Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

If I were to get a cloud cert specifically as a tier one tech support trying to prep for getting out of that,which one would be best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If I were to get a cloud cert specifically as a tier one tech support trying to prep for getting out of that,which one would be best?

I went with AWS because that's what I'm seeing the most on job postings. Though the last large company I worked at was moving towards Azure because they were all in on Microsoft's business offerings for everything else.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

wash bucket posted:

I went with AWS because that's what I'm seeing the most on job postings. Though the last large company I worked at was moving towards Azure because they were all in on Microsoft's business offerings for everything else.

I’m comfortable with AWS because that’s why my place works with and I read through their logs all the time. But which one?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Certified Solutions Architect Associate is a good starting point, but it’s fairly basic. Mile wide, inch deep. The certified cloud practitioner cert is a total waste of time - it’s designed for sales and C levels.

It may get you a phone screen but if you want to impress people, you need to have projects in your GitHub, the various professional level certs, or work experience.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah im leaning towards azure myself tbh, its going to be needed for AD and poo poo in the future so might as well jump in

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Can tell you right now as someone who got Architect Associate everyone at basically any level posting jobs it's almost always a minimum 3 years working AWS experience with a bunch of secondary skills. 'Deep understanding of' x and then list 3-10 different aspects of AWS and most of the postings seem to be requiring coding expertise in multiple languages on top of that.

I have had 0 luck even getting an interview - one recruiter I talked to said yeah, you basically need work experience, try to get an internship. Good luck with that one too, few and far between from what I've seen. Signed up for AWS internship program directly with Amazon which can get you the kind of experience you need but I assume that wait list is long.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

I have had 0 luck even getting an interview - one recruiter I talked to said yeah, you basically need work experience, try to get an internship. Good luck with that one too, few and far between from what I've seen. Signed up for AWS internship program directly with Amazon which can get you the kind of experience you need but I assume that wait list is long.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Yeah, I’d recommend starting with M365 administration to get your foot in the door and then get some AWS/Azure experience. Not saying it’s impossible, but it’s going to be difficult finding a place willing to take you on with just certifications.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is incredibly stupid but maybe someone has an idea. My partner is trying to get a PMP certification, but her employer only reimburses for tuition, not for certifications. Her boss said that what people do is they sign up for a school that has certifications as part of the coursework and then drop the program when they get the cert they want. It's dumb, but I guess it works. I know WGU has the IT Management degree that includes the CAPM, but are there any that include the PMP?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I looked at like 30 different schools and no one seems to offer the PMP cert as part of their programs. Everyone offers a prep class that counts as education towards it, but there's always a disclaimer that the student is responsible for the PMP cert costs.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

This may be common knowledge but make sure your partner checks the requirements for the reimbursement. My company just rolled out their program and they require 5 years of continuing employment otherwise you have to pay it all back which is straight up offensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cyks posted:

This may be common knowledge but make sure your partner checks the requirements for the reimbursement. My company just rolled out their program and they require 5 years of continuing employment otherwise you have to pay it all back which is straight up offensive.

18 months split into 6 month "vesting" periods of 33/66/100%.

They also cover enough that she thinks might just go whole-hog and get an MBA from WGU. Does anyone have any opinions on / experience with the program?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I did the MBA-ITM program at WGU. It was okay; not as strong as their undergraduate programs but it was fully covered by my 60% GI-Bill rating after including my housing allowance compared to paying 15k out of pocket for the state college. Can’t really compare it to a typical MBA program but from what I’ve heard they really never are that challenging. Learned some stuff but I wish it had more of a focus on the accounting side of management.

If the goal is to just get a masters, they can definitely knock it out in six months. If they want to get more out of it they can actually read the books for the class, but personally I don’t need to pay a tuition just to read a book. There’s recorded cohorts to help with the assignments but they don’t really teach like a lecture does.
For the most part the workload was writing papers. It’s been a while but I think I wrote around 200 pages?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I have 6 years of help desk deskside experience and 2 years as a "sys admin" I was more building out an office 365 and Google Workspace admin account along with some work on microsoft intune. My jobs previously either I didn't have access to the servers/networking or we contracted them out. I am mercenary as all hell, I want to make the most money practical in my new job. What certs can I get that would round out my skill set and get me out of help desk. I was thinking either CCNA/N+ or Some sort of Server thing. I'm thinking though with cloud becoming as ubiquitous as it is server knowledge is gonna be less and less important. I have some Azure AD stuff should I just go whole hog in Azure? Any advice?

