Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Pakxos posted:

Hm - this is trpgs so everything is possible, but from your descriptions it doesn't sound like it provides as many mechanical/story widgets for a play-style other than Tetsuo the Iron Bounty Hunter.

I’m not sure how that analogy works? A Deviant’s Touchstone pursuits have little to do with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Gatto Grigio posted:

I’m not sure how that analogy works? A Deviant’s Touchstone pursuits have little to do with money.

Well, my understanding is touchstones are the elements of someone's life which motivate them and give them a sense of identity. So, just as Django's life goals were focused on gaining freedom for himself and Broomhilda, I would still call him a bounty hunter since the money/connections gained though catching bounties allowed him to pursue his touchstones.

But your examples gave me a better understanding that there is support for doing something different with the Devoted, so that is neat.

Pakxos fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 12, 2023

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Hello all, time for another recap from our New York game! As usual, our coterie consists of Augustus the Amish Banu Haqim and Thomas the Triad Tremere. It is a shorter one again since we started late and had to end early (also I’m writing this more than a week later and have forgotten some details)

During the coterie’s down time Augustus has been looking up the local Banu Haqim. He wants the Camarilla to become pacifistic and the first step on this path is to convince his clan and I have given the players a list of names with vague descriptions for them to pursue at their leisure. But before we get started on that, the coterie wants to check in with Carter Vanderweyden, the Malkavian Primogen, on a debt they have attempted to pay back.

Previously, the coterie had provided compromising information about the Primogen to the city’s foremost information broker and Vanderweyden had to go through a lot of trouble to make sure this information wouldn’t be used against him. This all cost him an arm and a leg, and the Primogen considers the coterie owing him an actual arm and leg. The last session they had recruited the Primogen’s childe who runs a hospital to secure the bodyparts from a morgue.

As they arrive at the Primogen’s apartment complex in Manhattan, they notice a post box responding to Vanderweyden’s apartment number has been recently smashed. They investigate it to find some dry droplets of blood. Thomas is good at identifying blood and has some good investigation skills over all, so it becomes clear that some post-mortem chunks of flesh have been smashed into the tiny postbox, breaking it and leaving quite a mess, though most of it has been cleaned up already. They meet Carter Vanderweyden at his apartment and he confirms as much. They also learned that Carter’s childe, as well as refusing to work overtime and not taking his time with his task, adjusts his efforts on the importance of the task. The players had promised him a minor boon, so he gave them minor effort.

Naturally the Primogen is quite forgiving of his childe’s antics and less so of the player’s coterie. We move to social combat. Vanderweyden doesn’t recall asking for several pounds of dead flesh and again demands compensation from the players. The players try to make vague promises of favors, but the Primogen isn’t actually listening to their arguments, instead just wants to keep the conversation going while using Dementation to break their minds. I tried to mess with my players by sending them threatening Discord DMs while Carter was talking, unfortunately they didn’t notice these until I mentioned them after the session. In any case, the coterie resisted the attempts at mental manipulation, but Carter Vanderweyden did inform them that he would use all the resources available to him as the Malkavian Primogen to get compensation, and the coterie left the scene with Willpower tracks filled with superficial damage and a new enemy.

After that scene it was time to look up the list of Banu Haqim contacts I had handed out. They first decided to seek out a florist in the East Village. Unfortunately, since it is early January in our game and it was after midnight, there weren’t any people around the supposed location, florists or otherwise. There wasn’t even any flower shops, or any information that such a business had ever existed in the area. I did a small trick, that doesn’t really translate well, but I used a Finnish word for florist which can also be translated as “weed dealer” and luckily my players were clever enough to figure out my trick and started asking around for dealers. They were guided to a small bar/theater nearby and told to ask for Aisha. They found her easily and got talking. Augustus was a bit too eager to start preaching his morals, but Aisha suggested they hang out a bit and get to know each other first. Aisha is the childe of Samira, the Banu Haqim Primogen who occasionally throws the coterie a bone. She is French of North African descent, embraced to work as a fixer for her sire. She is quite new to the world of darkness and so far she does not like what she’s seen. She tells a few anecdotes about traveling in Europe and how conservative and ruthless the old vampires there are. Eventually she suggests that they all go hunting together, so she can see what the coterie is made of. Luckily Augustus feeds only from animals and Thomas prefers blood bags, so they are on their way to making a good impression.

