Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kenny Logins posted:

unless you're a celeb/influencer secretly taking ozempic but hawking "wellness" and weight loss stuff under your own brand and claiming to dogfood it... doesn't matter why you take ozempic. it's the companies making and selling it that are loving things up for people who urgently need it, not the consumers imo

yeah, i don't mean to say like "the fatties are driving up the costs for diabetics" or something, i didn't mean that. the drug company is clearly ratcheting up the price despite increased demand that led to record profits. it's wrong on multiple levels but not the consumer's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mystes posted:

diabetics should probably get first dibs on the supply since using it for weight loss can presumably wait but I'm not sure that's something that's really possible to control
i agree in principle but in reality we never really have the (perfect) info to pass judgment on people who refuse supply for the benefit of others, so why bother. it doesn't fix the problem, it's just misplaced generational/demographic struggle to distract from the bigger problem of profiteering/price-fixing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah, that's the reasonable take-away. as far as supply issues... i don't know, hard to balance ethically without knowing someone's life and difficult to control for anyway. everything supply-chain wise since covid is such a psyop for corporate (and even basic business) greed

if you're concerned about supply chain stuff, just take wegovy instead of ozempic. they're both semaglutide. one is prescribed for diabetes, the other for weight loss. if someone is taking ozempic for weight loss, they're being an rear end in a top hat because they could instead be taking the one whose marketing and production channels aren't exclusive to diabetics

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

i agree in principle but in reality we never really have the (perfect) info to pass judgment on people who refuse supply for the benefit of others, so why bother. it doesn't fix the problem, it's just misplaced generational/demographic struggle to distract from the bigger problem of profiteering/price-fixing
I meant more like "in an ideal world there would be a system to ensure that (first) diabetics and (second) other people currently taking it for weight loss already can continue to get supply before new people taking it for weight loss get new prescriptions filled* if there's a shortage" not that the onus should be on individuals

*: I guess it's an injection so I don't know if that's the right wording but whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

again, ozempic is for diabetes. wegovy is for weight loss. they are the same compound, but with different distribution channels. someone might be taking ozempic for weight loss, but that is explicitly skipping the entire point of having two distribution channels, and is indeed being a dick

the ideal world you're talking about is literally this one. diabetics get ozempic. weight loss people get wegovy. new wegovy prescriptions are not filled until existing ones are filled. ozempic is not constrained for new patients like this because _it is for diabetes, not weight loss_.

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh ok I guess there isn't really a problem as long as people aren't taking ozempic off label then

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah word. and 100% agreed that it sucks people are doing that. not surprising i guess, but i'm always confused when people are told "you can't have this for <good reasons>" and their response is "ah well i will game the system" instead of, like, just accepting that we dont always get what we want.

yes i know i am hopelessly naive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Achmed Jones posted:

"you can't have this for <good reasons>" and their response is "ah well i will game the system" instead of, like, just accepting that we dont always get what we want.

lol you're talking about rich celebrities. "sorry, you can't have this" doesn't exist in their world

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

lol you're talking about rich celebrities. "sorry, you can't have this" doesn't exist in their world

yeah but HOPELESSLY NAIVE

keanu reeves would never do such a thing.

also realtalk, are there enough rich celebrities out there to matter? id expect it's actually just SWEs and product manager and financial analyst types or w/e. but i mean that's 100% speculation

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

keanu reeves' publicity people would never allow him to get caught doing such a thing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah but HOPELESSLY NAIVE

keanu reeves would never do such a thing.

also realtalk, are there enough rich celebrities out there to matter? id expect it's actually just SWEs and product manager and financial analyst types or w/e. but i mean that's 100% speculation

yeah i mean those are probably rich people too, but they usually don't have the same sense of default entitlement that huge celebrities do. that does seem to increase with net worth though, so i absolutely don't doubt there's some c-suite shitheads like that

and i'm not sure there's enough of them for it to actually be significant but any time i've seen an article about ozempic being used off-label (as opposed to wegovy) it almost always notes that x celebrity is using it, which must mean it's fine!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you shut your mouth

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

and i'm not sure there's enough of them for it to actually be significant but any time i've seen an article about ozempic being used off-label (as opposed to wegovy) it almost always notes that x celebrity is using it, which must mean it's fine!

ah fair enough!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's too hot but also too breezy with the fan on. Why are yutes doing this to me?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

if you're concerned about supply chain stuff, just take wegovy instead of ozempic. they're both semaglutide. one is prescribed for diabetes, the other for weight loss. if someone is taking ozempic for weight loss, they're being an rear end in a top hat because they could instead be taking the one whose marketing and production channels aren't exclusive to diabetics

Achmed Jones posted:

again, ozempic is for diabetes. wegovy is for weight loss. they are the same compound, but with different distribution channels. someone might be taking ozempic for weight loss, but that is explicitly skipping the entire point of having two distribution channels, and is indeed being a dick

the ideal world you're talking about is literally this one. diabetics get ozempic. weight loss people get wegovy. new wegovy prescriptions are not filled until existing ones are filled. ozempic is not constrained for new patients like this because _it is for diabetes, not weight loss_.
:hmmyes: ty for your comments aj i have learned something today

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

I meant more like "in an ideal world there would be a system to ensure that (first) diabetics and (second) other people currently taking it for weight loss already can continue to get supply before new people taking it for weight loss get new prescriptions filled* if there's a shortage" not that the onus should be on individuals

*: I guess it's an injection so I don't know if that's the right wording but whatever
makes sense. idk the diff between ozempic and wegovy in terms of delivery method etc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think there's a fair amount of "assume good intent and don't look to close" in the supply chain, like how one medical ended up with a ton of covid vaccines when they were limited to 65+ and immunocompromised folks when they knew they had almost zero customers in those groups