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 4, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pick a cloud vendor, get a basic but not intro level cert there. For AWS for example the AWS Solutions Architect Associate cert. Couple that with some examples of work you've done, a link to your github account with some basic poo poo and away you go.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I have 2 months to renew my CCNA. What's the best way to do that? I had signed up for the Cisco DevNet Associate course, but I was also dumb enough to do that while recovering from a TBI and finishing my degree. Still have the TBI but the degree is finished, but now the DevNet Associate course is no longer available. I'd like to spend less than $800 on a Continuing Education course if possible, but I'll do what I gotta do.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Was looking at the thing same early this week and saw not only did they get rid of the cheapo devnet course but they also got rid of most free courses.

Decided I’m just going to let my CCNP expire. I don’t support Cisco devices at my current gig and my manager isn’t going to approve paying for CE courses.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Oyster posted:

I have 2 months to renew my CCNA. What's the best way to do that? I had signed up for the Cisco DevNet Associate course, but I was also dumb enough to do that while recovering from a TBI and finishing my degree. Still have the TBI but the degree is finished, but now the DevNet Associate course is no longer available. I'd like to spend less than $800 on a Continuing Education course if possible, but I'll do what I gotta do.

Sign up for the CE program. Sign up for Cisco U, get 16 credits for passing the free DEVNAE course. Submit a claim for the 16 CEUs. Keep an eye on the impending Rev Up release:
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D56e0000D87GSvCQM/rev-up-to-recert-new-round-coming-soon

For associate level (CCNA) you need 30 credits to recertify. As long as this upcoming rev up challenge is at least 14, you'll have it.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Contingency posted:

Sign up for the CE program. Sign up for Cisco U, get 16 credits for passing the free DEVNAE course. Submit a claim for the 16 CEUs. Keep an eye on the impending Rev Up release:
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D56e0000D87GSvCQM/rev-up-to-recert-new-round-coming-soon

For associate level (CCNA) you need 30 credits to recertify. As long as this upcoming rev up challenge is at least 14, you'll have it.

Awesome, thank you. I have experience scripting with Ansible and SolarWinds, and just recently turned a colleague's 5-hours-per-implementation of traffic exceptions into a script, so hopefully this won't be all entirely new to me. Unfortunately most of my experience these days are with Palo and Forti devices, less Cisco.

I like the announcement yesterday that this Rev Up challenge is bigger than most so the start will be delayed. At least it will likely be 14 credits.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 9, 2023

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I noticed AWS put out a “what certs are useful for which role” infographic. Might be useful for some of the folks here as the question pops up every now and then.

Just ignore the Cloud Practicioner one unless your employer pays for it and you want a warmup cert or you’re in sales.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
So let's say hypothetically, there was a guy who worked in manufacturing for like 15+ years. Maybe he was a CNC operator a few months ago and he decided he hated it, and he hated being underpaid, and he knew he was pretty smart and hated not ever having a job where that was needed or appreciated. So he decided he was meant to be a computer toucher. He quit his job and started studying all day every day to prove his worth and get certified. He got ready for the A+ but decided it was basic and he didn't want to spend the 600 bucks to take it. He thought maybe if he kept going he could skip help desk grunt work and go right to the fun stuff. He set his sites on the CCNA, drilled down on everything on the objective list and passed it on his first try yesterday. But now his savings are running out and he needs to get a job fast. Does he have a chance of finding something relevant to his new cert without experience? Did he over qualify himself for help desk if that's all that's realistic? Is he hosed? I might have been so obsessed with studying and figuring out the technology that I didn't study and figure out the career path at all. Any advice?

I've also been studying Javascript and Python and am really enjoying that. My plan right now is to try and build a virtual lab with VMware, GNS3, and Windows Server to show what I can do. I'm going to start looking into Docker today to see if it might be better for what I want to do.

Ashheap Empire fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 11, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Have you started applying for jobs yet?

Based on what I'm hearing and seeing it seems like computer toucher jobs are getting swamped with applications right now and even qualified and experienced people are struggling to get interviews. If money's getting tight you probably need to switch to plan B for now unless you know someone at a company who can refer you.

Sorry, it's very admirable to have aspirations and to put in the effort to make them happen. But the bosses don't have a row for that anywhere in the spreadsheets they spend all day looking at.

