Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Symptoms sound like a restriction between the tank and the bowl so the flap may need adjustment. Try directly pulling it open all the way and see if it flushes normally. Over time, the chains or linkanges slip and don't pull the flap high enough.

Otherwise there may be something in the channels between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I edited the post, manually pulling the flap didnt seem to help much when I tried, but it might still be a flap problem and I'll give it a second look. I'm wondering now if it might be some sort of buildup in the bit connecting the tank to the bowl, though. I'll have to see if there is any way to check/fix that I guess.

I also was supposed to get final info on where the leech field was recently and the final conclusion is apparently "we don't know sorry good luck finding it". Which was the outcome I expected I guess. No food garden prep for me until I figure that out I suppose.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 11, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

I upgraded the old home depot true temper one my dad has with a second wheel (there was a kit with an axle and a second wheel available... 10 years ago or whatever), and it was a really good upgrade if you're filling it way up with grass clippings/leaves/whatever since it's a stable loading surface and rolls pretty easily through brush without getting stopped so much if there's sticks and whatnot. If you're buying new, one with two wheels is worth consideration if you're rolling it through a lot of ground cover that might hide sticks or need it stable with a lot of weight.

tired: wheelbarrow
wired: wheelsbarrow

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thankfully figured this out before I hosed up anything, but ends up, putting your rice cooker on a countertop underneath a hanging cabinet is loving stupid. It was giving a nice steam bath to the cabinets every time I made a pot, and would go up between the door and the frame so that it'd fog up the glass on the inside, condense and then drip down.

Smart Sundae is so smart. :downs:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My washing machine smells like mildew. I already scrubbed it down with vinegar and baking soda and ran the same mixture through the machine on a sanitize cycle. I always leave the door open and never leave wet clothes in there. None of that helped.

What's the next step? Bleach?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Harriet Carker posted:

My washing machine smells like mildew. I already scrubbed it down with vinegar and baking soda and ran the same mixture through the machine on a sanitize cycle. I always leave the door open and never leave wet clothes in there. None of that helped.

What's the next step? Bleach?

Bleach and if that doesn't seem to resolve it try sodium percarbonate

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Also find out if there's a lint filter anywhere. I found mine (old inherited washing machine) by accident and holy poo poo the buildup and stank in there was epic. I ran it through the dishwasher and now it smells alright.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Also find out if there's a lint filter anywhere. I found mine (old inherited washing machine) by accident and holy poo poo the buildup and stank in there was epic. I ran it through the dishwasher and now it smells alright.

Good call. I cleaned mine just now and it was sort of gross but not too bad. Gotta get some bleach and do a real sanitizing cycle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

the washing machine cleaning tablets seem to work pretty good in my experience too

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've posted this before for front load washer chat, but I wash whites last. With bleach, on the sanitize setting so it's a long very hot cycle.

Then I close the door and leave it shut until I next need it. And I never have smell/mold issues. In a humid climate.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My bathroom sinks don't seem to be sealed to the surface they're on, they're just placed there. When I wash my face there's a lot of splashing and some water drips onto the surface next to the sink, and then just drips into the cupboard below by getting between the sink and the surface, which is gross. The sinks have a faucet as part of them so I don't want to try lifting the sink or anything. It's a bit grody around where the sink joins to the countertop in the bathroom. So since there's no seal, I suppose my steps are:

1: clean surface thoroughly
2: wait to dry a bit I suppose
3: use silicon sealant or something?

Anything I'm missing? Do I seal by putting the stuff there and smoothing over it with my finger?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

My bathroom sinks don't seem to be sealed to the surface they're on, they're just placed there. When I wash my face there's a lot of splashing and some water drips onto the surface next to the sink, and then just drips into the cupboard below by getting between the sink and the surface, which is gross. The sinks have a faucet as part of them so I don't want to try lifting the sink or anything. It's a bit grody around where the sink joins to the countertop in the bathroom. So since there's no seal, I suppose my steps are:

1: clean surface thoroughly
2: wait to dry a bit I suppose
3: use silicon sealant or something?

