Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
They gave DRX Jax again and he is 3/1 at 7m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

so, uh, the faker health situation has not gotten better; he told interviewers after the NS game that he couldn't lift his right arm due to pain, and keria has been exclusively queuing mid, since i guess they legit don't have a better emergency sub given how much of a flop T1's current CL team is

we'll find out what the situation is tonight but between this and gumayusi apparently fainting a couple times from overwork, i think T1's properly cooked for this split unless keria secretly had the heart of a midlaner in him all along

that would be such a tragic ending for this roster

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

T1 legitimately looks like NS without faker, it's insane. how much individual shotcalling was that dude doing every second of every match?

CODChimera posted:

that would be such a tragic ending for this roster

caedrel already said it a few weeks back, but i would bet this roster drops at least oner for next season, and maybe zeus depending on how he does in playoffs

it's a strange thing to say about a roster that's otherwise done really drat well historically, but second best isn't going to cut it for an org with the prestige of T1

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy hell getting 2'0d by DRX is shameful with or without Faker. Definitely shows that these T1 players are far from clutch and explains lots of their mess ups in final games.

Anyway from what I've seen of these injuries, if they usually bench a player they basically never go away and it can derail your practice regime. They definitely need to find a proper 2nd midlaner for Faker, which probably won't be a weird thing since he has always shared time whether it was Easyhoon, Pirean, Clozer, Scout, Sky. But at this point the clock is ticking on Faker's career. He legit has nothing to play for anyway. I really did wish he had gone to LPL for one split to see Faker in that chaos.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Holy hell getting 2'0d by DRX is shameful with or without Faker. Definitely shows that these T1 players are far from clutch and explains lots of their mess ups in final games.

Anyway from what I've seen of these injuries, if they usually bench a player they basically never go away and it can derail your practice regime. They definitely need to find a proper 2nd midlaner for Faker, which probably won't be a weird thing since he has always shared time whether it was Easyhoon, Pirean, Clozer, Scout, Sky. But at this point the clock is ticking on Faker's career. He legit has nothing to play for anyway. I really did wish he had gone to LPL for one split to see Faker in that chaos.

i don't want to overreact too much, since the dread and uncertainty of your star player going away and a rookie you've maybe played against a handful of times in scrims being brought up can really throw a team off, but i think it's achingly clear that faker is driving the bus. the roster might be individually talented, but they have not learned how to coordinate themselves in a way that lets them compensate when faker's being pressured or is straight up out of the roster, as evidenced by the fact that they got their clocks cleaned by what was until very recently the worst team in the LCK by a country mile. in hindsight, this is probably why international teams have been focusing the guy so heavily: they know he's the keystone, and if they can make him crumple then the rest of the arch falls down around him

i do think they need to hire on a good midlaner ASAP solely to act as faker's replacement in the event of further injury, and they also need to get someone on that roster other than faker to learn basic macro and build up the confidence to shotcall in his absence. it's honestly a good case study of why teams started moving away from dedicated shotcalling/IGL strategies in favor of a more collaborative approach, but i imagine they're likely too used to that system right now to try and completely change midway through the second split

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

i don't want to overreact too much, since the dread and uncertainty of your star player going away and a rookie you've maybe played against a handful of times in scrims being brought up can really throw a team off, but i think it's achingly clear that faker is driving the bus. the roster might be individually talented, but they have not learned how to coordinate themselves in a way that lets them compensate when faker's being pressured or is straight up out of the roster, as evidenced by the fact that they got their clocks cleaned by what was until very recently the worst team in the LCK by a country mile. in hindsight, this is probably why international teams have been focusing the guy so heavily: they know he's the keystone, and if they can make him crumple then the rest of the arch falls down around him

i do think they need to hire on a good midlaner ASAP solely to act as faker's replacement in the event of further injury, and they also need to get someone on that roster other than faker to learn basic macro and build up the confidence to shotcall in his absence. it's honestly a good case study of why teams started moving away from dedicated shotcalling/IGL strategies in favor of a more collaborative approach, but i imagine they're likely too used to that system right now to try and completely change midway through the second split

Faker is definitely the brains but the other players are suppose to be mechanical gods and DRX aren't some 200iq team either. For me I just think the Korean pro lifestyle is unsustainable if you have a injury like this. Look at Pawn, he was one of the best mids at EDG and his first year back in LCK in KT but dude had severe back issues. Piccabo, Crown, MLXG, Freeze all had wrist injuries coincide with their drop off. I am sure there are many players whose dropoff in performance was due to wrist/elbow issues. The problem is that there is a stigma around players with wrist issues so it seems like the players keep it very private. Teams might not offer you the same contracts and you're just a liability.