Edit: Just to cite some actual sources, a lot of nerds got laid-off early this year and have been out there looking for work: A comprehensive list of 2023 tech layoffs

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 11, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Or maybe just make your job search a 50/50 mix between the jobs you want and the jobs you know you can do today. See which one gets traction first. My whole point there is the tech job market is rough right now and if you need a paycheck in the next three months or so you probably shouldn't count on that alone.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ashheap Empire posted:

So let's say hypothetically, there was a guy who worked in manufacturing for like 15+ years. Maybe he was a CNC operator a few months ago and he decided he hated it, and he hated being underpaid, and he knew he was pretty smart and hated not ever having a job where that was needed or appreciated. So he decided he was meant to be a computer toucher. He quit his job and started studying all day every day to prove his worth and get certified. He got ready for the A+ but decided it was basic and he didn't want to spend the 600 bucks to take it. He thought maybe if he kept going he could skip help desk grunt work and go right to the fun stuff. He set his sites on the CCNA, drilled down on everything on the objective list and passed it on his first try yesterday. But now his savings are running out and he needs to get a job fast. Does he have a chance of finding something relevant to his new cert without experience? Did he over qualify himself for help desk if that's all that's realistic? Is he hosed? I might have been so obsessed with studying and figuring out the technology that I didn't study and figure out the career path at all. Any advice?

I've also been studying Javascript and Python and am really enjoying that. My plan right now is to try and build a virtual lab with VMware, GNS3, and Windows Server to show what I can do. I'm going to start looking into Docker today to see if it might be better for what I want to do.

lmfao are you me? 10+ years as CNC operator and other manufacturing. Tired of yelling, danger, toxic masculinity in the shop and want out. Been studying for a CCNA out of the blue and doing well so far. Haven't quit my job, and probably won't until I pass and can get some applications out, but god drat is it a scary proposition.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would straddling a line between the two and doing industrial ethernet get you any work? Like someone has to support the network that all those CNC machines and PLCs are connected to.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ashheap Empire posted:

So let's say hypothetically, there was a guy who worked in manufacturing for like 15+ years.

Im sorry I work in IT. I don’t answer hypothetical questions

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Would straddling a line between the two and doing industrial ethernet get you any work? Like someone has to support the network that all those CNC machines and PLCs are connected to.

Most companies have outsourced this work to 3rd party IT support firms. The ones that haven't usually just have a single IT site contact covering multiple facilities in a given region. If you're the site contact that means your phone will ring at 4pm on a Friday telling you a forklift knocked over 20 year old Windows XP workstation that controls a mission critical piece of equipment, production in the department is at a stand-still, and you need to make the 4 hour drive to the plant right now because they operate 24/7 and the 2nd shift supervisor is already throwing chairs through windows demanding to know why it won't be fixed sooner.

For modern manufacturing "efficiency" means operating with zero room for error with the bare minimum of staff on a schedule that assumes everything will go according to plan all the time forever. When reality sets in the yelling starts. If you're tired of working in manufacturing then being a computer toucher in manufacturing won't actually get you out of that mess.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 12, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
For what it’s worth the CCNA has not helped me land anything with a couple years help desk experience, but also I’m not applying to positions that are paying under $50k. If you know someone who can get your foot in the door you’re far better off

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hotel Kpro posted:

For what it’s worth the CCNA has not helped me land anything with a couple years help desk experience, but also I’m not applying to positions that are paying under $50k. If you know someone who can get your foot in the door you’re far better off

:rip: gently caress.

I have like 3 editions of books for that, but I was worried along with not passing, that even if I passed it wouldn't mean anything and all that work would be for nothing.

Although FWIW CCNA is the line in the sand at my job to go from desktop support to desktop support + network support.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I realize that the CCNA isn't going to be a magical entry card into the wonderful land of IT work, but it's just kinda where my dart landed when I threw it. If I take a lower tier/lower salary job, so be it. I just decided I'm done with manufacturing and don't want to seriously injure myself before 40. $55K isn't worth back pain, breathing in alzheimers aluminum dust, extreme temperatures, and violent adult temper tantrums.

Starting with the CCNA is starting somewhere, because I've got otherwise nothing on the resume, and if you got a better spot to start, I'm all ears

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Security+ is a decent start, it’s a basic requirement for a lot of government IT jobs. I wouldn’t say to stop studying for the CCNA, it’s still going to look good on a resume.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Also: the only cert which will let you skip help desk or tech support is a BS in Computer Science. And sometimes even then. Honestly help desk is something you have to do because the theory of computers is far different than the reality of them and no cert really prepares you for the most important part of IT. The many varieties of user error and how they lie to try to cover it up

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You probably can't skip helpdesk, with or without a degree. I do think it's valuable, it's good to see how people actually interact with computers and also get some experience with basic professional interactions.

