Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Killingyouguy! posted:

My manager very clearly has undiagnosed and untreated ADHD and so simply doesn't understand the problem for normal people when he asks for things from us at the absolute last minute. Because to him that's fine and his usual work style anyway

Our plant manager has random panics at 3AM and sends out texts about whatever the thing is, which we don’t have to respond to till we get to work but I have to keep my ringer on at night since I have to answer if there is an emergency and they wake me up half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
not the company, directly but -- that Mental Health emailer from the healthcare company you're about to lose, the day after you are told you are being let go

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Our plant manager has random panics at 3AM and sends out texts about whatever the thing is, which we don’t have to respond to till we get to work but I have to keep my ringer on at night since I have to answer if there is an emergency and they wake me up half the time.

sad fist bump smiley dot gif

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Most modern phones allow you to set a "do not disturb" schedule where your phone won't make any noise, but you can whitelist specific numbers or contacts that bypass it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
even so, the work person who messages in the middle of the night instead of holding onto it until morning is, absolutely most decidedly, an rear end in a top hat. sometimes i get insomnia and then I pick up my phone and blammo work stuff and while i ignore it until morning, now it's just THERE floating in my mine for like 6 hours before I need to be thinking of it and certainly not helping with the insomnia!! it's just a terrible thing to do to a worker.

whatever you need to do to set a reminder to follow up in the AM instead of burdening people in the middle of the night, do ittttttt stop just spraying out thoughts when they come to yoooou

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

You can schedule messages in advance now so there's really no excuse

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Time to start ignoring emergencies due to alarm fatigue!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bizwank posted:

Most modern phones allow you to set a "do not disturb" schedule where your phone won't make any noise, but you can whitelist specific numbers or contacts that bypass it.

Guess who is one of the most likely to call/text me if there’s an emergency!

I may just set his text sound to nothing though. But then he gets mad if we’re at work and he sends a message and our phones don’t make a noise because he wants us to respond in five minutes good loving god does saying some of this poo poo out loud make me realize how terribly I need to leave.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

You can allow/disallow calls and messages separately for each contact. Just mute texts from him during non-work hours and allow calls whenever you should be allowing calls.

But also maybe look for a new job lol

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Another great visit from my boomer coworker. Gas prices are so high because Jimmy Carter won't let us drill. Sick of all this hottest day ever BS, ya know people say we're headed for another ice age. More talk about all his retirement revenue sources, including how he's drawing Social Security soon. Somehow my suggestion that he could actually retire sooner than later turned into him telling me all the places he's been around the world with topless beaches.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

Another great visit from my boomer coworker. Gas prices are so high because Jimmy Carter won't let us drill. Sick of all this hottest day ever BS, ya know people say we're headed for another ice age. More talk about all his retirement revenue sources, including how he's drawing Social Security soon. Somehow my suggestion that he could actually retire sooner than later turned into him telling me all the places he's been around the world with topless beaches.

I can picture him very clearly.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

lol 4x overtime pay over Amazon Prime day(s) to hang out in Slack and provide 'support' for our sales team and nothing happened and no-one sold poo poo because prices are 40% higher than they were this time last year anyway, so you can cut all you want, no-one is fooled.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

But due to weird rules that the MSP I work for has...I'm not supposed to have that company's email on my phone. So I never got that email until i saw it...after driving in over an hour to get to the office. Thankfully, I bring my own water and lunch anyway, so I'm fine there, but what a fuckin pain. And here's the kicker:
This company uses a mass alert system (I think called Everbridge?) that has EVERYONE'S phone # who works in the building to send texts or phone calls to. This is employees, as well as all contractors (which at the very least is about 80% of the IT staff, and all of the janitorial and security staff.) for emergencies just like this. I know it works, they has to use it a couple years ago when all the water in the building was off ( so couldn't even use toilets, at least we have that today.)

We have Everbridge at work, and it seems to mainly alert managers and very few of the actual employees. We had a problem once and someone got on our department's rear end about the alert, and why we weren't responding. When they first setup the system, they only had put in so many people. Anyone who was skipped initially was never added on.
The worst part about this is then someone will start THE WAROOM call. Which is a fancy name for a conference call. They try to involve multiple people from every department, if you leave to actually work on the problem, someone will tattle about your number leaving and they'll call you.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Time to start ignoring emergencies due to alarm fatigue!

Reminds me of when we got a new EMS (Energy Managey System) when I was a Transmission Dispatcher. This time around our corporate overlords decided that all the utilities under the holding company should get the same new EMS at the same time. And since all the other utilities were smaller, they all wanted audible alarms for every little thing. So of course at the big utility I work for, the first thing everyone did on the day the new EMS went live was to silence the PCs running the EMS. The unending noise that first day was miserable.

Then fast forward to me being on a standardization committee for new issues brought forth and to align issues between all the utilities. I can’t count how many times I had to explicitly state that until the audible alarms became customizable, or shrank down to two very specific cases (Fire Alarms and Transformer Major Alarms) my utility would not be turning the audibles back on. And every time people from the other utilities would be baffled.

Sometimes I miss being on that committee and being able to tell managers 1 and 2 levels higher than myself “Oh hell no, that ain’t happening” in only slightly nicer language.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Job just laid off a fuckload of people. Most were superfluous bigwigs n such but they also took our entire reprographics group so now there are dudes making 6 figs in the repro shop trying to learn how to use spiral binders and the gigaprinters.

