Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

In the bicycling world, about every five years, there's some amazing new airless tire that's just around the corner, and then never materializes, or does, and is total garbage. This apparently goes back to the 1800s.

It's gonna be really interesting to see if somebody finally makes a viable one.

Yeah I'm following the trickling news on this one- they've been working with GM specifically using the Bolt platform for a lot of the testing.

Oops, it's Micheline, not Bridgestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure what they're actually tuning with these solid wheels since the modern ones basically look the same as the ones I was reading about in Popular Mechanics like 15 years ago. I imagine the supports get a lot less springy over time even if they provide suitable ride comfort for a little while.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm following the trickling news on this one- they've been working with GM specifically using the Bolt platform for a lot of the testing.

The main issue with the prototypes was fit on conventional rims, now it's a cheap sintered rim with the tire printed on top. You replace both, the plastic gets melted and recycled, the rim cleaned up and checked for fit, if it's too banged up it also gets melted and recycled.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Seems like a thin sidewall would still be good to protect against debris getting in the spokes, but the prototypes/press demos probably want to show off the tech

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
You can buy them right now for off-road vehicles: https://tweel.michelinman.com/

They've apparently been sold commercially since 2012. AFAIK they don't handle highway speeds well, which is presumably why we don't see them targeting anything faster than a utility ATV or side by side.

Speleothing posted:

Seems like a thin sidewall would still be good to protect against debris getting in the spokes, but the prototypes/press demos probably want to show off the tech
You'd really think so, right? Especially for the ATV/UTV fitments, I can imagine riding that through some thick mud and having it collect inside the tire throwing everything off balance until you were able to hose it out.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've been seeing these on articles on and off for years, the biggest thing that I think will work against them is they are almost certainly a lot heavier than a conventional tire which will have a pretty bad impact on efficiency.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Those have nasty vibration problems at speed but they’re starting to be used along with foam filled tires in light construction type applications. The downside is they suck in mud because the gaps fill up with mud and that is very bad for your equipment - hence foam filled tires being a more desirable option. Or solid tires, that’s a thing too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cruft posted:

In the bicycling world, about every five years, there's some amazing new airless tire that's just around the corner, and then never materializes, or does, and is total garbage. This apparently goes back to the 1800s.

It's gonna be really interesting to see if somebody finally makes a viable one.

There's actually a perfect application for the solid rubber tire in the bicycling world. When specialized come out with their version on the Alibi comfort bike, we sold a ton to 1) students going like 1-2 miles to class 2) snowbirds who stash their bikes for 6-8 months at a time and only ride on smooth paved path, slowly. In both cases, you don't ever have to worry about flats or inflating tires (it's not hard but you'd be surprised). Also in both cases, we assume you're not riding for more than half an hour at a time because not surprisingly, they were not very comfortable after that duration.

There's no way I'd see a good application for them on a car. Maybe a golf cart?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Russian Bear posted:

There's actually a perfect application for the solid rubber tire in the bicycling world. When specialized come out with their version on the Alibi comfort bike, we sold a ton to 1) students going like 1-2 miles to class 2) snowbirds who stash their bikes for 6-8 months at a time and only ride on smooth paved path, slowly. In both cases, you don't ever have to worry about flats or inflating tires (it's not hard but you'd be surprised). Also in both cases, we assume you're not riding for more than half an hour at a time because not surprisingly, they were not very comfortable after that duration.

There's no way I'd see a good application for them on a car. Maybe a golf cart?

My sister’s Specialized cruiser bike has them. She’s like the least technical/bike friendly person in the world tho, and tbh I’ve never seen her ride it, and I’d be shocked if it has more than like 30 miles on it max, so I can’t speak to their quality or longevity/comfort.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Apparently New Jersey has a bunch of ev incentives now, you can get a Bolt EUV for $16k which is pretty wild

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Chronojam posted:

Apparently New Jersey has a bunch of ev incentives now, you can get a Bolt EUV for $16k which is pretty wild

Can you elaborate?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Can you elaborate?