Any job that requires a CCNA should pay well north of $50k. It's a perfectly fine place to start if you can pass it -- it's hard without experience, or at least it was -- but it probably still won't let you skip helpdesk.

Networking can be a difficult specialty to break into. For some reason it is an extremely popular thing for helpdesk people to decide they want to do, and there are always more interested people than there are available positions. I was once one of those helpdesk people, and now that I work in networking I'm kind of amazed at its cachet; you spend a lot of time troubleshooting things that you already know aren't actually supposed to be your problem, because no one else understands networking and consequently blame the network for everything, and because of that you end up knowing how most of the rest of your organization's technology stuff works and doing a lot of other people's jobs for them. I like my job a lot, but that aspect can get frustrating for sure.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Passed my MD-101, like a couple of years after just barely passing the MD-100.

Looks like Microsoft still hasn’t decidedly been interested in both retiring the 100/101 exams, or changing the MDAA over to endpoint administration associate yet.

I think I’m going to knock out Sec+ next, the position that I’m possibly getting promoted to, might not require CCNA, which I let lapse, without significant use in 3-4 years.

Anyone see any actual use out of Six Sigma in IT? White belt’s free, can’t hurt to get it all the same.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Besides anyone I’ve with six sigma “belts” being fundamentally worthless, no

Cultural appropriation AND worthless corporate speak all at once! One stop shopping!

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
I'm just going to apply everywhere for anything I think I can handle. If I have to pay my dues at help desk so be it. Would it be worth it dropping the $600 to get A+ or should the CCNA be enough to show I know enough for entry-level work?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

guppy posted:

You probably can't skip helpdesk, with or without a degree. I do think it's valuable, it's good to see how people actually interact with computers and also get some experience with basic professional interactions.

Any job that requires a CCNA should pay well north of $50k. It's a perfectly fine place to start if you can pass it -- it's hard without experience, or at least it was -- but it probably still won't let you skip helpdesk.

Networking can be a difficult specialty to break into. For some reason it is an extremely popular thing for helpdesk people to decide they want to do, and there are always more interested people than there are available positions. I was once one of those helpdesk people, and now that I work in networking I'm kind of amazed at its cachet; you spend a lot of time troubleshooting things that you already know aren't actually supposed to be your problem, because no one else understands networking and consequently blame the network for everything, and because of that you end up knowing how most of the rest of your organization's technology stuff works and doing a lot of other people's jobs for them. I like my job a lot, but that aspect can get frustrating for sure.

Yeah, we definitely are a black hole of “idk, must be a network problem”, and it’s very common to need to figure out the exact solution for the appropriate team to implement.

I know help desk sounds awful, but if you’ve never worked in IT, it will provide you with a ton of real knowledge and experience that you just don’t pick up doing certs or school. I doubt you can skip it completely. Doing a few years in support isn’t the end of the world, it can be a pain but it will probably be valuable experience, you’ll learn so much so fast.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

guppy posted:

When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do everything seemed to kind of point in that direction. Everything seems to say A+, then CCNA and/or Sec+. Network+ is like CCNA but not as good. Then everything seems to be saying go into cybersecurity or cloud. All that sounds good to me. I'm also really enjoying learning Javascript on codewars. I started with JS because it seemed like it might be the most useful for a future in cloud or security but now I'm wondering if I should switch to Python for automation and/or data science.

I do think this is the path I want to be on. I like the idea of having a job where I actually get to use my brain. Where you have to constantly be learning. Something you might even call a career instead of a job.

And it wouldn't hurt to not be loving broke all the time. To have to pray for the car to start in the morning because it's 25 years old and I can't afford to get it fixed if something goes wrong. No joke, usually it means I have to teach myself just enough about auto-mechanics to keep it running a little longer. Being poor sucks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Tip: Desktop support is fine, but do not, repeat, do not expect your employer to promote you into a higher role internally from desktop support. This pretty much does not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
If you’ve been learning programming with JS, no reason change languages right now. As a beginner it’s just about learning concepts and how to think. You can pick up python or whatever language later on and it won’t be that difficult. You’ll just have to learn the syntax and get familiar with the standard libraries, the concepts remain the same.