Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

lol at the reporter bringing up ATACMS, which are like three wunderwaffen ago for the NAFO crowd

my mind pronounces ATACMS as attack’ums as though they are delicious snack

edit: holy poo poo, beaten so badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/PM_ViktorOrban/status/1678788530200354816

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Lithuanian Exhibition and Congress Centre
Vilnius, Lithuania

5:01 P.M. EEST

PRESIDENT BIDEN: You’ve done an enormous job. You have a lot more to do, I know. And — and I just think that, you know, we’re going to make sure that you get what you need.

And I look forward to the day when we’re having the meeting celebrating your official — official membership in NATO.

So, thank you for what you’re doing.

And the bad news for you is: We’re not going anywhere. (Laughter.) You’re stuck with us.

Well, thank you.

PRESIDENT ZELENSKYY: Thank you very much, Mr. President. And I will start.

You — you said about 500 days. It’s really — really a difficult job for our people — soldiers and civilians, mothers, fathers, and children — really, to fight for — for their life — for their life and for these values.

And — and thank you very much that all these days you are with us. I mean, you and Americans, all of America — Americans and Congress. I mean, thank you, Mr. President, that you — like we say, shoulder-to-shoulder with us from those days of full-scale war. We appreciate for this very much.

And really — really, you know, we understand you’re leading support, because when you give such messages and when you gave sometimes some weapon — I’m — I’m sorry that I’m — but I want to say to journalists, like I said during our meeting, our council, that it’s very simple, you know, to criticize, for example, clusters ammunition, which you made decision — difficult political decision. But it’s — but you have to know that Russia used such weapon from the first days, not only full-scale war — from those days of occupation of Crimea, from 2014 and ‘15, in all our territories. In Donbas, they used it. And now they continuing doing. And that you gave us — this decision will help us to save us.

And that’s why my appreciation for the — and I didn’t hear from all the, you know, parts of the world when — when Russia began to use it — I didn’t hear that some of, you know, countries criticized Russia. You know? But I think that it was very useful to put them.

So, thank you so much for this help. We really counted on it — not only on this. I mean this — totally. And you gave us huge support.

I want to thank to all Americans. We understand that it’s more than four- — 43 billions for today. It’s big support. And I understand that it’s all your money, but — but you have to know that you spend this money for — for — not — not just for fighting; you spend this money for our lives. And the — I think that we save the — the lives for — for Europe and for all the world.

So, thank you very much for this also summit. At — at the — at the end of the summit, we — we had — I think this council had great success and security guarantees, as you said, that we began to speak it — about it in Kyiv.

So, now we see that we had — you had great idea, that G7 — and now I know that last (inaudible) that also there are countries which joined to G7 decisions, and I think it will help very much because it — it’s real effect that — it’s very (inaudible) phase.

So, thank you.

PRESIDENT BIDEN: Well, thank you. And thank you for acknowledging the American people. I think it’s correct that we are a large country, but I think we’ve given more than every other nation combined in terms of assistance and cost.

And the American people are supportive — they’re supportive — because they know it’s — it’s about you, but it’s about more than you. It’s about innocent people around the world and the absolute brutality with which Putin is acting and the Russians are moving on. It’s just — it’s just some — like something out of the 14th century the way they’re acting.

And so — but — but I can’t emphasize enough.

And, by the way, I know you thanked him, but I think we talked about it before. I went to Tokyo years — more — a couple years ago. The idea that Kishida is increasing their defense budget, having to lower their domestic budget, to aid directly and get directly involved in what’s happening in Ukraine is remarkable.

The sad, sad news is you’re in this situation. The incredible news is it’s bringing the world together. It’s bringing the world together in a way that — it’s a hell of a price to pay, but it’s bringing the world together. And people are realizing that they just can’t stand by and let this kind of aggression occur.

Any rate, I thank you, and we got a lot to talk about. So, somebody is going to have to say, “The press has to leave.” (Laughter.)

Q President Zelenskyy, are you satisfied with what you got from NATO? You were so frustrated yesterday. Is this enough? Are you satisfied, sir?

