Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

NeonPunk posted:

Duluth is still going to get hosed as their main source of water is going to become too salty to drink as everyone keeps on putting ice on the road and it all flows into the lake

just show them all Voyage of the Mimi and they'll figure it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bonelessdongs posted:

Montpelier had it coming
I wish a merry drown to every rich rear end in a top hat who paid 100k over asking price for a house here because they wanted to escape climate change
Burlington's next Inshallah

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1678921258992300033

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

indistinguishable from reality

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/NWSChicago/status/1679280342946164737

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Too bad Elon killed Twitter or I bet there would be some neat videos

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/LynnBecker/status/1679272606879416321
https://twitter.com/BryanPassifiume/status/1679276857517023232

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I lived there for 10 years. Right after I moved away there was a flood proving it's as susceptible to that as any other place, maybe even more so since it's all built on a fairly steep hill that can wash out and cause landslides.

https://www.weather.gov/dlh/june2012_duluth_flood

Some pictures in that link, my favorite is probably the escaped seal just hanging out on the street.

I moved away from there right before this happened, too, and I always think about that when someone mentions climate proof Duluth. I also think of the insane hailstorms and near-tornado stuff on the lake.

I also think about how the lake doesn’t ice up like it used to.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/dmcalister1/status/1679282207720914948/photo/1

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

SirPablo posted:

poo poo the meteorologist is right

what do meteors have to do with this

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

What a pain in the rear end.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Raine posted:

what do meteors have to do with this

everything

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

What a pain in the rear end.

monitor

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Has the Barack Obama Presidential Center site been destroyed yet? :thunk:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ehhh, I'm Wilcoing here

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Chicago a city of basements?

Yup.

Well, not the skyscrapers.

But yeah pretty much everything has a basement including my house. Man that was nuts, the danger cone was juuuuust south of us and you could see the difference in the clouds. Bunch of my friends in the SW burbs don't have power right now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

ehhh, I'm Wilcoing here

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All the talk about Vermont earlier, talk about how they believe they'll be untouched by climate change,all that

Where would you, weather thread poster, go to escape the negative effects of climate change?? Where do you think the best place is??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still say we'll be okay in Philadelphia

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

1. If Philadelphia's rivers rise, well just build levees
2. We barely have earthquakes
3. No hurricanes ever come to Philly
4. There's mostly no earthquakes
5. You largely shouldn't worry about flooding

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Where would you, weather thread poster, go to escape the negative effects of climate change?? Where do you think the best place is??
26 miles south-east of Carlsbad, New Mexico

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ekuNNN posted:

26 miles south-east of Carlsbad, New Mexico

Looks like a place of honor

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
With respect to Vermont, we would probably not have quite these problems if we knew 'levee' as anything but 'something Don McLean made up to rhyme'. Our idea of flood prevention is 'idk bro throw some gravel in the creekbed'.

Still a place where people can maybe react to climate, rather a place where climate doesn't happen.

e: like seriously, I was talking with the lady in the next flat when the water was coming up, and was like "hell this keeps up I'll have to drive down to the hardware store and buy up the sandbags they have for truck ballast"
"what no for that amount of money we could just get a backhoe and bail out that new pond we have"
"backhoe from where, bailing into where?"
"..."

My idea was probably just as loving stupid, honestly, given that there's no road to the hardware store that isn't 3 feet below the entirely flat riverbank. My point is that we've all been on cinematic mode so long that you're just watching us forget which button is 〇 and which is × when we bump up to easy mode.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Jul 13, 2023

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
No place is going to be free from the potential of natural disasters. Despite the flooding ten years ago, Duluth would be a good place.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://twitter.com/oldhollowtree/status/1678866548411252741?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

https://twitter.com/vermontpublic/status/1679109717786804225?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

i have a lot of friends in Johnson and help run a program for kids there — this sucks. The top pic is the town grocery store.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SARS-Cordyceps
May 15, 2022

by vyelkin

Petey posted:

https://twitter.com/oldhollowtree/status/1678866548411252741?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

https://twitter.com/vermontpublic/status/1679109717786804225?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

i have a lot of friends in Johnson and help run a program for kids there — this sucks. The top pic is the town grocery store.

The article in the second tweet also shows the same strip mall in the first tweet, except not underwater. Is that building the whole town?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

SARS-Cordyceps posted:

The article in the second tweet also shows the same strip mall in the first tweet, except not underwater. Is that building the whole town?

essentially. Johnson has a full time pop of 1,332. there’s a university up on a hill, and a down town of a quarter mile, of which the largest section is that grocery store.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

1. If Philadelphia's rivers rise, well just build levees
2. We barely have earthquakes
3. No hurricanes ever come to Philly
4. There's mostly no earthquakes
5. You largely shouldn't worry about flooding

when Philadelphia got historic flooding a few years ago Philadelphians just started swimming in the brand-new vine street expressway canal and health officials had to come out and say please for the love of god you have no idea how unwise that is and Philadelphians heard that and took it under advisement and continued swimming

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Toaster Beef posted:

when Philadelphia got historic flooding a few years ago Philadelphians just started swimming in the brand-new vine street expressway canal and health officials had to come out and say please for the love of god you have no idea how unwise that is and Philadelphians heard that and took it under advisement and continued swimming

yet another reason why Philadelphia is the greatest city in the United States of America

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
drat, it really feels like el nino came out swinging

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Toaster Beef posted:

This is exactly why Philly is going to be A OK

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
yeah i don't want to be misconstrued, i love philly and think that anecdote fuckin rules

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

"Philadelphian" is the regional florida man of the north east corridor.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Will we still have cheese steaks late into the anthropocene?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

triple sulk posted:

yet another reason why Philadelphia is the greatest city in the United States of America

That's right

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

well whiz is not natural so as long as the factory runs you are good and the steak is so well done im sure rat could be subbed in without too much flavor change. the hard part as always will be listening to the type of people that wait in line for pat and genos

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

well whiz is not natural so as long as the factory runs you are good and the steak is so well done im sure rat could be subbed in without too much flavor change. the hard part as always will be listening to the type of people that wait in line for pat and genos

Whiz... You gotta be kidding me

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Would like to eat a ratsteak with rat milk cheese... This is doable though rat milk is very expensive, big open market for rat dairy

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Honky Mao posted:

Would like to eat a ratsteak with rat milk cheese

/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

american cheese ONLY cause this is AMERICA