Anything I'm missing? Do I seal by putting the stuff there and smoothing over it with my finger?

Yes on the silicone. You may want to tape if it's straight lines. And you want to wet your finger with a rag dipped in the strongest alcohol you have (high percentage rubbing, denatured, whatever). Go sparingly when applying. You can easily add more, but too much will be a mess.

Just smooth with your finger. Then wipe excess on the rag as necessary, re-wet your finger and keep going.

A little goes a long way and you just don't need much of a bead to seal a sink to a counter.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got a deck going in this week and am now browsing patio furniture listings online. Kinda incredible how many upholstered chairs and sofas with white fabric options there are out there. I suppose they might work ok in places with no trees or dirt or birds or whatever but I can't imagine them staying clean more than a day here. Anybody got any recs or brands they like? I honestly don't even know where to start.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A bunch of the windows in the house we bought in Feb had failing seals in the panels which were causing the low-e coating inside to corrode. The windows are a pretty low end brand (actually made Ply Gem but they don't admit to it on their main website) and while they have a "lifetime" warranty it is for the original buyer only and explicitly non-transferable.

I said what the hell and submitted a claim to Ply Gem anyway, and they approved it. So now I have over a thousand dollars worth of new window sashes being shipped to me lol.

I guess it makes sense for them to only invoke that clause in extreme cases; I will need to replace these windows at some point and this changed my mind about not to even consider anything from Ply Gem.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
my new house that I bought last Friday and moved into today has a shower stall with sliding glass doors. One of them just loving exploded on me when I was about to get in the shower a couple minutes ago.

I lucked out and did not get too badly cut, but holy poo poo did that scare the ever-loving poo poo out of me. Also you can imagine the state I was in since I was about to get into the shower. the deepest cut was like two inches away from the vein in my loving wrist.

Gonna replace that poo poo with a curtain holy poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my new house that I bought last Friday and moved into today has a shower stall with sliding glass doors. One of them just loving exploded on me when I was about to get in the shower a couple minutes ago.

I lucked out and did not get too badly cut, but holy poo poo did that scare the ever-loving poo poo out of me. Also you can imagine the state I was in since I was about to get into the shower. the deepest cut was like two inches away from the vein in my loving wrist.

You need to check for ancient burial grounds.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That happened to me when I was 12. Pulled the shower door shut with normal amount of force and the thing just exploded into a million pieces. Safety glass so not super dangerous, but my parents probably thought I was being murdered from the sounds I made.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Is there a chance that the insulation in my attic is making my house warmer? We bought a 1964 build ranch-style last year and one of the first things we did was clean up the (rotten/rodent turdy/almost nonexistent) insulation in the attic and replace it with new blown-in. But the days are getting warmer now (east county San Diego), and the house feels like an oven. I’m fairly certain the walls (stucco) lack insulation, and the windows are single pane, so I’m wondering if all of our heat gain is coming through the windows and walls, and then is basically trapped in by the attic insulation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Glass does not belong near the shower imo

Even when it’s not exploding it’s still a pain to maintain

Either use a curtain or go full wet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

illcendiary posted:

Is there a chance that the insulation in my attic is making my house warmer? We bought a 1964 build ranch-style last year and one of the first things we did was clean up the (rotten/rodent turdy/almost nonexistent) insulation in the attic and replace it with new blown-in. But the days are getting warmer now (east county San Diego), and the house feels like an oven. I’m fairly certain the walls (stucco) lack insulation, and the windows are single pane, so I’m wondering if all of our heat gain is coming through the windows and walls, and then is basically trapped in by the attic insulation.

If it's cooler at night outside, then open some windows to help let that air in. If you don't have good airflow then get some window fans, even just a box fan can make a massive difference sometimes

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Getting some heat rejecting window film would make a huge huge difference as well. Every window is roughly equivalent to a 1kW space heater running full blast.

A restaurant I used to get lunch at had heat rejecting film in every floor to ceiling window except for one pane that I guess they had replaced at some point but didn't spring for the nice film. The difference between sitting behind that particular window and the other windows was frankly astounding; in the winter I would be shivering if I sat anywhere else but pleasantly toasty in that sunbeam.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

You need to check for ancient burial grounds.