I mean Starcraft/FPS are way more micro intensive than league but due to how long the games in league are and how much competition there is with little rest periods. I am surprised more people don't have hosed up wrists. I know during the LCS bubble it was popular to get a gym trainer etc but these guys should have pro athlete level physios just for their wrists and it should be checked atleast every split. I bet Western pros will do better in this regard due to way less practice and better fitness. I am just shocked at how unhealthy some of the Eastern players look.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 5, 2023

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
hell yeah GG

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

isaboo posted:

hell yeah GG

clean rear end game from them, too, aside from the single baron oopsie

we're getting a surprisingly tight top 5, should be an interesting playoffs season

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ulio posted:

Faker is definitely the brains but the other players are suppose to be mechanical gods and DRX aren't some 200iq team either. For me I just think the Korean pro lifestyle is unsustainable if you have a injury like this. Look at Pawn, he was one of the best mids at EDG and his first year back in LCK in KT but dude had severe back issues. Piccabo, Crown, MLXG, Freeze all had wrist injuries coincide with their drop off. I am sure there are many players whose dropoff in performance was due to wrist/elbow issues. The problem is that there is a stigma around players with wrist issues so it seems like the players keep it very private. Teams might not offer you the same contracts and you're just a liability.

I mean Starcraft/FPS are way more micro intensive than league but due to how long the games in league are and how much competition there is with little rest periods. I am surprised more people don't have hosed up wrists. I know during the LCS bubble it was popular to get a gym trainer etc but these guys should have pro athlete level physios just for their wrists and it should be checked atleast every split. I bet Western pros will do better in this regard due to way less practice and better fitness. I am just shocked at how unhealthy some of the Eastern players look.

lck is competitive enough that if you start lacking somewhere you cant just outplay the league, its just not how it works. if you lose your shotcaller youre screwed and this isnt t1 specific. last year with all the covid issues had basically every team going thru this but t1 which is why lck started allowing remote players. this was t1 vs geng in feb last year when peanut, chovy and lehends were all off:

same split t1 went 18-0 btw lol

starcraft pros regularly have hosed up wrists, bw is full of injuries and ppl regularly get surgery for it. this is the back of flash's arm after having surgery for his own issues

sc2 as well you had stuff like byun visibly having wrist strain issues in the middle of huge games. korean teams def have physios and trainers, this stuff has been normal for years now lol oners ripped from working w one of their PTs. they just play an insane amount, which has been normal since stuff like bw. western teams just dont play as much, both professionally and stuff like soloq.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

T1 legitimately looks like NS without faker, it's insane. how much individual shotcalling was that dude doing every second of every match?

caedrel already said it a few weeks back, but i would bet this roster drops at least oner for next season, and maybe zeus depending on how he does in playoffs

it's a strange thing to say about a roster that's otherwise done really drat well historically, but second best isn't going to cut it for an org with the prestige of T1
It feels like this roster should've had more success than it's had but so many of the teams are stacked by this point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the roster does insanely well until they decide to start trolling drafts for no reason, which is basically every time they get near a title

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think you can blame all their big final losses to draft. I wouldn't even call them chokers apart from Zeus. I definitely think there has been a huge difference between Zeus's performance in finals vs regular games. I think in non final games he is the best toplaner ahead of Bin, 369, Kiin but in finals he just makes the stupidest mistakes.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Luv 2 lose Baron to Nautilus ult

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Killed By Death posted:

Luv 2 lose Baron to Nautilus ult

was in a hotel room during that game and i had to keep myself from hee-hawing, i couldn't loving believe it

really nice to see APA have such a solid first game; he's one of the OG NA grinders and has deserved a spot for a while. obviously it's just versus IMT, but it's a really good confidence booster nonetheless, and i'm hoping that'll carry over into the 100T game tomorrow

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I know everyone hates C9 but Zven and to a lesser extent the rest of their players absolutely smurf on the rest of the league for content. The LC9 desk was great, and so was Zven on the MarkZ show lol

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Canyon on Neeko disguises as a krug, heads into bot lane and BeryL just walks right on up to him as if nothing is really amiss then he dies.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ulio posted:

I don't think you can blame all their big final losses to draft. I wouldn't even call them chokers apart from Zeus. I definitely think there has been a huge difference between Zeus's performance in finals vs regular games. I think in non final games he is the best toplaner ahead of Bin, 369, Kiin but in finals he just makes the stupidest mistakes.

yeah sry that does sound like im blaming it all on that, you are right. theyve lost every time fair and square, its just their weird draft choices in high stakes games have been a running thing that gets annoying to me more than like, rookie players struggling with pressure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

holy poo poo, a jensen pentakill on loving jayce of all champions

DIG looks like a completely different team, rich really does have the juice after all

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Busio surviving at literally 1 HP

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kirtar posted:

Busio surviving at literally 1 HP

his one and only moment of luck during that game, yeesh

really impressed with TL's growth this split, and i'm happy APA's managing to hold it together on the big stage so well. also lmao at no one on TL even knowing what ziggs does

