blue and one or two might hatch before arriving

Couple posts back I was talking about how I accidentally let the water in the dish evaporate for half a day, but uh, three hatched yesterday anyways

Apparently killifish are mostly the same, at least most species. Some can even ship in a dry envelope and hatch in water 24 hours later (Google "instant fish fad")

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

My goldfish who were previously kind of skittish around us have suddenly become obsessed with nibbling on us. They will methodically nibble all over hands or feet put into the pond, it's pretty cute. It's been ridiculously hot recently so we'll often sit outside with our feet in the cold pond to thermoregulate.

Oh also the fish love these frozen yogurt things. We give them the sticks with a little left on them and they go berserk.

looks like you got a nice fish spa now

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Yeah rice fish ship as eggs typically, in a test tube. Rice Fish are like the white lab rats of aquariums. Usually by day 3 you know if they're viable eggs and you throw those in a test tube with some water and a drop off mycelin blue and one or two might hatch before arriving

Couple posts back I was talking about how I accidentally let the water in the dish evaporate for half a day, but uh, three hatched yesterday anyways

Apparently killifish are mostly the same, at least most species. Some can even ship in a dry envelope and hatch in water 24 hours later (Google "instant fish fad")

I believe most of those are annuals, so the downside of them is that they don't live very long.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Downside is that I have a single orange rice fish and it looks like the second batch that hatched got it's genes, so now I have two populations I'll need to separate. Even in the first hour you can tell the silver/platinum ones from the orange ones.

I think that this might actually be a male/female thing? Dark ones might be males, while light colored ones are females. When viewed from above there are pretty clearly silver, and uh "black with shiny blue bits" fish. I think the black with blue are the males, they're way more aggressive/territorial, not really nipping, but chasing off others who get too close. The "males" seem to be primarily surface dwellers, while the females spend most of their time 2-6" below the surface

According to one study M:F ratios start out at about 1.2:1.0 and that seems to be roughly correct for my tank

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Remaining three panda cories seem to be noodling about normally now. :unsmith:

I think it was the heat. Our electricity bill is going to be absurd from running the AC constantly but at least the fish are doing ok. I probably chose poorly having them in with barbs given the difference in preferred temperatures, but the barbs seem to be unfazed but it being a little cooler.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

These nerds are spending a lot more time out and about lately. Good stuff. This is the closest I’ve been allowed to hang with them to date.

https://i.imgur.com/v5OBouS.gifv

They seem to like it when I toss floating food in so it gets tangled up in the creeping jenny. Then they can dig around in it for treats. Fish enrichment!

The big one’s name is probably Goldie Spawn. Unsure about the other two but Goby Prawn Koinobi is on the list.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Achievement unlocked: sucked a fry through my siphon hose

Bonus: my siphon hose is standard airline tubing

he seems fine

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I've been travelling a lot for work lately so my parents have been looking after my tank. I've done doing a water change every weekend when I'm home and so far everything has been fine. Until this week. I was told my festivum didn't look well and was hanging at the surface. Confirmed, he looks awful. All of the black tetras are hiding, several look like they have fin rot and the angelfish also looks terrible.

Only thing different is i decided to try out an autofeeder and i see a fair amount of uneaten, fuzzy cichlid sticks in the tank. I'm running water tests now. Will report the results.

No new fish lately, but 2 weeks ago I added some potted and moss ball plants from PetCo.

55g with Aquaclear 70, and an airpump and stone.
Stock:
1 Festivum
1 Angelfish
9 black tetras

E: Nitrate 30ppm, Nitrite and Ammonia 0.0.

E2: Tried a 30 minute bath in Rid Ich Plus with an air stone and he did not survive. He barely resisted being netted to go into the bath so I don't think anything would have worked at this point. He was 5 years and 7 months old. He was a very tame fish, he used to hand feed cichlid sticks. The last few months he seemed less interested in food and was mostly hanging out near the filter. Maybe it was just old age?

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 15, 2023

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I don't know why but the picture keeps getting auto-rotated when I upload it. He was hanging vertically by the filter when I took the picture.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat that sucks. I hope nothing came in on the plants. How are the others doing?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hate to say it, but that really looks like a case of velvet to me. I don't know that there is a good outcome here. :(

https://www.thesprucepets.com/velvet-in-aquarium-fish-5248622

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 15, 2023

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat that sucks. I hope nothing came in on the plants. How are the others doing?

Tetras are no longer hiding but kind of huddling together. I am wondering about the plants too. I rinsed them in tap water but that was it. I should have realized the pots and moss balls are probably a lot better at transporting microbes and whatnot.

Enos Cabell posted:

Hate to say it, but that really looks like a case of velvet to me. I don't know that there is a good outcome here. :(

https://www.thesprucepets.com/velvet-in-aquarium-fish-5248622

Yeah, that was my initial thought as well but I wasn't sure because it didn't appear very golden in color. I think you're right though. I made two water changes and treated with CopperSafe. We'll see what happens.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Anything copper based should nuke a wide variety of external parasites so hopefully you've knocked that on the head. The munched tail in one of your earlier pics looks like some inter-fish drama had been going on, I don't think fin/tail rays break off without physical damage. So that could mean fighting, and stress levels rampant leading to low immunity leading to low level existing skin parasites that previously weren't a problem at all going NUTS - it always seems to happen when we're not around to catch things before they get out of hand too. So I think that's not a coincidence, something was probably going on but probably not super obvious to non-fishkeepers. And then one sick fish slowly infects everyone else. Any chance the festivum and angel were beefing?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The festivum used to give a half-assed chase of the angel every now and then at feeding time but otherwise no drama. Never made contact that I saw and the angel has never looked damaged.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

To my eye the tetra's tail is chomped in the third pic, I don't doubt the bigger fish had an understanding, but the smaller fish could have been the ones being chased then stressing and then the disease gets out of hand from there. My initial thought was that big fish doing big fish moves might startle the smaller guys. Can't do anything but guess really, and you're doing all the right things to try and get it under control so I hope the tank clears up soon.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's the difference between a black nerite snail and a black racer nerite snail? I want to replace the deceased Snailbert but the local shop only had the latter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aquarium stuff is tough to nail down, unless you have the scientific name, or it's a universally recognized species (comet goldfish) all bets are off. This is my guess

zebra nerite: smooth with black and yellow stripes
tiger nerrite: smooth with yellow base black dots
black/olive nerrite: smooth and black/dark
horned nerrite: smooth with spikes
red racer: black and red with grooves

so that leaves.... black racer? same as a black nerrite but with grooves

Not sure what this is, but it doesn't fit my visual of what a nerrite snail looks like

Moon Slayer posted:

His name is Dr. Snailbert.

this is an olive nerrite

not my zebra nerite, but looks similar:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So it's just a matter of slight appearance then, not an issue of if I buy this kind my tank will eventually be overflowing with snails like in the Star Trek episode with the tribbles?