NJ just updated their rebate for electric vehicles; anything under $45k qualifies for a $4000 rebate from the state. Add in the $7500 federal rebate, and you're potentially knocking off 11.5k off the sticker price.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
CO just updated to $5k off for MSRP under 80(?) I think.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kimcicle posted:

NJ just updated their rebate for electric vehicles; anything under $45k qualifies for a $4000 rebate from the state. Add in the $7500 federal rebate, and you're potentially knocking off 11.5k off the sticker price.

Lowness 72 posted:

CO just updated to $5k off for MSRP under 80(?) I think.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

kimcicle posted:

Also, EVs are exempt from sales tax.

This is specifically why I went with the RWD ID.4 since those were the only ID.4s that had an MSRP below that limit. While I contemplated the Bolts for that super low price, I opted to get a bigger and arguably nicer car with the ID.4. Not the say that the Bolts are bad as I never bothered to test drive one. However, there is bound to be differences in quality with that $20k price difference and, to me, the ID.4 is the nicest car I've ever owned.

The state rebate was applied at purchase and the dealer was pretty straightforward with charging me MSRP so I ended up paying about $42k just for the car. I did pay for a wheel and tire package that has already payed dividends when a piece of steel cord embeded itself into the sidewall which completely wrote off that tire. :negative: Roadside service and towing (up to 3 years or 36k miles) was also included with the car itself so I ended up not paying a dime and thankfully didn't have to use the tire slime.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Edward IV posted:

Also, EVs are exempt from sales tax.

This is specifically why I went with the RWD ID.4 since those were the only ID.4s that had an MSRP below that limit. While I contemplated the Bolts for that super low price, I opted to get a bigger and arguably nicer car with the ID.4. Not the say that the Bolts are bad as I never bothered to test drive one. However, there is bound to be differences in quality with that $20k price difference and, to me, the ID.4 is the nicest car I've ever owned.

The state rebate was applied at purchase and the dealer was pretty straightforward with charging me MSRP so I ended up paying about $42k just for the car. I did pay for a wheel and tire package that has already payed dividends when a piece of steel cord embeded itself into the sidewall which completely wrote off that tire. :negative: Roadside service and towing (up to 3 years or 36k miles) was also included with the car itself so I ended up not paying a dime and thankfully didn't have to use the tire slime.

I tried the ID4 and Bolt and went Bolt. 20k price difference roughly. Gave up the back massager, the sunroof and absolutely insane turn radius in the ID4. The Bolt slightly less sexy, more practical and plenty of range for daily drives and day trips. If I go long haul it's the wife's CRV or a rental. No state rebate in Ohio, but it was under $35k and the feds owe me $7500 back.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Electrek posted:

Tereso Medina Ramirez, general secretary of the Confederation of Workers of Mexico (CTM), said GM’s Ramos Arizple facility is now producing 65 Blazer EV models per hour. He added the first order of the new electric SUV had already left for the US.

https://electrek.co/2023/07/12/first-chevy-blazer-ev-en-route-us/

By any math, that's well over 2000 units per week per shift.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 13, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Speleothing posted:

https://electrek.co/2023/07/12/first-chevy-blazer-ev-en-route-us/

By any math, that's well over 2000 units per week per shift.

:dogstare:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Man we’re really hitting the hockey stick part of the curve as far as production goes, and adoption doesn’t seem to be far behind, 50% increase yoy is huge.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Chronojam posted:

Is this still chargeup NJ? Last I read the fund was exhausted for the year. I was bummed about missing the cutoff but if someone has links to any other info I'd be grateful. $4k off the top sounds magical to me.

kimcicle posted:

Got a link?