As they are leaving Aisha spots another kindred who has just wandered into the bar. This is Shejana, known for disappearing on binges for weeks or months at a time. She also apparently works with both Camarilla and Anarchs, and Aisha asks the coterie to help her learn more about Shejana. Unfortunately my players ignored all the hooks about Shejana I threw at them. The next time we play I will have to ask my players how I can improve to get them intrigued with the material I’m giving them.

Aisha introduced the coterie to Shejana. She made it quite clear that she was willing to tag along if they were able to provide new experiences for her. Augustus decided to combine the two tasks the coterie had now, hunting and new experiences. He hunted and fed on a raccoon, reasoning that they must be uncommon enough to be a curiosity. He also rolled a bestial success, and emerged from a random alley covered in raccoon blood and bits of fur, shouting “Ta-dah! Bet you’ve never seen anything like this before!” Aisha and Shejana were less than impressed.

Augustus then started preaching his pacifistic ideology, and Shejana she had wasted enough of her time with the coterie and left. Aisha was willing to listen and we started rolling social combat. The base difficulty was not high, the coterie had not shown any monstrous tendencies and Aisha is young and easily swayed. However, they hadn’t helped her learn anything about Shejana and instead were quite rude to her. Also Augustus was still hindered from the encounter with the Primogen before, and I didn’t allow Thomas to help or partake in this discussion, since does not believe in non-violence. Unfortunately Augustus couldn’t roll nor roleplay his arguments well and Aisha was not convinced to adapt his philosophy.

We decided to wrap up for the evening and here I revealed another trick I had pulled on the players. We do stains at the end of the session, instead of during the game. As we were going through everyone’s convictions, Thomas’ player noticed that his sole conviction, “Disobedience is dishonor” had disappeared from his character sheet. I explained to him that convictions are based on touchstones and I had deleted his touchstone from his character sheet three sessions ago without him noticing. This was due to the touchstone in question selling Thomas to the FBI and leaving the country. Since Thomas’ touchstone did not embody his conviction anymore and was not a part of his unlife, I reasoned that if the player does not care that the touchstone is gone, neither does the character. I had after all given him three sessions to do something about the situation. So now we have a character without any convictions, the rules don’t really cover what this means but we shall find out!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Pakxos posted:

Well, my understanding is touchstones are the elements of someone's life they motivate them and give them a sense of identity. So, just as Django's life goals were focused on gaining freedom for himself and Broomhilda, I would still call him a bounty hunter since the money/connections gained though catching bounties allowed him to pursue his touchstones.

But your examples gave me a better understanding that there is support for doing something different with the Devoted, so that is neat.

Ah yeah, that makes sense.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://form.typeform.com/to/rEK8BMTj

They made another quiz, this one for W5 tribe and auspice.

I apparently got Galestalker Ragabash. :confused:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I got Ghost Council Theurge. Not the auspice I expected but :shrug:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

joylessdivision posted:

Ghost Council Theurge crew rise up, read every book

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

I wonder how much it weighs the picture of the alley when deciding who gets bone gnawer?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fuzz posted:

Glass Walker Ahroun which, okay, fair.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I picked alley and also got Ghost Council theurge. Hoka hey I guess

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I got a Children of Gaia Theurge. Which, yeah, I guess. I would have preferred Bone Gnawers, but that's actually closer to accurate.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Glass Walker Theurge, which... okay, not necessarily wrong, but I also don't feel like I picked much that would point toward Glass Walker?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fuzz posted:

Glass Walker Philodox? Sure.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
gently caress yeah, Red Talon Ahroun.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Ghost Council Theurge crew for me. Really thought I'd be Glass Walker.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Glass walker ragabash... I have never played werewolf but this was pretty cool.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Hello! It is I, your friendly neighborhood Black Fury Ahroun. I'd honestly never considered either of that combo, might roll one up when the edition comes out.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Ghost Council Theurge crew rise up, read every book

Nessus posted:

I picked alley and also got Ghost Council theurge. Hoka hey I guess

Dienes posted:

Ghost Council Theurge crew for me. Really thought I'd be Glass Walker.

Ghost Council Theurges up in this bitch:dance:

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Hart Warden Philodox - which from the description sounds like a bouncer who can sing a saga while beating the crap out of you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Hart Warden Theurge. Sure, okay, I guess?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Gale Stalker Theurge.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

This seems like a lot of theurges (bone gnawer theurge, to add to the count).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

Gale Stalker Theurge.

