Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hmm, rereading Sakamoto. Piisuke isn’t around this chapter. I wonder if Heisuke sent him to get Sakamoto.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I love Heisuke and it's so cool to see him again after him just not being around for quite a while.

I’d also say he’s good the way he’s being used. Being the perfect sniper makes it hard to have him have good match ups unless he doesn’t want to kill and it might make his gimmick run thin if overused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Koirhor posted:

Just hoping that there was character growth like Naruto, umm cool I’ll keep the volume adjusted

The manga is probably the better way to experience black clover. The anime has a lot of filler and mediocre animation, not to mention Asta's voice acting...

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The latest Gachiakuta chapter is so loving funny.

After an entire hand-to-hand + powers fight, eh, gently caress it, just shoot her. I wonder if this was the plan all along or if the author just wanted to be done with this fight.The fact that it's supposed to be ominous is even funnier

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

The latest Gachiakuta chapter is so loving funny.

After an entire hand-to-hand + powers fight, eh, gently caress it, just shoot her. I wonder if this was the plan all along or if the author just wanted to be done with this fight.The fact that it's supposed to be ominous is even funnier

:boom:
Whole thing reads to me like Scissor Chick was always like this but needs the right context before she punches the "I win" button and stops loving around playing "fair" with her opponents. Her shoes shouldn't match, but she might also be the person who shot Jabber a couple chapters ago meaning when she pulls her piece she enters into a whole different mindset and she's now going about cleaning up the opposition.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: Everything in this chapter is incredible. :allears:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
MarriageToxin: Car dealerships hate her. Woman totals every vehicle she touches.

Darth TNT posted:

I’d also say he’s good the way he’s being used. Being the perfect sniper makes it hard to have him have good match ups unless he doesn’t want to kill and it might make his gimmick run thin if overused.

This is true. I also think it helps that magnet lady is somewhat sympathetic/likeable. Against other opponents Heisuke not shooting to kill would be pretty grating.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

You stop looking at her like that! Don't find her charming!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
MARRIAGETOXIN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E&t=61s

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marriagetoxin: Everything in this chapter is incredible. :allears:

No lies detected. This was a roller :v: coaster of emotions and action.
Marriagetoxin is really really good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SpacePig posted:

You stop looking at her like that! Don't find her charming!

It's... it's too late :negative:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shibatarian: New chapter dropped and IMHO, after an extremely strong opening, this manga really managed to stick the landing and keep running. Just a really good mix of absurdity, tension, creepiness and mystery. I will be definitely checking it out each weak.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

started reading marriage-toxin because of the positive posts in this thread and I really love the format of goof-off / setup / assassin fight / date. It makes for a very pleasant read and I hope it runs for long enough to have some of these early dates return

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would say its biggest flaw is that it completely drops old characters out of the story as it goes, only letting them show up in omake mini-chapters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess i'm still just assuming its fairly early in and whenever it gets to a major arc it will involve a bunch of returning characters.

Though I guess beast arc was kinda the first "big" dramatic arc and that was only new folk.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess i'm still just assuming its fairly early in and whenever it gets to a major arc it will involve a bunch of returning characters.

Though I guess beast arc was kinda the first "big" dramatic arc and that was only new folk.

I’m currently up to here and that’s not quite true, water user just rolled up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's true actually. Not one of the Love interests but true. Same with getting some returning characters when insect user got married and Gero's sister just showed back up for a couple chapters.

I do think we will be getting returning characters in bigger roles. Just not sure when its going to get around to it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shibatarian: New chapter dropped and IMHO, after an extremely strong opening, this manga really managed to stick the landing and keep running. Just a really good mix of absurdity, tension, creepiness and mystery. I will be definitely checking it out each weak.

I was worried about how it would keep momentum but the author has really managed to keep it going. It’s really not like anything I’m currently reading which is great. I hope it’s doing well enough to keep going.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I was not expecting Shibata-Inu to have a sympathetic tragic backstory.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double:Gym teacher came in with the clutch save. Barring any other reveals I think this was an effective bait and switch while also informing us why the MC is so willing to eat poo poo to find out who killed his father.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Skeleton Double is real loving good

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So how about the wild strawberry?
I guess it’s going for more of a horror take? Not sure I like the art much, but I’ll follow it for now.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Darth TNT posted:

So how about the wild strawberry?
I guess it’s going for more of a horror take? Not sure I like the art much, but I’ll follow it for now.

Interesting setup, but super bland characters (for now)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

can we begin a list of “mildly esoteric dessert item that the shonen protagonist enjoys, as a running gag?” I have a few:

mash - cream puffs
saiki - coffee jelly
gero - diy candy kits

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Gash - yellowtail

Wait, that's not a dessert.