Also they nixed the spot that was supposed to come on to assist me Ive been short for 3 years since my boss yeeted himself from some equipment and I became the boss.

They have money ofc but we'd rather spend that on fancy buildings n poo poo instead of people. Can't wait till im finally making enough to be comfortable, knowing full well that'll put me on the block to get cut and replaced by someone cheaper/more desperate

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Anchor Wanker posted:

Also they nixed the spot that was supposed to come on to assist me Ive been short for 3 years since my boss yeeted himself from some equipment and I became the boss.

Uh. By accident or in response to having to work there?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Anchor Wanker posted:

Congrats on that promotion. I don't want to know if Barudak helped you get it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cyrano4747 posted:

he thinks he's king of the world because he owns a local widget distributer and HR is his wife.

Are you sure you haven't worked in the brewing industry before?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

20 Blunts posted:

not the company, directly but -- that Mental Health emailer from the healthcare company you're about to lose, the day after you are told you are being let go

I got a call a few weeks back, from the healthcare navigation company that my company works with, letting me know that they're there and if I have any problems to just call.

I was laid off 6 months ago. Thanks for the offer though, it sounds like you got better than your disastrous launch a year ago! :rolleyes:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The MSP that handles Hardware Lifecycle for us has laid off 8 people in the past week, including two close personal friends. FTE layoffs are rumored to be announced first week in August.

Boooooooooooo!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Salami Surgeon posted:

Congrats on that promotion. I don't want to know if Barudak helped you get it.

Got to get those sales numbers down one way or the other

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Guess who is one of the most likely to call/text me if there’s an emergency!

I may just set his text sound to nothing though. But then he gets mad if we’re at work and he sends a message and our phones don’t make a noise because he wants us to respond in five minutes good loving god does saying some of this poo poo out loud make me realize how terribly I need to leave.

You read your posts out loud?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You don't?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

You don't?

Sometimes I even do voices.

Your posts are in a thick Bronx accent.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

madeintaipei posted:

Sometimes I even do voices.

Your posts are in a thick Bronx accent.

Can someone please tell me if I've been insulted or complemented.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CitizenKain posted:

The worst part about this is then someone will start THE WAROOM call. Which is a fancy name for a conference call. They try to involve multiple people from every department, if you leave to actually work on the problem, someone will tattle about your number leaving and they'll call you.

I was on a conference call for a P2 where the issue was Software X tries to connect to Database Y, but intermittently gets an authentication timeout and the connection fails.
The "network team" would run commands like ping -n 100 DatabaseServer.Corp.CompanyName.Com and then say "Nope, Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss), the network is fine!"

[fake spoiler] Weeks later it was determined that the problem was the network (of course it was.)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

As my buddy Freddie would say, "Faaahhk Awwwf."

Which is how you knew he cared. :)

Don Karnage
Oct 9, 2016
Today at the "your boss is leaving so you need to divvy up their work amongst yourselves" meeting, my team was informed that although my boss will be replaced at some point, the powers at be will not be filling the other two open positions on my team due to budget cuts and "prioritization of other needs." I have been doing the work of two people since last fall and was hoping we may get some relief soon, but no, 5% budget cut instead. No merit raises this year either and cost of living increase limited to 1.5% (maybe 3% 'if things turn around') due to the "economic climate."

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Outrail posted:

That depends on what part of New York you're in. If you're not from New York, both.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Don Karnage posted:

Today at the "your boss is leaving so you need to divvy up their work amongst yourselves" meeting, my team was informed that although my boss will be replaced at some point, the powers at be will not be filling the other two open positions on my team due to budget cuts and "prioritization of other needs." I have been doing the work of two people since last fall and was hoping we may get some relief soon, but no, 5% budget cut instead. No merit raises this year either and cost of living increase limited to 1.5% (maybe 3% 'if things turn around') due to the "economic climate."

quit

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah time to start doing the bare minimum so that poo poo can function, polish up the resume and gtfo

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If your boss gives you two extra jobs to do without compensation, reduce your actual work by 2/3rds. Work slower and worse.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MonkeyHate posted:

sad fist bump smiley dot gif

My boss will text me questions shortly after he arrives, generally around 0615.

I leave work at 0230, and try to be in bed by 0400. Sigh.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Have you thought about murder

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Don Karnage posted:

There's your problem. It looks to your bosses like the work of one person.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

tactlessbastard posted:

Add 2 hours overtime every time he texts, and also

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Have you thought about murder

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I used to get freezer alarm calls/texts at all hours from my last job and I can't lie, I was 50% annoyed that they were dumb as poo poo and hadn't updated my contact list or gotten their poo poo under control, and 50% vindictively happy that their poo poo is failing without me, lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Set up a roster for our team on my Google sheets and a few months after I quit they send an email 'hey the timetable isn't working can we get access back?'

Lol no

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

Set up a roster for our team on my Google sheets and a few months after I quit they send an email 'hey the timetable isn't working can we get access back?'

Lol no

Yes, my one time flat fee is $69420 :stroop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Outrail posted:

Lol no

The answer to this is "sure, who do I send my consulting rate to?"