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 13, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Whenever I see production volumes for cars Im amazed honestly, because Im like, who tf is buying all these cars, surely there cant be that many people needing new cars

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Is this still chargeup NJ? Last I read the fund was exhausted for the year. I was bummed about missing the cutoff but if someone has links to any other info I'd be grateful. $4k off the top sounds magical to me.

It looks like they relaunched it for the next fiscal year yesterday but orders made between 4/17 and 7/12 won't be eligible.
https://www.nj.gov/bpu/newsroom/2023/approved/20230712.html
https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com

I bought my ID.4 in March so it looks like I got in just under the wire.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Edward IV posted:

It looks like they relaunched it for the next fiscal year yesterday but orders made between 4/17 and 7/12 won't be eligible.
https://www.nj.gov/bpu/newsroom/2023/approved/20230712.html
https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com

I bought my ID.4 in March so it looks like I got in just under the wire.

Thanks, yeah just looked. Very interested.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OctaMurk posted:

Whenever I see production volumes for cars Im amazed honestly, because Im like, who tf is buying all these cars, surely there cant be that many people needing new cars
Lotta people out there tbf.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I expected Hyundai to build a hot Ioniq 5 that matches the Kia EV6 GT, but not one that exceeds it!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That looks pretty sick and I want one. I don’t care for the EV6 styling but like the ioniq5’s and that looks ridiculously fun.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Couple questions for anyone who has installed a L2 charger at home in NJ:

1) Whats the process on the PSEG rebate and overnight charging? Do you just fill out a form after the install w/ recepits and wait for a check/credit? Then they set you up to bill you the overnight rates on charging?

2) Currently own a leaf w/ J1772 connector but most likely getting a tesla or something w/ NACS by end of year. Is there a charger with swappable connectors?

3) Should I go hard wired or plug into 240 plug? Will this impact #2?

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 13, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

2024 is going to be the year, goons. The year we build the solar array out to cover 100% of our electricity use.

When we put the first panels in, we still had a gas heating system (water and HVAC), and we had a gasoline car. We sized the panels to pretty much break even on our electricity use: about 300 watts average over the year.

The last 10 years we've been slowly converting everything to (efficient) electric in the house. The last thing to go was the water heater, last year. Now we've disconnected the natural gas and are no longer buying gasoline.

We finally know have an upper bound on1 how much energy it takes to run 3 people with the most energy-efficient stuff you can get that doesn't cost a fortune, and two electric cars.

2000 watts, or 1461 kWh/month if you hate units that make sense

That is twenty (20) 100-watt incandescent light bulbs. That is this:

💡💡💡💡💡
💡💡💡💡💡
💡💡💡💡💡
💡💡💡💡💡

Remember 10 years ago when the Department of Energy was pleading with people to stop using incandescent light bulbs? That's why. Turn off 20 of those and it can run our entire hours and two cars.

---

Last year, our lowest energy-use month is July, when we used about 600 kWh. Our highest use was February, when we used about 2250 kWh. We're probably going to size the system to February, and I guess we'll just sell power to the electrical co-op most months.

We're going to get a battery, too. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Nissan's promise 10+ years ago is going to come through for us: we won't be able to use V2G, and we'll just have a separate battery that's only for the house. This is partly because we still can't easily buy a V2G solution for our home, but also because it's going to be less expensive this way. I'm not 100% sure about this, we'll talk with the solar company. Maybe I can still talk dad out of his LEAF, which has a massive battery compared to what we'd hook up to our house.

1 It's difficult to know exactly how much electricity we are using, since the only measure we have is the electricity bill, which is just the electricity we are pulling from the grid. In winter, our panels make less electricity than in summer. I'm assuming in these calculations that the panels generate 300 watts constantly. For those who like calculators, we have 6 panels, at about 18% efficiency, and we live in New Mexico with nothing occluding the sun. The panels are at a fixed angle toward the arc of the sun in summer: you can assume they are pointed directly at the sun at noon on summer solstice.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 13, 2023

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

cruft posted:

Solar Stuff

I would love to do this long term. What's your total bill for installation going to look like you think?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

2) Currently own a leaf w/ J1772 connector but most likely getting a tesla or something w/ NACS by end of year. Is there a charger with swappable connectors?