I consulted the Tarot cards and signs appeared to be auspicious, indicated things will work out fine if I keep workin at stuff and rely on help from the people I know.

Thank u spirits.

Back on the glass, it is still in the bathroom because I left all my cleaning supplies, including my broom and dustpan, at my old house because I'm going down there in a couple hours with my mom and aunt to do the final cleanup. So of course I just walked out back to relieve myself this morning and while I was back there I took a look at the river and the water level was pretty high. There were flood warnings last night and it looks like the water almost came over the lower bank, if the dirt that has accumulated on the steps leading down to the riverbed is any indication.

My house is another like 15-20 feet rise a good distance from the riverbank and about 350 feet away from there towards the road, so I don't think I'll ever have to worry about flooding. If water hits that point the entire region is hosed anyway.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

illcendiary posted:

Insulation just makes your house more resistant to the temperature outside. So it likely gets hotter during the day more slowly than if you didn't have the insulation, but on the other side it resists the temperature going down at night.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I haven't upgraded the insulation yet. It gets hot af upstairs during the day. I'm not even sure how much insulation I can add as it's a 1.5 story that the PO finished most of so there isn't much of an attic to insulate. There is some room on the slanted area that isn't finished that likely could use some insulation. The PO was also kind enough to not leave any in door access to the attic (against code oops) so I'm going to have to check it from some roof access panels. Been meaning to check it out for a while, but I am lazy. Will probably hire someone to add the insulation because gently caress doing that from the roof/ladders.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Seriously it seems like most stores don't even sell window fans or their window fans suck poo poo, I don't know why. If my living room is warm at night I put a box fan on my deck that blows air in and that fixes the problem within like 10 minutes. In college I had to figure out how to do this with just a window, I built a little shelf that a fan could sit on because the only window units that hardware stores around me sold were literally air conditioners that I couldn't afford.

Insulation is step one, airflow is step two.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My house is another like 15-20 feet rise a good distance from the riverbank and about 350 feet away from there towards the road, so I don't think I'll ever have to worry about flooding. If water hits that point the entire region is hosed anyway.
Yeah. I'm on the Pacific coast on a cliff 79 feet above sea level. If the water gets that high, I will swear briefly before drowning.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

QuarkJets posted:

Seriously it seems like most stores don't even sell window fans or their window fans suck poo poo, I don't know why. If my living room is warm at night I put a box fan on my deck that blows air in and that fixes the problem within like 10 minutes. In college I had to figure out how to do this with just a window, I built a little shelf that a fan could sit on because the only window units that hardware stores around me sold were literally air conditioners that I couldn't afford.

Insulation is step one, airflow is step two.

Any home improvement type store should have box fans. I know for a fact HD does, because one's blowing on me right now. 20 inches, basic as gently caress, think it cost ~$25. It's worked fine for years, sometime between then and now I kicked it over and broke the carry handle. I threw it away but I could have epoxied it if I gave a poo poo. It runs about 6 hours a day, five months a year and is basically the same today as it was when I bought it. The rest of the year it gets intermittent use in the garage

My thinking when I bought it after striking out at Target was that poo poo like that must be important if you're trying to blow a bunch of fumes and poo poo out of a room/house/etc from refinishing some floors or whatever, and sure enough there was just a big stack of them.

edit: pretty sure this is the exact one I have. Trip report: blows air, cools me off

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 14, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Getting some heat rejecting window film would make a huge huge difference as well. Every window is roughly equivalent to a 1kW space heater running full blast.

A restaurant I used to get lunch at had heat rejecting film in every floor to ceiling window except for one pane that I guess they had replaced at some point but didn't spring for the nice film. The difference between sitting behind that particular window and the other windows was frankly astounding; in the winter I would be shivering if I sat anywhere else but pleasantly toasty in that sunbeam.