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

what in the goddamn hell

https://twitter.com/t1lol/status/1677497736143200256

this is three hours before the T1 vs. GENG match, mind you. either he'd had enough of the poo poo you have to put up with working for T1 from insane fans or there's something really brewing behind the scenes, though i'm skewing towards the former before anything else

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
lol @ T1 vs GenG

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Hell yeah Nongshim.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

curiousCat posted:

lol @ T1 vs GenG

what a rough series to watch; i think even GEN felt like they were just kicking around a straw-stuffed sack with "T1" written on the front in marker. genuinely cannot remember the last time a single player going off a roster had such a devastating impact on the entire team

i'm starting to be worried that faker's time off might not be the two weeks worth of physio they've rather optimistically said. if it was just two weeks of rest, then you'd expect bengi to put on a stiff upper lip and try to muddle his way through it until faker returns, but him quitting so suddenly makes me think that the injury is worse than what's been let on. i think it's probable faker's not going to be able to come back in time to save the team in time for playoffs, so bengi wanted to get out rather than trying to right a clearly sinking ship, because i cannot imagine bengi ditching faker otherwise

Vapor Moon posted:

Hell yeah Nongshim.

a soothing balm after the previous series, it's hard not to root for that team and they're starting to show some real promise

i think they can absolutely take a series off of T1 given both their current forms

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Well if Faker leaves and T1 falls apart, they've still both had one hell of a run.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Well if Faker leaves and T1 falls apart, they've still both had one hell of a run.

again, pure speculation, but my guess would be that the doctors told T1, "either this dude takes the split off or he might never play again," management told bengi to figure out a viable team sans faker that could make it to worlds, and bengi decided that this isn't what he signed up for and ditched. guess we'll see in two weeks, but i'm not hopeful, especially since tom cannot fill bengi's shoes no matter how much he tries and it's way too late in the season to find a coach worth a drat that hasn't been signed already

it would be a sad end to what was otherwise a really great run; i think the insane expectations of T1 as a legacy org kinda muddle the fact that this roster was making finals left and right. it's got real griffin vibes where it's a bunch of incredible talent that just couldn't quite make it and which might end up dissolving in the face of tragedy

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The only other midlaner SKT really ever had was easyhoon so this whole franchise was really built around him

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
KDF v HLE was a fun match.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Tuned into my first live LCK broadcast in quite a while and was very surprised to see Laure on there, how long has she been guest(?)-hosting there?

Also, KDF HLE was indeed very fun

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Tuned into my first live LCK broadcast in quite a while and was very surprised to see Laure on there, how long has she been guest(?)-hosting there?

Also, KDF HLE was indeed very fun

start of this split, though it's apparently only for this single one before she's back to the LEC

i believe it was a real calling-in-a-favor situation because the LCK crew has been absolutely swamped between the regular cast and the CL cast, meaning that most of them were doing full 6-7 day workweeks, and jeesun's absence meant she couldn't do a guest host spot either. hopefully they'll be able to secure someone for next season, as i can't imagine it's easy to find knowledgeable english-speaking casters willing to live in korea who aren't already doing something like SC or valorant

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Really doesn't make sense why Keria forgot how to land skillshots without Faker. This T1 team are such mental frauds, they probably mental boomed but this dip in performance is unacceptable even before the coach loss. DRX couldn't even 2-0 LSB or NS which were their two other wins but they 2-0 T1 the MOST stacked team in the world ever just because their mid is not there ? And it wasn't even close lol.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
The ol' getting owed by a champ so you pick it early in the next game then still get owned. Burdol with Rumble did not do well.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

has there been any updates on Faker or T1 in general?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FLY is subbing out vicla for spirax, which i believe makes this the season with the most NA mids since maybe, like, season 1 or 2 or something. kinda wild how much the imports have been beefing it this season, especially in situations where they should be set up for success like TL

CODChimera posted:

not a thing, which i assume is not a good sign. T1 kinda built a cult of personality around him as the core of the team, and announcing that he's off for the rest of the season is going to massively tank fan support when the rest of the team looks like a bunch of driftwood and there's no hope of him coming back in to right the ship this season

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol nice level 1 invade EG

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

isaboo posted:

lol nice level 1 invade EG

i think armao should've tried playing rell, say, 1-2 times before deciding to pick her on stage

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FLY needs to bring back winsome already jesus christ, this is embarrassing

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CODChimera posted:

Faker and some team members (Keria and I think Zeus) and Poby and I think one of the coaches went to Jeju Island last week for vacation. Guma and Oner didn't go because I think Guma had prior plans and Oner just wanted to chill and meet his friends.

Faker was also guest hosting an online shopping thing to promote the Samsung Odyssey monitor or whatever this Monday.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i missed the postgame graph but, uh, closer, are you okay, man

dude wasn't even on TSM and he still managed to turn from one of the most aggressive and proactive junglers in the league to looking like he's showing up out of contractual obligation and nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It fits, closer's literally the position where you're only supposed to play if your team already has a lead.