Yes, several claim to have this. My recommendation, though, is to get a tesla adapter for the LEAF and install the Tesla wall charger. Lectron makes a nice adapter that they sell on Amazon. I have one, and I use it to charge our Bolt and my dad's LEAF from our Tesla wall charger :)

When I priced this out a few months ago, the Tesla wall charger + Lectron adapter was the lowest cost option from a manufacturer that didn't look like "we used the absolute lowest cost parts and it will even maybe not kill you". The other nice advantage here is that you get a Tesla adapter for the LEAF. Your new Tesla will come with a J1772 adapter. (Don't forget to post a photo here when you buy it!)

Grizzl-E was another solid looking option at that time, and I'm sure they now either have or are working hard on a NACS plug.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

3) Should I go hard wired or plug into 240 plug? Will this impact #2?

People ITT disagree with me on this point, but I think if you have the option, you should go hard-wired. Especially if you're going with NACS, which appears to be the forward-looking choice at this point.

Here's why I prefer hard-wired:

• It looks nicer
  • Safer (fewer opportunities for electrocution or ground faults)

Here are reasons you might want an outlet instead:

• You think you're going to be replacing your L2 EVSE frequently
  • You occasionally need to plug in a TIG welder or an RV

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I would love to do this long term. What's your total bill for installation going to look like you think?

I will let you know in a few days!

(Probably a lot)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Maybe that’s why Cadillac only made seven or eight of their EV

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I put in 4kW of additional solar on my house this spring and paid ~$12k. That's before the 30% federal tax credit.

The price was a bit high in my estimation (but still the lowest of 5 bids) due to a sudden surge of demand to get in before the deadline for net energy metering changes in CA.

even with the higher purchase price my ROI will be about 3.5 years. If I had delayed and been forced onto the new plan the ROI would have been 9+ years. NEM 3.0/"solar billing plan" isn't worth it unless you install batteries (in Southern California Edison territory anyway).

Combined with the ~2kW of solar I already had it covers all my electric use including 2 EVs. Heat, range, dryer, and water heat are still gas, I hope to replace them soon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

Here's why I prefer hard-wired:

• It looks nicer
  • Safer (fewer opportunities for electrocution or ground faults)

Here are reasons you might want an outlet instead:

• You think you're going to be replacing your L2 EVSE frequently
  • You occasionally need to plug in a TIG welder or an RV

Hardwired is also currently the code (not necessarily adopted everywhere yet, but will be sooner or later), so may be your only choice.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Walrusmaster posted:

I put in 4kW of additional solar on my house this spring and paid ~$12k. That's before the 30% federal tax credit.

The price was a bit high in my estimation (but still the lowest of 5 bids) due to a sudden surge of demand to get in before the deadline for net energy metering changes in CA.

even with the higher purchase price my ROI will be about 3.5 years. If I had delayed and been forced onto the new plan the ROI would have been 9+ years. NEM 3.0/"solar billing plan" isn't worth it unless you install batteries (in Southern California Edison territory anyway).

Combined with the ~2kW of solar I already had it covers all my electric use including 2 EVs. Heat, range, dryer, and water heat are still gas, I hope to replace them soon.

How big is your house? Mine's about 1000 ft², for people comparing numbers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

Yes, several claim to have this. My recommendation, though, is to get a tesla adapter for the LEAF and install the Tesla wall charger. Lectron makes a nice adapter that they sell on Amazon. I have one, and I use it to charge our Bolt and my dad's LEAF from our Tesla wall charger :)

When I priced this out a few months ago, the Tesla wall charger + Lectron adapter was the lowest cost option from a manufacturer that didn't look like "we used the absolute lowest cost parts and it will even maybe not kill you". The other nice advantage here is that you get a Tesla adapter for the LEAF. Your new Tesla will come with a J1772 adapter. (Don't forget to post a photo here when you buy it!)