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qirex posted:

I think there's a fair amount of "assume good intent and don't look to close" in the supply chain, like how one medical ended up with a ton of covid vaccines when they were limited to 65+ and immunocompromised folks when they knew they had almost zero customers in those groups
i also wonder if they can make more money on ozempic vs wegovy for regulatory reasons (easy to imagine with diabetes vs obesity in terms of health priority) so they drag their gee dee feet on wegovy prod. then throw up their hands helplessly when there's a run on ozempic

it's all so disgusting

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

it's all so disgusting

yeah v_v

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my wifes intro dose to ozempic was $600 after insurance, hit her individual deductible after two doses

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think the original price was double that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

i also wonder if they can make more money on ozempic vs wegovy for regulatory reasons (easy to imagine with diabetes vs obesity in terms of health priority) so they drag their gee dee feet on wegovy prod. then throw up their hands helplessly when there's a run on ozempic

it's all so disgusting
I haven't looked into it recently but my impression was that there was a shift at some point around a decade ago where people finally started considering weight loss drugs as something that was a critical area of research for health rather than just being something people took to look skinnier for vanity, and if that hadn't happened I don't think wegovy would have gotten approved for weight loss at all

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, my wegovy is i want to say $900 or a thousand a month. I wouldn't pay that much for what it does, but I'm on That Good Insurance and very lucky. I expect that next year they'll stop paying for it, tbh, just because things keep getting worse over time

For some weird reason, the pharmacy didn't put in my order this month until I'd already used my last pen, so on Saturday I won't have a dose if they can't get it filled soon. Last month, they let me put it in a week early and it was filled with a day or two to spare. Fingers crossed, 'cause I bet there will be some _gastrointestinal upset_ if I have to go back on max dose from nothing.

Ms Jones is very disappointed that she can't get her starter dose filled. Hopefully production will catch up soon. There was a big shortage last year, too - I had to wait several months until supplies normalized, and then I got my blood work done and got my regimen started no problem. But then the current shortage started, and _ugh_.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Fool posted:

my wifes intro dose to ozempic was $600 after insurance, hit her individual deductible after two doses

like i said my dad used to be able to get it for :10bux: with a manufacturer's coupon (i think). he was complaining about the price "septupling" so i assume that means he pays $70 now. again that's for diabetes though and he's been on it for probably about a decade

but anyway i imagine insurances will soon decline to pay unless the doctor makes a "medically necessary" determination. i can't imagine them continuing to pay out for already kinda-thin people unless they're on some mondo plan

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wonder how much insurance companies are actually paying for it. is there a generic "they pay 20%"? i guess it's probably all negotiated and such individually or at least per-drug-class

ugh for-profit medicine is gross

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Achmed Jones posted:

i wonder how much insurance companies are actually paying for it. is there a generic "they pay 20%"? i guess it's probably all negotiated and such individually or at least per-drug-class

ugh for-profit medicine is gross

:capitalism:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ultravoices posted:

bdid was right. semaglutide is loving magic.

whose bdid?

i’m on dulaglutide which is worse but also fully funded for me. been two weeks now. it’s annihilated my appetite

Beeftweeter posted:

anyway one of the good things about that class of drug is that there really isn't any withdrawal if you decide to stop

I think this is quite variable, maybe more so with recreational use but some have said it’s worse than heroin withdrawls and others say they get none

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why would anyone take pregabalin recreationally :psyduck:

e: as far as withdrawals, when ive missed taking my pill even one day ive gotten somewhat bad cold sweats & headaches. not world ending but im on a pretty low dose so

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 13, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pregabalin? is that when that boston dude drove his porsche to the rite aid?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no wait that was got dat wmd not preg

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

why would anyone take pregabalin recreationally :psyduck:

look it up, people love it. it’s likely to end up as a controlled drug in some places

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
postgabalin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goblin week posted:

postgabalin

it's a strong muscle relaxant

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

pregabalin? is that when that boston dude drove his porsche to the rite aid?
i think it’s a pachinko-themed slay the spire rip off

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echinopsis posted:

look it up, people love it. it’s likely to end up as a controlled drug in some places

wow those doses are way higher than therapeutic (like double or more) & i guess almost anything can get you high if you take too much

it is "controlled" in denmark, as i mentioned its only by prescription after in person consultations, even for renewals

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

whose bdid?

i’m on dulaglutide which is worse but also fully funded for me. been two weeks now. it’s annihilated my appetite

I think this is quite variable, maybe more so with recreational use but some have said it’s worse than heroin withdrawls and others say they get none

yeah, it might be. i never took a really high dose anyway, i was on 150 mg and took it as directed

i have taken a pretty high dose of gabapentin regularly though (at one point i was on 2.4 g/day). maybe it's different per person but i didn't notice anything when stopping abruptly

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my knee has suddenly started making a cracking sound going up stairs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

well-read undead posted:

my knee has suddenly started making a cracking sound going up stairs

Tell it to come back down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oops shouldn't've quadrupled my Candesartan dose on my own I guess. I thought I had high BP but it's 106/63 lmao. Explains why I slept all day at work maybe?

(It WAS quite high again, but I adjusted my diet AND my medicine dose. Only the former was necessary I guess.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

c sciatica s: it's been a hell of a week but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. off anything stronger than advil/tylenol and doing my physio exercises x2. still can't walk more than 8-10 minutes without resting but it's a start. also doesn't hurt anymore just to lie in bed and try to extract sleep