PRESIDENT ZELENSKYY: I think, at the end of summit, we — we have great unity from our leaders and security guarantees, that the success for this summit. I think so, but it’s my opinion. Thank you.

Q Thank you, sir.

Q President Zelenskyy, how soon after the war would you like to be in NATO? How soon after the war would you like to join NATO?

PRESIDENT BIDEN: An hour and 20 minutes. You guys ask really insightful questions.

5:10 P.M. EEST

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh western media would have me believe that NATO is more united than ever

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/0rf/status/1679172670028488704

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Резидент posted:

The track with the Polish-Lithuanian brigade goes down in history after the NATO summit, and how many hopes the President's Office had.
Ukraine is not interested in deploying foreign troops on its territory.

This was stated at a briefing by Vladimir Zelensky, answering a question about the initiative expressed in Poland to deploy Polish peacekeeping units in Ukraine.

"No one raises the issue of the deployment of Polish troops here. Neither the NATO countries nor we are interested in this - as long as we are not in NATO, for armed forces of one or another foreign nation to be stationed here. There are enough of our armed forces, the only question is a specific modern NATO-style weapon," the president said.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/18706
(from t.me/rezident_ua/18715, via tgsa)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He 100% knows Poland's end-goal lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

fanfic insert posted:

werent the germans in ww1 just opening cans of gas when the weather was right, specifically because the use of artillery to gas was banned in a treaty but which didnt specify you couldnt just open cans and let the wind work? I mean initially, afterwards all bets were off ofcourse

these things have never mattered and it's always been the underdog asking for treaties

No, gas as a weapon didn't exist before the Germans used it at first Ypres. They were aiming at the Canadians but hit the Indians instead.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

AnimeIsTrash posted:

finns anytime they have to look at a brown person:

I think I understand where all of this Russophobia is coming from.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

sullat posted:

No, gas as a weapon didn't exist before the Germans used it at first Ypres. They were aiming at the Canadians but hit the Indians instead.

I have actually read that there were treaties or arms control style agreements at the time which banned the use of shells which emitted asphyxiating gasses when they exploded. The idea of using chemicals as a weapon was a contemplated thing that the powers of the time were concerned about, the Germans did alot of internal rules lawyering as to how their method of dispersing the gas didn't violate any pledges they had made. Of course later in the war they did just use shells that dispersed gas so that went away after a while.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Reminder: do not post in gbs thread lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China will inspire war with Taiwan before the year is out. Ukraine will be but a memory

speng31b
May 8, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

reminds me that the admins never got back to me about the GBS guy who repeatedly posted about reporting Paul soccer and all the tankies in this thread to the CIA

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

... why not? I find that it's good to get the balanced perspective on what is going on in the war, I regularly read through the GBS thread and even post in it sometimes.. their IK is a nice enough guy :)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia is stealing Ukrainian children

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

they are so loving stupid lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

seems to me like Ukraine is feeding their whole country's future into a meat grinder so the mic can do more weapons sales, so it was a pretty valid point

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the IMF and organs of capital don’t have any plans for Ukraine beyond safe, measured Keynesian investments combined with strong labor laws and resilient infrastructure. they will constitute for Ukraine a sovereign wealth fund which will create a luxurious social democracy free of Orcism. the idea that Western Europe and the United States are salivating at the prospect of looting the entire country and forcing it into decades of crushing austerity, thus creating a disposable source of IT professionals and victims for human trafficking enterprises is completely outrageous

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

speng31b posted:

reminds me that the admins never got back to me about the GBS guy who repeatedly posted about reporting Paul soccer and all the tankies in this thread to the CIA

thats silly mlmp08 already knows about paul soccer et al

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Western Europe would never suck the blood of the women, children, and war survivors of Ukraine to facilitate domestic labor discipline and a reentrenchment of the Washington consensus thus ensuring bloated Saxon middle managers will always be able to threaten Polish workers with the possibility of being replaced by Ukrainian ones

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

speng31b posted:

we're all very surprised

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Good news -- Germany will soon be solving Ukraine's ammunition problem!
https://esut.de/2023/07/meldungen/43322/vertrag-fuer-dina155mm-artilleriemunition-unterschrieben/

quote:

Contract signed for DiNa155mm artillery ammunition

The Federal Office for Equipment, Information Technology and Use of the Bundeswehr (BAAINBw) and the Diehl Defense / Nammo AS consortium (ARGE DiNa155mm) signed a framework agreement for the procurement of 155mm artillery ammunition on July 10, as Diehl Defense announced.