Grizzl-E was another solid looking option at that time, and I'm sure they now either have or are working hard on a NACS plug.

I have a reverse Tesla to J1772 adapter and use it weekly (with my Tesla Mobile Connector, as that's the only real option for a portable unit that can switch plugs). My adapter is from TeslaTap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Hardwired is also currently the code (not necessarily adopted everywhere yet, but will be sooner or later), so may be your only choice.

Have they actually added in verbiage about EV chargers not allowed to be cord-and-plug connected loads? As far as I'm aware the NEC doesn't give a poo poo about what you plug into an outlet, as long as it's UL listed, with a few exceptions that aren't allowed to be C&P.

E: I would really, really like to install solar, but I don't think I'd get much out if it, since the sun barely rises above the tree-line here in the winters, when my consumption is by far the highest.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

cruft posted:

How big is your house? Mine's about 1000 ft², for people comparing numbers.

Just over 2000sqft. The house is more efficient than the average around here though, since it was built to a more recent building code.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

Have they actually added in verbiage about EV chargers not allowed to be cord-and-plug connected loads? As far as I'm aware the NEC doesn't give a poo poo about what you plug into an outlet, as long as it's UL listed, with a few exceptions that aren't allowed to be C&P.

E: I would really, really like to install solar, but I don't think I'd get much out if it, since the sun barely rises above the tree-line here in the winters, when my consumption is by far the highest.

I think the wording is about permanent installations (which may be up to interpretation). I am not an electrician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

2024 is going to be the year, goons. The year we build the solar array out to cover 100% of our electricity use.

When we put the first panels in, we still had a gas heating system (water and HVAC), and we had a gasoline car. We sized the panels to pretty much break even on our electricity use: about 300 watts average over the year.

The last 10 years we've been slowly converting everything to (efficient) electric in the house. The last thing to go was the water heater, last year. Now we've disconnected the natural gas and are no longer buying gasoline.

We finally know have an upper bound on1 how much energy it takes to run 3 people with the most energy-efficient stuff you can get that doesn't cost a fortune, and two electric cars.

2000 watts, or 1461 kWh/month if you hate units that make sense

That is twenty (20) 100-watt incandescent light bulbs. That is this:

💡💡💡💡💡
💡💡💡💡💡
💡💡💡💡💡
💡💡💡💡💡

Remember 10 years ago when the Department of Energy was pleading with people to stop using incandescent light bulbs? That's why. Turn off 20 of those and it can run our entire hours and two cars.

---

Last year, our lowest energy-use month is July, when we used about 600 kWh. Our highest use was February, when we used about 2250 kWh. We're probably going to size the system to February, and I guess we'll just sell power to the electrical co-op most months.

We're going to get a battery, too. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Nissan's promise 10+ years ago is going to come through for us: we won't be able to use V2G, and we'll just have a separate battery that's only for the house. This is partly because we still can't easily buy a V2G solution for our home, but also because it's going to be less expensive this way. I'm not 100% sure about this, we'll talk with the solar company. Maybe I can still talk dad out of his LEAF, which has a massive battery compared to what we'd hook up to our house.

1 It's difficult to know exactly how much electricity we are using, since the only measure we have is the electricity bill, which is just the electricity we are pulling from the grid. In winter, our panels make less electricity than in summer. I'm assuming in these calculations that the panels generate 300 watts constantly. For those who like calculators, we have 6 panels, at about 18% efficiency, and we live in New Mexico with nothing occluding the sun. The panels are at a fixed angle toward the arc of the sun in summer: you can assume they are pointed directly at the sun at noon on summer solstice.

This is cool. If I were still living in NM I'd love to do a project like this. Alas I'm now on the east cost and perpetually shrouded in darkness.