Anyway new Gash just dropped.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/e18ae51d-36ea-4b8e-91eb-e577d1e1f9c1/1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alacron posted:

Gash - yellowtail

The new Gash is so good

edit: I love how Tio is now swole and fights with some sort of chained shield thing that looks like a weapon Kratos would use in God of War, despite being the character with healing powers in the original series.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 14, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The new Gash is so good

edit: I love how Tio is now swole and fights with some sort of chained shield thing that looks like a weapon Kratos would use in God of War, despite being the character with healing powers in the original series.

The paradigm is shifting, no longer are medics spindly wizards in cloaks that sit in the back row casting cure. They are muscle wizards that will punch your poo poo in and then heal you up so they can do it again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alacron posted:

Gash - yellowtail

gently caress yeah!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

The paradigm is shifting, no longer are medics spindly wizards in cloaks that sit in the back row casting cure. They are muscle wizards that will punch your poo poo in and then heal you up so they can do it again.

Remember: DPSing is mitigating future damage.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Guess this is where I post the Minato one shot for Naruto?

https://opscans.com/2238-2/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The new Gash is so good

I am besides myself with excitement to see just how much Tio wrecks that bastard's poo poo with a combination of incredibly swole and healshield. Muscle Tio is incredibly cool.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Curious if Tio went and learned kung fu from Won Lei like she asked to in the og series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm stoked to learn how megumi got there. she was never exactly my favorite recurring character, but i'm sure this will add a lot to tio's (better) story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm stoked to learn how megumi got there. she was never exactly my favorite recurring character, but i'm sure this will add a lot to tio's (better) story.

I don't think she's physically there. I think it's supposed to be like Won Lei's final fight in the first series where Li-en was able to cast the spells with perfect timing through feeling alone despite being separated by a wall just because they had that type of bond.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't think she's physically there. I think it's supposed to be like Won Lei's final fight in the first series where Li-en was able to cast the spells with perfect timing through feeling alone despite being separated by a wall just because they had that type of bond.

no, she's definitely physically there. her clothes are tattered and scorched, and it looks like the other demons can see her too. also, megumi is reacting to the scene in front of her.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, she's definitely physically there. her clothes are tattered and scorched, and it looks like the other demons can see her too. also, megumi is reacting to the scene in front of her.

You know I'm a moron for some reason I thought the people behind her were the audience from her concert lol you're right

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I started reading Witch Watch.

The comedy and the relationships between the guys are so good, but everything about the two leads' ostensible romantic relationship is so bad. I might even go so far as to say that Nico is just a bad character, although she would probably be a good one if I was confident that the way people constantly both pile responsibility on her and infantilize her at the same time was on purpose.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Skeleton Double:

I got real worried when the story started going down the "school shooter" route. Having such a protagonist requires a "Taxi Driver" level of setup and writing to ensure the protagonist is not simply glorified or praised for his unhealthy obsessions, but I do not expect that level of writing in a shonen manga. For the better, the narrative goes down a more typical shonen route. I like the transition to a teacher intervention since that story beat reiterates a theme of the overall narrative where a random stranger helps another and informs more about Yodomi's character such as explaining how Yodomi's inclination to fighting stems more from his years of dealing with his emotions through physical exercise rather than from his obsessive machinations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I started reading Witch Watch.

The comedy and the relationships between the guys are so good, but everything about the two leads' ostensible romantic relationship is so bad. I might even go so far as to say that Nico is just a bad character, although she would probably be a good one if I was confident that the way people constantly both pile responsibility on her and infantilize her at the same time was on purpose.

The "ostensible romantic relationship" makes a bit more sense later on. Ogre martial arts training induces extreme sexual repression, basically. But I agree it would probably have been better if the story didn't try to make the romantic dynamic work in the first place.

Witch Watch varies wildly in quality, in general. Sometimes you get brilliant ideas like the Udon Mirage chapters, sometimes it runs out of ideas and reuses situations and gags, sometimes it has entire chapters of Monopoly Guy gags, and sometimes it even has an actual plot.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 15, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Silver2195 posted:

Witch Watch varies wildly in quality, in general. Sometimes you get brilliant ideas like the Udon Mirage chapters, sometimes it runs out of ideas and reuses situations and gags, sometimes it has entire chapters of Monopoly Guy gags, and sometimes it even has an actual plot.

Yeah, Witch Watch is very up and down, but I don't think it's ever been worse than "mediocre." it really feels like the mangaka is flying by the seat of their pants sometimes, but for the most part it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sometimes they manage pure comedic brilliance, but the rest of the time it's mostly okay. the same was true for sket dance.