On July 5, the Budget Committee of the German Bundestag approved the conclusion of the framework agreement and the first retrieval of ammunition. According to information available to ESuT, the framework contract has a volume of up to 350,000 "complete" shells and will run until 2029. 4,700 shells worth 27.3 million euros were called off for Ukraine as a firm order, which are to be delivered by 2025. With the framework agreement, the Bundeswehr secures production capacities in the sector of artillery ammunition, which is currently in great demand.

According to the description by Diehl Defence, the DiNa155mm projectile is a modern, Norwegian-developed and qualified high-explosive projectile of the new generation, which has been introduced in several countries and has already proven itself in use. In terms of range and precision, the projectile meets the artillery capability requirements of conventional barrel artillery in terms of effectiveness and, with its modularity, enables reliable and efficient area and point target engagement.

According to Diehl, the DiNa155mm is designed to accommodate detonators with a long screw-in depth (deep intrusion) – including steering modules with ignition functions such as the 2DGMArt. It thus fulfills another core requirement of artillery and also underlines its future viability.

Guidance modules make it possible to increase the precision of the projectiles by controlling them on the final approach, but at the expense of range.

For the 44.4 kg heavy IM HE-ER projectile (without fuse), fired from an L/52 barrel, Nammo specifies a maximum muzzle velocity of 935 m/s and an increased range (ER) of up to 41 km. As insensitive ammunition (IM), the high-explosive projectile (HE) is particularly safe to handle and insensitive to bullets.

With the DiNa155mm, the Bundeswehr will receive a modern and future-proof projectile from European production, which meets all of Germany's capability requirements in terms of range, modularity and logistical security of supply, Diehl assesses the framework agreement. It also offers the option of adapting modern fuses or course correction modules.

Gerhard Heiming

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Holy moly...if some of you idiots are determined to post in GBS and get banned, at least post something funny.:ughh:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Majorian posted:

Holy moly...if some of you idiots are determined to post in GBS and get banned, at least post something funny.:ughh:

yeah like "war bad"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hosed up that people need to be reminded of this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

reminder: don't slam a car door on your hand

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

the British and American upper classes going “can you imagine a country just invading someone? there must be consequences!” is making me insane.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also make sure everything is tucked away before zipping up your jeans.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

the British and American upper classes going “can you imagine a country just invading someone? there must be consequences!” is making me insane.

The natural consequences of rewritten history. Or simply not learning it.

Remember people that ignorant have the same or more influence than anyone here.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol over the 'kidnapped children' bullshit as well

i remember bbc news doing a segment on this where they explained why this was scary and totally a genocide and they were using this one kid as the case study and it explained that she was taken to Russia. Then right at the end they mentioned how here Ukrainian grandma was also in Russia and they met up and she is now with her. Weird loving kidnapping.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Best Friends posted:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/avgmanspeaks/status/1679014927644901377?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The British have negative food security so if you really want to play a Uno reverse card on them you know what to do. I imagine it would be weeks of national survival at most if shipments stopped.

I think Germany isn't so vulnerable aside from the whole energy thing.

Anyway it's a good way to keep the British in line.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's gonna be cool when everyone finally decides there's been enough death and the war ends and the kids return to those parents that are still alive. Libs want to end the world for a weird fantasy that Russia has saltmines full of crying children.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LOL

---

Also, never got around to thank PunishedTurtle88 for the entertainment he provided, thank you!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

got some ideas?

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1679270276846977026?s=20

Jesus christ lmao

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Jul 13, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

I've been through a social media audit and had my Level III renewed since the war started, so I'm working under the theory that Big Army is fine with me, it's the Deputy PM's Office I need to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
mmmm yeah poo poo like that is why it's so frustrating that Russia is so bad at this

west has gone mask off nazi and dropping the ball here is gonna be very bad