This is what I got, also. I don't know very much about Werewolf (any version).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Free Cog posted:

Hello! It is I, your friendly neighborhood Black Fury Ahroun. I'd honestly never considered either of that combo, might roll one up when the edition comes out.

Sup BF buddy?

Black Fury Galliard
Black Furies serve Gaia by opposing injustice and perceived injustice, but they have a reputation for escalating their pursuit of justice into vengeance. Their Patron Spirit is Gorgon.

The role of the galliard is to promote the legends of the werewolves, to sing the songs of bygone comrades and tonight’s champions of the Garou, thus inspiring the legends to come.

edit: i think it's because i'm an sjw shitposter?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hart Warden Philodox. Sure, OK.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Explodingdice posted:

It's because we're nerds, that's why the spirits talk to us :colbert:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I got moon moon

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Sup BF buddy?

Black Fury Galliard
Black Furies serve Gaia by opposing injustice and perceived injustice, but they have a reputation for escalating their pursuit of justice into vengeance. Their Patron Spirit is Gorgon.

The role of the galliard is to promote the legends of the werewolves, to sing the songs of bygone comrades and tonight’s champions of the Garou, thus inspiring the legends to come.

edit: i think it's because i'm an sjw shitposter?

High five, Black Fury Galliard friend.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yaaaawn, the questions are like, you confront a situation, do you fight it, study it, make fun of it, tell your friends about it, or judge it? If you want a cool personality test, do the Paths of Fate from the Ordo Dracul covenant book.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Ferrinus posted:

Yaaaawn, the questions are like, you confront a situation, do you fight it, study it, make fun of it, tell your friends about it, or judge it? If you want a cool personality test, do the Paths of Fate from the Ordo Dracul covenant book.

Sure, I gave it a shot.

It's not very good!

It's supposed to count up points to determine what scores the most out of the Virtues and the Vices. Setting aside that the focus on the Seven Cardinals and Seven Deadlies are a thematic weakness of 1e nWoD, I tied between four virtues and three vices, so the end result of being asked all these moral dilemmas and forced to pick a choice in each is that the personality test shrugs and asks me "I dunno, which one do you think you are."

The judgments for the respective outcomes are well written and appropriate for the proud and ruthless tone of the Ordo, though.

I get to decide which one I think I am so I'm the Hermit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm imagining the Ultima Quest of the Avatar intro thing, but for vampires.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Brujah love them some sweetbread. Don't try to gently caress with theirs, man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The framing story is that it’s a dream, so I troed to go with what happens in my dreams instead of what I would do.

Gave me a surprising result!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Black Fury Philodox

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Explodingdice posted:

I mean, most people don't have 'violence' as their primary problem-solving method. Therefore, not a lot of Ahrouns.

But their logic for 'theurge' seems to be 'I think about the problem for a moment.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, most people don't have 'violence' as their primary problem-solving method. Therefore, not a lot of Ahrouns.

But their logic for 'theurge' seems to be 'I think about the problem for a moment.'

I picked a lot of those answers and was almost sure I'd get Philodox.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Dawgstar posted:

I picked a lot of those answers and was almost sure I'd get Philodox.

There were some ones that seemed to conspicuously call out balance. I figured those would be swing things philodox.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've mentioned a couple of times that I'm running a Victorian Mage game. I feel like getting some feedback on a centerpiece chantry - one of five planned for the chronicles (the PCs covert deniable 'the order of hermes will disavow your existence' townhouse chantry, a 'neutral' Hermetic chantry in Pall Mall, one at Greenwich which is becoming rapidly more important because Time is getting hinky, one buried in the shadow of Vesuvius, and this one) major plot beats, themes, and storylines. This one - the second they'll meet - is #21 Montepellier Row, Hammersmith; or; the Axis Mundi on the Thames.