Or external shutters!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

dxt posted:

Insulation just makes your house more resistant to the temperature outside. So it likely gets hotter during the day more slowly than if you didn't have the insulation, but on the other side it resists the temperature going down at night.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I haven't upgraded the insulation yet. It gets hot af upstairs during the day. I'm not even sure how much insulation I can add as it's a 1.5 story that the PO finished most of so there isn't much of an attic to insulate. There is some room on the slanted area that isn't finished that likely could use some insulation. The PO was also kind enough to not leave any in door access to the attic (against code oops) so I'm going to have to check it from some roof access panels. Been meaning to check it out for a while, but I am lazy. Will probably hire someone to add the insulation because gently caress doing that from the roof/ladders.

The second story on my 1.5 story house right now gets up to 100 degrees at times. The previous owner occupied the space and I have no clue how they survived. Luckily it needs to be gutted so I can add soffit vents and better insulation when I get to that project. Hopefully exterior insulation will happen down the road when I have to reroof.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Portable AC units have become pretty popular, they could have been using one of those. We keep one in a closet and only pull it out for the 2 days a year that it's needed, and only if we don't feel like going to the movies

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

raggedphoto posted:

The second story on my 1.5 story house right now gets up to 100 degrees at times. The previous owner occupied the space and I have no clue how they survived. Luckily it needs to be gutted so I can add soffit vents and better insulation when I get to that project. Hopefully exterior insulation will happen down the road when I have to reroof.

I am not sure it is actually possible to add enough insulation to the .5 story part to make that much of a different tbqh. I've got a cape cod and I think if I removed all the existing drywall and fiberglass insulation in the ceiling and walls the follow the roof line, I could get a max R-20 in there if I add 4" of XPS foam in the joist bays (6" beams and 2" for air circulation might not even be enough, I don't know). R-25 if I also add a 1" sheet of foam on top of the joists and then drywall back on top of that. One of the knee walls had no access panel when I bought this place and was just rocking the original 1940's insulation (4" of some kind of mineral wool?). I removed all that, added 2" rigid foam on the wall and like R-60 worth of fiberglass on the attic floor, air sealed everything and it didn't make a lick of difference to the air temp up there this summer. I am going to just install a ductless minisplit up there this fall and call it good.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

QuarkJets posted:

Portable AC units have become pretty popular, they could have been using one of those. We keep one in a closet and only pull it out for the 2 days a year that it's needed, and only if we don't feel like going to the movies

My house is 75 years old and the PO lived in it for 50 of those, the house was in neglected sate when we bought it as the PO had health issues for the last couple decades. Maybe they used a portable AC unit but it's been an issue for probably 75 years (summers have gotten much hotter here though).

Sirotan posted:

I am not sure it is actually possible to add enough insulation to the .5 story part to make that much of a different tbqh. I've got a cape cod and I think if I removed all the existing drywall and fiberglass insulation in the ceiling and walls the follow the roof line, I could get a max R-20 in there if I add 4" of XPS foam in the joist bays (6" beams and 2" for air circulation might not even be enough, I don't know). R-25 if I also add a 1" sheet of foam on top of the joists and then drywall back on top of that. One of the knee walls had no access panel when I bought this place and was just rocking the original 1940's insulation (4" of some kind of mineral wool?). I removed all that, added 2" rigid foam on the wall and like R-60 worth of fiberglass on the attic floor, air sealed everything and it didn't make a lick of difference to the air temp up there this summer. I am going to just install a ductless minisplit up there this fall and call it good.

Ours is a cape cod as well and yeah I don't think any amount of insulation in the ceiling will get us to a comfortable place. I've been reading through Fine Home Building and other places for ideas and there is no easy solution. I've landed on a 2 phase solution:

Add rigid foam as vent baffles and insulate on top of the foam to the drywall.

Install a new layer of R-20 to R-38 rigid foam on top of the roof sheathing when it's time for new roofing, preferably metal.

Hopefully that could get me to R40-R60 on the cathedral ceiling/roof and a heatpump zoned for the second story can take care of the rest. Thankfully for now the second story is just used for storage and I am going to tear out the flooring when I re-wire the house so it can take a backseat for now.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The state of modern box fans depresses me. There has to be a middle ground between lowest possible cost flimsy plastic blade with almost no pitch and makes a racket, and 1950s vintage chop your hands off wind tunnel.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

raggedphoto posted:

My house is 75 years old and the PO lived in it for 50 of those, the house was in neglected sate when we bought it as the PO had health issues for the last couple decades. Maybe they used a portable AC unit but it's been an issue for probably 75 years (summers have gotten much hotter here though).

[snip]

Thankfully for now the second story is just used for storage and I am going to tear out the flooring when I re-wire the house so it can take a backseat for now.

Are....are you me? Pretty much my identical situation except he lived here 30 years instead of 50 and I already tore out the nasty dog/cat (I hope) urine stained carpeting up there the day after I closed. Anyway, I also found some tidbits here that might be good food for thought: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/insulation-radiant-vapor-barriers/425143-insulation-cape-cod.html

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Qwijib0 posted:

The state of modern box fans depresses me. There has to be a middle ground between lowest possible cost flimsy plastic blade with almost no pitch and makes a racket, and 1950s vintage chop your hands off wind tunnel.

Blower style fans like this window one and this freestanding unit are the way to go if you want large amounts of airflow and not much noise.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

I bought a Wind Machine 20 years ago for like $20 and it's still going strong, it's actually the same box fan that I now use on my deck to push cool air into my home. It's all plastic but the blades are thick and sturdy, it has full range of pitch, and the motor is powerful but not insanely so. Looks like they're closer to $40-50 now but that's what I'd recommend

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I’ve sold my motorcycle, purchased a bidet, and am now looking at saltillo tile to get rid of this dumbass LVT poo poo that was installed in the bedrooms

I feel old lol

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Seriously it seems like most stores don't even sell window fans or their window fans suck poo poo, I don't know why.

Stop buying into the goon wisdom of don’t shop online, instead you can embrace Bezos if you are having trouble with brick and mortar —

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-fan/

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-window-fans/

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Sirotan posted:

Are....are you me? Pretty much my identical situation except he lived here 30 years instead of 50 and I already tore out the nasty dog/cat (I hope) urine stained carpeting up there the day after I closed. Anyway, I also found some tidbits here that might be good food for thought: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/insulation-radiant-vapor-barriers/425143-insulation-cape-cod.html

:hfive: Thanks for the link, I don't know where you are located but part of the challenge in finding good info about insulating Cape Cods is the most contractors are worried about ice dams but thats not an issue here in Portland, OR. Cold is less of a worry, heat has become the biggest concern and most homes in the PNW don't have AC but thats rapidly changing. If we decide that this house will be a long-term home my biggest focus is insulating and air sealing as much as possible as our climate becomes more and more like Arizona.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

raggedphoto posted:

:hfive: Thanks for the link, I don't know where you are located but part of the challenge in finding good info about insulating Cape Cods is the most contractors are worried about ice dams but thats not an issue here in Portland, OR. Cold is less of a worry, heat has become the biggest concern and most homes in the PNW don't have AC but thats rapidly changing. If we decide that this house will be a long-term home my biggest focus is insulating and air sealing as much as possible as our climate becomes more and more like Arizona.

Michigan, where I have to be concerned in equal parts about the cold and the heat. My house has no soffits (roof does not extend beyond the house at all in fact) and I have not had any issues with ice dams beyond what builds up inside my gutters. It is colder up there in winter but maybe 5 degrees colder than what my first floor is, versus it's probably 90+ degrees up there right now when its 73 where I am. In the winter I could put on a sweater, in the summer it is loving miserable.

I have already got my heart set on installing this minisplit system right underneath the window that is the farthest from the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Stop buying into the goon wisdom of don’t shop online, instead you can embrace Bezos if you are having trouble with brick and mortar —

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-fan/

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-window-fans/

Goons were talking about water filters in the Amazon discussion because those are easy to counterfeit and difficult to verify whether they're doing anything. I don't think that's something Box Fan purchasers need to worry about lol

E: those window fans are $100-150 and the flimsy looking "cheaper alternative" is $70, this is exactly the problem that I was talking about. A good quality box fan is $40. A good box fan that fits in a window should not cost several times that.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 14, 2023