The central idea of this one is that its a multi-tradition affair (specifically: Hermetics, Ahl-i-Batin, Celestial Choristers, and a sect of Scottish Presbyterian Euthanatoi), occupying an old hall (specifically,I've just ripped off and transplanted Padley Hall) that's been on site for some six centuries, combining Tudor manor house vibes (including repurposed monastery stones) with later architecture. As a chantry, its existed for about as long as the structure itself - its as old as the Traditions themselves, and its weathered the storms of change by maintaining a relatively low profile. I emphasize that because, while it isn't a war chantry, it also isn't a particularly minor or discreet one. As the name suggests, the Axis Mundi on the Thames is something of a local headquarters for English Traditionalists - but also a chance to introduce my players to a variant cosmology. The above-ground aspects of the chantry are fairly typical - there's a nice library, on-site accomodation for the consors, etc. Its below ground that it gets interesting. In addition to the usual servants quarters, via a secret passage in the basement you gain access to the neophytes dormitory, a variety of storage and experiment rooms, and crucially... The Well and the Worlds.

This is the actual centrepiece of the Chantry - kind of a myst-adjacent selection of psuedo-horizon-realms. The usual approach to those is the magic portal - cross the door and you're in a new reality, etc. Here, I want to do something different, something that suggests an overlapping of realities. The Axis Mundi on the Thames has portals to five distinct worlds. The first, and highest, is its central anchor. Walk a ritual spiral (spirals are a recurring plot aspect - both good and evil), purifying yourself at ten stations along the way, then pass through an antechamber where every surface has been mirrored. On the other side, a short, wet, vaulted room dominated by a central well, with windows looking out into the starry void of space. Dying and newborn galaxies swirl and dance across impossible distances, and strange wraithly forms sweep by, trying to gain entrance. The well is full of brackish water that turns to ice when disturbed, and rimmed with candles, sacred herbs, and inscribed bindings. Sometimes, things still come crawling through despite these protections. This is the actual Axis Mundi - an anchor point for the other realms, which are:

* A verdant forest of light and life. Don't eat or drink anything the locals offer you, and under no circumstances listen to their poetry. Yes, this is a portal into the outskirts of a shadowy version of Arcadia, borrowing liberally from CtL. One of the mcguffins the PCs are going to need has been destroyed but its mythic echo still exists in the dreaming: they're going to have to brave the faefolk.
* A vast plain of black ice interrupted by perfect geometric uprisings of white ice and the shadows of long dead men imprinted as voids in the ice. Welcome to the heat death of the universe... and to the far outskirts of Stygia. We have a plotline involving both the Giovanni and the Necropolis of London, so a grueling North Waters-inspired journey across a vast sea of cruel and unloving ice that strips men's souls down to their true form in a series of mortal-equivalent Harrowings is the agenda here. Stygia, gripped by the memory of 1816, is in an Ice Phase generally, changing the local dynamics and aesthetics.
* The bottom of some alien ocean, teeming with life. Just a plain ol' weird rear end alien sea. Actually pretty friendly except for the lack of air, local shark-equivalents, and crushing pressure. This is the one that doesn't have a specific story beat associated with it - its there as a wild card if I need to invent a new one on the fly, and to add a touch of beauty and wonder.
* A long road stretching to the shimmering horizon of a vast desert; at its end, a city of brass gleams under a pair of suns that never set. The road is lined with cyclopean pillars a hundred feet tall, stretching far into the distance both toward and away from the city. Under no circumstances should you approach Irem of the Pillars, where the last of the Devil Kings dwells and has dwelt since the Web of Faith drove it from the world. Naturally, one potential pathway planned for the PCs to resolve a plot involving the Nephandi involves approaching Irem of the Pillars to bargain with the Devil King there against what may or may not be a lesser evil in the Vesuvius plotline.

Each of these worlds is approached via a spiralling passageway that opens into another of the observation pods, stabilized by a sanctified book and a lesser sacrifice than the Well. Each pod contains a barred, locked gate - these aren't meant to be portals into these realms, but 'hidden' (with varying degrees of success) means of observation. Each pod is its own micro-horizon realm embedded into the warp and weft of the actual alien realms, rather than sitting in the Horizon - man-made shallowings anchored in place through the intense spiritual gravity of the Well. Only under dire circumstances is anyone permitted to unlock, unbar, and unchain the gates... so naturally the PCs are going to want to do it as soon as they can, so its written into the loose story outline.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ghost Council Philodox, I'll take that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Loomer, my feedback is that all of those realms are incredibly awesome. A+ no notes

Who had the write up on making Deviant more of an ongoing than a one shot? One of my players interested in running a game of it but is concerned about everyone blowing up.